Your frame rate tolerance... (for those who don't have an 8800GTX).

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Igtstylez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 Igtstylez
Member since 2005 • 236 Posts
20+
cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts

[QUOTE="JN_Fenrir"]You guys are all wrong. The maximum number of frames per second you can "see" has absolutely nothing to do with what your brain can interpret. Your eyes and your brain can interpret far more information than any computer. Your perceived FPS is limited to the refresh rate (and NOT the response time) of your monitor, period. If your display is capped at 60Hz -- which isn't uncommon for LCD monitors -- you are only seeing 60FPS, even if your graphics card is pumping out 100+ frames per second. Know what the visual difference is between 60FPS and 100FPS on a 60Hz display? Tearing. That's right, visual artifacts created by discrepancies in the rate of communication between the graphics card and the monitor. Bottom line: your brain is amazing. 8)GANGSTA287

If you're not BSing that, it's the smartist thing i've heard today...

I think hes right, at least about the tearing.

They used to think a while back that the most a Person could differenciate between was around 25, but they eventually figured out that was wrong. Apparently after 25, you can no longer see individual frames, but seem them all sort of molded toghether. Nobody knows the true max though, they aer still arguing about it.

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts
[QUOTE="dbowman"]

I really can't understand people who demand frame-rates of 60+

varpad

Yeah...I mean the human eye can't see the difference between like 40 and 60 fps...

Oh there's a significant difference...lemme tell ya. If you're playing a first person shooter online, then you must have an FPS at least 60 if you want to do remotely good against the big dogs. Call of Duty 2 on 30 FPS won't get you anywhere unless you're playing with sucky players.

But I got a new computer, so that isn't a problem for me anymore. Radeon x1950 Pro baby 8)

ArcticSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 ArcticSnake
Member since 2003 • 942 Posts

I don't think you can honestly just generalize a genre with a tolerance.

For example, if you look at a slow FPS like Operation flashpoint, there is no need to go over 30 FPS. There isn't anything intense and what have you. Then you look at a game like F.E.A.R or HL2 and sure its nice to have 60+ in them for all the intense moments that require those frames. However, you also have games like Quake 3. Vets of that game very well know that it is most important that you run over 120+ or else every trick of the trade is nearly impossible.

So what I'm trying to say is that it really depends on the individual game then the genre.

Erlkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Erlkoenig
Member since 2006 • 715 Posts

You guys are all wrong. The maximum number of frames per second you can "see" has absolutely nothing to do with what your brain can interpret. Your eyes and your brain can interpret far more information than any computer. Your perceived FPS is limited to the refresh rate (and NOT the response time) of your monitor, period. If your display is capped at 60Hz -- which isn't uncommon for LCD monitors -- you are only seeing 60FPS, even if your graphics card is pumping out 100+ frames per second. Know what the visual difference is between 60FPS and 100FPS on a 60Hz display? Tearing. That's right, visual artifacts created by discrepancies in the rate of communication between the graphics card and the monitor. Bottom line: your brain is amazing. 8)JN_Fenrir

I was talking about the principle here. Your input is useful, but out of place. Just because the FPS is restricted by the refresh rate doesn't mean there isn't a limit to what your eyes/brains can perceive. How far more is it supposed to be? 500FPS? 10000FPS? Unlimited?

TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts

I like all my games 50 FPS+

icefox47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 icefox47
Member since 2004 • 199 Posts

[QUOTE="JN_Fenrir"]You guys are all wrong. The maximum number of frames per second you can "see" has absolutely nothing to do with what your brain can interpret. Your eyes and your brain can interpret far more information than any computer. Your perceived FPS is limited to the refresh rate (and NOT the response time) of your monitor, period. If your display is capped at 60Hz -- which isn't uncommon for LCD monitors -- you are only seeing 60FPS, even if your graphics card is pumping out 100+ frames per second. Know what the visual difference is between 60FPS and 100FPS on a 60Hz display? Tearing. That's right, visual artifacts created by discrepancies in the rate of communication between the graphics card and the monitor. Bottom line: your brain is amazing. 8)GANGSTA287

If you're not BSing that, it's the smartist thing i've heard today...

He's not BSing it.

muscleserge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58 muscleserge
Member since 2005 • 3307 Posts
For shooters rare drops to 30 but not lower, and an average of 45 is fine for me, as for anything else 30fps is fine for me
dunamistheou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 dunamistheou
Member since 2005 • 4744 Posts
I have a 8800gtx, but usually 60-70fps or more is fine to me. Below 60, I need some motion blur. :P
holdenmcclure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 holdenmcclure
Member since 2005 • 184 Posts
60 Frames required. I can tell the difference between 60 and 80 frames, but all I need is 20. For all you skeptics, the human eye can see up to 120fps. Non-disputable, you just have to be trained in order to tell the difference.
doomsdaydave11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#61 doomsdaydave11
Member since 2006 • 1159 Posts

I'm extremely happy with 35 FPS. I will not tolerate any less, but don't really care if it's more.

I also perfer truly high resolutions over heavy anti-aliasing. Even if I can easily max out a game, I will keep the anti-aliasing low, because I hate the blur.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
I can tolerate a constant 30 FPS for most games(which I sadly can't get even on MINIMUM settings nowadays). Anything lower starts to get a bit choppy. The exception would be fast-paced games like Unreal Tournament and Battlefield 2 while flying jets, where at least 60 FPS is a MUST. I'd be willing to lower graphic detail to get the necessary FPS, but with this old hunk of junk, minimum settings on 640x480 still yields crappy framerates on BF2 and Oblivion. (Come on, July 22...I want that Q6600 price drop badly so I can upgrade and put an end to crappy PC game performance!)
kakarotxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 kakarotxiv
Member since 2003 • 3243 Posts

RTS - 20fps

FPS - 35fps

OTHER - 40fps

MrNib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#64 MrNib
Member since 2004 • 1731 Posts

games like oblivion i can tolerate 15 fps, 30 or higher i would cream my pants

games like cs i dont like it to go below my refreshrate(75hz)

games like bf2 i can handle 50 dipping down to 20s in high action scenes

free games usually are ugly and i can run them at ubove 300 fps so yea

oh and racing games i can play happily at 25-30 fps aslong as it looks good

JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts

[QUOTE="JN_Fenrir"]You guys are all wrong. The maximum number of frames per second you can "see" has absolutely nothing to do with what your brain can interpret. Your eyes and your brain can interpret far more information than any computer. Your perceived FPS is limited to the refresh rate (and NOT the response time) of your monitor, period. If your display is capped at 60Hz -- which isn't uncommon for LCD monitors -- you are only seeing 60FPS, even if your graphics card is pumping out 100+ frames per second. Know what the visual difference is between 60FPS and 100FPS on a 60Hz display? Tearing. That's right, visual artifacts created by discrepancies in the rate of communication between the graphics card and the monitor. Bottom line: your brain is amazing. 8)Erlkoenig

I was talking about the principle here. Your input is useful, but out of place. Just because the FPS is restricted by the refresh rate doesn't mean there isn't a limit to what your eyes/brains can perceive. How far more is it supposed to be? 500FPS? 10000FPS? Unlimited?

I honestly have no idea. The answer to that lies somewhere in a degree in psychology, lol.
skullman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 skullman1
Member since 2005 • 3384 Posts

Oh, and another question... Is it more important for you to have higher frame rates or cooler visual effects?varpad

BOTH :lol:

I want to get as many FPS as I can because I like to have something to fall back on incase I hit lag or some other random occurance, it also shows the capabilities of my rig for playing future games....If I start hitting like 20 fps on newer games that tells me I need to start tweaking the clocks or I may need to get ready to upgrade a component or two.I prefer getting40+ fps with everything maxed because it sets my mind at ease knowing I don't need to upgrade anything to get the best possible quality (performance and visual) out of the game.No, the human mind cant really notice a difference after a certain point but who cares, it makes some of us (or maybe just me) feel better :).

mrxdemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#67 mrxdemix
Member since 2004 • 1427 Posts
I require high FPS. It just sucks when the game doesn't run smooth. I quit C&C3 and 2142 soon after buying them because of their system requirements.
indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts
I'm okay with 30 FPS min :) Can't play below 30 .lol.
dbowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#69 dbowman
Member since 2005 • 6836 Posts

Isn't TV only like 30 FPS? People do not NEED 60 fps..MTBare

This guys is so right.

When you watch TV you don't think "WOW there is so much slow-down in this TV show" or "OMG Lag!"

ChrisJ2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 ChrisJ2004
Member since 2003 • 2818 Posts
[QUOTE="dbowman"]

varpad

Yeah...I mean the human eye can't see the difference between like 40 and 60 fps...

Yeah but your eye can tell a difference betwen mouse lag and no mouse lag. (40-60)

Javaguychronox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Javaguychronox
Member since 2007 • 175 Posts
[QUOTE="dbowman"]

varpad

oh yes it can, at least I noticed a HUGE amount of slowdown when a game went from 70 to 40 fps, it was quite shocking. I cna live with anything above 30, but 60 is much preferred, it looks so much more fluid.

l1mIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 l1mIt
Member since 2007 • 452 Posts

100+FPS for MMOs, FPS, RTS's

and i dont know how many FPS the eye can SEE but i can FEEL the defference from 40-60-100FPS

JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts
What you guys have to consider about framerate is that even if you're getting 100+ FPS, if your display isn't set to 100+ Hz, your accuracy will likely be less because of the tearing, which tends to render parts of the screen out-of-place. The best thing you can do is to sync your refresh rate and framerate as closely as possible, which results in a more stable image and more predictable motion. This is why Vsync is still a standard option in almost every game, even though it technically limits FPS.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#75 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts

Isn't TV only like 30 FPS? People do not NEED 60 fps..MTBare

You should read this: http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html

JJ_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 JJ_1
Member since 2004 • 911 Posts
40 fps all the way...
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

I don't get too into the details personally. Here's my own personal standard:

If I NOTICE it, the framerate is too low.

If I DON'T NOTICE it, the framerate is fine.

That's about how deep I get into graphical details. I buy the game, tweak the details and if it runs fine without looking like Play-Dough - I'm happy.

astor47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 astor47
Member since 2005 • 849 Posts

I dont get why people cant tolerate 25-30 in FPSs, its really fine for me, since my system is utter crap, in fact i have all my life played shooters at 16-18 FPS (singleplayer and MP) with really ease, i dont want 60 FPs, i dont think they are necessary.

P.S: I finished Hitman Blood Money in a week, playing it at 5-6 FPS

astor47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 astor47
Member since 2005 • 849 Posts

And for the ones talking about that you dont need 60 Fps in an TV

That's because tv programs and movies use a technique called motion blur (not the one you see in games) this creates an illusion of much smoother results, even though theyre running at a maximum of 24Fps