A way for Sony to make more money for TV shows and movies on PSN

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BobbyBobby85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 BobbyBobby85
Member since 2003 • 10336 Posts

I notice the Playstation store has both Movies and TV shows for sale with prices that vary by the quality of the videos offered. Well, What if they offered sub-standard web quality videos at a reduced bargain price? This would benifit everyone since not only would the prices be more affordable for customers, but also the video files wouldn't take up as much space on the harddrive, and more sales would be generated in the store. I had reasoned this because I purchased a 22 minute TV episode from the store not long ago, but the video size was over 800 MB and the thing costed $2.00! Sure there must be some level ground that can be reached. Also, looking back, I do not feel the show I bought was worth $2.00, and I certainly didn't like the space it took up. Besides all this, I recently subscribed to netflix, and the value of items on the playstation store seem far too overpriced to be a good value to me when I can get unlimited streaming as well as DVD rentals for only like $10 a month.

I am convinced that if the Paystation store offered smaller, lower quality videos for sale at a reduced price, more sales would be generated and everyone would be happy. Personally, I find the $2.00 per episode asking price a bit steep, but I would gladly pay $.50 to $1.00 for shows I wanted to keep and I would be able to store more with the space saved. If Sony were smart, they would do this not only to draw in more customers who aren't so HD obsessed, but they would better compete against those who've moved on to netflix (like myself).

So what are your thoughts? Is video quality, storace space and price a concern for you when perusing videos?

budboarder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#2 budboarder
Member since 2005 • 2304 Posts
Im pretty sure that would make them less money.
BobbyBobby85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 BobbyBobby85
Member since 2003 • 10336 Posts
Im pretty sure that would make them less money.budboarder
You aren't taking into consideration people who don't use the store to buy any videos at all. If they offered lowered price alternatives to these movies and shows on the store, it would open the floodgates for people who are on the fence about buying from the store and make Sony more money by increasing overall sales. Reduced price sales are better than no sales at all. Sony is losing money to alternatives like netflix, and what incentive do people have to spend money on videos from PSN that cost way more and take up huge amounts of space on user's harddrives?
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Just make them affordable I have no clue how the online video industry makes any money. 5.99 for 48 hours WTF what if I have a busy life and can't sit for 2 hours in 48 hours to watch a movie.
T-Machine99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 T-Machine99
Member since 2007 • 1848 Posts

It would be good was some sort of monthly subscription service.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

There are so many ways that Sony could use to get more money but for some reason their not :|.. i mean Pshome. tons of people use it. why not introduce trophies to it and make some Gold trophies unlock when someone buys a.. for example the theater place? or why not they dont offer the ability to let people change their PSN IDs for a small fee?? heck i got all sorts of ideas on how they could get more money. why their not doing anything is byond me. they need better staff :P