Frame_Runner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Frame_Runner
Member since 2004 • 53 Posts

I'm curious as to what others have to say. I'm quite divided on this issue.

Turn-Based RPGs like Dragon Quest VII, with it's charming and lovingly animated monsters, fights do not feel like such a chore for me. However, I did not particularly enjoy FFX's fights. Fine, call me crazy.

Combat in games like Kingdom Hearts tends to be interesting for a while, but eventually becomes a button-mash fest.

I'm more inclined to say that a combination of both is the best, but at this moment in time, I'm going to side with non Turn-Based.

Severed_Hand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Severed_Hand
Member since 2007 • 3402 Posts
Nay
Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Terami
Member since 2004 • 3992 Posts
I prefer turn based RPG's (or point and clicks for the PC).  I have never really found a "button masher" that's kept my attention.  Although, I do like the action type of battles from Tales games, Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile 2, Radiata Stories, Rogue Galaxy and FF Crystal Chronicles.
strat505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 strat505
Member since 2006 • 1252 Posts

I prefer turn based RPG's (or point and clicks for the PC).  I have never really found a "button masher" that's kept my attention.  Although, I do like the action type of battles from Tales games, Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile 2, Radiata Stories, Rogue Galaxy and FF Crystal Chronicles.Terami
]]

what she said, althought i found DQ VIII's turn based system kinda boring

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#5 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts
i prefer action rpg but can play a turn based rpg
you know we really have different opinion the reason why u like Dq8 is one of the reason why i hate it
kingrich06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 110

#6 kingrich06
Member since 2006 • 5403 Posts
I prefer games like DQ8 even tho i do enjoy games like Diablo
dante_123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dante_123456
Member since 2005 • 15011 Posts
i perfer turn based RPGs. imo RPG battles are all about strategy, and alot of strategy gets taken out of it when you can attack when ever you want. i like being able to see; o.k, i should attack with character A, with character B use a healing spell on character C because he's low on health, i like having to figure out a good battle plan, and making a good strategy
alkaline_DnB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 alkaline_DnB
Member since 2006 • 1816 Posts

i grew up on the revolutionary truned-based rpgs for the snes: chrono trigger, earthbound, mario rpg, etc. also the likes of the final fantasies...basically, ALOT of the square games...and i know what you mean by being a chore. 

sometimes it sucks, but more often it kicks ass when conjuring up spells and the transition into the "battle sequence" with the kicked up "battle music". 

non-turn and turn based are both good, and since you're asking yay or nay, i'm gonna say yay...turned based is essential and i don't think it will ever die.

pog_ma_thoin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pog_ma_thoin
Member since 2006 • 808 Posts

Turn based is very good when theres hardly a load time. It gets annpying having to wait for the battle scene to load, especially when your randomly finding apponents evey 10 seconds.

I agree with you on Kingdom Hearts, but games like Fable and even Oblivion have pulled it off good non turn based gameplay. The action doesnt get boring, although i guess they are heavily focused on action.

Anyway, FFXII is awesome in that there are no load waits between battles, and there are no random encounters either. Yet its still turn based, and thats what i prefer. 

alkaline_DnB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 alkaline_DnB
Member since 2006 • 1816 Posts

i perfer turn based RPGs. imo RPG battles are all about strategy, and alot of strategy gets taken out of it when you can attack when ever you want. i like being able to see; o.k, i should attack with character A, with character B use a healing spell on character C because he's low on health, i like having to figure out a good battle plan, and making a good strategydante_123456

totally agree

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts

I'm fine either way, I liked ATB systems, FFX's full turn-based system had a lot of strategic depth, FFXII's realtime system was a nice change of pace, Kingdom Hearts was a bit button mashy, but involved more player action.

I tend to like realtime only when I don't have to watch over more than 1 character like in Diablo or Oblivions.

Czm21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Czm21x
Member since 2003 • 64 Posts

Turned based rpg's are the best. More strategy. Better plots...wait not just better. Tunred based rpg's do have plots.

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts
Yay for turn based.  There'sa room in the genre for both action rpgs and turn based, but I definately like my turn based games the best.  Looks like they're going the same way as 2D though.  I think its time is pretty much done.  It's crappy, I wish there were more of them around.  :cry:
Hakud0ushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Hakud0ushi
Member since 2005 • 7613 Posts
Yay all the way :D
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts

Yay, but it depends. some games do it well while others make it boring and too repetative. The only thing i like best about turnbased is that u get to control all the characters in battle while in non turn based  sometimes you can't switch (like in tales of the abyss) but StarOcean TToT was by far better gameplay wise than any rpgs i've played. so it's yay for turnbased but i like non turn based more.

serpentaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 serpentaurus
Member since 2007 • 294 Posts

I enjoy both systems equally. when i really want to play a game my eyes don't see a difference between Rpg, turn based or action based or even Action Adventure games, i just play. But i prefer lengthy games, that is why my firts choice tend to be turn based, but i am very open minded.  

Acid_Spitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Acid_Spitz
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Well, I used to really love turn based RPG's. Then, I discovered RPG's like Kingdom Hearts and I was really hooked. I prefer non turn based RPG's personally. They're just more fun to me.
Avatar image for michelle_moraes
michelle_moraes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#18 michelle_moraes
Member since 2005 • 4198 Posts
After playing FFXII, I'm kinda on the fence....
O_Rly_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 O_Rly_FTW
Member since 2005 • 2068 Posts
A big ****ing nay on this one. I HATE TURN BASED RPG GAMES!!!!
Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Terami

[QUOTE="Terami"]I prefer turn based RPG's (or point and clicks for the PC).  I have never really found a "button masher" that's kept my attention.  Although, I do like the action type of battles from Tales games, Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile 2, Radiata Stories, Rogue Galaxy and FF Crystal Chronicles.strat505

]]

what she said, althought i found DQ VIII's turn based system kinda boring

DQ VIII is really old school and even I have to take a break from it's grind after too much play and play something else.
oceansandearth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 oceansandearth
Member since 2006 • 246 Posts

Yay, all the way!

However, something like FF XII is always welcome, its freaking refreshing.

ali_kerem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 ali_kerem
Member since 2003 • 558 Posts

i like strategy in rpgs, so i can say yay

and if you make that turn-based fights different, like grandia 3, shadow hearts, they become so much better

aaronikiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 aaronikiss
Member since 2004 • 661 Posts
I like both.
Sargey123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Sargey123
Member since 2005 • 108 Posts

Yay.All the turn-based RPG's have great story and game-play and strategy to use,like FFX or a Disgaea,i prefer turn based,but the action RPG,not so bad,but kinda boring because u need always jump there and its boring............. :) so i pref Turn-Bases RPG

AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 AtelierFan
Member since 2006 • 1544 Posts
I like all types of RPG battle systems, so I will say yay. I've played many hours of Grandia, Dragon Quest 8 and Atelier Iris, etc., but I also like action RPG's and hybrid battle systems equally as well.
el_rika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 el_rika
Member since 2004 • 3474 Posts

FFXII's fighting system is delicious - turn based with a realtime smell to it :)

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#27 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts

Negative.  Thanx to revolutionary game developers the true path has already been revealed.  Turn based menu driven games are boring and lifeless.  Action rpg's is where its at and alot of games have proven that it can be just as in depth as he old rpg's.   Dark Cloud 2, Rogue Galaxy, KoToR, Zelda(barely counts as an rpg), Kingdom Hearts, and lots of others have proven how awesome it is to have a combat engine in an rpg where you have to actually engage your brain cells and not just set up your game to memorize your menu commands and then just mindlessly click through windows.  

Action rpg's have to be very careful though,  you cant have awesome combat and then not have any depth of customization.  Zelda is a perfct example of to little rpg.   I want to be able to see my stats and have them affect the battle.  I dont want static tiers of equipment either.  Mix an action rpg with the depth from a game like disgaia and man oh man you would have the virtual equivalent of crack.  I want to get items that let me power up my stats or my equipment. 

The only kind of tun based menu drive crap i like is in Tactical games where movement and terrain comes in to play so that I have to activate my brain and think about something besides just clicking the X button.  So rpg's need to either be tactical or action and let the old school menu driven crap die off like the ancient dinsaur it is. 

Avatar image for rockguitarist89
rockguitarist89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rockguitarist89
Member since 2007 • 90 Posts
They're both different. I like both.
Silvaryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Silvaryn
Member since 2004 • 294 Posts

Strongly Yay for turn-based here. I enjoy the deliberate pacing, and particularly the increased elements of strategy and tactical planning that usually play a much bigger part in turn-based RPGs than in action ones. SMT: Nocturne and DDS, DQ VIII, FFX, the Shadow Hearts, Suikoden, Wild Arms, and Xenosaga series... not to mention all the great tactical SRPGs like Disgaea and its ilk. All turn-based (although in varying ways) and all among my favorites.

I do play and enjoy action-RPGs as well of course, and the best of those -- Radiata Stories, Dark Cloud 2, the Tales games -- are some of my absolute favorites as well. But many real-time action RPGs also tend to wear me out eventually, even great ones like Star Ocean and Rogue Galaxy. That varies by game, but the more button-mashy they get, the less depth they seem to have to keep me interested, and the more likely I am to get a little tired of them. There's only so much of that I can enjoy at a stretch, even when it's well done. Whereas with turn-based RPGs, my biggest problem is making myself stop playing them so that I don't die of thirst, starvation, etc. in real life. :P

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 mazing87
Member since 2004 • 3881 Posts
Well we all know what I would prefer (lol).  NAY!  Some action RPGs may have a lot of button-mashing and I really don't like too much of it.  But overall, I have a lot of fun with them. 
moonatik666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 moonatik666
Nay. I don't have the patience for that. I want instant gratification, baby! 
georgepong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 georgepong
both
nywled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nywled
Member since 2005 • 359 Posts
Depends on the Game itself, there are games that are very appealing either way. :D
Abby88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 Abby88
Member since 2004 • 642 Posts
Eh, it doesn't really matter to me either way. I can thoroughly enjoy both action and turn-based systems. Actually though, my favorites are those that combine elements of both. I really like the typical Final Fantasy ATB-style. You still have the strategy of a turn-based system, it's not just mindless button mashing, but then you also have some of the excitement of an action RPG because you're forced to make decisions quickly.
Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Terami

Whereas with turn-based RPGs, my biggest problem is making myself stop playing them so that I don't die of thirst, starvation, etc. in real life. :P

Silvaryn
  LOL, I totally know what you mean!  Just a few more fights... I just need to get to destination B... I just need to level this character...
PlayedThemAll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 PlayedThemAll
Member since 2006 • 665 Posts
I hate button smashing RPGS.. hack and slash is where all the good titles are heading. IT's sad. The best, and most real RPG is a turn based game. I personaly prefer SRPGS the most.
FloydGilmour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 FloydGilmour
Member since 2007 • 35 Posts
Yay, although I love alot of non turn based games, TB games like FFVII will always be the best.
sabru8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#38 sabru8
Member since 2003 • 4144 Posts

NaySevered_Hand

agreed

PlayedThemAll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 PlayedThemAll
Member since 2006 • 665 Posts

Negative. Thanx to revolutionary game developers the true path has already been revealed. Turn based menu driven games are boring and lifeless. Action rpg's is where its at and alot of games have proven that it can be just as in depth as he old rpg's. Dark Cloud 2, Rogue Galaxy, KoToR, Zelda(barely counts as an rpg), Kingdom Hearts, and lots of others have proven how awesome it is to have a combat engine in an rpg where you have to actually engage your brain cells and not just set up your game to memorize your menu commands and then just mindlessly click through windows.

Action rpg's have to be very careful though, you cant have awesome combat and then not have any depth of customization. Zelda is a perfct example of to little rpg. I want to be able to see my stats and have them affect the battle. I dont want static tiers of equipment either. Mix an action rpg with the depth from a game like disgaia and man oh man you would have the virtual equivalent of crack. I want to get items that let me power up my stats or my equipment.

The only kind of tun based menu drive crap i like is in Tactical games where movement and terrain comes in to play so that I have to activate my brain and think about something besides just clicking the X button. So rpg's need to either be tactical or action and let the old school menu driven crap die off like the ancient dinsaur it is.

_AbBaNdOn

Yes.. lets burn the bread and butter of all the classic games ever created... it's the only way. Not. 

Silvaryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Silvaryn
LOL, I totally know what you mean!  Just a few more fights... I just need to get to destination B... I just need to level this character... Terami

...and then the next thing you know, it's getting light outside, due to this huge ball of fire coming up on the horizon. The "Sun", I think they call it. I hate it when that happens!

I do love RPGs of all kinds, and a Yay for turn-based doesn't necessarily mean a Nay for any other style, I must say. I suppose it's a plus for action-RPGs in a way, that some of them do wear me out after a while... at least I tend to limit my playing time of them more sensibly than I do with turn-based ones.

GazzaB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#41 GazzaB
Member since 2004 • 27139 Posts
YaY times a million! Although FFXII's battle system was very refreshing!
Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Terami
[QUOTE="Terami"] LOL, I totally know what you mean!  Just a few more fights... I just need to get to destination B... I just need to level this character... Silvaryn

...and then the next thing you know, it's getting light outside, due to this huge ball of fire coming up on the horizon. The "Sun", I think they call it. I hate it when that happens!

I do love RPGs of all kinds, and a Yay for turn-based doesn't necessarily mean a Nay for any other style, I must say. I suppose it's a plus for action-RPGs in a way, that some of them do wear me out after a while... at least I tend to limit my playing time of them more sensibly than I do with turn-based ones.

Ah yes, the sun... I fear it too!  I am nocturnal you see...  Anyways... LOL

I am in the same boat as you.  I do like the odd action RPG but I also lose interest or get tired of them after a while.  It's the reason I'm not that far in Rogue Galaxy and find myself playing my turned based games.  The Tales games however, while being actiony(that's my word, no touchie!), I have managed to play them just as long as a turned based game. 

I love sinking my teeth into the turned based games, not just for the battle strategies but also the sheer depth in developing my characters and what not.  It's one of the reasons I enjoy Disgaea, or FF Tactics type of games so much.  Story is nice but for some reason I get a lot of enjoyment from watching my characters grow.

ErrorOfRuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ErrorOfRuto
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts

I prefer rpg battle systems that heavily emphasize strategy, so turn based systems definitely get a "yay" from me. Rpgs with turn based battles like FF Tactics, Chrono Cross, Disgaea, and FFX hold my attention much longer than rpgs with action battles because they keep my brain constantly working instead of just keeping my thumbs moving.

Most rpgs that I have played which try to mix action gameplay with classic rpg strategy end up failing at both. The strategy elements are usually overshadowed by the action, and apart from the boss fights the action is usually too dull and shallow to be fun on its own. I gave up on Rogue Galaxy several times, not because it was too difficult, but because by about halfway through the game the combat had become so excruciatingly boring and repetitive that it felt like a chore to continue playing.

On the other hand, action games which incorporate some rpg elements (like the inventory and stat based upgrading systems in RE4) tend to be some of the best in the action genre, but that's for another topic.

I thought one exception to the usual shortcomings of action rpgs was KH: Chain of Memories for the GBA. It managed to combine the dodge and strike style of a 2d fighting game, the strategy of a card game, and lots of the familiar skills and summons into a fast paced battle system that sent your brain bouncing all over the place. The boss fights felt about as stressful as juggling knives while riding a unicycle down a mountain, but it worked well because both the strategy and action components were equally balanced and necessary.

On a final note, is the ATB system of games like FFVII considered turn based? Although it is totally menu driven everything happens in real time and actions aren't taken in turns; the same goes for FFXII. I'm not really sure, but either way I like their battle systems a lot too.

Silvaryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Silvaryn

Argh, you both mentioned FF Tactics here back to back.:P  I regularly kick myself for not having been aware of it and gotten it early on, before it got so insanely rare. I didn't have an original PlayStation, and really only got into SRPGs on the PS2 starting with Disgaea. I'm very much like you both here, in terms of what I like to really delve into with these games. I strongly suspect I would still find FFT to be one of my favorite games, and am sometimes tempted to even spring for the ridiculous prices it brings new now.

It's interesting that we've each stumbled a bit with Rogue Galaxy! I'm a long-time fan of Level 5, and RG is a wonderful little game, I admire a lot about it. But at times I've just had an unusually hard time plowing through it. Kind of relieved to hear I'm not the only one. I actually had trouble sticking with Star Ocean 3 also, despite realizing that it too is a terrific game. And yet, there's something about both Tales of Legendia and Tales of the Abyss (Hmm... "actiony"... indeed!) that avoided the problem for me. Same with Radiata Stories too, I didn't have a problem with it at all really.

On a final note, is the ATB system of games like FFVII considered turn based? Although it is totally menu driven everything happens in real time and actions aren't taken in turns; the same goes for FFXII. I'm not really sure, but either way I like their battle systems a lot too. ErrorOfRuto

That's a good question, there are a few games that manage to defy easy categorization for me here. I guess I'd call those mostly real-time, but they're really a hybrid. For some odd reason I've had a hard time getting into FFXII so far, but it seems like it can be tailored and tweaked to be quite different depending on how you prefer to play. For me, even Grandia III is a sort of in-between style. I'm not sure sometimes what to call its innovative hybrid combat system, but I love it.

Kyuso84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Kyuso84
Member since 2006 • 47 Posts

Turned based rpg's are the best. More strategy. Better plots...wait not just better. Tunred based rpg's do have plots.

Czm21x

Agree here, but it all depends on the game for my sake. Some games are ok without Turned based system. 

vicsrealms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 vicsrealms
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts
I prefer the turn based over the action style.  I also don't mind the SRPG's like Shining Force.  Unfortunately, Sega hasn't made a really good Shining Force since number 2. 
jrnhanie0310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jrnhanie0310
Member since 2006 • 15177 Posts
i say yay
Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Terami

Argh, you both mentioned FF Tactics here back to back.:P  I regularly kick myself for not having been aware of it and gotten it early on, before it got so insanely rare. I didn't have an original PlayStation, and really only got into SRPGs on the PS2 starting with Disgaea. I'm very much like you both here, in terms of what I like to really delve into with these games. I strongly suspect I would still find FFT to be one of my favorite games, and am sometimes tempted to even spring for the ridiculous prices it brings new now.

It's interesting that we've each stumbled a bit with Rogue Galaxy! I'm a long-time fan of Level 5, and RG is a wonderful little game, I admire a lot about it. But at times I've just had an unusually hard time plowing through it. Kind of relieved to hear I'm not the only one. I actually had trouble sticking with Star Ocean 3 also, despite realizing that it too is a terrific game. And yet, there's something about both Tales of Legendia and Tales of the Abyss (Hmm... "actiony"... indeed!) that avoided the problem for me. Same with Radiata Stories too, I didn't have a problem with it at all really.Silvaryn

Well, I for one, feel that FF Tactics is one of the few titles that really stand the test of time for the PSone.  Maybe it has to do with the genre it's in and the rarity of games that genre, I don't know.  I do know that many, like me have spent countless hours and late nights addictively enjoying Tactics.  I find it odd that it's so rare and high priced as they still have copies of the game and other FF titles at my local EB selling between $14.99 and $39.99(Canadian).  Keep your eyes peeled and definitely pick it up if you ever come across it, you'll be glad you did.  From the minute you start the game, you just know you're in for something special.

And yes, Radiata Stories... From what I've tried of it, feels like I will not have any issues with it's "actiony" game play.  I own the game, but I have so many games to play, this is one I just haven't gotten around to playing yet.  As a matter of fact, aside from maybe picking up one or two more titles, I'm taking advantage of this year to enjoy all my unplayed games.  And this is in thanks to the "next gen's" lack of anything RPG/Strategy.  If you're into these games, now's the best time to be a PS2 owner imo.  So many to choose from... 

Aztlan_920228

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Aztlan_920228
Member since 2005 • 345 Posts

Both can be good but i prefer action based like the Tales games

Uma-Chan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50 Uma-Chan
Member since 2005 • 14901 Posts
Yay, and only when a turn-based RPG can actually make me want to keep playing so I can continue with the story..but if it's one of those crappy ass bargin bin games, then it's a huge NAY.