tracphone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 tracphone
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Hey everyone. I own a PS2 and bought so many games for it. I am also going to get a PS3 once price goes down but I heard that the compatibility list of the PS3 isn't exactly perfect. The price for a new PS2 has dropped here to $129.99. I'm thinking that instead of risking some of my games being incompatible with the PS3, to just get another PS2 for backup, in case my current one blows up down the road. What do you think?
ali_kerem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 ali_kerem
Member since 2003 • 558 Posts

just check your games in the sony's website

if all of your games are compatible, you wont need another ps2

Peabody99224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 Peabody99224
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts
Ah, compatability issues don't you love 'em?
bemr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 bemr
Member since 2007 • 78 Posts
or you could stick with your current ps2 b/c if it does die (hopefully not in the near future) the prices will have probably also gone down.
buff2007bills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 buff2007bills
Member since 2007 • 39 Posts
good point, prices on PS2 should continue to fall...I read somewhere that as long as the PS3 version is US made (not to be sold in Japan) it can play PS2 games...I don't have the link though, sorry:(
mohmaaytah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 mohmaaytah
Member since 2003 • 2397 Posts

good point, prices on PS2 should continue to fall...I read somewhere that as long as the PS3 version is US made (not to be sold in Japan) it can play PS2 games...I don't have the link though, sorry:(buff2007bills

Not for long, thats what the stock clearance is for. They want to put the new PS3 without the PS2 guts and have it emulated instead.

tracphone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 tracphone
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Good points everyone. Thanks for the input. I did go to Sony's website and checked compatibility on most of my games. From what I saw, very few have problems i.e. titles hanging etc., which I don't know if that's reason enough. Nevertheless, it will take a few more years until the PS3 becomes mainstream. Plus with the ridiculous low prices for the ps2, picking one more up for backup isn't alll that bad. By the way, is there any difference between the black and the silver ps2, hardware or software-wise?
mohmaaytah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 mohmaaytah
Member since 2003 • 2397 Posts
None at all.
ringbling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ringbling
Member since 2004 • 969 Posts
Buying two PS2s would be a stupid idea, if you're not getting a PS3, then get another PS2 if your current one develops problems. Since you have a working console, just start saving for a PS3, don't trade the PS2 in for it cause you'll only get like 30 bucks. If you're in the US anyway, the emulation has no problems, even still - outside of the US the emulation has like one or two glitches on 4 or5 games, so the people that try to say it's not that good have no idea what they're talking about, they're just trying to create their own buzz that they don't deserve.
alanchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 alanchan
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Iwould play PS2 games on PS2 unless the game graphics benefits a lot from PS3 upscaling & smoothing.

Why stress the laser of a $500/$600 hardware when it works on a $100 hardware.

This way the PS3 will not break because I play too much PS2 games on it.