Would a pentium IIII bottleneck a 2600 Pro?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Diozakrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Diozakrod
Member since 2004 • 6585 Posts
So I'm gonna upgrade my brothers PC for his Birthday, nothing too spectacular, but good enough to run CoD4, and some other recent games, right now he has a Pentium IIII 3.0Ghz (Or 3.2, I can't remember) and a radeon 9600pro. So I decided to take up newegg's $70 radeon 2600 pro, according to the reviews it plays bioshock, and sometimes crysis. Anyways, I was wondering if his CPU would horribly bottleneck the GPU. Would it be able to play... Say, Bioshock at least?
TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 TrooperManaic
Member since 2004 • 3863 Posts
512mb + 128 bit DDr2= eXtreme bottleneck. I dont think it would be such a bottleneck for 256mb though I dont really mess with raedon 2k series.
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
It would be better but as long as you wont be having this as a long term thing or obviously expect to play newer games well. Also it is not IIII but either IV or 4 lol.
dudy80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dudy80
Member since 2004 • 1787 Posts

I dont know ati real well... But this card here has a 30$ mail in rebate and would be 64$ after it. i just ordered one and from what i hear there a beast for the price. I know it play bioshock on moddest to high settings anyways. As far as your bottleneck, i dont think it be anything to drastic. If he is willing to play at a lower resolution i think you would be fine. Thats just my opinion tho.

Heres the card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150229

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TrooperManaic

I dont know ati real well... But this card here has a 30$ mail in rebate and would be 64$ after it. i just ordered one and from what i hear there a beast for the price. I know it play bioshock on moddest to high settings anyways. As far as your bottleneck, i dont think it be anything to drastic. If he is willing to play at a lower resolution i think you would be fine. Thats just my opinion tho.

Heres the card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150229

dudy80
Personally if I didnt have alot of money I would buy that and I know alot about videocards. but I hate that 128 bit thing nvidia is notorious for that.
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kurushio
If you have a 9600pro though, wasnt that only AGP. I dont think they made a pci e 9600 so your options are far more limited and you may not actually be able to run bioshock. The best card for agp i think is the 7600 GS which is good enough for CoD 4 but really you may just want to try to save up for a whole new computer.
TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TrooperManaic
If you have a 9600pro though, wasnt that only AGP. I dont think they made a pci e 9600 so your options are far more limited and you may not actually be able to run bioshock. The best card for agp i think is the 7600 GS which is good enough for CoD 4 but really you may just want to try to save up for a whole new computer.Kurushio
the best is this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102730 but he wouldent spend that much for AGP. Should run bioshock though.
dudy80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dudy80

If you have a 9600pro though, wasnt that only AGP. I dont think they made a pci e 9600 so your options are far more limited and you may not actually be able to run bioshock. The best card for agp i think is the 7600 GS which is good enough for CoD 4 but really you may just want to try to save up for a whole new computer.Kurushio

Yea, never thought about that... if your stuck on agp the few decent cards out there are overpriced and not really worth it. I went though this today and ended up just buying a older 939 board and processor to get to pci express. It may not be the ideal thing to do but it will get be another 6 months until i build a new system. Can you possiple post a dxdiag file? That tell us whats in your system for sure.

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TrooperManaic

[QUOTE="Kurushio"]If you have a 9600pro though, wasnt that only AGP. I dont think they made a pci e 9600 so your options are far more limited and you may not actually be able to run bioshock. The best card for agp i think is the 7600 GS which is good enough for CoD 4 but really you may just want to try to save up for a whole new computer.dudy80

Yea, never thought about that... if your stuck on agp the few decent cards out there are overpriced and not really worth it. I went though this today and ended up just buying a older 939 board and processor to get to pci express. It may not be the ideal thing to do but it will get be another 6 months until i build a new system. Can you possiple post a dxdiag file? That tell us whats in your system for sure.

I believe the hd 3850 AGP is worth its price given it almost keeps up with the pci-e version and you dont have to do a system overhaul to play current games. BUT with great gain comes great loss.. its expensive as he11.
dudy80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dudy80
[QUOTE="dudy80"]

[QUOTE="Kurushio"]If you have a 9600pro though, wasnt that only AGP. I dont think they made a pci e 9600 so your options are far more limited and you may not actually be able to run bioshock. The best card for agp i think is the 7600 GS which is good enough for CoD 4 but really you may just want to try to save up for a whole new computer.TrooperManaic

I believe the hd 3850 AGP is worth its price given it almost keeps up with the pci-e version and you dont have to do a system overhaul to play current games. BUT with great gain comes great loss.. its expensive as he11.

Yea, that cards not too bad, but if what some of the reviews say the current drivers dont work and sapphire dont update them so it may be better to go with this one for the few extra bucks. Dont know how true it is about the drivers though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131090

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kurushio
My friend has the 76GS for AGP and is isnt too bad a card but the price is still really expensive compared to a pci e card that for the same money is far better. Still its a decent mid range for AGP and can run CoD 4 fine.
darkplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 darkplayer
Member since 2003 • 13318 Posts

That PC clearly has a Pentium 4. And the 9600 pro is a AGP card, so you clearly need a AGP card to replace it. You won't find anything cheap on newegg. The HD3850 AGP (Best AGP card ever made) costs $220 on newegg.

I would recommend ebay

Look for AGP nvidia 6800 GT/Ultra's for cheap or a AGP 7800 GS. Or for ATI an AGP X1950pro

Diozakrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Diozakrod
Member since 2004 • 6585 Posts

You're so right it's not even funny. No seriously, this isn't funny.

Anyways, it looks like my brother is getting a pretty much brand new computer now, the card is already on it's way and the thing had to be upgraded eventually.

_Bandie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 _Bandie_
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
The combination of Memory size and type, mainboard, CPU and GFX card makes the speed overall, so not easy to say if just the CPU slows something down.