1st gen ps3 vs ps3 slim

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Physorac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Physorac
Member since 2011 • 373 Posts

So my boss is selling a 1st gen ps3 (the ones that are backwards compatible with ps2 games) and I asked him how much he wanted for it, cause i've always wanted a 1st gen ps3. He told me not to bother because they're more prone to YLOD. Is this true?

Avatar image for deactivated-589cfb21cbc03
deactivated-589cfb21cbc03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-589cfb21cbc03
Member since 2009 • 840 Posts

from what i've read, yes. the fat ps3's tend to get the ylod alot more often than the ps3 slim. and not trying to be mean but other than the backwards compatibility, why would you want a fat ps3? a ps3 slim takes up about 30% less power which would save you some money on the electric bill

Physorac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Physorac

from what i've read, yes. the fat ps3's tend to get the ylod alot more often than the ps3 slim. and not trying to be mean but other than the backwards compatibility, why would you want a fat ps3? a ps3 slim takes up about 30% less power which would save you some money on the electric bill

barry000
Electric bill doesn't really concern me. I just want one because of the sole reason it's backwards compatible.
Avatar image for deactivated-589cfb21cbc03
deactivated-589cfb21cbc03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-589cfb21cbc03
Member since 2009 • 840 Posts

oh ok. well save up some money just in case it dies sooner than you think because backwards compatible ps3's are getting harder to find

Physorac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Physorac

oh ok. well save up some money just in case it dies sooner than you think because backwards compatible ps3's are getting harder to find

barry000
Yea very true, thanks.
starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

[QUOTE="barry000"]

Physorac

Electric bill doesn't really concern me. I just want one because of the sole reason it's backwards compatible.

2 of my friends have the old PS3's and neither one of them have had issues with them. If you want the one with backwards compatibility, I'd go for it.

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts

[QUOTE="Physorac"][QUOTE="barry000"]

starfox15

2 of my friends have the old PS3's and neither one of them have had issues with them. If you want the one with backwards compatibility, I'd go for it.

i got 2 60gb ps3s from launch of 2006 and both are running fine till now. so TC if u want a BC ps3, go for it just make sure he has it in good condition
ShangTsung17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ShangTsung17
Member since 2011 • 839 Posts

So my boss is selling a 1st gen ps3 (the ones that are backwards compatible with ps2 games) and I asked him how much he wanted for it, cause i've always wanted a 1st gen ps3. He told me not to bother because they're more prone to YLOD. Is this true?

Physorac

absolutely not bro, its actually the other way around entirely, the slim's are the one's catching the ylod.. the reason new model owners claim that bs is because they wanna beleave they got something better than the rest of us, yet they're the one's always getting ylod.. ignorance is bliss i guess, so far i've had 2 friends within the same year buy a slim model ps3 and both caught the ylod in that very same year, no bs.. yet ironicly enough all my friends who own the old 80 gig fatties have not, hell i've had mine over 5 years now, bought it the week ps3's hit the market and no issues what-so-ever.. coincidence? i don't think so.. i even read an article on the matter and it stated that when the slim models first released they had to recall thousands from the factory cause of this issue, my guess is all the slim's turning up with this problem are those which didn't get recalled.. google it seriously..

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

Physorac

Yes. It is 100% fact that the fat ps3 are more prone to ylod. About 12% of the fats would get ylod or fail within their first 2 years. Only 6% of the slims would and that was based on a study. Still much better than +30% of the xbox360. With the latest slims, it is probably way more dependable now and may have 3% fail rate.

The fat ps3s uses more electric ---> more electric means more heat ---> more heat means more failures. It isn't a coincidence that the hottest machines are failing more often. All my friends fat ps3 runs hot and sounds like a chopper with their fans. It is impossible to watch movies on in my opinion.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

find out when the First generation of PS3 was made. November 2006 launch models of 60GB and 20GB have issues with YLOD. There was some faulty Batches of PS3 Lots.

I have a FEB 2007 Model of 60 GB Playstation 3 Which works fine and has not given me any problems. The PS3 Slims 120/250/320GB are designed to resist Ylod.

If you want a Backwards Compatible Playstation 3. Then by all means get it. Only if you still buy and play Playstation 2 games today in 2012. I do I have about 137 PS2 games. So Having a PS3 60Giger was important to me. I originally had a PS3 40Giger when it launched brand new for $400.00. But I have a large collection of PS2 and PS1 games and I still buy and play PS1 and PS2 games even today. So I searched everywhere for a PS3 60giger and found one. For $250.00 with 2 controllers.

So if you really want a BC PS3 then buy your bosses. Otherwise a PS3 Slimline brand new costs $250.00 for a 160giger.

To avoid Ylod Slims are your best bet.

Avatar image for Victorious_Fize
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Victorious_Fize
Member since 2011 • 6128 Posts
My fat PS3 have been with me for 5 years and plays everything fine. Don't get them unless you really want the BC feature.
Physorac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Physorac

find out when the First generation of PS3 was made. November 2006 launch models of 60GB and 20GB have issues with YLOD. There was some faulty Batches of PS3 Lots.

I have a FEB 2007 Model of 60 GB Playstation 3 Which works fine and has not given me any problems. The PS3 Slims 120/250/320GB are designed to resist Ylod.

If you want a Backwards Compatible Playstation 3. Then by all means get it. Only if you still buy and play Playstation 2 games today in 2012. I do I have about 137 PS2 games. So Having a PS3 60Giger was important to me. I originally had a PS3 40Giger when it launched brand new for $400.00. But I have a large collection of PS2 and PS1 games and I still buy and play PS1 and PS2 games even today. So I searched everywhere for a PS3 60giger and found one. For $250.00 with 2 controllers.

So if you really want a BC PS3 then buy your bosses. Otherwise a PS3 Slimline brand new costs $250.00 for a 160giger.

To avoid Ylod Slims are your best bet.

Megavideogamer
Hmmm, I'm not a gambler, looking at these responses it's really 50/50. Looking at it now it does seem pointless seeing as though I already have a ps2... Thanks everyone :)
ydnarrewop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 ydnarrewop
Member since 2004 • 2291 Posts
Yep they are more prone, but it's an old Fatty!!! If you can get a good price on it you should definitely get it :)
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

There is no proof that the old PS3's are more prone to YLOD, so I would say go for it. The only reason you would hear about the fat models failing is because they have been around longer. I have a system since December 27th, 2006, and it still runs just fine.

HoVDaHuSTLa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HoVDaHuSTLa1
Member since 2006 • 1288 Posts
I did it last year around this same time, and is still running! Go for it dude, I rather get a fat PS3 from my boss than a random person in CL. But that's just me.
darktoothxo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 darktoothxo
Member since 2003 • 97 Posts

I trade with someone on CL's last years for a fat PS3 80GB. Played find for a 2 weeks then got YLOD. It was a PS3 replacement from Sony.

sizzlingdviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sizzlingdviper
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts

Physorac

Yep-Most original "FAT" PS3s have or will get the dreaded YLOD mainly caused by break down of the thermal paste.

I bought a YLOD 60GB PS3 November 2011,sent it off to be repaired by a highly rated PS3 repairer,and all was well,for 6 weeks anyhow.Then while i was playing MW2,which i had only just bought,my PS3 suddenly shut down,then when i managed to power back up,shut down again in YLOD mode with my new disc stuck inside.

I contacted the repairers,who said they would collect and repair again,which they attempted,but alas,seems like my video card was now fried,cos it came back with no picture or sound.So sadly,I decided to sell it as spares.

You take a look on ebay any day of the week and you will see absolutely hundreds of broken "FAT" PS3s for sale-mainly with YLOD.

Now saving for a 320GB Slim,and can't wait to play all my PS3 games again including Skyrim and Uncharted 3-neither of which I managed to play before my PS3 Broke!

accesdenied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 accesdenied
Member since 2008 • 485 Posts

I would get it, therese so much potential in the original ps3 you can run linux. backward capable with ps2 and 1 game i think the ps1 is via sim. but still that feature is rarely mentioned

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
The old PS3 models are really unreliable, you would be better off just getting a PS2 than relying on that for BC.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

I would get it, therese so much potential in the original ps3 you can run linux. backward capable with ps2 and 1 game i think the ps1 is via sim. but still that feature is rarely mentioned

accesdenied

The old PS3's cannot run linux anymore. The feature was removed with an update.

igsmither

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 igsmither
Member since 2012 • 96 Posts
The old PS3 models are really unreliable, you would be better off just getting a PS2 than relying on that for BC. Sepewrath
^^This if you really want to play your old games, I wouldn't buy an old ps3 especially from someone as it will most likely be packed with dust galore
ShangTsung17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ShangTsung17

[QUOTE="Physorac"]

BH14

Yes. It is 100% fact that the fat ps3 are more prone to ylod. About 12% of the fats would get ylod or fail within their first 2 years. Only 6% of the slims would and that was based on a study. Still much better than +30% of the xbox360. With the latest slims, it is probably way more dependable now and may have 3% fail rate.

The fat ps3s uses more electric ---> more electric means more heat ---> more heat means more failures. It isn't a coincidence that the hottest machines are failing more often. All my friends fat ps3 runs hot and sounds like a chopper with their fans. It is impossible to watch movies on in my opinion.

and where exactely is your proof of this sir? i'm guessing not only are u a slim ps3 owner but are making this up as u go along.. just cause u wanna feel special about your new model, but can i ask why spreading lies and making older model owners all paranoid helps this? we both know none of it is true.. if so then how can u explain me having owned one since they first released and not one problem since? *impossible to watch movies on it???* lmfao seriously??? thats when i knew u were full of sh!t and just making sh!t up.. my 80 gig old model will play movies that are so scratched up they freeze on any other player including my laptop! but i keep them only cause they play like new without so much as skipping on my ps3 console.. dunno how but they do, i'm not trying to get on your case but i just think its wrong to spread lies like this on a forum, getting people all paranoid just so u can fuel your ego.. its not cool.

GHO5T-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GHO5T-
Member since 2011 • 419 Posts
The old PS3 models are really unreliable, you would be better off just getting a PS2 than relying on that for BC. Sepewrath
sizzlingdviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sizzlingdviper
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts

accesdenied

I think one of the previous updates blocked the linux feature on all original PS3s for "security" reasons,cos i once installed it on my launch 60GB PS3,but when i purchased my 2nd ps3-A 80gb "FAT" model,i seem to remember not being able to install linux.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BH14

and where exactely is your proof of this sir? i'm guessing not only are u a slim ps3 owner but are making this up as u go along.. just cause u wanna feel special about your new model, but can i ask why spreading lies and making older model owners all paranoid helps this? we both know none of it is true.. if so then how can u explain me having owned one since they first released and not one problem since? *impossible to watch movies on it???* lmfao seriously??? thats when i knew u were full of sh!t and just making sh!t up.. my 80 gig old model will play movies that are so scratched up they freeze on any other player including my laptop! but i keep them only cause they play like new without so much as skipping on my ps3 console.. dunno how but they do, i'm not trying to get on your case but i just think its wrong to spread lies like this on a forum, getting people all paranoid just so u can fuel your ego.. its not cool.

ShangTsung17

Whatever makes you sleep at night. It seems like you are the only one paranoid. What a crazy idea that Sony would try to improve on their launch PS3 that used a ton of electric, sounded like a chopper and got so hot that you could fry eggs on it. As I said before, just because your fat ps3 is working doesn't mean anything...... It is impossible to watch movies on because it is SO LOUD. Every single fat ps3 I heard is too loud for me to enjoy a movie. I know it plays movies but I can't enjoy it when the chopper fan is running in the background.

But you can tell yourself.... "my fat ps3 is quiet, uses less electric than the slims, never gets hot and all those ylod from users are all lying". The stats don't lie and to believe that Sony wouldn't be trying to improve on their ps3 is silly. Everybody knows that launch systems tend to have the least reliability because the companies are always trying to improve upon it.

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts

[QUOTE="ShangTsung17"]

BH14

Whatever makes you sleep at night. It seems like you are the only one paranoid. What a crazy idea that Sony would try to improve on their launch PS3 that used a ton of electric, sounded like a chopper and got so hot that you could fry eggs on it. As I said before, just because your fat ps3 is working doesn't mean anything...... It is impossible to watch movies on because it is SO LOUD. Every single fat ps3 I heard is too loud for me to enjoy a movie. I know it plays movies but I can't enjoy it when the chopper fan is running in the background.

But you can tell yourself.... "my fat ps3 is quiet, uses less electric than the slims, never gets hot and all those ylod from users are all lying". The stats don't lie and to believe that Sony wouldn't be trying to improve on their ps3 is silly. Everybody knows that launch systems tend to have the least reliability because the companies are always trying to improve upon it.

ok i dont know why u 2 are arguing, although both of u are right to an extend. BUT it really isnt true that ALL fat ps3 models are vulnerable to YLOD that is kinda false. why? cuz more than half the community had older models, and when they got the new slim ones which of course its better, but doesnt make it fact that older models are far more vulnerable to YLOD, its just either coincidence or they didnt take good care of it. i know for a fact that more than half the ps3 users now own the older models, yea its unfortunate that some did get YLOD, but guess what the slim are just as vulnerable. just go Google and youtube it,. old fat ps3 models are just as good, besides the fact they energy guzzlers lol. BH12 is right, though. my 60gb ps3 sometimes runs smoother and quieter than my slim. so again, the older models dont have any higher or worse failure rate, it just happens to be that most ppl owned the older models longer and use it excessively and when they got the slim they automatically assumed its better. my girls brother went through 3 ps3 slims and hes OCD with his electronics so i dont know why or how ppl keep saying its the fat ones with more failure rate when in reality its all consoles regardless of how they were made and what new improvements they have added. they are all vulnerable to YLOD period!
ShangTsung17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ShangTsung17

[QUOTE="ShangTsung17"]

BH14

seriously man, speak for yourself, my ps3 console is no louder than my laptop, only time i can even hear it is during start up, it damn sure doesn't stop me from watching movies, and it sure as hell doesn't run hot as a oven as u say, i've played the bastard up to seven hours before and it still feels no hotter than usual.. doesn't hog electricity either, i have a weak breaker in my house, trust me i would know.. thats obsurd.. my only guess is that u got one with a few bugs, i dunno.. but either way i'm in no mood for a flame war, like u said.. whatever helps u sleep at nite, beleave what u want friend.

ReviewerDrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ReviewerDrake
Member since 2011 • 805 Posts

^ It is a proven fact that PS3 Slims run cooler then fat PS3's. It is also a proven fact that they use less electricity and if you think I'm telling lies just look it up or speak to Sony yourself why is it so hard for you to accept that Sony improved the PS3.

ShangTsung17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ShangTsung17

^ It is a proven fact that PS3 Slims run cooler then fat PS3's. It is also a proven fact that they use less electricity and if you think I'm telling lies just look it up or speak to Sony yourself why is it so hard for you to accept that Sony improved the PS3.

ReviewerDrake

i HAVE googled it sir, purely just to see if there's any truth to this slim ps3 fanboy nonsense u kiddies talk about and the only thing i've ever found is the opposite of what you'll claim, it IS a fact that the new models have quite the many issues, one ofcourse being the YLOD, so in a way you'll are right, just @ss backwords.. first off sir i have a slim ps3 still in the box unopened, i bought it last year figuring my oldey would die soon enough, ofcourse i have had no issues what-so-ever which leads me to beleave u fellas just like feeling *special* lol

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

[QUOTE="ReviewerDrake"]

ShangTsung17

i HAVE googled it sir, purely just to see if there's any truth to this slim ps3 fanboy nonsense u kiddies talk about and the only thing i've ever found is the opposite of what you'll claim, it IS a fact that the new models have quite the many issues, one ofcourse being the YLOD, so in a way you'll are right, just @ss backwords.. first off sir i have a slim ps3 still in the box unopened, i bought it last year figuring my oldey would die soon enough, ofcourse i have had no issues what-so-ever which leads me to beleave u fellas just like feeling *special* lol

It has nothing to do with feeling special.. The fats are more prone to ylod, because they draw more electricity, which equals more heat. The ylod is mainly caused by the (cheap) thermal paste getting to hot. Of course both consoles still get ylod, just the ones that draw more heat are more prone to it.
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

Yes, fat PS3s are actually more unreliable than slim PS3s.

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

I agree with everyone who said the newer model is better. Just wanted to add that the slim also makes less noise.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BH14

I don't know what is funnier... the xbox360 fanatics declaring the xbox is better than ps3 or now that we have "fat ps3 fanatics" with their blinders on refusing to look at the failure rates, refusing to look at their 90nm cell processor that burned a ton of electricity and got very hot. Sony went from a 90nm cpu cell processor to a 45nm cpu cell processor. Excessive electric means the excessive heat melts thermal paste which means more failures. Simple science. 380 watts to now 230 watts?

Fat 1st gen with typical launch system bugs that we always see with LAUNCH SYSTEMS ---> latest slim ps3 is a 4th gen........ And people believe that Sony wasn't improving the system's reliability in all that time?

ShangTsung17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ShangTsung17

omg... like i originally posted, ignorance is bliss i suppose.. keep beleaving this bs if it makes you'll feel better, i on the other hand go by *proof* not fanboy rants.. i am done with this argument.

btw i hooked up my slim model out of blind curiousity and you're wrong about the sound, same as the fat 80 gig it hums when starting up, while playing they sound identical, in other words... u sir made that up! :roll:

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BH14

omg... like i originally posted, ignorance is bliss i suppose.. keep beleaving this bs if it makes you'll feel better, i on the other hand go by *proof* not fanboy rants.. i am done with this argument.

btw i hooked up my slim model out of blind curiousity and you're wrong about the sound, same as the fat 80 gig it hums when starting up, while playing they sound identical, in other words... u sir made that up! :roll:

ShangTsung17

And we really "believe" that you had a brand new slim ps3 in the box that you bought a while ago and you just did a side by side test comparison to your fat.... Sure you did but you said it in a forum so it has to be true. I also bought a fat ps3 model, took it out of the box and did a side by side test and I just cooked some eggs on it. Maybe your fat launch ps3 was the only fat ps3 that had used 45nm processor as well. Talk about a fat ps3 and some people go in a roar like I insulted their mothers. So weird.

ReviewerDrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ReviewerDrake
Member since 2011 • 805 Posts

ShangTsung17

No one is trying to bad mouth your precious Fat PS3 for the love of god the only thing everyone is trying to say is that the Slims use less electricity which is a (((FACT))). Them using less means they won't burn out as fast as a fat no one is doubting your fat has lasted this long all we are saying is if you are buying a PS3 for the first time your better off going with the Slim model GEEZ....... Oh yeah one more thing your mom is fat now you have a reason to flame out on me.

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts

The fat ones look ugly and perform terribly in my experiences. Get the slim, well worth it.