rant about Ratchet and Clank popularity

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShadowCR21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 ShadowCR21
Member since 2008 • 117 Posts

Why is Ratchet and Clank not that popular? Seriously. I'm a huge Ratchet and Clank fan, and i'm disappointed with the fact that there aren't as many of those as there are fans of other game series. The first one on PS2 is the only one that obtained a fair amount of copies (2.5 million according to Wikipedia). Is it just that there are a lot of GTA/Gran Turismo/Jak/Halo nerds (no offense) that think those games make Ratchet and Clank look bad?

It pisses me off. I'm sure there are people who may not like the Ratchet and Clank games, and I respect that, but I think i'm losing respect for people who praise those series like fanboys and THEN bash Ratchet and Clank. But honestly, that's what I think: that people putting hate on Ratchet and Clank are just Halo/GTA/Jak fanatics or what not. Just like how Spax3 claims people putting hate on Sonic Heroes seem to be Sonic Adventure fanatics. Especially people who love the Jak series but hate Ratchet and Clank. It's just not right...why, Up Your Arsenal is my favorite 3D platformer exclusive to PS2 (except MAYBE Klonoa 2, if that even counts), and people should look at the high amounts of ratings these games are getting. If you're just not interested in the series, fine, I don't care, just as long as you respect how I fell.

I could understand if it's the fact that there aren't too many games in the series, but why is Ratchet and Clank not as high-selling as it should be? Discuss.

spanky333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#2 spanky333
Member since 2004 • 885 Posts

I have no idea. I thought R&C was a hugely successful series. Isn't R&C one of the flagship releases for PS3?

Anyhow, I will make up an answer since I have no idea.

In my fantasy land, R&C are living in the shadow of Jak and Daxter because it is essentially the same type of game, and Jak for some reason was adopted as the "Mario" of PS2. I agree with you that R&C is a lot more fun, more bang for the buck, but politics is politics. Jak just gets more face time as a mascot.

I think all that is changing though, R&C have been touring all the shows and expositions around the world as the new faces of PS3, so no fear, they aren't going anywhere.

RealDuffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 RealDuffi
Member since 2007 • 156 Posts

I don't get the point here. The main hype about the PS3 was the new Ratchet And Clank for gods sake. If you're so annoyed by fanboys you should just ignore them.

ShadowCR21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 ShadowCR21
Member since 2008 • 117 Posts

I'm not saying Ratchet and Clank is or ever was unsuccessful, i'm just saying that there aren't as many people who are into Ratchet and Clank as one would expect there to be imo.

Well, the first Jak game came in 2001, before Ratchet and Clank 1 so I can understand that. But Insomniac has been a very successful company known for other stuff such as their Spyro games. I'm thinking, how can people love Jak but not like Ratchet and Clank? That's my main gripe here.

haterex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 haterex
Member since 2004 • 2410 Posts

I'm thinking, how can people love Jak but not like Ratchet and Clank? That's my main gripe here. ShadowCR21

I love both series...and I am also a big Sly Cooper fan...That's why I paided the full amount for Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters(but I hope they fix the camera problems that they had in the psp version) to port it over to the ps2 version...

Judza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Judza
Member since 2004 • 4637 Posts

We're out there, but it's just another game in our collections.

I do believe it to be worthy of all praise bestowed upon it, and does not deserve the criticism from as you say "fanboys". However, I don't let it get me upset, since the series is going fine, and hypocritical opinions like "I love Jak & Daxter, but hat R&C" don't faze me.

Don't let it get to you. They're popular.

OtakuRay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 OtakuRay
Member since 2007 • 658 Posts
I like R&C but not that much