A good starting PSP library

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Okay, I don't even own the system yet, but I preordered the Big Boss Bundle yesterday. In this inbetween time, I plan on occasionally picking up games here and there. The problem is that the system has been out for quite a while and I'm not exactly sure where to start. (Is the system region free) I guess I'm looking to fill a few genres:

Fighting - What is the all around best fighter on the platform? I'm more of a Street Fighter person, but I like Tekken as well. I don't necessarily mean the best playing one either, but the overall package. Which one has the best multiplayer/which one uses wifi/ does it perform well?/is there a community around the game. I'm definitly pick up Power STone Collection, but other than that I don't know. Any "old" school Street Fighter games on the system?

RAcing - Is Gran Turismo really the best racer on the platform?

Golf - Pangya, Hot Shots, or Tiger Woods? Leaning towards one of the first two as I usually find Tiger rather bland. Also, how come the first Hot Shots is rated higher than the second?

Action - God of War? Anything else worth it off the bat?

FPS - one analog stick scares me. Suggestions? I was thinking about Star Wars Battlefront...

Collection Games - any suggestions?

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

lumines
lumines 2
ridge racers
ridge racers 2
wipeout pure
wipeout pulse
daxter
jak & daxter lost frontier
ratchet & clank
killzone liberation
locoroco
locoroco 2
final fantasy crisis core
gran turismo
gta liberty city stories
gta vice city stories
gta chinatown wars
crush
breath of fire III
tekken 6

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

Okay, I don't even own the system yet, but I preordered the Big Boss Bundle yesterday. In this inbetween time, I plan on occasionally picking up games here and there. The problem is that the system has been out for quite a while and I'm not exactly sure where to start. (Is the system region free) I guess I'm looking to fill a few genres:

Fighting - What is the all around best fighter on the platform? I'm more of a Street Fighter person, but I like Tekken as well. I don't necessarily mean the best playing one either, but the overall package. Which one has the best multiplayer/which one uses wifi/ does it perform well?/is there a community around the game. I'm definitly pick up Power STone Collection, but other than that I don't know. Any "old" school Street Fighter games on the system?

RAcing - Is Gran Turismo really the best racer on the platform?

Golf - Pangya, Hot Shots, or Tiger Woods? Leaning towards one of the first two as I usually find Tiger rather bland. Also, how come the first Hot Shots is rated higher than the second?

Action - God of War? Anything else worth it off the bat?

FPS - one analog stick scares me. Suggestions? I was thinking about Star Wars Battlefront...

Collection Games - any suggestions?

Heirren

You should get these games :

Final Fantasy VII : Crisis Core

Tekken Dark Resurrection

Tales of Eternia

Resistance Retribution

Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops

God Of War - Chains Of Olympus

Killzone Liberation

Secret Agent Clank

Daxter

Ratchet and Clank Size Matters

Syphon Filter Dark Mirror

Syphon Filter 2 Logan's Shadow

Little Big Planet

Jak and Daxter : The Lost Frontier

Assassin's Creed : Bloodlines

Dante's Inferno

kingmav222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 kingmav222
Member since 2004 • 493 Posts

MGS Portable Ops is pretty good if you're into Metal Gear.

Edit: nvm, beat me to it ^^

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#5 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
I'd give you a list, but most games I'd recommend are tactical or RPG-like. Resistance Retribution looks like something for you.
tekken220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 tekken220
Member since 2008 • 5105 Posts
Fighting- Get Blazblue, it's a port of the PS3 version but with more content. The PSP version of Tekken 6 is garbage IMO. Racing- If you have a PS3 and planning to get GT5, get GTPSP because you can transfer every car you bought in there to GT5. Golf- Eww :P Action- Resistance Retribution or GOW:COO. FPS- Nothing Collection- Big Boss bundle seems fine...
Drayco90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Drayco90
Member since 2010 • 27 Posts
Dissidia Final Fantasy was an entertaining fighting game. God of War Chains of Olympus was without the best action game avaiable right now on the PSP, but you may also want to look into 300: March to Glory, if you can find it cheap and Castlevainia Dracula X Chronicles if you want a challenge. Littlebigplanet is suberp. Racing wise, I recomend a Burnout game.
JohnnyWPSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#8 JohnnyWPSP
Member since 2009 • 1895 Posts

First of all, the PSP is region free. Here are answers to your questions:

Fighting: Tekken 6 is propably the best.

Racing: Kind of. The Midnight Club series is also great.

Golf: Hot Shots Golf is great! Havent tried the other ones yet.

Action: Definetly God of War. Dantes Inferno is also pretty sweet.

FPS: Its no problem with one analog stick when you get used to it. Try the FTB series and Resistance.