Who thinks that graphics is not important?

• 119 results
skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts

Graphics is not a big factor for me. What is important is the gameplay. Just look at GTA, Bully, and SotC, graphics are not that awesome but very great game. I don't like very fine graphics like Onimusha and God of War but the good thing is the graphics suits the those game. Best graphics for PS2 for me is RE4.

Dragongamer99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Dragongamer99
Member since 2006 • 98 Posts
I've always felt that graphics weren't that important at all.  All that matters is if the game is fun.  Look at God of War, a very good looking game, but to be honest, I didn't think it was all that fun.  People tend to neglect that though, as long as it looks pretty, they think it's great...
joslop500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 joslop500
Member since 2005 • 1215 Posts
graphics are a big factor for me, after playing so many HD games playing a SD game just seems dull, once you go hd you cant go back
quack_er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 quack_er
Member since 2005 • 1570 Posts
For me it Story/Music, Gameplay, Graphics. I rather be reeled into a game with an awesome story and environment then be dazzled by graphics but the disappointed by lack of story.
Avatar image for psychocrazydude
psychocrazydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 psychocrazydude
Member since 2003 • 35 Posts

I agree with quack_er, its all about the storyline and the music...graphics dont matter if you have a great story line and a stellar soundtrack.

lwright38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lwright38
Member since 2005 • 232 Posts
Not important, but it doesn't hurt that graphics are good and easy on the eyes           
gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gamenux
Member since 2006 • 5308 Posts
Stop kidding yourself. Graphic is just as important. It is part of the gameplay. Gameplay is just the overall. Graphics can help enhance the gameplay. Imagine playing your favorite ps2 games on Atari graphic.... it won't be much fun, would it?
Avatar image for TheCrimsonKoopa
TheCrimsonKoopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheCrimsonKoopa
Member since 2006 • 2031 Posts
Graphics are important.
gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gamenux
Member since 2006 • 5308 Posts
Stop kidding yourself. Graphic is just as important. It is part of the gameplay. Gameplay is just the overall. Graphics can help enhance the gameplay. Imagine playing your favorite ps2 games on Atari graphic.... it won't be much fun, would it?gamenux
As a gamer, I experience each next generation of games to have better gameplay, better sound, better controls, better graphic, bigger maps, more interaction, etc. etc... The bar should be higher not lower.
Frankazami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Frankazami
Member since 2006 • 1517 Posts
Um...first off the way you make it out to be, graphics and gameplay aren't mutually exclusive. For example, I gain more of a satisfaction out of killing a convincingly realistic orc that dies in a realistic fashion than shooting down a bird that's composed of a few sprites and has 1 or 2 frames of animation.
dante_123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 dante_123456
Member since 2005 • 15011 Posts
to be honest graphics are one of the least important things for me. a perfect example would be the original SMB on the NES, the game doesn't really look that great, but imo it is one of the funnest games of all time, and it has one of the best sound tracks of all time.
tidus_20023

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tidus_20023
Member since 2003 • 157 Posts

Stop kidding yourself. Graphic is just as important. It is part of the gameplay. Gameplay is just the overall. Graphics can help enhance the gameplay. Imagine playing your favorite ps2 games on Atari graphic.... it won't be much fun, would it?gamenux

of course playing ps2 games that have Atari graphics would suck, it wouldn't be the same game engine therefore it wouldn't really be the same game

we dont care if the graphics are good or not as long as the game still has a good game engine, and a good game engine means good gameplay

_gorgon_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 _gorgon_
Member since 2006 • 137 Posts
I really don't care about graphics... what the hell! I still love pixels!
aerialstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 aerialstrike
Member since 2004 • 89 Posts
its a factor but not the biggest one. gameplay is important, i dont care if the characters are stick figures as long as its enjoyable and replayable for x amount of times. most developers today focus too much on graphics they forgot to make the game playable. the only ps2 game i replayed was MGS3 and RE4 and only twice. i remember playing legend of zelda, super mario world. yoshis island, chrono trigger, secret of mana and FFIII like past ten times and i enjoyed every moment of it. am i missing a good game or what? i cant finish every GTA for some reason it gets boring, god of war and FFX i played once, kingdom hearts 1, 2 and FFXII im halfway into the game and i just stopped. i got dozens of games stocked in my cabinet, played it for an hour, put it back in the disk cover and never touched it again.
hi_rev_kev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hi_rev_kev
Member since 2006 • 452 Posts

My favourite game to this day is still Shining Force2 for Genisis/Megadrive. So I'm not to worried bout graphics. However, some games the graphics are so bad it effects gameplay. Also, some games rely on great graphics, I mean would anyone play Shadow of the Collosus if it looked half as good as it does. So I guess graphics are like girls, they don't have to be perfect, heck, some of the best girls have obvious flaws. But dammit girl you gotta have sumthing!!!

SoulSlayer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SoulSlayer_
Member since 2005 • 3426 Posts
For me graphics are only important in gory horror games. PS2 graphics are good enough. I just can't play a horror game with PS1 graphics.
joeadonis1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 joeadonis1
Member since 2004 • 1567 Posts

My favorite games are Disgaea and Katamari Damacy. Not what you would call groundbreaking in the graphics department, but amazing games none the less. So I guess they arent that imporant to me.

RMANPOWER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 RMANPOWER
Member since 2007 • 2734 Posts

Graphics aren't a big deal, but it helps out the game sometimes.

I just baught Final Fight: Streetwise and I thought it was a okay game. I'm a person that likes to give a game a chance, but I think I ran into a bad one the other day when I got my copy from Ebay.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I turned it on was like coo coo intro, but I started to play and it was iight at first and I stop playing it for awhile.

Take Socom on graphic terms. Not the best, choppy faces were you could see the eye balls and inside of their head. I go on for hours about the game or any socom, but it shows that graphics don't really matter cause gameplay is so fun.

hypnotoad8128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 hypnotoad8128
Member since 2007 • 474 Posts
Graphics are good, but they should NOT be the main driver of any game. But sadly the games industry is getting like the movie industry. Graphics over gameplay. Just like movies today are style over substance. A lot of movies today have rubbish scripts and they just polish a turd. A great movie starts with a great script. Hence a game should start with great gameplay, not graphics with rubbish gameplay tacked on. So yes gameplay is more important than graphics for me.
hypnotoad8128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hypnotoad8128
Member since 2007 • 474 Posts
graphics are a big factor for me, after playing so many HD games playing a SD game just seems dull, once you go hd you cant go backjoslop500
You obviously never experienced the brilliant games of the late 80's early 90's. That's when games were games. Not graphics demo's covered up as games.
everson_rm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 everson_rm
Member since 2004 • 1664 Posts

Well, it helps the game, but I really liked enduro, pacman, pitfall and others atari games! But, the ideal graphics (not ideal, but more then that I don't care, is good) is the 16 bit era (Chrono Trigger FTW)! But the graphics help with horror games!

ali_kerem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ali_kerem
Member since 2003 • 558 Posts
thanks for this question really
for me, this is the aspect that distinguishes player and ...(lets say kid)
because if you look at old times we were playing games with crappy graphics but we were having so much fun. graphics were not problem for us. we were playing those games with atari (those black boxes, not even nes) graphics for hours. there were legendary games and now they try to remake them because they were more fun than most of today's games
but look at now, when a game is released with super graphics, it becomes a hit, even its nothing but a crappy game. sorry but most of the pc gamers are like this, i have friends like this!
maybe thats the reason playstation2 is the best. even it was the least technological console ( nintendo (dreamcast vs ps, gamecube vs ps2) and xbox were better in that ) it had more games with more fun. but now with ps3 they became the most advanced console, yet they dont have incredible games.
graphics are not so important for the fun of a game. its nice to have good graphics but storyline, gameplay, musics are always far more important. i dont say lets play these new games with commodore graphics but they dont need to have incredible graphics, graphics like Final Fantasy Advent Children Movie for example.
after storyline, gameplay and music,  graphics are good too, it makes that game perfect, Metal Gear Solid : )
Jagazaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jagazaar
Member since 2007 • 1023 Posts
Unless the graphics are truly, blatantly terrible to the point of actually hurting the gameplay, I honestly don't care. If a game looks amazing, I'll say 'wow' for a bit, but the novelty soon wears off.

I'm just as happy playing games that came out in the early 90s, even though some of my friends are all "Lol, how can you play that? Play new stuff like WoW instead!"

On a side note, Gunstar Heroes is still my favourite game out of the thousands I've played. By a good deal.
webby1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#24 webby1
Member since 2004 • 4014 Posts
Good graphics helps but that alone cannot define how good the game is. The gameplay is what really counts. But theres a lot of other things too that makes a good game.
walkair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 walkair
Member since 2006 • 286 Posts
I don't find them that important but when it comes to what Nintendo did with the Wii...i mean,games are great but to play another GC with a new joystick for the next 5 years...i can't realy do that.
rohver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rohver
Member since 2005 • 11848 Posts
not me. I look at the graphics first.
Avatar image for KevComesRipping
KevComesRipping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KevComesRipping
Member since 2003 • 686 Posts
Graphics, to me, are very mildly important. Not so much for visuals but I like good looking environments in games, the only big thing as far as graphics goes, for me anyway is that I don't like stupid looking characters.  I could care less about frame-rate as long as it's not constant, but if I have to play with someone that looks like Tidus or Zidane in FF9-10 after playing games with character models as awesome as Cloud and Sephiroth FF7 and Squall in FF8 it kind of ruins the experience.  I think probably the most important thing in games after straight forward gameplay (as in, moving your character, attacking/throwing/jumping/shooting) is sound, even more so than music; sound effects, the clanging of the sword and notification when you're locked on is what ruined Zelda Twilight Princess for me, and the noise of the guy saying 'STRIKE' in Mario Baseball is currently plaguing me awful right now even though I'm loving the game.
dr_jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 dr_jashugan
Member since 2006 • 2665 Posts
The most important aspects of a game is it's story and gameplay.

A game with awesome graphics but bad story or gameplay will soon be forgotten. 8)

tidus_20023

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tidus_20023
Member since 2003 • 157 Posts

the sad truth is that we're only a small fraction of gamers, most gamers dont go to sites like this, they just go to the store and buy the best looking game.  The majority of gamers are shallow and buy the games for the flare rather than the substance and that forces developers to concentrate more on graphics than gameplay and story

2deluxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#30 2deluxe
Member since 2005 • 1881 Posts
Storyline goes last. Why? Because it's a known fact that other mediums such as books, television (if you know what to watch), and movies are better at stories. Video game stories are at the bottom of the barrell, sure you have stand outs such as MGS or Xenogears, but the vast majority are child's play. A USC student film called "Hey Tyrone!" is better than any video game story, very good short film, I highly suggest it. Graphics are important. They can be presented in many ways. Katamari for example fits perfectly with its cubist look, Okami is brought to life with stunning cell-shaded visuals, Bully's gritty 1960s look fits the theme of the game.
Santas_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Santas_Hitman
Member since 2004 • 1003 Posts
I don't believe graphics are the be all and end all, but they are important to a degree. Graphics can actually have a profound impact on the gameplay, and I think that is when its important. But when it comes to just looking pretty? No graphics aren't important. I still play my ps2 more than my 360. More games I'm interested in and find fun. Plus I'm not a huge shooter fan.
aznballer91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 aznballer91
Member since 2006 • 786 Posts
to be honest, graphics are just accessories. what makes a game great is the story, gameplay, a lil bit of the soundtrack. If the producer excels in those 3 categories, many gamers would enjoy that game. sure graphics are what future games need, but look at FF7, ITS BEEN 10 YEARS AND TO THE GRAPHICS LOOK SOO OUTDATED, but it still remains one of my fav games because the story and gameplay made me feel like i was part of the game, and the need to play more and more. this is the factor that makes classic games.

aznballer91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 aznballer91
Member since 2006 • 786 Posts
[QUOTE="2deluxe"]Storyline goes last. Why? Because it's a known fact that other mediums such as books, television (if you know what to watch), and movies are better at stories. Video game stories are at the bottom of the barrell, sure you have stand outs such as MGS or Xenogears, but the vast majority are child's play. A USC student film called "Hey Tyrone!" is better than any video game story, very good short film, I highly suggest it. Graphics are important. They can be presented in many ways. Katamari for example fits perfectly with its cubist look, Okami is brought to life with stunning cell-shaded visuals, Bully's gritty 1960s look fits the theme of the game.

its gamers like you that makes me sick. period.
2deluxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 2deluxe
Why? Because it's true? Most video game stories are no better than cartoons.
Hybridos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Hybridos
Member since 2003 • 160 Posts
In my humble opinion, graphics in this generation or in next will get to a top that will not be uppered because it will not be profitable any more.
Companies will realice that it will cost more money and work to accomplish certain level of graphics and the will remain with the same old but profitable level of graphics.
The game will take a more real and close to a way of making art aproach.
Good graphics are going to be the standard, all games will have exelent lights and textures and nonsences that make them looks amazing, but the artistic level in this game is what is going to make it stand out.
So good graphics are important but there will be few games that stands out of the bunch for been just revolutionary graphic wise and a lot that will be remembered as true masterpieces because of the revolucionary gameplay, combined with exelent music and story telling.
El_Esbirro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#36 El_Esbirro
Member since 2006 • 355 Posts

I have been playing videogames since 1982.........till this date there hasn't been any videogame console better than the NES.  The reason for this, is because during those days it was all about the FUN. Not only that, but the good games were harder to get those days (today you can go to the any corner of the street and someone will sell a burnout copy of whatever game for as low as 3 bucks), so when you got your hands on it...it really meant alot to finish the game.

Graphics do enhance the gaming experience, i mean that's the whole purpose of buying a next gen system...but the main ingridient on good games is the FUN FACTOR.  If the game is not a whole lot of fun, believe me, you will be tossing that game out the window faster than a cannoball.  So graphics are important (i would love to see Double Dragon on a next gen system), but they are not the whole picture.  The big ticket for a game to succed lies on the game engine or fun factor...

GTA San Andreas and The Warriors are fine examples nowadays, that eventhough a game is on a next gen system, graphics are not the games strong point, yet the games are extremely good and entertaining.  The best sportsgame simulator...Winning Eleven series has the best graphics and the best simulator out there...not even the Madden series can compare to what those guys are doing.  And Winning eleven got it right by focusing first on the simulator part, and then they picked up on the graphics.

So are graphics important, yes...BUT they are not the MAIN source for a games sucess.

Santas_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Santas_Hitman
Member since 2004 • 1003 Posts
[QUOTE="2deluxe"]Why? Because it's true? Most video game stories are no better than cartoons.

So thats a good reason to just say "screw it" and release games without stories? You do realize this could also be said about movies when they first came out. Its a good thing they didn't just give up, otherwise we wouldn't have some of those epic movies we have today.
raziellich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#38 raziellich
Member since 2006 • 572 Posts

Graphics are important. If you don't think so, just look at a game like Okami. Take away the cell shaded masterpiece, and all your left with is a standard action game with only the celestial brush as its saving grace. Shadow of the Colossus? Take away the powerful graphics engine and it loses all its sense of scale and wonder and becomes a boring plod through a featureless world. Take the blood and guts out of mortal kombat and you have a terrible fighter.

Point is, the good games of old were praised for thier graphics as well, or does nobody remember how psyced people were for Donkey Kong Country's graphics.

Story on the other hand, is one of the least important factors out there. (I'm generally loathe to agree with 2deluxe, but its a valid point.) For instance, Tetris. Tetris is a true classic, but there isn't a story to be found. Guitar Hero has no story, yet is still a good game. Most rpgs these days are sorry, tired ripoffs of animes, yet some of them are still great. Most action games are just rip offs of cheesey fantasy novels, but Zelda is still a classic. WWII shooters? What can they possibly tell that they haven't before, yet Medal of Honor is still fun. A great story can defineately add to a game and help it transcend above being mediocre, but its not essential. (notice how most ratings don't have a story section? Its because a good story is a bonus.

Of coures, getting back to graphics, a good game doesn't require great graphics BY TODAYS STANDARDS. It does, however, require the graphics to fit the game. An fps these days need realistic graphics. An rpg needs more fantasy-like graphics, and an action game needs good looking enemies. Just think, if while playing Metal Gear Solid, instead of evading living, breathing soldiers, you were running from a block of wood, you'd be more likely to put the controller down and play something else, no matter how good the story was.

El_Esbirro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 El_Esbirro
i agree with Santas_Hitman....probably that's why games nowdays for us oldschool gamers are so lame and boring...during the NES era, we had games like NINJA GAIDEN...with 6 bit graphics, we really had a ball watching the story unfold till the final boss battle. And they were 6bit graphics man!!
2deluxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 2deluxe
8-bit my dear, 8-bit.
El_Esbirro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 El_Esbirro

Graphics are important, BUT FUN is 2000millions times more important.  For instance, I loved Prince of Persia, but i hated the sequel..why? it's boring, its only blood because people wanted to see blood, its blurry and dark and has no sense at all..i had such a bad experience with the PoP2 that i didnt even played the third one.  All i look for in games is the FUN FACTOR!! if graphics are cool, then the merrier!! but the key is FUN.  the best MEGAMAN of all time is MEGAMAN 2! That game was FUN and had awesome Graphics back in the day!

So yes GRAPHICS ARE IMPORTANT...but FUN (for the gazillion time i have repeated this) is the MAIN key for sucess. 

raziellich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#42 raziellich
Member since 2006 • 572 Posts

Fun is an intagible. I know people who have fun playing some of the worst games on god's green earth.

(I for one thought PoP WW was a ton of fun. Oddly enough, you were saying the graphics were the problem. lol)

El_Esbirro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 El_Esbirro

Oh well...lets just put this way, Graphics enhance the Game.  Example: God of War, is exactly the same as Prince of Persia...game engine wise that is.  But the Graphics and ART behind G.o.W is by far, the most gripping feature this game has. If you take that away from G.o.W, probably we would all be saying that this game is a Prince of Persia Rip-off, BUT because of the Story behind G.o.W, and because of the different Fun puzzles to solve, there's no way you can say this is a P.o.P rip-off.

So again, Graphics and ART are important...they will make games stand apart from each other. But the game engine or fun factor  are the key element for videogame sucess.

Szalaszazka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Szalaszazka
Member since 2006 • 546 Posts
Good graphics is only good for the kids. Game must have a crushing gameplay value and big replayability. Without these things even a magnificent graphics can't give a full satisfacion cuz game is boring or simply poor :/ but I hope ever1 agree with this theory that much better is when the game has both of these :) I mean great graphics and crushing gameplay : like MGS 3 or RE 4 , DMC , GOW 1 and others.
AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AtelierFan
Member since 2006 • 1544 Posts

Fun is an intagible. I know people who have fun playing some of the worst games on god's green earth.

(I for one thought PoP WW was a ton of fun. Oddly enough, you were saying the graphics were the problem. lol)

raziellich
Fun is intangible, I agree, but so is the concept of 'good' or 'bad' game. I would even say that the concept of 'good' graphics is an opinion. I mean if you like the look of big, blocky Atari 2600 games (for example), then who am I to criticize? To illustrait my point, I like the art style of Morrowind over Oblivion, but I would say that Oblivion is definitely ahead in the technical quality department. Or another example -- a lot of people think that 2-D is inferior to 3-D just by virtue of what it is. I personally find that to be an apples/oranges sort of arguent (and for the record, I really like 2-D visuals and always will, no matter how advanced 3-D gets), and I really don't think you can compare the two.
AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts
i think they are important. imagine shadow of the collosus on a weaker system like n64. shudders. graphics along with good story and good music are all important. thats not to say graphics> gameplay though
AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

Oh well...lets just put this way, Graphics enhance the Game.  Example: God of War, is exactly the same as Prince of Persia...game engine wise that is.  But the Graphics and ART behind G.o.W is by far, the most gripping feature this game has. If you take that away from G.o.W, probably we would all be saying that this game is a Prince of Persia Rip-off, BUT because of the Story behind G.o.W, and because of the different Fun puzzles to solve, there's no way you can say this is a P.o.P rip-off.

So again, Graphics and ART are important...they will make games stand apart from each other. But the game engine or fun factor  are the key element for videogame sucess.

El_Esbirro

i dont think pop and gow have much in common, gameplay or otherwise.

Szalaszazka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Szalaszazka
Member since 2006 • 546 Posts
U see , I now what u mean. Now we have 2007 but I'm still can't say any bad word about graphics in Devil May Cry 1 even If it comes from 2001 :) Everything have own style. That's all.
llcoolray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 llcoolray
Member since 2004 • 670 Posts
I dont think that graphics are that important as loing as your've got a strong base of gameplay. Just look at the GTA Franchise, they are'nt evry big on making the characters looking OH MY GOD real, but they have the most solid gameplay overall. I'm not saying that graphics are'nt important, but as long as you've got good game play with average graphics, you'd have lot more fun playing it, and it would'nt be a waste of money.
Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
I am very concerned with graphics when it comes to sport games.  I want to see players and their surroundings be as like like as possible.  I don't need great graphics to enjoy well made games though, except for sport games.Â