Would a PCI express 3.0 card work in a PCI express 1.1 slot?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nedus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Nedus1
Member since 2004 • 519 Posts

If so

what would the bandwidth bottleneck be performance wise?

If it won't what is in your opinion the best pci express 2.0/2.1 card

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

yes a 3,0 will work with pci e 1.1, and no 1.1 at x16 will not bottleneck a pci-e 3.0 based gpu like a 7970 or GTX 680. Even with a GTX 580 MARS dual gpu, pci-e 2.0 at 4x(or pci-e 1.0 at 8x) only dropped fps by only few fps at best.

Nedus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nedus1

Cool, i'm looking at a HD 7850 so hopefully it will work, yayyyyy.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#4 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

Using a 7870 I've been having all sorts of issues with my PCI 2.0 mobo. I'm sure it has something to do with ATI's drivers and compatibility with older hardware (3 years). I don't have much confidence in them fixing it either.

Just be warned. You may run into problems (hard lock ups, bsod, and general instability).

I had no problems with my 4890 that ran like a dream. Now with the 7870--nothin but problems. Even with two replacement cards. Some others with x58's have been having issues too.

AMD's driver support is abysmal.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Using a 7870 I've been having all sorts of issues with my PCI 2.0 mobo. I'm sure it has something to do with ATI's drivers and compatibility with older hardware (3 years). I don't have much confidence in them fixing it either.

Just be warned. You may run into problems (hard lock ups, bsod, and general instability).

I had no problems with my 4890 that ran like a dream. Now with the 7870--nothin but problems. Even with two replacement cards. Some others with x58's have been having issues too.

Mr_Ditters

Sounds like your problem is your power source.

TC, all PCI-E 16x cards and slots are backwards compatible, that is why we made the move to PCI-E. I would be concerned about mismatching specs of such a powerful graphics card with a computer with a PCI-E spec from over half a decade ago.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mr_Ditters

[QUOTE="Mr_Ditters"]

GummiRaccoon

TC, all PCI-E 16x cards and slots are backwards compatible, that is why we made the move to PCI-E. I would be concerned about mismatching specs of such a powerful graphics card with a computer with a PCI-E spec from over half a decade ago.

The PSU is fine corsair 850W. No problems until installing the 7870. It also could be issues with using two displays hdmi and dvi. Others seem to have been resolving the problem by not using the HDMI port. But such workarounds are unacceptable.

One dude in AMD's forums claims it has to do with the GPU's power managment and that he can recreate bsod on x58 pcie 2.0 mobos and that editing the power management in the regestry solves the problem.

Others have been having success by disabling Flash hardware acceleration.Again unacceptable to have to beta test this stuff.

The hardware may be backwards compatible, but their drivers are such garbage that some builds run into problems.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="Mr_Ditters"]

Mr_Ditters

The PSU is fine corsair 850W. No problems until installing the 7870. It also could be issues with using two displays hdmi and dvi. Others seem to have been resolving the problem by not using the HDMI port. But such workarounds are unacceptable.

One dude in AMD's forums claims it has to do with the GPU's power managment and that he can recreate bsod on x58 pcie 2.0 mobos and that editing the power management in the regestry solves the problem.

Others have been having success by disabling Flash hardware acceleration.Again unacceptable to have to beta test this stuff.

The hardware may be backwards compatible, but their drivers are such garbage that some builds run into problems.

Its the not PCI-e slot causing the issue
Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mr_Ditters

[QUOTE="Mr_Ditters"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

04dcarraher

It might not be PCIe, but there are issues with older hardware and the new cards. TC should try to find someone online with the same build, using the card he wants and see if their builds are stable. At least same mobo and card.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="Mr_Ditters"]

Mr_Ditters

It might not be PCIe, but there are issues with older hardware and the new cards. TC should try to find someone online with the same build, using the card he wants and see if their builds are stable. At least same mobo and card.

Just because you got a broken link in your chain somewhere doesn't mean that he's going to have compatibility issues with PCI-E.

There is 1001 things that could be your issues, have you run memtest? How about chkdsk? Have you reinstalled windows?

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mr_Ditters

[QUOTE="Mr_Ditters"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] Its the not PCI-e slot causing the issueGummiRaccoon

Just because you got a broken link in your chain somewhere doesn't mean that he's going to have compatibility issues with PCI-E.

There is 1001 things that could be your issues, have you run memtest? How about chkdsk? Have you reinstalled windows?

Yes to all. I have tried nearly 1001 things. I am basing my opinion not on my own experience but upon reading what others are saying about CCC 12.4 in the AMD and Sapphire forums, with almost identical problems. Some german website said that disabling CCC and just running with the drivers alone ends the problems. Thats what I am currently testing. No issues after about 3 hours.

Strange thing is I can run the card with a heavy load for 3-4 hours. Then if I do simple webbrowsing, I get a BSOD referencing Atikmag.sys. But I can put in my older card (4890) and everything is fine.

In my experience when trouble shooting, find out what you changed when the problem started. It all started when I put in the 7870. A replacement 7870 does the same thing. So that leads me to think its a compatibility/driver issue.

Nedus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nedus1

Thanks for all your responses guys

Hmm it well its good that the card would work but looks like I might get a load of crap with it.

To people asking why i'm pairing up a powerful card with an old mobo:

If i were to get a new mobo, i'd need to get a new cpu aswell as i'm currently using a Q9450 and a 775 socket. New mobo would mean new cpu (I plan to do this but I prefer to buy parts a piece at a time and if i'll work in my current set up that's good until i make the upgrade)

Anyone here using a 7850 with a Gigabyte P35C-DS3R (revision 2.1) mobo? If so how have you found it? Or have you used any other high tier cards successfully?

If the problem is with ATI or that family, does anyone know of any other good cards I could use?

I looked at the Nvidia 560 ti as its only pci-e 2.0 but the 7850 kills it in some benchmarks and that puts me off....Hmmmm

Thoughts?

Nedus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nedus1

Oh heres my setup (For comparisons/insight etc)

CPU: Q9450 2.6 ghz stock (with added radiator and two 120mm fans for extra cooling)

Mobo: GA P35C-DS3R (Revision 2.1)

Ram: 4gb DDR2 800mhz (Soon to be 8gb DDR3 1600mhz as placing order tomoz)

GPU: HD4870 512mb <------- Want to upgrade this bad boy

PSU: 650 watt

My CPU is still at stock as i'm not massively familar with OCing and don't want to choose the wrong voltage or FSB etc. I tried it awhile ago and my temps went v. high so i'm nervous to retry....

Thanks

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

Thanks for all your responses guys

Hmm it well its good that the card would work but looks like I might get a load of crap with it.

To people asking why i'm pairing up a powerful card with an old mobo:

If i were to get a new mobo, i'd need to get a new cpu aswell as i'm currently using a Q9450 and a 775 socket. New mobo would mean new cpu (I plan to do this but I prefer to buy parts a piece at a time and if i'll work in my current set up that's good until i make the upgrade)

Anyone here using a 7850 with a Gigabyte P35C-DS3R (revision 2.1) mobo? If so how have you found it? Or have you used any other high tier cards successfully?

If the problem is with ATI or that family, does anyone know of any other good cards I could use?

I looked at the Nvidia 560 ti as its only pci-e 2.0 but the 7850 kills it in some benchmarks and that puts me off....Hmmmm

Thoughts?

Nedus1

Get a heavily factory overclocked 560 Ti and it will be as fast or faster than the 7850 in most games.

Nedus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nedus1

Hmm I'll have a look, I like ATi's cards but frankly their driver support is similar to downloading a bag full of excrement. A small factor that played in me wanting an upgrade was that they are cancelling support for my card in july. Maybe it's time for Nvidia....

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="Mr_Ditters"]

Mr_Ditters

Yes to all. I have tried nearly 1001 things. I am basing my opinion not on my own experience but upon reading what others are saying about CCC 12.4 in the AMD and Sapphire forums, with almost identical problems. Some german website said that disabling CCC and just running with the drivers alone ends the problems. Thats what I am currently testing. No issues after about 3 hours.

Strange thing is I can run the card with a heavy load for 3-4 hours. Then if I do simple webbrowsing, I get a BSOD referencing Atikmag.sys. But I can put in my older card (4890) and everything is fine.

In my experience when trouble shooting, find out what you changed when the problem started. It all started when I put in the 7870. A replacement 7870 does the same thing. So that leads me to think its a compatibility/driver issue.

Correlation != Causation

Nedus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nedus1

Anyone using a 560ti 448 core with a PCI E 1.0 slot? Opinions?

Thanks

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mr_Ditters

Hmm I'll have a look, I like ATi's cards but frankly their driver support is similar to downloading a bag full of excrement. A small factor that played in me wanting an upgrade was that they are cancelling support for my card in july. Maybe it's time for Nvidia....

Nedus1

Well I for one wished I had gone with Nvidia this time even though a comparable card would be about $80-100 more. My 4890 was amazing no major problems just some annoyances with CCC. You might want to wait a month or two and see if they work out the kinks with these new cards. Some guys got an unofficial release of the next beta drivers and are saying they are stable. That might be what I'll try next if my current attempt at troubleshooting doesnt work (going on about 7 hours stable atm with my fingers crossed).

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Thanks

Nedus1
i dont think pci express is totally backwards compatible i think 1.0 doesn't play too nice with new gpus, could be wrong. It wud prolly work tho
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 04dcarraher
[QUOTE="Nedus1"]

Thanks

JigglyWiggly_
i dont think pci express is totally backwards compatible i think 1.0 doesn't play too nice with new gpus, could be wrong. It wud prolly work tho

1.1 or newer = no issues, 1.0 it should work , all depends on the motherboard chipset.