Would you boycott Lucas Arts?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts
Ok here is the deal. Everybody heard about the upcoming Kotor MMO which will be a product of a bioware and lucas arts partnership, though the situation is still a bit unclear. So lucas arts is bringing star wars force unleashed to any possible platform except pc and the worst of all makes up a lame excuse for that. However, KOTOR mmo is supposed to be pc exclusive. my point is this is what do they think of us? "oh here are the pc gamers, lets milk them with an mmo but screw them with other games". I will definitely boycott them.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#2 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

How are you going to Boycott them?

The smart thing to do would be to not buy any of their games.

Their chance of redemption is to released Jedi Knight: IV but I really doubt that will happen anytime soon.

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts
its not thats their arn't having a pc force unleashed but its poor quality of excuse they gave that really tipped me over but this hasn't stoppped them before.
SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SamiRDuran

Their chance of redemption is to released Jedi Knight: IV but I really doubt that will happen anytime soon.

biggest_loser

not falling for the KOTOR mmo hype and eventually not buying it? I would gladly get into a new MMO from blizzard. At least they are honest and stick with us.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
It's been a long time since I last bought a LucasArts game.
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts

I buy the games I want, and don't buy the games I don't want. Regardless of who makes them. If BioShock 2 is a masterpiece, I'll buy it. If Epic ever makes a good game ever again, I'll buy it. If Bungie works on a PC game, and it's a good title, I'll buy it.

I'm not going to miss out on a great game over principles, because it doesn't make a damn bit of difference to anyone but me, and if I skip a great game, the only person who's losing out is me. There are petitions of upwards of fifty thousand signatures asking for TFU on PC, and it means squat.

There just aren't enough people who care to make a difference. I'll be buying TFU for my Wii. I won't be buying the KotoR MMO because it's an MMO.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
the fact that it's an MMO turns me off. anyone could make it, but I'm not getting this.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
If it is as good as SWGpre-cu or better I will get it (assuming they include the ability to use macros).
Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts
Kotor III is a turn off just for being an MMo i don't hate mmo i just hate the subscriptoin fee that comes with it.
sholva666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 sholva666
Member since 2008 • 410 Posts

the fact that it's an MMO turns me off. anyone could make it, but I'm not getting this.bulletsword

My thoughts exactly :)

Termite551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Termite551
Member since 2006 • 1125 Posts
If I had the power to, yes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 1005
Member since 2003 • 3738 Posts

How many of these topics have we had in the PC forums before where someone says "boycott X company because of Z reason?"

If a games good and appeals to you then buy it. If you really want to play the Force Unleashed then buy one of the many platforms its going to be released on and enjoy.

Carbon_Python

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Carbon_Python
Member since 2008 • 168 Posts
The market is better for console games and honestly its easier to develop a console game than it is to a PC
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

1. i will not boycott a good game if it comes to pc iirespetive of whoever makes

2.lucas arts are publishing the game and not making it

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#15 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts
What happened Lucasarts? You used to be cool... :( I will always have fond memories of Monkey Island and Jedi Knight.
artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts
I'll get the 360 version. Like others said, your loss if the game turns out to be awesome.
_rpg_FAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 _rpg_FAN
Member since 2005 • 1418 Posts

Dont see reasons why so much mmo haters.

MMO is great genre and even if we must pay for it (WOW) its not that expencive afterall.

lenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lenson
Member since 2006 • 2531 Posts
So do you want to boycott them because they are making kotor mmo pc exclusive?
-Origin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 -Origin-
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts

How many of these topics have we had in the PC forums before where someone says "boycott X company because of Z reason?"

If a games good and appeals to you then buy it. If you really want to play the Force Unleashed then buy one of the many platforms its going to be released on and enjoy.

I agree with you completely..I'm tired of people just wanting to get rid of a company just because they dont like their games..or because they just try to be successful as a business and trying to make a profit...Thats the whole point of being a business and a company..to make money...so just let them do their job...if their games arent good then you dont buy them..its that simple..you dont need to boycott..?

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SamiRDuran

I did not ask anybody to boycott any company. i just asked a question.

1. i will not boycott a good game if it comes to pc iirespetive of whoever makes

naval

So ea that owns the developer, bioware, will give their most ambitious game to lucas arts to publish it? doesnt make any sense to me.

I'll get the 360 version. Like others said, your loss if the game turns out to be awesome.artur79

too bad the game will be pc exclusive.

Dont see reasons why so much mmo haters.

MMO is great genre and even if we must pay for it (WOW) its not that expencive afterall.

_rpg_FAN

what does this have to do with what i said? i never said that i hate mmos. what annoys me is that developers see it as the only way to milk us while ignoring our existance with other types of games.

So do you want to boycott them because they are making kotor mmo pc exclusive?lenson

did anybody even read what i said?? seriously...

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Ok here is the deal. Everybody heard about the upcoming Kotor MMO which will be a product of a bioware and lucas arts partnership, though the situation is still a bit unclear. So lucas arts is bringing star wars force unleashed to any possible platform except pc and the worst of all makes up a lame excuse for that. However, KOTOR mmo is supposed to be pc exclusive. my point is this is what do they think of us? "oh here are the pc gamers, lets milk them with an mmo but screw them with other games". I will definitely boycott them.SamiRDuran

Ok... how many people do you actually believe would follow the boycott of a BIOWARE game? "Welcome to the KOToR MMO hater board.... there are 3 people online. Please sign up to post!"

Boycotts, like petitions, do not work.

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SamiRDuran

[QUOTE="SamiRDuran"]Ok here is the deal. Everybody heard about the upcoming Kotor MMO which will be a product of a bioware and lucas arts partnership, though the situation is still a bit unclear. So lucas arts is bringing star wars force unleashed to any possible platform except pc and the worst of all makes up a lame excuse for that. However, KOTOR mmo is supposed to be pc exclusive. my point is this is what do they think of us? "oh here are the pc gamers, lets milk them with an mmo but screw them with other games". I will definitely boycott them.Johnny_Rock

Ok... how many people do you actually believe would follow the boycott of a BIOWARE game? "Welcome to the KOToR MMO hater board.... there are 3 people online. Please sign up to post!"

the point of this thread was to see if anybody is pissed of at lucas arts enough to make a difference in their future games. no one will go on the streets to protest against them. but what will happen on this scenario: bioware and lucas art's MMO is ready for release at around the same time with Blizzard's next mmo. I believe almost everybody will follow blizzard and one of the reasons will be the fact that they stick with us through hard times, they dont only offer us an mmo but all their future games are pc exclusives.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts
[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

[QUOTE="SamiRDuran"]Ok here is the deal. Everybody heard about the upcoming Kotor MMO which will be a product of a bioware and lucas arts partnership, though the situation is still a bit unclear. So lucas arts is bringing star wars force unleashed to any possible platform except pc and the worst of all makes up a lame excuse for that. However, KOTOR mmo is supposed to be pc exclusive. my point is this is what do they think of us? "oh here are the pc gamers, lets milk them with an mmo but screw them with other games". I will definitely boycott them.SamiRDuran

the point of this thread was to see if anybody is pissed of at lucas arts enough to make a difference in their future games. no one will go on the streets to protest against them. but what will happen on this scenario: bioware and lucas art's MMO is ready for release at around the same time with Blizzard's next mmo. I believe almost everybody will follow blizzard and one of the reasons will be the fact that they stick with us through hard times, they dont only offer us an mmo but all their future games are pc exclusives.

Now the example you just gave here has nothing to do with a boycott. The fact that people might go with Blizzard has nothing to do with the fact that EA is making The Force Unleashed, console only. And it also has nothing to do with Blizzard sticking with the PC community. It has everything to do with they make good games.

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts

too bad the game will be pc exclusive.

Are we talking about the same game? TFU?

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SamiRDuran
[QUOTE="SamiRDuran"][QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

[QUOTE="SamiRDuran"]Ok here is the deal. Everybody heard about the upcoming Kotor MMO which will be a product of a bioware and lucas arts partnership, though the situation is still a bit unclear. So lucas arts is bringing star wars force unleashed to any possible platform except pc and the worst of all makes up a lame excuse for that. However, KOTOR mmo is supposed to be pc exclusive. my point is this is what do they think of us? "oh here are the pc gamers, lets milk them with an mmo but screw them with other games". I will definitely boycott them.Johnny_Rock

Now the example you just gave here has nothing to do with a boycott. The fact that people might go with Blizzard has nothing to do with the fact that EA is making The Force Unleashed, console only. And it also has nothing to do with Blizzard sticking with the PC community. It has everything to do with they make good games.

sorry but this is no true at all. countless of examples. how come crysis was and still is so hyped? how come far cry 2 lost most of its hype,even if it looks amazing, when it was announced as a multiplatform game? you are just kidding yourself...

of course blizzard makes good games but so do lots of other companies.

lenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lenson
Member since 2006 • 2531 Posts

What I got from your post was you were mad to begin with for Force Unleashed not coming to pc, but also Lucasarts and Bioware bringing a Kotor mmo exclusively to pc ticked you off even more? So I am just wondering why you seem so mad about the Kotor mmo coming to pc? I may be mistaken, you may not care at all, that would be more logical, who gets mad over a game coming to their platform, but if not why bring it up?

As for what they think of us, a mmo on pc is the most obvious choice. So they are probably only thinking what platform is most logical to put the game on. Pc is the main platform for the mmo genre afterall. Biowares' reasons for not bringing kotor to consoles is probably along the lines of it being just too much trouble. Its not easy to develop a mmo for a console.

I don't recall what reasons Lucasarts gave for not bringing Force Unleashed to pc. If piracy was one of those issues, well a mmo would not have an issue with that. But it does seem they obviously just do not have any faith in the pc platform. Many companies seem to be doing the same thing, like EA sports starting to cancel all their franchises for pc for example. Upsetting as it is that I won't see Force unleashed on pc, I don't see a boycott being effective anyways. If its not coming to pc then I just won't bother thats all. There is plenty of other things to do, so I won't get so worked up over one game.

SonKev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SonKev
Member since 2007 • 552 Posts
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

SamiRDuran

not falling for the KOTOR mmo hype and eventually not buying it? I would gladly get into a new MMO from blizzard. At least they are honest and stick with us.

blizz is making a next gen MMO so dont worry, just wait

mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts

I am a bit annoyed that TFU isn't on PC when it's on every other platform from DS to PS3, and the fact that I used to love Lucasarts thanks to Jedi Knights, Monkey Islands and whatnot only adds salt to the wounds. Well, most "jedi" games outside the jedi knight series have sucked, so maybe TFU will suck too, then I'll just laugh.

I'm not gonna boycott Kotor MMO tho, since that would be pointless when I'm unlikely to get it anyway.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
I'd consider boycotting them, but to be honest The Force Unleashed isn't going to be that good of a game. It has decent physics, and that's about it. The storyline, the gameplay, etc. all look subpar. Trust me on this one; the game isn't going to do too good. And even if it does - it'll be due to hype instead of how good the game really is.
MarioJP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MarioJP_
Member since 2008 • 319 Posts
Actually the reason why madden games are being cancelled for the pc not due to piracy but it never was popular on the pc to begin with. The port was crappy and didn't even bother with the graphics. These kind of games just isn't popular on the pc period.
zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#32 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts

I generally tend to skip Lucas Arts games nowadays as they seem to have become obsessed with making Star Wars games. Star Wars is good but Lucas Arts have long gone past the point of simply milking it.

The only way to boycott them would be to not buy any games that had their involvement.

Brendruis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Brendruis
Member since 2002 • 1016 Posts
I'm afraid that a boycott may not be necessary. It seems that they have cut their development teams so greatly...I fear the days of real LucasArts games are gone anyways :(
MarioJP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MarioJP_
Member since 2008 • 319 Posts

And also would like to say is also Pc's gamers are getting games that we would never see come to this platform. Such as Devil May Cry 4. This game was only on consoles but now its here on the PC. So its obviously PC gaming has a market otherwise we wouldn't see Devil May Cry 4 on the pc.

And Furthermore i even read somewhere that Resident Evil 5 will come to the PC after its been launched for the consoles. As far as lucas arts goes i think because they just want to target the console audience but the fact remains is pc gaming can't no longer be ignored so give it sometime and who knows they can just make a 160 and will see more of there games on the pc.

This trend nowadays is anything is possible. Not telling what other games pc gamers will see in the future.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#35 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
The mmo genre is slowly dying. Vanguard, Tabula Rasa, Hellgate and recently Age of Conan isnt that all successful. I dont think we would need to boycott this KOTOR mmo because nobody would really be playing it as Lucasarts would hope.
nightwraith40k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nightwraith40k
Member since 2008 • 475 Posts
Not playing it plain and simple, I don't have the money to waste on mmo's I'd rather wait for a good game to buy.
loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts
No, I will play Grim Fandango for ever and ever.
col_hannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 col_hannibal
Member since 2007 • 389 Posts

Ok here is the deal. Everybody heard about the upcoming Kotor MMO which will be a product of a bioware and lucas arts partnership, though the situation is still a bit unclear. So lucas arts is bringing star wars force unleashed to any possible platform except pc and the worst of all makes up a lame excuse for that. However, KOTOR mmo is supposed to be pc exclusive. my point is this is what do they think of us? "oh here are the pc gamers, lets milk them with an mmo but screw them with other games". I will definitely boycott them.SamiRDuran

I understand what you're saying, for example I hate Ubisoft and I avoid all their games like plague, the reason is simple, I hate being ripped off. Double Agent was the last game I bought from Ubisoft, and I'm sure many PC gamers know what I mean.

If you feel that Lucas Arts doesn't deserve your money, then don't buy their games, it's as simple as that. You shouldn't care that others don't share your opinions or try to convince them to do the same.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17822 Posts

a boycott doesent help. if lucasarts and bioware deliver quality then u should get it. it might make the suits there sit up and think "hmm....there is alot of money there" and thus we get more developer support. more developer support is very rarely a bad thing.

boycotting a company because they dont bring all their games to a platform and they say stupid things sometimes doesent make much sense. if they deliver quality then quality should be rewarded with sales.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
The fact that people might go with Blizzard has nothing to do with the fact that EA is making The Force Unleashed, console only. Johnny_Rock
Though I otherwise agree with you, wtf does EA have to do with The Force Unleashed? That's 100% LucasArts developed and published.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

[QUOTE="naval"]

SamiRDuran

So ea that owns the developer, bioware, will give their most ambitious game to lucas arts to publish it? doesnt make any sense to me.

well EA has no choice as Lucas Arts has the rights to star wars franchise

Avatar image for Nikolai_siberia
Nikolai_siberia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Nikolai_siberia
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Boycotts, like petitions, do not work. Johnny_Rock

On the contrary. Petitions don't work because they are based on words. Boycotts do work because they are based on money.

Let's do the math. At the time of me writing this, there are 29135 petition signatures, (http://www.petitiononline.com/g5d4iu5f/petition.html) and it looks like the petition is not working. It is reasonable to assume that LA is aware of the petition and are not making the PC version for reasons other than peer pressure. (Making a PC version: $some cost. Making a good PC version: $more. Thousands of signatures on a petition: $worthless.)

Now, suppose this was a boycott instead of the petition. That is, 29135 fans decided to stop buying future LA products until LA releases something great enough to appease them, notably TFU for PC. At the bare minimum, considering that each was only planning to buy one more game or month-subscription to SWG, at $15 each, the total revenue loss would be $437,025.00, close to half a million dollars. On a more reallistic estimate, assuming they would eventually buy on average 5 more newly-released games, at $50 each or a similar value in subscriptions or a combined value thereof, the revenue loss would approximate $7,283,750.00.

As you can imagine, such a kick in the wallet would probably get their attention.

Now, I have to agree that it's unreasonable to expect anyone to boycott a company that is expected to release great games, and I don't expect anyone to do so. Fortunately for us who do boycott, Lucas Arts seems to be going downhill anyway, so it's not like we're going to miss much. At the same time, if it does release that which appeases our boycott, we won't miss out either because our boycott would be appeased. We can see how LA was affected by this in the past. The exodus from SWG that resulted from the dreaded updates took its toll; the once-great MMO is now approaching termination.

Words are just words, and can be generated indefinitely by a monkey on a typewriter; but every wallet is a real wallet, and makes a real-world difference. I am a PC-gaming fan, but I have a Wii and a PS2. And a fat wallet, too, but it comes with a habit of buying things carefully. If I was to play TFU on either console, I still wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much as I would on my ubercomputermachine. Why would I pay for a game if I won't enjoy it? To me, the boycott is again the reasonable choice.

In conclusion, I'm boycotting for my own reason. I encourage everyone to boycott or not boycott for their own reasons.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]Boycotts, like petitions, do not work. Nikolai_siberia

On the contrary. Petitions don't work because they are based on words. Boycotts do work because they are based on money.

Let's do the math. At the time of me writing this, there are 29135 petition signatures, (http://www.petitiononline.com/g5d4iu5f/petition.html) and it looks like the petition is not working. It is reasonable to assume that LA is aware of the petition and are not making the PC version for reasons other than peer pressure. (Making a PC version: $some cost. Making a good PC version: $more. Thousands of signatures on a petition: $worthless.)

Now, suppose this was a boycott instead of the petition. That is, 29135 fans decided to stop buying future LA products until LA releases something great enough to appease them, notably TFU for PC. At the bare minimum, considering that each was only planning to buy one more game or month-subscription to SWG, at $15 each, the total revenue loss would be $437,025.00, close to half a million dollars. On a more reallistic estimate, assuming they would eventually buy on average 5 more newly-released games, at $50 each or a similar value in subscriptions or a combined value thereof, the revenue loss would approximate $7,283,750.00.

As you can imagine, such a kick in the wallet would probably get their attention.

Now, I have to agree that it's unreasonable to expect anyone to boycott a company that is expected to release great games, and I don't expect anyone to do so. Fortunately for us who do boycott, Lucas Arts seems to be going downhill anyway, so it's not like we're going to miss much. At the same time, if it does release that which appeases our boycott, we won't miss out either because our boycott would be appeased. We can see how LA was affected by this in the past. The exodus from SWG that resulted from the dreaded updates took its toll; the once-great MMO is now approaching termination.

Words are just words, and can be generated indefinitely by a monkey on a typewriter; but every wallet is a real wallet, and makes a real-world difference. I am a PC-gaming fan, but I have a Wii and a PS2. And a fat wallet, too, but it comes with a habit of buying things carefully. If I was to play TFU on either console, I still wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much as I would on my ubercomputermachine. Why would I pay for a game if I won't enjoy it? To me, the boycott is again the reasonable choice.

In conclusion, I'm boycotting for my own reason. I encourage everyone to boycott or not boycott for their own reasons.

It would seem to me that it would only prove LA's point. If their sales on the PC platform drop it simply shown them that they were right in moving away from the PC platform?

BTW some people here are posting the the KotR MMO will be a PC exclusive, is there anything substantial to that or is it just a rumor floating around?

OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 OgreB
Member since 2004 • 2523 Posts

Would I boycott Lucas Arts...???

Only if I got paid.