A new benchmark for violence in games?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OleAndreasBull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 OleAndreasBull
Member since 2007 • 117 Posts

I have recently watched the scene were Kratos rip the head of Helios. I am a bit surprised that this scene has not caused a debate or discussion about violence in games(or I have missed it)

In my opinion that scene is one of the most brutal and explicit game scenes I have ever seen. Disturbing almost. Given the fact that the graphics in GoW III is stunning no details are left out. Kratos pulls for quite some time while you actually can see the pain and fear in Helios face before he dies. Despite this, gamers seem unaffected byKratos actions. Strange.

Is God Of War iiishaping up to be one ofthe most violent gameever made?

flippin_flames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 flippin_flames
Member since 2008 • 348 Posts

Its all part of the story, a big angry man taking his revenge and destroying all in his way, IMO the violence adds to the experience

Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 Nephilim83
Member since 2008 • 4378 Posts

OleAndreasBull
One can only hope. ;)
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
what is "God of War" without violence? without violence, it's just.... um... "Of".
WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts

No big deal.... I watched a real life vid a few years back of a guy getting his head cut off with a blunt knife slowly while he was screaming in pain all till you heard him all weazy, then you see some taliban guys shoot every single innocent person laying in the ground, head shot per head shot. This my friend was nothing.

david_lck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 david_lck
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

No big deal.... I watched a real life vid a few years back of a guy getting his head cut off with a blunt knife slowly while he was screaming in pain all till you heard him all weazy, then you see some taliban guys shoot every single innocent person laying in the ground, head shot per head shot. This my friend was nothing.

WR_Platinum
That video was seriously hard to watch.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

It's not Kratos' fault that his upgrade is attached to some guy's body.

samosir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 samosir
Member since 2007 • 273 Posts
in first games the violent was insuffice. you can have violence actions and games can be the best game ever! you can see in current affairs that in rl there is cutting heads and ripping heads relations to war in iraq.
josh494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#9 josh494
Member since 2008 • 841 Posts

. Given the fact that the graphics in GoW III is stunning no details are left out. Kratos pulls for quite some time while you actually can see the pain and fear in Helios face before he dies.

OleAndreasBull
That's why we play the game. :)
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

Apparently everyone loves it.

I don't care for God of War.

It just seems like childishness, which isn't bad, but isn't in my taste.

josh494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#11 josh494
Member since 2008 • 841 Posts
[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

Apparently everyone loves it.

I don't care for God of War.

It just seems like childishness, which isn't bad, but isn't in my taste.

*glares*
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

lol, Well it's true... I played both games before I got bored of both of them halfway through.

I only played II because I figured they might have changed it and made it better, but I still didn't find it appealing.

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
glad i actually opened this thread, i thought it would just be another Prototype hype thread (hype for what!? a sub par game with some above average animations!? rant/) i think GOW3 will get the banhammer in AUS and Germany... which is a shame because everyone should have the chance to rip a harpy in half and through the halves at other bad guys :P
Jono789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Jono789
Member since 2009 • 2118 Posts

I can enjoy it as long as i continually think of it as a game, you know..... the taliban beheadings...

samosir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 samosir
in god of war its about killing enemy
Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
in god of war its about killing enemysamosir
Gee.. thanks Captain Obvious! ;)
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
I liked that part where Kratos hit that other person with the sword. That was cool.
OleAndreasBull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 OleAndreasBull
Member since 2007 • 117 Posts

My point is that with the Helios killing scene it seems that God of War raises the bar regarding violence in games. I am not talking about comparing the violence in God of War with real life. Not at all. We have to compare itwith another game.

The violence in the two games before has been over the top and all that, but Helios beheading is quite another matter. Plain gruesome. As much as I have loved God Of War I and II(and probably no III as well) it seems to me that this game can be painful to watch. I guess Helios must be the most violent bosskill in that game, but we will have to see.

Any suggestions of other game scenes that has disturbed you regarding violence. The only games I can think of right now is Manhunt wich also is very violent. Perhaps more than GOW because it is more realistic. Your thoughts?

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

i can see peoples points, but you have to remember that the game is a fantasy tale of old, it's about krato's the last sparton going after the gods lol. now back in them times people saw stuff happen like this on a daily basis in real life. back then entertainment were 2people killing each other. we have a civilised life in this day and age, and i believe that some games should show about of violence, esps of this nature of genre fantasy, it goes back to are basic instincts, kill or be killed and this game is set in that era. i believe you need to get over the fact its violence and remember all it is, is a video game, we aint going to go out and start pulling off peoples heads because we know its wrong so instead we get it in video games, and more than likely the person who's head is being ripped off is of a bad person anyway.

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

God of War and violence go hand in hand.

PTY-LTD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PTY-LTD
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I thought it looked brutal in a great game type of way. Bar that there is alot worse things happening on earth.
I_Object

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 I_Object
Member since 2008 • 85 Posts

You cant blame Kratos for wanting to kill Zeus, he just has to kill some other people for it.

+

Violence is in our nature, its natural. Crazy extremists decap all the time.

God of war IS violence

M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#23 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

A game cannot be great if it doesn't have plentiful of violence and gore. Except for infamous ;)

samosir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 samosir
[QUOTE="samosir"]in god of war its about killing enemyPoisoN_Facecam0
Gee.. thanks Captain Obvious! ;)

if you could please get away from my back
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#25 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts

WR_Platinum
Videogame violence, no matter how graphic, doesn't bother me one bit because I know i'm not watching a real person die. I could not watch the video WR_Platinum mentioned. I would find it very disturbing and I'd probably feel sick.
NatoKenichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 NatoKenichi
Member since 2005 • 1215 Posts

Seriously.

Look at all the games out there.

There are some much much much worse games out there.

Theres games that are so violent/disturbing that certain countires have even banned them.

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
i seen worser real life images. thatsphuked.com is disturbing.
Richboy96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Richboy96
Member since 2009 • 303 Posts

I have recently watched the scene were Kratos rip the head of Helios. I am a bit surprised that this scene has not caused a debate or discussion about violence in games(or I have missed it)

In my opinion that scene is one of the most brutal and explicit game scenes I have ever seen. Disturbing almost. Given the fact that the graphics in GoW III is stunning no details are left out. Kratos pulls for quite some time while you actually can see the pain and fear in Helios face before he dies. Despite this, gamers seem unaffected byKratos actions. Strange.

OleAndreasBull
Yea that kinda crossed the line for me there is Noo way im playing that in my house
hairless_ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hairless_ape
Member since 2009 • 95 Posts

That's why they have the ratings system...if you can't handle M: for mature then leave it on the shelf so some dumb @$$ parent can buy it for their 8 year old.

i seen worser real life images. thatsphuked.com is disturbing.shadowkiller11

grammar please!!!!

bsman00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bsman00
Member since 2008 • 6038 Posts
[QUOTE="OleAndreasBull"]

Have you not seen prototype yet...... i cut a crowd of 20 people in half.....
Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#31 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

Kratos is brutal and the game has to be brutal and over the top.

To me, movies are far more violent than any game because we often seescene of torture or some kind of psychological violence just for the sake of it. to me it is far more worse than just destroy everything in your way.

But well, you can't love every game.

brotherreese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 brotherreese
Member since 2003 • 1049 Posts

OleAndreasBull
Other than detail, there is no difference between that, and Sub-zeros fatality since the original Mortal Kombat games oh so many years ago. Besides, I guess that you haven't seen SplatterHouse or Left4Dead 1 & 2, have you?

WR_Platinum
Not to tell my age, but I've see many things on the video series "Faces of Death". Actual deaths caught on video. It's not as clean or easy as Hollywood makes it seem.

It's not Kratos' fault that his upgrade is attached to some guy's body.

Filthybastrd
Agreed. Helois knew the jobs was dangerous when he took it. :D
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#33 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
Wierd thing is videogame violence barely bothers me at all and I'll watch anything violent a game has to offer. but i can't stand watching real life violence as much. I stay away from bloody movies and stuff cause it just bugs me for some reason and makes me a little sick.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

It would work well in god of war the level of extreme voilent action is what God of War is about.

Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts

WR_Platinum

wow man your hardcore .... .... i just chose to turn those vids off because there's no point in watching them.

BushWacker69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BushWacker69
Member since 2007 • 614 Posts

until god of peace starts selling well everyone is going to try and out gore each other

Trx07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Trx07
Member since 2007 • 1851 Posts

WR_Platinum
Is that something to brag on about?
samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

God of "War", what war doesn't have some sort of violence?

besides the cold war.

SuperMario254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SuperMario254
Member since 2003 • 2897 Posts

[QUOTE="WR_Platinum"]

Trx07

he isn't bragging at all.. I've seen a few of those types of videos myself, he said it to prove a point. Violence in a video game =/= violence on an actual human being, and if one is going to be upset by something like this in a video game, they need to take a stand against the movie industry and start a "stop all war" thing because there are far.. FAR worse things out there then a fictional character having their head ripped off in a video game, all you have to do is hit the reset button and they will have their head back.. sadly, the man who was killed in that video doesn't have a rest button.

Understand what he was trying to say?

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts
How is it strange that some people are unaffected by seeing that? IT'S A GAME. People realize that, it's not like it's real-life or anything...
Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#41 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts
[QUOTE="SuperMario254"]

[QUOTE="Trx07"][QUOTE="WR_Platinum"]

he isn't bragging at all.. I've seen a few of those types of videos myself, he said it to prove a point. Violence in a video game =/= violence on an actual human being, and if one is going to be upset by something like this in a video game, they need to take a stand against the movie industry and start a "stop all war" thing because there are far.. FAR worse things out there then a fictional character having their head ripped off in a video game, all you have to do is hit the reset button and they will have their head back.. sadly, the man who was killed in that video doesn't have a rest button.

Understand what he was trying to say?

I completley understand both sides. So you can watch a video of torture and death on a real life scale and that didn't bother you so you think that seeing something similar on a game shouldn't be a big deal either. I'm not so sure thats a great thing to be so desensitized. It doesn't make you tough. With that mindframe, why shouldn't ps3 games show pornogaphy when the average gamer is well above age to view it? Or how about rape? Is that more graphic than a murder? My point is you have to take a step back sometimes and wonder if its nessasary to have in a game and what crosses over the line. I'm not shocked at GoW III, but I am a little disturbed when I think about the competition thats going to use violence to top GoW. A little more disturbing is knowing people who watch real humans being tortured and murdered...for what purpose? Entertainment? And you didn't think it was any big deal?..wow...
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

For people that have seen far worse things in real life I would ask why? Do you just one day ask yourself, "Hmmm, I wonder what it looks like to have your head slowly cut off,"?

What if it was your girlfriend's head Kratos was ripping off?

brotherreese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 brotherreese
Member since 2003 • 1049 Posts

>

What if it was your girlfriend's head Kratos was ripping off?

Zidaneski

If you ever met either my girlfriend or my ex-wife, you'd know why I'm smiling from ear to ear. :D I'm willing to wager that more than a couple of readers are thinking the same thing.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

WR_Platinum
I'm vexed as to why would you even watch something like that?
Avatar image for deactivated-59506133570df
deactivated-59506133570df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45 deactivated-59506133570df
Member since 2007 • 10348 Posts

The violence isn't really as big of a deal as people make it out to be. People forget that they used to do public executions that the whole town would come to watch, and violence in movies is worse anyways.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-59506133570df

[QUOTE="WR_Platinum"]

verbalfilth

I'm vexed as to why would you even watch something like that?

same here, that's a bit...disturbing

TROD_BING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TROD_BING
Member since 2008 • 768 Posts
If you dont like violence in video games then dont play them, and dont let ur kids play them. Plenty of people like violence in video games and its not gonna change anytime soon.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-59506133570df

If you dont like violence in video games then dont play them, and dont let ur kids play them. Plenty of people like violence in video games and its not gonna change anytime soon.TROD_BING

ya, I don't understand the complaining about violence in video games when there are way worse things out there.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

why would this be debateable, if god of war 1 and 2..didn't get their hand spanked..no way their going to start now :)

metalguitar13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 metalguitar13
Member since 2008 • 1266 Posts

Violence is pwnage