You will have to pay for your own dedicated server in Black ops, thoughts?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

IGN news

Thoughts?

for the people that do not want to read it, you will not have to pay to play on dedicated server, but you will have to pay in order to rent your own. The deal is exclusive with gameservers.com

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

That wont affect me at all, providing this company provides quality servers I will still happily buy this product.

GswSir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GswSir
Member since 2010 • 544 Posts
I am rather happy to see that dedicated servers will be available. That being said, I am never really in support of monopolies or exclusive deals.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GazaAli
I think the prices and their capacities are a little too much.
coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

15 bucks a month for a 18 player server lol.

I think I'm good with my free 32 player CS:S servers :D

Empirefrtw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Empirefrtw
Member since 2006 • 1324 Posts

Yeah it does suck both that their is no choice but going with them and that the caps are so low,

Frenzyd109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 Frenzyd109
Member since 2007 • 2276 Posts
I'm sure enough clans and people will pay for this to have a large community for some time. 18 people each server is plenty. stop complaining
XXI_World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 XXI_World
Member since 2008 • 2050 Posts

I'm sure enough clans and people will pay for this to have a large community for some time. 18 people each server is plenty. stop complainingFrenzyd109

No one's complaining. And 18 people per server isn't plenty.

Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts
Don't most people already do this? I thought that servers running at home were usually pretty slow if you didn't live close by.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GazaAli

[QUOTE="Frenzyd109"]I'm sure enough clans and people will pay for this to have a large community for some time. 18 people each server is plenty. stop complainingXXI_World

No one's complaining. And 18 people per server isn't plenty.

indeed no one is complaining, I'm asking for opinions. Also, the prices are HIGH.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Don't most people already do this? I thought that servers running at home were usually pretty slow if you didn't live close by.Mochyc
Thats what i thought too. I think its reasonable.
Roris0A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Roris0A
Member since 2007 • 627 Posts

The 18 player cap is only for ranked servers, unranked servers get a slight boost to 24 players at 1$ for each player.. It's still expensive and it leaves hosts and clans with less options, but it's better than nothing on one hand. But I dearly hope that this isn't the complete picture of pc gaming online fps in the future.

Frenzyd109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 Frenzyd109
Member since 2007 • 2276 Posts
I think the prices and their capacities are a little too much.GazaAli

coreybg

Yeah it does suck both that their is no choice but going with them and that the caps are so low,

Empirefrtw
Thats not complaining?
Lance2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Lance2500
Member since 2009 • 680 Posts

The 18 player cap is only for ranked servers, unranked servers get a slight boost to 24 players at 1$ for each player.. It's still expensive and it leaves hosts and clans with less options, but it's better than nothing on one hand. But I dearly hope that this isn't the complete picture of pc gaming online fps in the future.

Roris0A

Yeah if that happens, I'm gaming with nintendo.

Buttons1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Buttons1990
Member since 2009 • 3167 Posts

Prices aren't high... Most places charge that much to host servers... If not more... Hell some places charge $25 a month for an 18 player server...

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GazaAli
Wow some people here are impressive. Complaining and whining would be like "**** Activision, screw the COD series....etc" You have to learn how to differentiate an opinion from whining and complaining :roll:
XXI_World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 XXI_World
Member since 2008 • 2050 Posts

Wow some people here are impressive. Complaining and whining would be like "**** Activision, screw the COD series....etc" You have to learn how to differentiate an opinion from whining and complaining :roll:GazaAli

I second this.

The people here are just saying "x thing is bad" not "(insert all caps random sentence here) activision is bs blah blah".

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
Very well. I'll play on someone else's server. Not a problem.
face_ripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 face_ripper
Member since 2010 • 968 Posts
They should have not changed they way PC servers are, COD4 was more than perfect.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
18v18 for ranked? That's it? They could have at least made the cap 24p for both ranked and unranked. Such a small cap and exclusive deal could also mean that Activision will still have an easy time pushing its absurdly priced map packs to consumers.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Who cares? We're still getting dedicated, which will be a major improvement over IW.net...

guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts

i'm happy that they add Dedicated Servers in COD: Black Ops :D

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dakan45
[QUOTE="GazaAli"]Wow some people here are impressive. Complaining and whining would be like "**** Activision, screw the COD series....etc" You have to learn how to differentiate an opinion from whining and complaining :roll:

I third this. We just post our opinion and critism now whine about everything.
Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Farkeman
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
yup , and you wont be allowed to controll your server , so huray for 15$ map packs ! not buying , il stick with this formula medal of honor ---> bf bc2 vietnam ---> crysis 2 ---> brink ---> bf3 maybe ? ---> Rage for my online fps gaming this year , did i missed something ?
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts
18v18 for ranked? That's it? They could have at least made the cap 24p for both ranked and unranked. Such a small cap and exclusive deal could also mean that Activision will still have an easy time pushing its absurdly priced map packs to consumers.the_ChEeSe_mAn2
No.. 18 players. 9v9... I don't think the server rental prices are bad... I was thinking of splitting one with a friend of mine, considering how much CoD we play. The only issue I have is that the Canadian server cluster they use is in Montreal, not Toronto.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

IT MAKES ME ANGWY this is no better than MW2 as far as I'm concerned...

Yes it's redic I can't host my own servers and customize them the way I WANT

ROAR

And the way I want typically means stock but I have super awesome servers.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

They can do anything they want with this game. In fact, I'm quite happy they're making horrible decisions. With there being no demo or beta for people to play before they buy it, I'm hoping people will see the error in their ways. Rent this one for SP, buy Medal of Honor. :)

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts

Not supporting the CoD franchise anymore. I'll stick to CoD4, thanks.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"]18v18 for ranked? That's it? They could have at least made the cap 24p for both ranked and unranked. Such a small cap and exclusive deal could also mean that Activision will still have an easy time pushing its absurdly priced map packs to consumers.MyopicCanadian
No.. 18 players. 9v9... I don't think the server rental prices are bad... I was thinking of splitting one with a friend of mine, considering how much CoD we play. The only issue I have is that the Canadian server cluster they use is in Montreal, not Toronto.

I meant 18 players total :) Personally I wouldn't have a problem with the cluster being in Montreal, as I live in Ottawa :P
D1zzyCriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 D1zzyCriminal
Member since 2009 • 1839 Posts

The wager mode is the only reason I want this game. Otherwise give me Battlefield any day.

As long as the serversare good quality, $15 is like £10, which isreasonable. Not fantastic value but thats Activision for you.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dakan45
[QUOTE="Farkeman"]yup , and you wont be allowed to controll your server , so huray for 15$ map packs ! not buying , il stick with this formula medal of honor ---> bf bc2 vietnam ---> crysis 2 ---> brink ---> bf3 maybe ? ---> Rage for my online fps gaming this year , did i missed something ?

Rage wont have dedicated servers either.

They can do anything they want with this game. In fact, I'm quite happy they're making horrible decisions. With there being no demo or beta for people to play before they buy it, I'm hoping people will see the error in their ways. Rent this one for SP, buy Medal of Honor. :)

airshocker
No offence but Moh multiplayer was awful. It felt sooo bad, so "mediocre" nowhere near as good as bc2. Also its a poor mix between cod4 and bc2. I have scraped away my mind the MP part of moh and i hope for a good sp to redeem them.
Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Farkeman
Dakan45 , dude , it was a beta ! you know what beta is right ? knowing dice , i assure you ,the final version of the game will be fixed and polished , look at these 2 mp trailers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YjHEFygFrg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT3wpTF-V80 crazy... moh doesnt have anything like cod , no perks and other unbalanced sh** ... cod is horrible game and i feel srry for every1 who payed 60$+30$ map packs for that , pirated version is even better than retail one , it has dev console, dedicated servers etc. im not buying any game from activision , i dont even know how Blizzard puts up with them... ACTIVISION should disband for gaming sake !
andalore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 andalore
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts

didnt Battlefield 2 have something similar? This wont be affecting me as I just join games, I dont create them and none of my friends are into PC gaming so I have no use for creating servers.

Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Farkeman

didnt Battlefield 2 have something similar? This wont be affecting me as I just join games, I dont create them and none of my friends are into PC gaming so I have no use for creating servers.

andalore
ye bc2 are not releasing server files to public , but its not the same , you see bc2 is sending out server files to all server hosting companies , and black ops will be making a deal with gameservers.com or whatever and they are the only 1 who will be able to sell dedicated server , so activision would have controll of our content , say hello to 15$ map packs again !
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

coreybg
Word up, one could play WoW, have a free CS:S server, and still have fun playing Black Ops, just not hosting a server.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dakan45

Dakan45 , dude , it was a beta ! you know what beta is right ? knowing dice , i assure you ,the final version of the game will be fixed and polished , look at these 2 mp trailers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YjHEFygFrg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT3wpTF-V80 crazy... moh doesnt have anything like cod , no perks and other unbalanced **** ... cod is horrible game and i feel srry for every1 who payed 60$+30$ map packs for that , pirated version is even better than retail one , it has dev console, dedicated servers etc. im not buying any game from activision , i dont even know how Blizzard puts up with them... ACTIVISION should disband for gaming sake !Farkeman

I am sorry but i watched those videos and the shooting mechanics look like cod so yeah its like a cod. Also i dont like how they try to make the game so similar to bc2. Seriously the M9 had 12 shots becauese bc2 did too. Its moh damn it, moh is about authenticity. Sorry but ea you lost me on the mp, i want moh mp not cod4 made by Dice

Also i have gotten tired of the "Beta" excuse, and bc2 had a beta but it was 10000000 times better, this is just mediocre, like dice does not give a damn about the game.

I like perks and perks are not unbalanced at all, they give you something but you lose something else that you could have chosen instead of this perk. Its fun, it makes the game non generic, moh seems to be another generic mp fps with guns. I will go for black ops instead.

Also ea is going for 60 bucks too on all their games. As you see activision aint worse than ea or ubisoft. Besides black ops will have mod tools, so you can make your own maps.

Any other rants you wanna make?

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
I can see Black Ops having paid map packs if Actisuck are so closely controlling the dedis.
Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Farkeman

[QUOTE="Farkeman"]Dakan45 , dude , it was a beta ! you know what beta is right ? knowing dice , i assure you ,the final version of the game will be fixed and polished , look at these 2 mp trailers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YjHEFygFrg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT3wpTF-V80 crazy... moh doesnt have anything like cod , no perks and other unbalanced **** ... cod is horrible game and i feel srry for every1 who payed 60$+30$ map packs for that , pirated version is even better than retail one , it has dev console, dedicated servers etc. im not buying any game from activision , i dont even know how Blizzard puts up with them... ACTIVISION should disband for gaming sake !dakan45

I am sorry but i watched those videos and the shooting mechanics look like cod so yeah its like a cod. Also i dont like how they try to make the game so similar to bc2. Seriously the M9 had 12 shots becauese bc2 did too. Its moh damn it, moh is about authenticity. Sorry but ea you lost me on the mp, i want moh mp not cod4 made by Dice

Also i have gotten tired of the "Beta" excuse, and bc2 had a beta but it was 10000000 times better, this is just mediocre, like dice does not give a damn about the game.

I like perks and perks are not unbalanced at all, they give you something but you lose something else that you could have chosen instead of this perk. Its fun, it makes the game non generic, moh seems to be another generic mp fps with guns. I will go for black ops instead.

Also ea is going for 60 bucks too on all their games. As you see activision aint worse than ea or ubisoft. Besides black ops will have mod tools, so you can make your own maps.

Any other rants you wanna make?

lol , dude you should quit pc gaming and buy an xbox , you would fit right in there . just sayin ...

NeilCardiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 NeilCardiff
Member since 2008 • 834 Posts

I'm sure enough clans and people will pay for this to have a large community for some time. 18 people each server is plenty. stop complainingFrenzyd109

Only people who agree with "Frenzyd109" are allowed to comment on these forums.

Everyone else must shut up and "stop complaining", even if they have a perfectly valid argument to make.

I think I must have missed this rule in the FAQ's/T&C's

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

Seems cheap to me, I think it's good they're doing this. Dedicated servers are a MUST.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MyopicCanadian

lol , dude you should quit pc gaming and buy an xbox , you would fit right in there . just sayin ...

Farkeman

Is that what you resort to you when you can't provide a solid argument?

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

I am not being funny but if you have open dedicated servers don't you get pirate servers which can give multiplayer to pirate copies of the game? If thats the case then isnt this pretty reasonable of the developers? I mean, we as players get high quality servers that are DEDICATED so great performance, but pirates miss out on multiplayer. I dont really see how we lose.

Also with regards to the amount of players on the map, doesent that really mater on how the maps are designed? For example having 60 players in Battleifeld makes sense because of its gameplay style, but CoD multiplayer is more small scale and thus you can have smaller numbers of players withot losing much from its experience (providing the maps are well designed of course.)

Avatar image for spiderman120988
spiderman120988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#45 spiderman120988
Member since 2005 • 1421 Posts
I don't know, 18 people again? I'm glad we got our servers back 18 people is really small. I like my shootouts with 64 people! =D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

No offence but Moh multiplayer was awful. It felt sooo bad, so "mediocre" nowhere near as good as bc2. Also its a poor mix between cod4 and bc2. I have scraped away my mind the MP part of moh and i hope for a good sp to redeem them.dakan45

The vast majority disagree with you.

I loved the MoH MP. I'm probably going to play that instead of BC2 when Reach comes out.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MyopicCanadian

[QUOTE="dakan45"]No offence but Moh multiplayer was awful. It felt sooo bad, so "mediocre" nowhere near as good as bc2. Also its a poor mix between cod4 and bc2. I have scraped away my mind the MP part of moh and i hope for a good sp to redeem them.airshocker

The vast majority disagree with you.

I loved the MoH MP. I'm probably going to play that instead of BC2 when Reach comes out.

That hardly seems to be the case from what I've seen on this forum. A lot of people were disappointed with the MoH beta, myself included. But coming from BC2, I suppose it could be a step up :)
Avatar image for spiderman120988
spiderman120988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#48 spiderman120988
Member since 2005 • 1421 Posts
I was also disappointed in the MoH beta, it felt like a cheap knock off of MW2. I won't be getting the game in October.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

That hardly seems to be the case from what I've seen on this forum. A lot of people were disappointed with the MoH beta, myself included. But coming from BC2, I suppose it could be a step up :)MyopicCanadian

BC2 still has some problems with it. Knifing being my major gripe. MoH doesn't have that problem and it's quite a bit more fast-paced.

Anyway, this all might be a moot point when Reach comes out, so we'll see.

i-like-pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 i-like-pie
Member since 2005 • 4070 Posts

I use gameserver.com for COD4 and its better then I expected. I dont see how this is going to be a problem