ALIENS vs Predator: Why the Hate?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

On my 3rd play-through of this game recently... Old game, but I love it.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#2 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
The AvP and AvP 2 on PC were incredible games back in the day. Haven't played the 2010 AvP on consoles yet.
Carving_a_GSAU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Carving_a_GSAU
Member since 2012 • 58 Posts

MonkeySpot

i'll buy it off ya

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
I just didn't have fun with it.. :(
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I just didn't have fun with it.. :(MethodManFTW

me neither

-Vulpix-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 -Vulpix-
Member since 2008 • 2564 Posts

I liked it quite a bit, had fun playing as Alien mostly.

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
This game has the most atmospheric multiplayer mode I've ever played. Never thought before that a multiplayer deathmatch could feels as creepy as Dead Space 1. Also, the 3-species-gameplay is an awesome concept. Sadly, everything else was lackluster. Were this game a shot more refined on the technical side it would have been the best arena-style multiplayer-shooter I know.
metalgrinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 metalgrinch
Member since 2005 • 455 Posts

I got a copy for my PS3 on the Target bargin bin, sealed for $5.98. Last one left, very lucky find. I had a really good time going through as the marine. The combat system was tight, and I especially liked the whole block/shove/shoot system with the L1 and R1 buttons. Lots of the guns were great too. Decent enough challenge. The Predator mode was cool, but the marine mode is def the best. I wish it was longer though.

And heck, compared now with the new Aliens: Colonial Marines I wouldn't be surprised if sales for this one shot up, as it's a MUCH better game.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

Carving_a_GSAU

i'll buy it off ya

Why would I sell a game I love?

:?

That makes very little sense... I can see a 4th play in the future, most-certainly. I haven't finished it on Insane difficulty (or whatever the hardest setting is called). Gotta at least try...

:lol:

Carving_a_GSAU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Carving_a_GSAU

[QUOTE="Carving_a_GSAU"]

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

MonkeySpot

i'll buy it off ya

That makes very little sense... I can see a 4th play in the future, most-certainly. I haven't finished it on Insane difficulty (or whatever the hardest setting is called). Gotta at least try...

you're harsh man...

MaKillaGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 MaKillaGorilla
Member since 2011 • 292 Posts

Certain campaingns were fun *ie the marines and predator but other sucked d!ck *ie the aliens.

SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#12 SadPSPAddict
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

My eldest certainly thought it was a good game - not so impressed with the more recent one! Just not my sort of thing though.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

[QUOTE="Carving_a_GSAU"]

i'll buy it off ya

Carving_a_GSAU

you're harsh man...

:D

Damn-Right.

Are you having difficulty finding the game, or are you just yanking chain? It's one of my favorite games of the gen... It can get amazingly tense, the sound design is really awesome... It's one of the few games on the PS3 which I've given multiple plays.

If it's not your thing, I can understand. It's certainly not perfect. But in terms of a solo campaign-game, I have a lot of respect for what they achieved. I was (and still am) a big fan of the PC AvP games, and ithought they did a nice job of updating it and expounding on the PC titles for this console release... It's certain;y a better "ALIEN" game than the most recent one... Which, when I see it for $10 or less, I will buy and play, because my fanboy demmands it.

But if you like the "ALIEN" stories, "AvP" is a good addition to your collection, IMO. It's cheap, and pretty common to come by.

:)

Spartan_N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Spartan_N7
Member since 2013 • 581 Posts
I loved it. Its not amazing by any means, but it's damn good fun, just like Colonial Marines.
Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

Some people wated forever for this to only get disappointed because it was a below average FPS.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MonkeySpot

Some people wated forever for this to only get disappointed because it was a below average FPS.

Mrmedia01

Why do you feel that's the case? I didn't think it was "below average", nor do most folks here... Or are you simply parroting things you've read on the Internet, and haven't personally played the game through? My guess is, the latter...

... Please explain.

ALG_82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 ALG_82
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts

I didn't think it was too bad, definitely don't see why it got so many negative reviews. I played through it a couple times. It could have been a lot better and more polished but it's still a fun way to kill a couple of hours.

Carving_a_GSAU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Carving_a_GSAU

[QUOTE="Carving_a_GSAU"]

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

MonkeySpot

you're harsh man...

Damn-Right.

Are you having difficulty finding the game, or are you just yanking chain? It's one of my favorite games of the gen... It can get amazingly tense, the sound design is really awesome... It's one of the few games on the PS3 which I've given multiple plays.

If it's not your thing, I can understand. It's certainly not perfect. But in terms of a solo campaign-game, I have a lot of respect for what they achieved. I was (and still am) a big fan of the PC AvP games, and ithought they did a nice job of updating it and expounding on the PC titles for this console release... It's certain;y a better "ALIEN" game than the most recent one... Which, when I see it for $10 or less, I will buy and play, because my fanboy demmands it.

But if you like the "ALIEN" stories, "AvP" is a good addition to your collection, IMO. It's cheap, and pretty common to come by.

Which AvP game are you talking about anyway. Couldnt be bothered reading your opening post. I just read the title. If you're talking about the one that came out a couple of years back, yeh i got that. Havent played it tho. Installed it, tried it out for a few minutes, then uninstalled it. Now im d/l it from steam again because you keep raving about it. I assume this is the one you're talking about anyway. It better be good man. I remember the grfx with dx11 looked pretty damn sweet actually.

mav_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 mav_destroyer
Member since 2005 • 3073 Posts
Never got the chance to play this one. The last Aliens game I played was Alien: Resurrection waaaaaaaaay back. I do remember being hyped for AvP and really wanted to pick it up, but for some reason I can't remember I never did. I'm gonna keep an eye out for it now.
187umKILLAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 187umKILLAH
Member since 2010 • 1414 Posts

lol at the last voting option and people admitting that's what they are! :P

I love this game, really enjoyed all the campaigns but the one I enjoyed the most was definitely the alien campaign. Walking on all surfaces is quite a cool unique aspect that adds to the escape and stealth element, nothing more fun than clinging to the ceiling of a tunnel and smashing a light, roaring to draw your enemy to you then landing behind them in the dark to impale them with your alien tail. Very underrated game, it certainly deserves more than the 5.5 score that Gamespot gave it that's for sure.

avp3.jpg

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#21 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

[QUOTE="Mrmedia01"]

MonkeySpot

Why do you feel that's the case? I didn't think it was "below average", nor do most folks here... Or are you simply parroting things you've read on the Internet, and haven't personally played the game through? My guess is, the latter...

... Please explain.

There go Monk doing his jedi thing!:P

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I'm glad you made this topic because AVP is on my list of used games I need to get.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MonkeySpot

I'm glad you made this topic because AVP is on my list of used games I need to get.

MarcRecon

Really do, and it's so cheap now, there's not much excuse not to play it through if you like the subject matter... I'm having an "ALIEN" resurgence - I found the entire four-film Blu-Ray for $20 the other day... Pristine condition.

I think that "AvP" is a nice addition to the "ALIEN" as well as "AvP' series, both... Both of which, I like.

Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

love this game on my second playthrough after seeing colonial marines crash T_T

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MonkeySpot

love this game on my second playthrough after seeing colonial marines crash T_T

Djmaster214

I am reserving my judgements for a playthrough (Colonial Marines). I have seen some of the bugs, etc., but then, I remember reading "AvP" reviews where they claimed invisible walls were an outrageous distraction in the "Alien" campaign, and I didn't really have a problem with it, as some reviewers described like it was a water torture or kitten killing sort of crime... I think by the time I find a cheap copy of "ColMarines", some patching will have taken place, and the game (any game), needs to be played by the individual for any final assessments...

... Reviewers are reviewers, they are not the arbiters of taste. I HOPE that "ColMarines" isn't nearly as bad as some reviews have stated... But I also know from experience, that "AvP" was a LOT of fun, and that got beaten bloody in the gaming press around it's launch, as well... Not having spent $60 on it genuinely contributed to my enjoyment factor, I have no doubt...

:oops:

... So when I find a copy of "ColMarines" for under $15us, I'll judge the game. And not before. I'll bet I find I get my money's worth.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
its not the best game and it has some problems like all games, but its no where as bad as many make it out to be.
RoOodriGowW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RoOodriGowW
Member since 2008 • 3309 Posts

Gaw damned GS won't let me vote , but i'd stick with the first if able to do so , game's definetly fun , playing as predators is sooo much fun , "horde" mode is great too and multiplayer is a blast , if only there was anyone to play with.Solid 7,5 for me , lacked some polish , gameplay could have been more improved for this gen , but fun game nonetheless , ppl are strange.I even bought the 2 DLCs :lol:

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MonkeySpot

Gaw damned GS won't let me vote , but i'd stick with the first if able to do so , game's definetly fun , playing as predators is sooo much fun , "horde" mode is great too and multiplayer is a blast , if only there was anyone to play with.Solid 7,5 for me , lacked some polish , gameplay could have been more improved for this gen , but fun game nonetheless , ppl are strange.I even bought the 2 DLCs :lol:

RoOodriGowW

Are those devoted to the MP, or does the DLC add to the single-player experience? I wasn't aware they even existed... I would love to get some more Survival environments (there are only the 2 on the original disc), or some added missions for any of the campaigns... Just finished the Marine campaign again yesterday and started a Marines game on 'Hard', which isn't as punishing as I expected it to be. I'm sure by the time I get to that Queen boss, my opinion will change... But I expected the Club shoot-out to be a LOT more challenging. Perhaps I'm just getting better at using the assault rifle... I didn't even use any grenades...

... On a side-Note, I would like to thank all of you for the input on this discussion, so far... I sorta expected to get flamed out of the page for this thread, pleasantly surprised at the positive posts.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I thought it was pretty awesome, I loved the Marines campaign while the Predators campaign was a hit or miss and the Aliens campaign was interesting the first 30 min but kinda lacked mid-end.

As to answer the question though, people hate the game cause it's not your generic military FPS like CoD.

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts

It was a good game but the gameplay mechanics and level design was dated. Online was great fun though. It was basically just inconsistent with it's 3 different game varieties (aliens,marines,predator) still I think it deserved 7s not 6s and 5 and some 4s from what I remember. The good thing about Colonal Marines being F***ing terrible is that people are realising that this game wasn't that bad.

punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts

For me no aliens/predator game has ever been done right. And they usually have crappy endings for the humans and predators. 

RoOodriGowW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RoOodriGowW
Member since 2008 • 3309 Posts

[QUOTE="RoOodriGowW"]

MonkeySpot

Are those devoted to the MP, or does the DLC add to the single-player experience? I wasn't aware they even existed... I would love to get some more Survival environments (there are only the 2 on the original disc), or some added missions for any of the campaigns... Just finished the Marine campaign again yesterday and started a Marines game on 'Hard', which isn't as punishing as I expected it to be. I'm sure by the time I get to that Queen boss, my opinion will change... But I expected the Club shoot-out to be a LOT more challenging. Perhaps I'm just getting better at using the assault rifle... I didn't even use any grenades...

... On a side-Note, I would like to thank all of you for the input on this discussion, so far... I sorta expected to get flamed out of the page for this thread, pleasantly surprised at the positive posts.

Each of the DLCs adds four maps , 3 being for multiplayer and 1 for the "horde" mode (which you called survival , that's probably the right name) whose name i forgot , so 6 mp maps and 2 horde maps in total!