• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 G-Legend
Member since 2005 • 7387 Posts

I'm just curious to if people would use PSN if Sony charged $30 (half) of what XBL charges for the exact same features. Granted you'd get game inviting through PSN and not game-to-game, party system through PSN with your own chat rooms etc..And more things on the PS store.

smithster118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 smithster118
Member since 2008 • 3910 Posts

I would definitely still use it.

Bow-T_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Bow-T_88
Member since 2007 • 1544 Posts

I'm just curious to if people would use PSN if Sony charged $30 (half) of what XBL charges for the exact same features. Granted you'd get game inviting through PSN and not game-to-game, party system through PSN with your own chat rooms etc..And more things on the PS store.

G-Legend
HELL NO. because they dont sell psn cards or XBOX LIVE here. sufficient that I cant even buy nothing off the PS store, so a fee would mess every thing up.
nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

Hell no.

Beyond the fact that I don't really play online anyway, there is simply no excuse for Sony (or Microsoft) to charge to play online. If the PC offers free online play that runs better, often feature free DLC, not to mention mod support, then I see no reason that console manufacturers should charge.

king23_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 king23_
Member since 2007 • 18169 Posts
I would probably still do it because one of the main reasons I game this gen is for online so if I wanted a full experience (my Wii doesn't count) then I'd start paying for PSN. I'm very glad Sony is giving us PSN for free so I don't have to worry about this.
Avatar image for deactivated-60a18c108ffa9
deactivated-60a18c108ffa9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-60a18c108ffa9
Member since 2008 • 7541 Posts
No. I would just play single player.
LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
well im currently paying for XBOX LIVE but if sony were to charge half of what MS charges then i would gladly cancel my service with MS and start paying for PSN (cuz theres no way in hel im going to be paying for 2 online services)
bluem00se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bluem00se
Member since 2005 • 2185 Posts
I'd pay for it but I'm fine with the PSN the way it is now. The only feature it's really missing is seamless cross-game chat and seamless cross-game invites, stuff like that. But most of my friends have 360s anyways. The one feature I'd want more than any of that stuff is completely seamless cross-game ingame music, whenever you want. Killzone 2 has done it the best so far, but it still sucks compared to the seamless in-game music system the 360 uses. Though that isn't really an online feature, so it wouldn't apply to the PSN thing...
Avatar image for b3yondstupidity
b3yondstupidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 b3yondstupidity
Member since 2007 • 12500 Posts
Nope, that'd just be stupid.
Dark-Star13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dark-Star13
Member since 2009 • 2849 Posts

I would definitely...................NOT!!!!!!

ZenesisX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 ZenesisX
Member since 2008 • 1651 Posts

I wouldn't, i would feel ripped off that what was once free is now price tagged.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
No, never. I don't care about all those features at all. I don't need cross-game chat and funky stuff like that. I only want the simple online gaming which I'm already paying for by purchasing games and an internet connection.
NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

I'm with all the other crazy people. I probably would pay for it. :P

G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 G-Legend

Hell no.

Beyond the fact that I don't really play online anyway, there is simply no excuse for Sony (or Microsoft) to charge to play online. If the PC offers free online play that runs better, often feature free DLC, not to mention mod support, then I see no reason that console manufacturers should charge.

nyc05

Agreed, the thing is, I think Sony CAN offer those same things for free, they'd just have to do it differently, hopefully in the near future they will add similar friend things like that. The one thing sony desperately needs is in-game chatroom, if they had that, then PSN would definately be a lot closer to XBL, because it would act like a party feature and would allow you to talk to your friends whilst gaming.

redskins2156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 redskins2156
Member since 2007 • 2553 Posts

I would not pay for online, I already pay $59.99 for the games, why do I have to pay more just to play it online.

mitchconlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 mitchconlin
Member since 2005 • 1218 Posts

theres noway, i dont pay for xbl why would i pay for psn?

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

[QUOTE="nyc05"]

Hell no.

G-Legend

Agreed, the thing is, I think Sony CAN offer those same things for free, they'd just have to do it differently, hopefully in the near future they will add similar friend things like that. The one thing sony desperately needs is in-game chatroom, if they had that, then PSN would definately be a lot closer to XBL, because it would act like a party feature and would allow you to talk to your friends whilst gaming.

To a degree that can be done inside Home, but I don't think you can form a party where everyone is voice chatting. When it comes down to it, Xbox Live Gold members are paying to maintain a service. You see, everything is run by Microsoft and the Xbox Live that's still available from the original black box was just expanded upon. This mean you can still download the extra content for Knights of the Old Republic, and even play Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge if you wanted too. This is a big plus for developers simply because they aren't paying money to maintain servers to provide gamers content. Because of this gamers are force to pay.

The Playstation Networkis notunifiedjust with communication, but every single game that has online multiplayer is hosted by the developer who created it instead of Sony. This is just one reason why Sony doesn't charge users a fee to play games online(or for other *&*^) simply because developers are paying money to host their servers instead of them. The only negative to this is that developers can take servers down if it's costing them more money to maintain it or the popularity of the game is low. For instance, on Xbox Live, Ace Combat 6 has no one playing online during the weekday, and you might find two online sessions during the weekend if you're lucky. If Namco had that game available on the PS3, I'm pretty sure the servers would have been shutdown already. This is a common trend for both PC, and past PS2 games. In fact, Dirge of Cerberus, Final Fantasy VII originally had a online multiplayer mode. It was removed from the NA version, and Square Enix shut down the servers to it in Japan halfway through the year.

There are a lot of PC games today who force users to connect toa developer'snetwork for copyright purposes in order to play online(even if it's free and peer to peer). Companies still have to pay for that. Of course if you have an illegal copy of a game, you can connect to a server created by another player. But he too his force to pay money in order to maintain. Bandwidth isn't free..

At the end of itdeveloperspay money to allow you to play games online for free on the PC and PS3. With Xbox Live you pay the moneydevelopers would have paid in order to maintain Microsoft's online service. That's also why developers aren't as hesistant to put DLC on Live either. Both the Sony and Microsoft do have a sort of one-time "installation" charge for developers putting content on their service. But as some of you just found out, Sony charges developers $0.16 per GB consumed bygamers for the first couple of months the content is on their network.

chathuranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chathuranga
Member since 2003 • 3549 Posts
I don't play much online anyways so probably not.
G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 G-Legend

[QUOTE="G-Legend"]

[QUOTE="nyc05"]

Hell no.

NeoGen85

To a degree that can be done inside Home, but I don't think you can form a party where everyone is voice chatting. When it comes down to it, Xbox Live Gold members are paying to maintain a service. You see, everything is run by Microsoft and the Xbox Live that's still available from the original black box was just expanded upon. This mean you can still download the extra content for Knights of the Old Republic, and even play Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge if you wanted too. This is a big plus for developers simply because they aren't paying money to maintain servers to provide gamers content. Because of this gamers are force to pay.

The Playstation Networkis notunifiedjust with communication, but every single game that has online multiplayer is hosted by the developer who created it instead of Sony. This is just one reason why Sony doesn't charge users a fee to play games online(or for other *&*^) simply because developers are paying money to host their servers instead of them. The only negative to this is that developers can take servers down if it's costing them more money to maintain it or the popularity of the game is low. For instance, on Xbox Live, Ace Combat 6 has no one playing online during the weekday, and you might find two online sessions during the weekend if you're lucky. If Namco had that game available on the PS3, I'm pretty sure the servers would have been shutdown already. This is a common trend for both PC, and past PS2 games. In fact, Dirge of Cerberus, Final Fantasy VII originally had a online multiplayer mode. It was removed from the NA version, and Square Enix shut down the servers to it in Japan halfway through the year.

There are a lot of PC games today who force users to connect toa developer'snetwork for copyright purposes in order to play online(even if it's free and peer to peer). Companies still have to pay for that. Of course if you have an illegal copy of a game, you can connect to a server created by another player. But he too his force to pay money in order to maintain. Bandwidth isn't free..

At the end of itdeveloperspay money to allow you to play games online for free on the PC and PS3. With Xbox Live you pay the moneydevelopers would have paid in order to maintain Microsoft's online service. That's also why developers aren't as hesistant to put DLC on Live either. Both the Sony and Microsoft do have a sort of one-time "installation" charge for developers putting content on their service. But as some of you just found out, Sony charges developers $0.16 per GB consumed bygamers for the first couple of months the content is on their network.

If Sony re-vamped they could do it through home. They could just run their system through home practically. Invites, game launching, chat, accessing the store, but it's seperate from PSN. That's a problem Sony either works on home or on PSN.

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

I would only pay for the PSN if it was better than LIVE

psyum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 psyum
Member since 2006 • 3268 Posts
No :) i wouldnt :) i would just be doing what some do on LIVE just creat an infinite amount of accounts to play for free :P
Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

does anyone know that PSN is protecting sony from making people install full pirated games on the HDD and thats one of the reasons that sony will keep PS\n free forever.

byrdcjb100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 byrdcjb100
Member since 2008 • 383 Posts

if it cost id switch to 360

Steel_Rain777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#24 Steel_Rain777
Member since 2007 • 1776 Posts

Hell no.

nyc05

^^^ Amen, Brother

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#25 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

if you would have asked this question a year ago, I would have said HECK NO, but now I would say HECK YEAH!!! With all of the updates over the past year or so it's finally up to par with most of XBL's features.

mmielnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26 mmielnik
Member since 2003 • 471 Posts

No, considering the fact that PSN isnt even half as good as Xbox Live now there is no way i would pay for it unless somehow it surpassed xbox live. Im a poor college kid and there is no way i could handle 2 payments for seperate online accounts. I dont see sony ever surpassing microsoft in online gaming, microsoft has that niche.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MarcRecon

does anyone know that PSN is protecting sony from making people install full pirated games on the HDD and thats one of the reasons that sony will keep PS\n free forever.

Kashiwaba

Yeah I heard that from one of my super geek buddies....but the free thing I'm not to sure about. lol....even if they did start to charge, I would be cool with it "ONLY" if they charge the same or less then LIVE

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MarcRecon

No, considering the fact that PSN isnt even half as good as Xbox Live now there is no way i would pay for it unless somehow it surpassed xbox live. Im a poor college kid and there is no way i could handle 2 payments for seperate online accounts. I dont see sony ever surpassing microsoft in online gaming, microsoft has that niche.

mmielnik

I use live to dude, what exactly does it offer that the PSN doesn't.(other then voice messaging)???

maverick_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 maverick_76
Member since 2005 • 2188 Posts

I'm not sure if I would, I guess I would have to if I couldn't game online though.

volume_three

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 volume_three
Member since 2005 • 2142 Posts

No way. Granted I only purchase exclusive titles for my PS3.

G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 G-Legend

mmielnik

Read my post i said granted it offered the same things live did.

Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Furi-Kun
Member since 2007 • 10903 Posts

If they do that, then I would have to get a job.

NpaMercenary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 NpaMercenary
Member since 2008 • 316 Posts

Yep. I would pay it.

Avatar image for doomsday_selena
doomsday_selena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 doomsday_selena
Member since 2009 • 173 Posts
Maybe Sony should make some killer new games for the PS3 to make money instead of going the easy way out because there are SO many boring PS3 games it's unbelievable.
b11051973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 b11051973
Member since 2002 • 7621 Posts
95% of my online gaming is on Xbox 360. If Sony started charging, I would not pay. Unless of course they updated the PSN to be more like Xbox Live.
iamshivy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 iamshivy
Member since 2007 • 3565 Posts

i would find a new hobby

AnthonyLuu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AnthonyLuu
Member since 2004 • 665 Posts

hell no. i don't even play online that much anyways

-Shooter-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 -Shooter-
Member since 2006 • 4295 Posts

No thanks.

envybianchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 envybianchi
Member since 2004 • 1155 Posts

I would not pay for online, I already pay $59.99 for the games, why do I have to pay more just to play it online.

redskins2156

nelfer320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nelfer320
Member since 2004 • 2867 Posts

[QUOTE="redskins2156"]

envybianchi

That is why I'm not an online gamer.
backatcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#42 backatcha
Member since 2008 • 278 Posts

I would pay.

piefight100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 piefight100
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
It would be better
Karaam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 Karaam
Member since 2005 • 678 Posts
I would if it ended up surpassing the xbox live like other ppl said, but no the hefty amount of 60$, I already have to spend that amount on games, now even more since I live in Canada and because of the economy and the cost of importation, some 3rd party games cost 65 even 70 dollars plus the taxes, 80 bucks droping on one friggin game. So that sums it up.
Ipik_Fenris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ipik_Fenris
Member since 2005 • 3627 Posts

maybe ill switch to PC gaming...50 bucks for live is one of the reasons why i dont own a 360 (besides RRoD)

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
no, i wouldnt use PSN anymore, no more online play
winner-ps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 winner-ps3
Member since 2007 • 2364 Posts
no
RoganSarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 RoganSarine
Member since 2005 • 1490 Posts
I'd start buying all multiplatform games on the 360 if Sony charged. I personally like how the Xbox does their online (and I highly doubt paying for online would make them pump features out any faster that XBL has) in terms of the party groups specifically and other minor things. Also, they arnt missing the custom soundtrack for sports games in all their games (EA soundtracks suck), so its a more complete game. If I am going to pay, I may as well pay to play what all my friends got
PS3Fanaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PS3Fanaddict
Member since 2009 • 491 Posts
no
Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#50 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts

Hell no.

nyc05
agreed. but um didnt you get on to me last week about mentuning the PC on ps3 boards?