Your thoughts on Battlefield 3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheDude184

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 TheDude184
Member since 2011 • 107 Posts

I just started the game and I feel somewhat disappointed. Maybe because it's different from the older battlefield games. I really hate the quick time events, I don't understand how they keep making their way into games. The checkpoint system is rather annoying, I hate when I follow my squad for 5 minutes and get shot so now I have to follow them again from the start. I found the whole game to be very similar to call of duty which is not a good thing.

LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#2 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

It was my first and last battlefield game. The checkpoints annoyed me like you mention, the fighter section was badly thought out (missiles were useless) and there seemed to be some sneaky respawning in some levels.

But eventually it was the way the game broke the immersion that made me quit. In the hotel it doesn't matter if you break the neck of the guy on the walkway or shoot him in the back of the head - you're spotted no matter what. Attempting to be stealthy made no difference to the way it played out.

I can see why people like it, but it wasn't to my taste.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
BF3 is a multiplayer game, people who buy it expecting a halfway decent singleplayer game didn't really do any research on it.
spittis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 spittis
Member since 2005 • 1875 Posts

I just started the game and I feel somewhat disappointed. Maybe because it's different from the older battlefield games. I really hate the quick time events, I don't understand how they keep making their way into games. The checkpoint system is rather annoying, I hate when I follow my squad for 5 minutes and get shot so now I have to follow them again from the start. I found the whole game to be very similar to call of duty which is not a good thing.

TheDude184
I bought BF3 when it launched but I haven't touched the single player component. Multiplayer is where it's at.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#5 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
The single player is a waste of time. Its far too much like COD and frankly I'm just sick of the macho, 'lets throw in as many swear words as possible' attitude. Its a bore. And if you think the quick time events are bad, wait till you get to the end. The finale is one of the dumbest, most pathetic climaxes to a game I've seen in a while.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#6 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

BF3 is a multiplayer game, people who buy it expecting a halfway decent singleplayer game didn't really do any research on it.ferret-gamer
Rubbish. BF3 is an expensive game and comes as a package. There are plenty of games that can complete that package by having 2 or 3 excellent slices, instead of one very good one. If you're paying $80 (au) you're entitled to judge the entire deal and the SP and broken co-op don't stand up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]BF3 is a multiplayer game, people who buy it expecting a halfway decent singleplayer game didn't really do any research on it.biggest_loser

Rubbish. BF3 is an expensive game and comes as a package. There are plenty of games that can complete that package by having 2 or 3 excellent slices, instead of one very good one. If you're paying $80 (au) you're entitled to judge the entire deal and the SP and broken co-op don't stand up.

You misinterpreted my post. As a package it is a great multiplayer game and a terrible singleplayer game. Anyone who has done any sort of research on the game would know this and not buy the game for its singleplayer. I never said it shouldn't be judged for both.

Also, if you want to complain about judging a package by a single piece, you might want to check the opening post, where he was judging the game solely off its single player section.

sloakz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 sloakz
Member since 2007 • 379 Posts

Its a good multiplayer game, Death from every angle!

arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

It was my first and last battlefield game. The checkpoints annoyed me like you mention, the fighter section was badly thought out (missiles were useless) and there seemed to be some sneaky respawning in some levels.

But eventually it was the way the game broke the immersion that made me quit. In the hotel it doesn't matter if you break the neck of the guy on the walkway or shoot him in the back of the head - you're spotted no matter what. Attempting to be stealthy made no difference to the way it played out.

I can see why people like it, but it wasn't to my taste.

LordRork

So... You got a Battlefield game for the campaign?

TheDude184

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#10 TheDude184
Member since 2011 • 107 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]BF3 is a multiplayer game, people who buy it expecting a halfway decent singleplayer game didn't really do any research on it.ferret-gamer

You misinterpreted my post. As a package it is a great multiplayer game and a terrible singleplayer game. Anyone who has done any sort of research on the game would know this and not buy the game for its singleplayer. I never said it shouldn't be judged for both.

Also, if you want to complain about judging a package by a single piece, you might want to check the opening post, where he was judging the game solely off its single player section.

The thing is I played all previous BF games and their SP were a total blast. So I don't believe that somehow this game should get a free pass to have a terrible SP, they managed to make single player mode great in the older games, they could have done so in BF3, but they are just being lazy.
yemen_headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 yemen_headshot
Member since 2010 • 514 Posts
I played BF3 for more than 80 hours and never tried the SP Campaign and i don't think anyone bought it for the SP or that will be like buying DS2 for the MP !
spittis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 spittis
Member since 2005 • 1875 Posts
The thing is I played all previous BF games and their SP were a total blast. So I don't believe that somehow this game should get a free pass to have a terrible SP, they managed to make single player mode great in the older games, they could have done so in BF3, but they are just being lazy.TheDude184
What? The previous BF games did not have a campaign... it was just playing against bots.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"] Rubbish. BF3 is an expensive game and comes as a package. There are plenty of games that can complete that package by having 2 or 3 excellent slices, instead of one very good one. If you're paying $80 (au) you're entitled to judge the entire deal and the SP and broken co-op don't stand up.

TheDude184

The thing is I played all previous BF games and their SP were a total blast. So I don't believe that somehow this game should get a free pass to have a terrible SP, they managed to make single player mode great in the older games, they could have done so in BF3, but they are just being lazy.

What is with people in this thread not reading my post? Where did i say it should get a free pass or not have the single player be judged?

Also, not all of the previous BF games even had a single player, they just had multiplayer maps with bots.

Nohtnym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nohtnym
Member since 2010 • 1552 Posts

Multiplayer is great. I cant go back to BF2 anymore, maybe if I want to play specific map which bf3 doesnt have. Since bf2 has alot better maps than bf3.

What bf3 does better than bf2 multiplayer wise. No random annoying spray pattern, better hit detection, and destruction (gives hiding points and you can maneuver better, not always the same path which is usually blocked by lmg or sniper).

Edit: Battlefield 2 has one of the worst hit detection in any shooter. Rivals Counter-Strike Source when it was under 2 years old. BFBC2 hit detections was bad too. Thank god DICE got it right this time (still some problems with it).

shyco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shyco
Member since 2006 • 613 Posts

at a certain point the SP crashes, and continues to do so. Therefore I dont play it anymore... But then I didnt come expecting it to be anything above average.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
Who the hell bought it for the SP? I have it on both PC and PS3 and I haven't touched the SP once.
LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#17 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

So... You got a Battlefield game for the campaign?

arto1223

I started with the campaign to get used to the game. I was dying too often in the single player campaign to make playing it at all worth it. I found the whole thing pretty uninspiring.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Good game with many flaws, mainly the piece of sh!t Battlelog and the hit detection/response time.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#19 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
superb mp game with flaws
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
I have so many problems and dislikes with this game I just don't even. They're aiming for a new playerbase that's all I have to say...
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Its the first BF game that had a SP campaign (BC spinoff none withstanding), and it sucks. But then it is the fewest I know that bought BF3 for the campaign.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
BF3 is a crap game. I'm sorry you didn't do more reseach before buying it but there's literally thousands and thousands of posts and people warning others not to buy that broken buggy game. Hell, just look at my recent reviews, I gave it the lowest score of any game next to DNF and warned others DO NOT BUY IT! I have a bad ass system and it looks so awesome on my triple monitor setup, I want to play it. It's just SUCH A terrible game. I cannot even bother reinstalling it.
demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts
The game is broken in many ways, but its still fun. I wish they would balance the game out well. Usas, m320, m26, etc. Tons of guns have been overpowered in many situtations...I also wish there were a "Halo" spawn point setup where you can't spawn if somebody is under fire. Sometimes you watch a squad member and see he's clear, then spawn and die because somebody was following him or some such thing! Fun...but broken.