5.1 surround sound with ps3 question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bazookajoe19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bazookajoe19
Member since 2006 • 827 Posts
i have an old reciever and it doesn't have HDMI. in the ps3 manual it says you con only get 5.1 surrond sound with HDMI. so i connected my ps3 to my tv with hdmi then used av cables to connect my reciever to my tv (audio out on tv to reciever audio in). will i get true 5.1 surround sound?
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
No you will need a digital connection for a true surround sound. You can use the optical outputoption for sound on the PS3. Unless you have a system like I have that had no optical input but it did have the coaxl digital input. I had to get a coaxl to optical converter that works very well.
bazookajoe19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bazookajoe19
Member since 2006 • 827 Posts
doesnt have optical. i think i will get a new reciever with HDMI
jdang307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jdang307
Member since 2006 • 1512 Posts

you don't need HDMI to get 5.1 sound. You can use optical, just to clarify your first question. But if you're looking at a new receiver for HDMI, make sure it will accept a multi-channel PCM signal for extra quality. There are HDMI receivers that will not accept PCM. This is good for games that use it (Resistance) and Blu-Ray movies.

Cheapest ones i know are the Onkyo 604/605 and Panasonic XR-57.

thunnisett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thunnisett
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Hi

I have a PS3 , a 1080p TV and a DVD player with surround sound (Which does not have an HDMI / Optical) Can I get 5.1 digital surround sound on the PS3?

I currently have a "IN - Co-axial, OUT - Optical" converter, but I believe this is the wrtong converter. Do I need to get one the other way around and connect the optical lead to the PS3 to the converter then a RCA cable to the DVD player?

Is this is the way then in what plug does the RCA cable go into the DVD player.

Thanks, I am really **** at these things.

tony - thunnisett@aol.com

No you will need a digital connection for a true surround sound. You can use the optical outputoption for sound on the PS3. Unless you have a system like I have that had no optical input but it did have the coaxl digital input. I had to get a coaxl to optical converter that works very well.jimm895

thunnisett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thunnisett
I have a panasonic SA HT530 dvd player and surround. Not sure where to plug the optical converter RCA cable into?
mamkem6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mamkem6
Member since 2007 • 1457 Posts

The three main audio output options on the PS3 are the HDMI, TOSLINK (optical digital), and AV Multi cable. HDMI and TOSLINK are digital connections, whereas the AV Multi cable is analog. Both HDMI and TOSLINK can support more than two channels of audio (up to 7.1 for HDMI and 5.1 for TOSLINK), while the AV Multi cable can only support two analog channels (left and right) for connecting directly to the two RCA jacks that lead to your speakers.

The PS3 provides options for either "Bitstream" or "Linear PCM" when outputing the audio signal. This option is located in the "Settings->BD/DVD Settings->BD/DVD Audio Output Format(HDMI)" and "Settings->BD/DVD Settings->BD Audio Output Format (Optical)" settings of your XMB. Linear PCM is audio data that is not encoded (nor compressed) and is in it's pure digital form, ready for conversion into analog for the speakers. A regular CD stores all its songs in Linear PCM form. Most audio starting with the DVD store digital data encoded and compressed (like Dolby Digital or Digital Surround). If "Bitstream" option is selected, the PS3 will take this undecoded and uncompressed audio and send it untouched to the HDMI or TOSLINK cable for your external decoder to decode. In other words, the receiver at the other end of the HDMI or TOSLINK must have special chips that can decode and uncompress formats like Dolby Digital and DTS Digital Surround, and then convert the resultant Linear PCM to analog (via a DAC) for the speakers connected to the external decoder. If "Linear PCM" option is selected, the PS3 will actually decode the audio into Linear PCM first, before sending it to the HDMI or TOSLINK. In this case the receiver on the other end of the HDMI or TOSLINK only needs to convert the Linear PCM to analog for the speakers connected to it. Because of the current bandwidth limitations of TOSLINK, choosing Linear PCM (the decoded and uncompressed signal) on this connection limits you to only two channels of audio. For multichannel (like 5.1) over TOSLINK, you must use "bitstream", which uses smaller bandwidth of compressed and encoded data.

thunnisett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thunnisett

??????????? thats made me even more confused..... ha. very informative though.

I would insert a optical cable into the PS3 and connect it to the digital optical converters which then turn the output to a RCA connection. where do I connect this RCA cable to in my DVD surround player?

will this give me 5 speaker surround? what setting on the PS 3 would I need to use.

mamkem6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mamkem6
Member since 2007 • 1457 Posts

??????????? thats made me even more confused..... ha. very informative though.

I would insert a optical cable into the PS3 and connect it to the digital optical converters which then turn the output to a RCA connection. where do I connect this RCA cable to in my DVD surround player?

will this give me 5 speaker surround? what setting on the PS 3 would I need to use.

thunnisett

5.1 Channel via RCA Cables:

This type of signal transfer is the most low tech but requires more cables to transfer the 6 channels of audio. It simply uses 6 RCA type cables/connectors. This type of connection is generally used to transfer the signal from a component with a 5.1 channel (Dolby Digital or DTS) surround sound decoder to a receiver, preamp or multi-channel amplifer.

Or you canuse optical from your ps3 to converter ,than coaxial cable from converter to your dvd

thunnisett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thunnisett
i got optical from PS3 to the converter then a single RCA cable to the DVD player but not sure which hole to plug to into the DVD player? I cant get it working
thunnisett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thunnisett

Thanks for that onfo, it was helpful. I have a converter and now a digital co axial cable but the only plugs on the back of my DVD player is this

VCR Audio in & VCA audio out (Colours are red & white)

Component video out (Progressive / interlace) Pb, Pr, Y, Video out (Colours are blue, green red and yellow)

S Video out

Scart

IS THIS POSSIBLE

blazewand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blazewand
how can i have 5.1 surround sound without using the optical and coax cable bcs my dvd player does not have a optical and coax slot. can i use a component AV cable for 5.1 sound?
Tripleccc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tripleccc
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
HI
i have a question im not dure at all , i want to play games with my home theater at a 5.1 channel surround sound . The problem is i dont know how. I have the AV multi ( 5 color cable ) Hoked up into the back of my Home theater and the other end to the ps3 . Does this give me a 5.1 channel surround sound ? or i need a different cable to give me that 5.1 surround sound channel? ANYONE PLEASE HELP
hazuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 hazuki
Member since 2003 • 3959 Posts

Ok, to sum all this up, if your reciever is NOT getting a hdmi or optical source, you're not getting true 5.1 on a ps3. Your tv does not convert signals it gets from hdmi to 5.1 if you use RCA cables.

Unless you use 6 rca cables, you don't get even get analog 5.1. BUT the ps3 does NOT support the analog 5.1 setup. Most standalone blu-ray players do, but the ps3 doesn't. No game console does. The ps3 only does 5.1 and up with optical and hdmi. Connecting those to your tv, and trying to use rca outs does nothing but give your reciever a regualer 2 channel setup.

So either upgrade your reciever, or live with 2 channel sound. Pro logic 2 isn't going to help much in this situation, since most games on the ps3/360 don't support it. Only one I've ever noticed to, was the guitar hero games.

hazuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 hazuki
Member since 2003 • 3959 Posts

HI
i have a question im not dure at all , i want to play games with my home theater at a 5.1 channel surround sound . The problem is i dont know how. I have the AV multi ( 5 color cable ) Hoked up into the back of my Home theater and the other end to the ps3 . Does this give me a 5.1 channel surround sound ? or i need a different cable to give me that 5.1 surround sound channel? ANYONE PLEASE HELP Tripleccc

I'll reply to this, since it may help explain the last post.

No, your not getting 5.1 right now. Hooking up the 5 color cable to your home theatre is hooking your *red green and blue* component video, and *red and white* STEREO sound. You CAN NOT get true 5.1 out of red and white RCA jacks. On a ps3, you must use the optical port to plug up a optical cable to your amplifier, or plug up a HDMI cable to your amplifier. Now you can plug a HDMI output to your tv, but your tv must output either HDMI or optical as well. Using the 2 rcas does not work.

Now if a tv sent out 6 rca jacks, then its theoretically possible. But is there a tv that sends out 6 rcas for sound similtaniously for 5.1? Never have seen one before.

crazman724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 crazman724
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
You actually can use the Toslink separately for audio from any of the other outputs. Check out this video, http://youtu.be/DE5Bl53YN1Q?hd=1, i have the product featured in it to get true surround sound to use on my legacy sound system and it works great with my system and at a great price too!
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Necro thread,well done.