2008 - Let the Disappointment Begin!

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jeffbase33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jeffbase33
Member since 2007 • 317 Posts

2008 is starting to unfold into a year of gaming disappointment. First, Haze sucked. Then we find out that no Final Fantasy game will hit the PS3 for a long time. Even worse, Square, Atlus, and Namco have all turned traitor, and they are releasing the RPGS on other consoles.

Then the delays. August was set to be a killer month with Saints Row 2 and Brothers in Arms. These games got pushed back. The only title to get excited about this month is Mercenaries 2. Then we get infinite delays. I almost wished the gaming press would stop giving us previews. I'm tired of the letdown. I found out that Mafia 2, Ghostbusters, and Brutal Legend no longer have a release date. These games may get canned altogether.

The list of AAA titles appears to be whittling down. :(

G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 G-Legend
Member since 2005 • 7387 Posts
What? lol what diappointments...MGS4 was amazing :D GTA IV was great whiles it lasted. Resistance 2 will be amazing, Tekken 6 is coming, LBP, Motorstorm, Fall out 3, Naruto, Bioshock and more plus don`t forget 2.4 and HOME.
ProjectTrinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ProjectTrinity
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts
Home is coming out? I thought it was an Urban Myth! =o
lantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 lantus
Member since 2006 • 10591 Posts
Why can't you go cry in your blog? Really this a pathetic excuse for a thread, there are more than enough games coming out this fall to keep me going far into '09, then in Spring we get all of Capcom's heavy hitters like Resident Evil 5, Bionic Commando and Street Fighter IV.
never100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 never100
Member since 2005 • 127 Posts
I will say the things you say are not good, but there are a lot of good. I think so far it a good year.
xmitchconnorx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xmitchconnorx
Member since 2007 • 2649 Posts
LittleBigPlanet and Fallout 3 alone will make 2008 an amazing year.
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts
Well I don't know about you, but MGS4 and Fallout 3 make this year pretty good for me. I would like to get LBP and Ghostbusters aswell.
Avatar image for lions_rock_2008
lions_rock_2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 lions_rock_2008
Member since 2005 • 1121 Posts

BOO HOOO, go cry into ur pillow if ur that blind to see the games comming out...

ChiSoxBombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ChiSoxBombers
Member since 2006 • 3700 Posts

2008 is starting to unfold into a year of gaming disappointment. First, Haze sucked. Then we find out that no Final Fantasy game will hit the PS3 for a long time. Even worse, Square, Atlus, and Namco have all turned traitor, and they are releasing the RPGS on other consoles.

Then the delays. August was set to be a killer month with Saints Row 2 and Brothers in Arms. These games got pushed back. The only title to get excited about this month is Mercenaries 2. Then we get infinite delays. I almost wished the gaming press would stop giving us previews. I'm tired of the letdown. I found out that Mafia 2, Ghostbusters, and Brutal Legend no longer have a release date. These games may get canned altogether.

jeffbase33

I couldnt disagree with you more, and, coming off a 5-day suspension, im not in the mood for getting too arguementative, but i will say that 2008 is far from over. LBP, R2, motorstorm, SOCOM, HOME* (note the asterisk), and so many more are gonna make this year a year to remember in the gaming world. We were introduced to one of the most epic endings to a heroic tale of one Solid Snake. We shot it up with Niko Bellic in argueably on of the most beautiful and well designed sandbox games to date. We got our first glimses of the future with MAG, DC online, Killzone 2 real gameplay, and got goosebumps running up and down our bodies as we saw the first teaser trailer for GoW3.

If Sony fans all had the mindset of Cubs fans (which i am not) we'd all be saying "This is our year", and this time, we'd be right. The games are flying in, our console's potential is starting to be seen, and the level of creativity and innovativeness is at its peak.

Its 2008...and its one helluva year for gaming. Peace.

LuckyLy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LuckyLy
Member since 2008 • 1987 Posts

jeffbase33

Haze did not suck imo, I enjoyed the game. We all knew that Final Fantasy XIII wouldn't hit the PS3 till 2009 so no disappointment there. How did Atlus betray Sony? The only games they've released on the 360 are mediocre at best. We're still getting the Shin Megami Tensei exclusive. Square is supporting each platform equally, Infinite Undiscovery is exclusive because Microsoft paid for it. The Last Remnant is timed and Star Ocean 4 will mostly be timed also. While the PS3 is getting Final Fantasy XIII Versus exclusively. Fair trade I would say.

Sure, Namco released Ace Combat 6 and Tales of Vesperia exclusively on the 360 (for now at least), I'll be damned if we don't see future Ace Combat titles on the PS3. If you remember awhile back, there was scans for a Tales PS3 game from Namco so expect announcement in TGS. Don't forget we're getting Eternal Sonata from Namco this fall.

Saints Row 2 and Brother in Arms were never killer apps so not loss there. We're still getting them this year. Are you forgetting the amount of exclusives we're getting this year?

Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm

Valkyria Chronicles

Disgaea 3

Resistance 2

LittleBigPlanet

Motorstorm 2

SOCOM: Confrontation

Singstar Vol. 2

Afrika

I'm sure I am forgetting some.

jeffbase33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jeffbase33
[QUOTE="jeffbase33"]

LuckyLy

Haze did not suck imo, I enjoyed the game. We all knew that Final Fantasy XIII wouldn't hit the PS3 till 2009 so no disappointment there. How did Atlus betray Sony? The only games they've released on the 360 are mediocre at best. We're still getting the Shin Megami Tensei exclusive. Square is supporting each platform equally, Infinite Undiscovery is exclusive because Microsoft paid for it. The Last Remnant is timed and Star Ocean 4 will mostly be timed also. While the PS3 is getting Final Fantasy XIII Versus exclusively. Fair trade I would say.

Sure, Namco released Ace Combat 6 and Tales of Vesperia exclusively on the 360 (for now at least), I'll be damned if we don't see future Ace Combat titles on the PS3. If you remember awhile back, there was scans for a Tales PS3 game from Namco so expect announcement in TGS. Don't forget we're getting Eternal Sonata from Namco this fall.

Saints Row 2 and Brother in Arms were never killer apps so not loss there. We're still getting them this year. Are you forgetting the amount of exclusives we're getting this year?

Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm

Valkyria Chronicles

Disgaea 3

Resistance 2

LittleBigPlanet

Motorstorm 2

SOCOM: Confrontation

Singstar Vol. 2

Afrika

I'm sure I am forgetting some.

Don't forget that we are talking about Delaystation here though! There is no guarantee that these titles will release in 2008. Personally, I'm sick of the shoot the alien FPS title. Mafia 2 would have been a great breath of fresh air

LuckyLy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LuckyLy
Member since 2008 • 1987 Posts
If you think any of the games I've listed will be delay then you're out of your mind.
machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 machiavell8x8
Member since 2008 • 1399 Posts
breaking news resistance 2 goes multiplate and will go gold january 2010
gekidami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 gekidami
Member since 2004 • 2446 Posts

jeffbase33

Haze, Saints Row 2, Brothers in Arms, Mercenaries 2, Mafia 2, Ghostbusters, and Brutal Legend... Waoh... Your taste in games is amazing, who could exspect those games to disapoint? /sarcasm

Unknown_Hero3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Unknown_Hero3
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts

jeffbase33

this one tops the guy who said MAG is going to be the best game ever lol....idk how people pull these things out!:lol:

PS3videos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 PS3videos
Member since 2007 • 834 Posts

jeffbase33

The good news is that I wasn't/am not excited about any of those games. So, yeah.

ShadowBass989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 ShadowBass989
Member since 2004 • 1734 Posts
i wasnt excited for n e of those games. i came into august knowing this would b my last month of getting to hang out with friends. bioshock, little big planet, resistance 2 are coming up. then we got iron man and transformers on blu ray and i believe dark knight might get on blu ray for the end of the year, but thats starting to look doubtful cause i think it will b in theatres for a while.
jeffbase33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jeffbase33
[QUOTE="jeffbase33"]

Why is that good news for the gaming public? There are plenty of people who are excited about these titles. Have you ever played Mafia? It is freaking amazing.

PS3videos

The good news is that I wasn't/am not excited about any of those games. So, yeah.

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

breaking news resistance 2 goes multiplate and will go gold january 2010machiavell8x8

:lol:

the day that happens is the day chimps taken over and rule the world 8)

rey931

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rey931
Member since 2006 • 97 Posts
dude how is resistance 2 going to be delayed if resistance 2 close beta started less than a week ago
machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 machiavell8x8
Member since 2008 • 1399 Posts

dude how is resistance 2 going to be delayed if resistance 2 close beta started less than a week agorey931

well sir if i really wanted it, i can write all kinds of numbers on this check, whats it gunna take

~bill hates

ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts

dude how is resistance 2 going to be delayed if resistance 2 close beta started less than a week agorey931

Because it was a joke, genius.

nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

2008 has been a stunning year thus far. If you're going to look at the negatives and let them outweigh the positives, then that's your business, but for me 2008 has been an epic year full of incredible games.

What's most exciting is that it's only August, and tons of excellent games are set to come out in the next 4 months. After those 4 months we enter 2009, and much like 2008, it looks to be one hell of a year.

All in all, I can't think of a better time to be a gamer.

If it isn't obvious enough, I completely and totally disagree with your post.;)

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

Most of the games that have been delayed have been multiplats on both platforms this year, so I don't know where this delaystation still is. Yes last year it was barebones, but this year every game on PS3 that has been multiplat has run equally as well as 360 except for vegas 2 and viking battle asguard. We have gotten a few cool exclusives like Hot Shots Golf 5, GT 5 prologue, MGS4 and Disgaea 3 comes out next week. We just had like 6 PSN games that are exclusive come out in the past 2 months or so. All of which are worth a look. Ok it is true that all of Sony's games don't come out until October for the most part except for Valkyria Chronicles and Resistance 2. We still have a couple more PSN exclusives on the way so I don't see where all the whining comes from.

First of all FF is not made by Atlus at all. We are still getting FF13 on PS3 so who gives a hoot. Square didn't develop Infinite Undiscovery Tri Ace did. We have a couple RPG's coming are way like Cross Edge and White Knight Story. I can understand the RPG statement but...IT'S GETTING OLD AND QUICK. Lost Odyssey, Blue dragon and to a certain extent even though it is the best out of the 3 Eternal Sonata really weren't that great. Tales of Vesperia seems cool but it is just like the others. Infinite Undiscovery's story seems cool but it is made by the people who did star ocean so there isn't a huge reason to play basically the same game twice. Half of your statement on how PS3 08 sucks was mentioning multiplats so your post is practically useless.

choasgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 choasgod
Member since 2005 • 5710 Posts
lol at the TC i guess he has forgotten about.

DMC4, GTA4, MGS4, BF:GC, Civ: Revolution, Rainbow 6: Vegas 2, Echocrhome, Bionic Commando, PixelJunk Eden etc.

And coming up this year is: LittleBigPlanet, Resistance 2, Bioshock(PS3), Rachet & Clank: Quest for Booty, SOCCOM:Confrontion, Fat Princess, etc.

2008 is one of the best years in gaming ever...
Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

The only disappointing thing here is you overlooking many great games.

Who cares if some RPGs are released on other consoles? If it's still going to be on the PS3 it shouldn't matter too much. The ones that are exclusive to the 360 could eventually come to the PS3 so just take a chill pill. You don't need to say the whole year failed when a couple bad things happen. MGS4 and GTA4 both got 10s from here and I really don't think you could call a year with two games as great as that a failure.

Avatar image for CorporateHammer
CorporateHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CorporateHammer
Member since 2007 • 992 Posts

Well I guess Im a bit of a different breed, games for 08,

Ferrari Challenge, NBA 09 (yes, I liked 08), NHL 2k9, Afrika, LBP, SOCOM more than enough to get me through 08. I don't like delays either but I would prefer a delay rather than a broken game with a mythical patch to fix it. I thought HAZE was decent and would have been alot better had they delayed the release, so The delays suck but will be worth it in the end IMO.

justin_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 justin_06
Member since 2006 • 782 Posts
LittleBigPlanet and Fallout 3 alone will make 2008 an amazing year.xmitchconnorx
hip-hop-cola2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hip-hop-cola2
Member since 2007 • 2454 Posts
the guy is can say ps3 is looking bad! he smells of troll, but its an opinion. hell, the only game's im looking forward to are fallout 3 and LBP. The rest is looking shaky, but that's my opinion. but you bunch of lames jump on the attack because he insulted your black box.
hip-hop-cola2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hip-hop-cola2
Member since 2007 • 2454 Posts

[QUOTE="xmitchconnorx"]LittleBigPlanet and Fallout 3 alone will make 2008 an amazing year.justin_06

double blessing!

shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
Dissapointment? Madden 09, Tiger Woods 09, Resistance 2, Socom Confrontation, Little Big Planet, Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, Rainbox Six Vegas 2, Battlefield: BC, Metal Gear Solid 4 etc... Your standards are set at an unbelievably high level. Gaming isn't for you.
da_post_office

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 da_post_office
Member since 2007 • 207 Posts

dude lol pay attention theyre taking applications from some ppl to get the closed home beta.

Zuperflee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zuperflee
Member since 2005 • 236 Posts

jeffbase33
With Grand Theft Auto IV in April, Metal Gear Solid 4 in June and Little Big Planet in October... 2008 is, to put it mildly, 20 times more exciting than 2007, so I'm ok actually.
pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 pyromaniac223
Member since 2008 • 5896 Posts
I like how people call Squareenix a traitor, as if it was supposed to have some sort of loyalty to Sony. Square is a company, it likes money. It did what it did for the money.
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

What? lol what diappointments...MGS4 was amazing :D GTA IV was great whiles it lasted. Resistance 2 will be amazing, Tekken 6 is coming, LBP, Motorstorm, Fall out 3, Naruto, Bioshock and more plus don`t forget 2.4 and HOME.G-Legend

That sums it up. 2008 has been amazing so far.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts

Oh my GAWD.

You forgot MGS4. I don't think I can forgive you.

This thread is beyond facepalms. I don't even want to go through the trouble of giving you an insulting image.

Unknown_Hero3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Unknown_Hero3

Oh my GAWD.

This thread is beyond facepalms. I don't even want to go through the trouble of giving you an insulting image.

hazelnutman

i was going to put one p but it wasn't worth it...

P.S your animation sig makes me crack up everytime i see it :P

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

Oh my GAWD.

hazelnutman

Dude you came back too? GB was getting really stale...

CronoSquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CronoSquall
Member since 2008 • 915 Posts
"Turning traitor", eh? You do realize the Playstation brand got where it is by getting developers to "turn traitor" on Sega and Nintendo, right? Metal Gear and Final Fantasy didn't originate on the Playstation, you know. In fact, Metal Gear started on a Microsoft PC gaming platform. By your own logic, MGS4 should go back to where it came from, in order for Konami to not be a traitor. Guys, these are profit driven companies. Loyalty to them is wasteful, they do not owe you anything.
CronoSquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CronoSquall
Member since 2008 • 915 Posts

GB was getting really stale...

thelastguy

It always seemed stale to me, but I just signed up about a week and a half ago. I couldn't make it past two posts. The overall design and layout of the forums is a disaster, and the site itself is just too "low budget" for me to get behind.

Unknown_Hero3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Unknown_Hero3
[QUOTE="thelastguy"]

GB was getting really stale...

CronoSquall

It always seemed stale to me, but I just signed up about a week and a half ago. I couldn't make it past two posts. The overall design and layout of the forums is a disaster, and the site itself is just too "low budget" for me to get behind.

i was going to sign up but....it just looks so boring..GS looks and feels alot better

linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts
ps3 will probably get ff13 in late 09 in japan, which i will import on release
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hazelnutman
[QUOTE="hazelnutman"]

Oh my GAWD.

thelastguy

Dude you came back too? GB was getting really stale...

What are you talking about :P

I was always here. I never left GameSpot. I'm equally active in both GB and GS, and always have been.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hazelnutman
[QUOTE="hazelnutman"]

Oh my GAWD.

Unknown_Hero3

i was going to put one p but it wasn't worth it...

P.S your animation sig makes me crack up everytime i see it :P

Hehe, I love my sig. That dance GIF image is over 8MB :P

jeffbase33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jeffbase33

2008 has been a stunning year thus far. If you're going to look at the negatives and let them outweigh the positives, then that's your business, but for me 2008 has been an epic year full of incredible games.

What's most exciting is that it's only August, and tons of excellent games are set to come out in the next 4 months. After those 4 months we enter 2009, and much like 2008, it looks to be one hell of a year.

All in all, I can't think of a better time to be a gamer.

If it isn't obvious enough, I completely and totally disagree with your post.;)

nyc05

Stunning? The year is mostly gone, and I can't think of more than 10 good titles released this year. 2008 looks to be a repeat of 2007 where the year starts out with this huge list of games to get excited about. Then delays and cancellations drops the list significantly. I just saw that Borderlands is pushed back to 2009. Cross that one off the list. Word in Conflict got pushed from Sept to 2009.

I'm not saying there will be no good games for the rest of the year. My point is that the great list of releases is quickly dropping due to delays and cancelations. There is no guarantee that these games will be released in 2008. Other than LBP and Resistence, I am uneasy about the rest of the big hits for the year.

In the end, we may end up with the same year as 2007 with a small handful of exclusives, and the battlecry will be, "2009 looks to be the best year ever" lol

pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 pyromaniac223
Member since 2008 • 5896 Posts
Why would you ever get World in Conflict for a console...It's system specs aren't high, and it would be miles better on a pc.
SethSOMT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 SethSOMT
Member since 2004 • 1067 Posts

EA is to blame for half you reasons...

But still, October will not disappiont for the PS3. Not at all!

haishido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 haishido
Member since 2008 • 58 Posts

**DOOD** I have been playing Disgaea for quite some time now, and Disgaea 3 doesn't look to disappoint. NBA 2K9, COD4, Dynasty Warriors, Madden 09, (need we say more) FFXIII and Versus (Believe me, It should be worth the wait). You can at least give credit where credit is due...there are enough games to keep you busy until the game you want comes out.

All this coming from a guy that borrowed a PS3 from a buddy of his. (Im starting to want a PS3 over the other guys)

hodges_3_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 hodges_3_5
Member since 2008 • 351 Posts
you're right, 2 TEN ratings in a couple months is a HUGE disappointment....:roll:
john7219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 john7219
Member since 2006 • 101 Posts
No dissapointment, other than my blu-ray drive fizzling out. The games coming up should be great. MGS4 was very interesting. Some cutscenes were drawn out, but overall the game was extraordinary. LBP looks interesting and I have it on preorder. May buy R2, Fallout 3, Motorstorm:PR, Socom, and some others.