WoW Now Free....or rather, Free-er than the current trial [No kidding!]

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts
WoW is now free to everyone who is Level 20 and under. I'm not kidding. No more 10 or 14 day trials! Though I don't think it's totally free if you want to play the expansion content. [Blizzard via Kotaku] That's good news for me, but we can't download it right now because Account Management is down...
agpickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 agpickle
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

Darn, I was hoping to see that the sub fee was gone. No reason for me to play again.

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
Agree no reason for me to resub. Looks like a act of desperation after recently loosing 600k people. I doubt WoW will ever go F2P. Activision is too greedy.
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

So they are keeping the sub, i may check it out now.

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
Heres my idea on what would happen if WoW went free... Wow --> Free --> ^ players --> ^Gold Farmers --> Microtransaction Mania --> Profit Shorter, step by step version 1. Go free 2. Add more Microtransaction items 3. ??? 4. PROFIT
rikimaru93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rikimaru93
Member since 2003 • 762 Posts
Agree no reason for me to resub. Looks like a act of desperation after recently loosing 600k people. I doubt WoW will ever go F2P. Activision is too greedy. IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
If you were making over 100 mil a month in subscription fees would you change your pricing scheme?
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

no thx.. all this means is that bots n spammers will multiply exponentially between now and the next expansion.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Agree no reason for me to resub. Looks like a act of desperation after recently loosing 600k people. I doubt WoW will ever go F2P. Activision is too greedy. IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

lol its clever marketing not an act of desperation. What they are giving away for free is the base WoW, which you can get for like 5 bucks, the rest you have to buy on your own. So they will gain alot from this.

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
[QUOTE="IxX3xil3d0n3XxI"]Agree no reason for me to resub. Looks like a act of desperation after recently loosing 600k people. I doubt WoW will ever go F2P. Activision is too greedy. rikimaru93
If you were making over 100 mil a month in subscription fees would you change your pricing scheme?

Nope. I would try to milk it by releasing new mounts and cosmetic pets every few weeks. OWAIT
lge777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 lge777
Member since 2003 • 2507 Posts

with Ruins Of Magic (F2P clone)and Star Wars The Old Republic around the corner..WoW soon to go the way of Everquest

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rzepak

[QUOTE="rikimaru93"][QUOTE="IxX3xil3d0n3XxI"]Agree no reason for me to resub. Looks like a act of desperation after recently loosing 600k people. I doubt WoW will ever go F2P. Activision is too greedy. IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Nope. I would try to milk it by releasing new mounts and cosmetic pets every few weeks. OWAIT

What I never understood was why didnt Blizzard implement a f2p cash shop model over in asia. I mean thats basically the model for every mmo over there. Instead they get ridiculously small amounts of money from the pay for the hours you play price scheme.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

with Ruins Of Magic (F2P clone)and Star Wars The Old Republic around the corner..WoW soon to go the way of Everquest

lge777
I don't think ToR will hurt wow (they said it was essentially a wow clone...), and I've not even hard of Ruins of Magic... I doubt, but would love if either GW2 killed wow, or something like Tera, but not Tera.. if there's another non-pedo approved mmo that's actiony like it, it is allowed to kill it.
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rzepak

lge777

You mean Runes of Magic the f2p mmo that no one cares about anymore? Way of Everquest, odd thing to say seeing as both the EQ games are still around so apparently making money.

Sleepyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Sleepyz
Member since 2003 • 3805 Posts

Wait till Guild wars 2 comes out then they'll lose many more subscribers and eventually will go f2p.

But last 2 expansions for wow made the game so easy its at the ridiculous level and will never bother with it again.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

lge777

I tried Rune of Magic to get my WoW fix... No way near as good. I just reinstalled WoW today and if it wasn't down for maintance I would of been playing again lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

lge777

They said the same thing about rift, FFXIV and pretty much every other MMO that's come out since WoW. It will put a dent in the player base but then blizzard will just release the next part of the cataclysm content and then tralalala everyone's back again. Mind you I could only stomach the game for about 4 months. I don't know what keeps people coming back to it.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I dont give a flying **** if this game was completely free. I wouldn't waste a second on this garbage.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AutoPilotOn

[QUOTE="lge777"]

October_Tide

They said the same thing about rift, FFXIV and pretty much every other MMO that's come out since WoW. It will put a dent in the player base but then blizzard will just release the next part of the cataclysm content and then tralalala everyone's back again. Mind you I could only stomach the game for about 4 months. I don't know what keeps people coming back to it.

I dont know eigther. I have played WoW off and on since launch. Something about it just makes me go back to it. I am not one to even finish most of my regular games eigther...

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
The most fun I had in WoW was 1-20 anyways. Level 19 PvP used to be my favorite.
lordlunch2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 lordlunch2
Member since 2006 • 544 Posts
WOW is never going to go F2P or die out lol, not to mention Blizzard has said they've been working on a new MMO for a while now and it's safe to assume it'll probably be the next WOW-type game to replace it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

lol level 20 can be hit in 3 hrs or less, nothing big about that. 1-20 is lame anyways barley and abilities

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

I cant believe all the people in this thread hating on blizzard for charging a sub fee, or selling mounts/pets etc......why the F not? You dont have to buy them, you dont have to play, dont hate on them for making money, I swear pc gamer here wants everything for free, look at my 40000 rig, but I wont pay for games lol what a joke

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts

lol level 20 can be hit in 3 hrs or less, nothing big about that. 1-20 is lame anyways barley and abilities

Advid-Gamer
Only those who played WoW before will hit 20 that fast. New players will most likely take longer than that.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AutoPilotOn

I cant believe all the people in this thread hating on blizzard for charging a sub fee, or selling mounts/pets etc......why the F not? You dont have to buy them, you dont have to play, dont hate on them for making money, I swear pc gamer here wants everything for free, look at my 40000 rig, but I wont pay for games lol what a joke

Advid-Gamer

yea i dont know what anyone would be upset at blizzard charging for a couple special edition pets or mounts. They never make you pay for any items you actually need or would give someone who pays extra an advantage. Only a couple comestic additions.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]

AutoPilotOn

yea i dont know what anyone would be upset at blizzard charging for a couple special edition pets or mounts. They never make you pay for any items you actually need or would give someone who pays extra an advantage. Only a couple comestic additions.

What thread could they possibly troll if this wouldn't be here?

OWAIT they be releasin dem pets and mounts every week, it has only two premium mounts and around 8 pets or so that give you no advantage or reason to purchase, the only ones commenting are the jealous people that have more than enough mounts and pets in game, that 99% of them aren't even good enough to get most of them.

As for the subscription fee, no educated person will comment on that, just trolls.

marcogamer07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26 marcogamer07
Member since 2008 • 1615 Posts

I'm not liking this idea...the game is going to become full of bots. They should either keep the trial or just take the route that many MMOs are taking...just make the game free. Blizzard/Activision would make a lot more money due to the dropped subscription luring people to buy the game + the expansions.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DanielDust

I'm not liking this idea...the game is going to become full of bots. They should either keep the trial or just take the route that many MMOs are taking...just make the game free. Blizzard/Activision would make a lot more money due to the dropped subscription luring people to buy the game + the expansions.

marcogamer07
They wouldn't, maintenance fees make up most of the money they make on WoW in one year. Unlike all those other free MMOs they have no reason to close the tenths of realms they have to leave only 3 or 4 active ones on several servers (not thousands). They wouldn't last a year with such a decision, not WoW, Blizzard itself would be in trouble. Free games are only profitable with microtransactions (microtransactions ruin games) and for them to be profitable from just that the game needs to have next to no support, and just a few pieces of hardware (not thousands like they require if they had players), a free game can't sustain millions and offer a great experience for all of them. A MMO that goes free, is a failure, they do that to save their investments and grab what they can while it lasts, WoW needs no saving and Blizzard isn't stupid enough to go bankrupt because some might think it's better for them to make it free, money wise.
heatfanman101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 heatfanman101
Member since 2008 • 2877 Posts

Maybe it will go F2P when the next blizzard MMO (Titan I think it's called) releases

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DanielDust

[QUOTE="IxX3xil3d0n3XxI"]Agree no reason for me to resub. Looks like a act of desperation after recently loosing 600k people. I doubt WoW will ever go F2P. Activision is too greedy. heatfanman101

Maybe it will go F2P when the next blizzard MMO (Titan I think it's called) releases

It will when the first profitable MMO will go free to play and there's only one atm, EVE it's not going free anytime soon, there'll also be SW TOR which is more likely to become free than WoW but considering who is behind it, that won't happen.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

*googles losing 600k* I see why now...

KhanhAgE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KhanhAgE
Member since 2004 • 1345 Posts
The most fun I had in WoW was 1-20 anyways. Level 19 PvP used to be my favorite.Swiftstrike5
Lvl 19 PvP was pretty freaking fun. But what you're gonna get now, is people with sub. accounts decking out toons on free accounts to PvP.