TallicaFan2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 TallicaFan2005
Member since 2005 • 4126 Posts

My PS2 blew up the day I rented Final Fantasy XII back in December (during winter break..I was so excited to finally get to play it, and well I didn't get to play it).

So my dad got me a PS2 for my 20th birthday today. I had a bad feeling he'd get the slim, but didn't say anything, and yeah he got me the slim PS2. I remember hearing something like they have bad DVD drives or something and have trouble reading certain games.

Is that true? Is it still true on the newer models?

The serial starts PK6....

Thanks. I'm totally buying Final Fantasy XII tomorrow!!! For now I'm going to get reunited with FF X! yey! 

3DayFinisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 3DayFinisher
Member since 2007 • 40501 Posts
i dont think so, the one you have should be fine, in fact, the fat PS2s seem to have problems playing some of the newer games
rronqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 rronqe
Member since 2007 • 207 Posts

I got my Ps2 slim since 2 years. And i havent got any problems since I bought it!!!!!!!!!:D

portej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 portej
Member since 2004 • 645 Posts

On a long enough time frame, all PS2s (both the conventional and slim version) will experience operational failure after extended periods of use. I took care of my PS2 (SCPH-30000) religiously, but after 6 years it does not read games anymore.

From what I hear, the longevity and reliability of the slim PS2 is supposedly better than it's predecessor. Just take care of it, and hope for the best... it should last you long enough for the PS3 to go down in price and than you can pick up one of those ;)

ryan_returns29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#5 ryan_returns29
Member since 2006 • 3191 Posts

I have owned both the fat and slim PS2 but own a slim at the moment and from experience I can say that the fat model is a little bit better. The slim may be smaller, but yeah, it does overheat sometimes in a few games (causing them to freeze) and some games don't run on the slim model at all. If you were to buy a second hand fat PS2 I wouldn't because if it's quite old the lens wear and you will have reading issues and have to get it replaced.

Even though the slim is a bit worse I would still go with it over the fat model.

TallicaFan2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 TallicaFan2005
Member since 2005 • 4126 Posts
Sweet...The slim can still play PSone games, and read PSone memory cards, right?
ModeLkiT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ModeLkiT
Member since 2006 • 41 Posts

yeah, i got a lot of problems in my ps2 slim version. it gives my cd's some circular scratches, and because of that scratches, my ps2 games won't work anymore. T_T

btw, how much wortha brand new ps2 nowadays? 

staindcoldlp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 staindcoldlp
Member since 2004 • 15121 Posts
I've had mine for over two and a half years and have had no problems at all. It plays my PSone games and reads the memory cards just fine. As a DVD player, I've also had no problems with it.
13and0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#9 13and0
Member since 2007 • 375 Posts
I've had mine for well over a year and it only gives me trouble with games that are too scratched to play and the internal clock still freezes.
Pumster76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Pumster76
Member since 2003 • 227 Posts
You should have been excited - The PSTwo is a much more solid console than the original PS2 model. I haven't experienced any problems. A friend of mine has one, as well, and she doesn't take care of it at all. (There have been occasions where it's still running with a shirt on top of it.) Nevertheless, it runs just as nicely as mine. I highly recommend the PSTwo - There was nothing to be afraid of.
Trogeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#11 Trogeton
Member since 2005 • 2776 Posts
I dont own slim one but alot of my friends do, and they say that if you could choose between the bulky and slim, go with the bulky, because it has the built in fan and it always lasts longer, and some of them complained at after they used it for a while the lid would give them problems closing,... and them remaking the ps2 was a mistake, and the only good thing that came out of it was that it didnt take up as much space, and it has the internet connection built in.. but other than that the bulky one is recommended
Arekya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Arekya
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
After my mother had a butchered divorce, I had to leave my PS2 bulky and most my games in Utah. I literally just got Okami, new from wal-mart last night, and my PS2 Slim back in around Februrary or March. When I tried to play Okami, it worked for a bit over an hour and a half, then froze, it also freezes whenever my BF tried to play some of his games. It overheats and it freezes often, I am right now, crying from frustration from wanting to play Okami T_T Is it too late to try and return this god awful hellspawn for a pleasantly plump yet cooler older model?
blifury-nfsU2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blifury-nfsU2
Member since 2006 • 56 Posts
idk where u heard that but that's not true i've had mine for like 2 and half years and nothing ever went wrong with it and if it over heats beacuae it's laying downin the carpet i sugget u get a stand for it then u should be just about fine
Arekya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Arekya
Mine was on a table, on it's side (even w/o a stand) and overheats anyway within an hour) and will freeze I am not the only one with these problems.
meowww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 meowww
Member since 2003 • 453 Posts

the fat have some problems

keep on yours

Arekya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Arekya

the fat have some problems

keep on yours

meowww

Meowww, at least they don't overheat and freeze nearly as easy, and are a lot hardier.

GoldenSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GoldenSurfer
Member since 2003 • 790 Posts

yeah, i got a lot of problems in my ps2 slim version. it gives my cd's some circular scratches, and because of that scratches, my ps2 games won't work anymore. T_T

ModeLkiT

I believe about 129.99 new. http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=020245

Sprigain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 Sprigain
Member since 2006 • 3575 Posts
it should be okay
lowryderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lowryderman
Member since 2006 • 323 Posts

I have never hade any problems with my ps2.

Arekya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Arekya
[QUOTE="ModeLkiT"]

GoldenSurfer

I believe about 129.99 new. http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=020245

For a thick or slim though?
okamiskool74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 okamiskool74
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
AS far as i know, there arent any problems with reading disks, but if you fast forward for too long it wont read the game/dvd.
uchiha22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 uchiha22
I've had my fat ps2 since ps2 first came out which is about 6 years and never really had any problems with it.
SuperSix6075

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 SuperSix6075
Member since 2006 • 271 Posts
only ever had problems 2 and a half years after i bought the original ps2 the slim one b4 i got ps3 and a actaul blu-ray player had over 300+ hours of dvds played tons of gaming hours ... slim one is the best out there
willxcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24 willxcool
Member since 2006 • 2038 Posts
DUDE how can a ps2 blow up, do you mean a big KABOOM! or just a word of saying a small bzzz then it did not work, man stage things happen thank God it did not happen to me well good luck in playing ffXII is a good one