World of Warcraft- still users?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

0diN_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 0diN_7
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

I just recently got in to pc gaming and I thought about buying WOW today but bought DAO instead since I can't finish it on my dead PS3. I am giving it serious consideration though but I am just wondering if it is still going strong. Thanks guys.

AfroPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 AfroPirate
Member since 2008 • 675 Posts

lol yea it is and a new expansion is coming out.

its still sporting like 4mil players.

Wardemon50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Wardemon50
Member since 2005 • 1637 Posts
haha yeah.
Drazule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Drazule
Member since 2007 • 8693 Posts

Well they boast an 11 million player base so.....

Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

Did they sort the Chinese server incident out? Because that accounted for five or six million players there.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

Not so long ago (this year) they said 11.5m subs...

So no you wont be alone :P

Anthony01355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Anthony01355
Member since 2006 • 1486 Posts

You should do something productive with your life like join the Army, or play Call of Duty. Or both.

Anthony01355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Anthony01355
Member since 2006 • 1486 Posts

Wait no don't join the Army, they're playing that cursed game WoW now.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

Wait no don't join the Army, they're playing that cursed game WoW now.

Anthony01355

wth are you on about lol? More people play wow that anything else.

wigan_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wigan_gamer
Member since 2008 • 3293 Posts
If you are just getting into your first MMO it is an easy place to start.... However I would strongly recommend something better like EvE online.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TerrorRizzing
[QUOTE="wigan_gamer"]If you are just getting into your first MMO it is an easy place to start.... However I would strongly recommend something better like EvE online.

bad recomendation to someone who doesnt know that people still play wow.
wigan_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wigan_gamer
Member since 2008 • 3293 Posts
[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"][QUOTE="wigan_gamer"]If you are just getting into your first MMO it is an easy place to start.... However I would strongly recommend something better like EvE online.

Haha I know but maybe if he starts with his first MMO as eve, he will accept it isn't that difficult compared to other MMO's, and just get on with it. Or maybe he will become impatient. But still I can't recommend anybody to any MMO other than EvE as it is truly the best out there at the moment. Maybe I should have suggested guild wars instead though, that is better than WoW IMO.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TerrorRizzing
[QUOTE="wigan_gamer"][QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"][QUOTE="wigan_gamer"]If you are just getting into your first MMO it is an easy place to start.... However I would strongly recommend something better like EvE online.

Haha I know but maybe if he starts with his first MMO as eve, he will accept it isn't that difficult compared to other MMO's, and just get on with it. Or maybe he will become impatient. But still I can't recommend anybody to any MMO other than EvE as it is truly the best out there at the moment. Maybe I should have suggested guild wars instead though, that is better than WoW IMO.

ya I love guild wars, its more friendly to people who just dont have the time.
Buttons1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Buttons1990
Member since 2009 • 3167 Posts

KalDurenik

That's what people told me 7 months ago when I made a similar thread here... And they were WRONG... You will be alone most of the way leveling unless you join a new player server...

I joined a "normal" server with a "high" population... And after the opening areas at about level 15ish it has been a ghost town throughout... I rarely see other players and when I do, they just ignore me... Everyone is either on a new character, or level 80... Not many in between... I have completed virtually no group quest since there is literally never anyone to do any with... And as a DPS to get into the dungeon que, it takes about 50 minutes (that will be a lot shorter if you are a healer or tank)...

Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts

[QUOTE="KalDurenik"]

Buttons1990

That's what people told me 7 months ago when I made a similar thread here... And they were WRONG... You will be alone most of the way leveling unless you join a new player server...

I joined a "normal" server with a "high" population... And after the opening areas at about level 15ish it has been a ghost town throughout... I rarely see other players and when I do, they just ignore me... Everyone is either on a new character, or level 80... Not many in between... I have completed virtually no group quest since there is literally never anyone to do any with... And as a DPS to get into the dungeon que, it takes about 50 minutes (that will be a lot shorter if you are a healer or tank)...

Takes me max 20 mins to que, there are hundreds of players everywhere (Especially in Northrend) you are right about group quests, nobody wants to do them because most are soloable.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"][QUOTE="wigan_gamer"]If you are just getting into your first MMO it is an easy place to start.... However I would strongly recommend something better like EvE online. wigan_gamer

Well, if you start out with something like World of Warcraft, your view of MMOs is something akin to "This is easy!". Then they get to EVE Online and they cry for mercy. But they're in space, so no one hears them. ;)

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

IS this a serious question?

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

[QUOTE="Buttons1990"]

[QUOTE="KalDurenik"]

Im_single

Takes me max 20 mins to que, there are hundreds of players everywhere (Especially in Northrend) you are right about group quests, nobody wants to do them because most are soloable.

Also early on few want to group becouse, simply the game discourages it. WoW is a game about leveling,not about lore or pvp its about leveling. So the problem with grouping is that it cuts your xp in half...that is not excatly incentive to run around in a group. Now AoC that encourages grouping by making the bosses and elites in group quests insane damage sponges.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
every server has at least a thousand or two players. you wont be alone at all. sometimes, you might actually try to find a place to get away from all of the people if you find yourself on a more populated server.
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KalDurenik

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofwarcraft/news.html?sid=6267563&om_act=convert&om_clk=gsupdates&tag=updates%3Btitle%3B3

(11.5m ACTIVE subs)

There are still people on lower levels however you need to remember that ALOT of people only play on their mains. And if they do make a alt they do it to speed level it.

However IF you want to play and start a new... I suggest you wait to cata (the new expansions). It will remake the zones and there for i think there will be alot of new alts running around.

ekultus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ekultus
Member since 2010 • 1013 Posts

You should do something productive with your life like join the Army, or play Call of Duty. Or both.

Anthony01355
I think his IQ might be above 50 so the military is definitely out of the question. I mean who wants to fight wars for multinational banking cartels? If you think people want to kill you cause of your so-called freedom then you have problems. Go back to TV there is nothing to see here, plenty of shows to watch and shopping to do. All is well.
xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Even with so many subscriptions a lot of the places are dead. I am playing on a high populated server and finding persons to do group quests with is really tricky. Most zones are completely dead, from 1-80. Zones that aren't completely dead are Stranglethorn Vale, Hellfire Peninsula, Borea Tundra, Dragonblight. The 70+ zones are obviously more populated but most of them still feel dead. If you want to do lots of instances don't even think about signing up as DPS only etc... Once you get to 80 it will a bit more alive though.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KalDurenik

Even with so many subscriptions a lot of the places are dead. I am playing on a high populated server and finding persons to do group quests with is really tricky. Most zones are completely dead, from 1-80. Zones that aren't completely dead are Stranglethorn Vale, Hellfire Peninsula, Borea Tundra, Dragonblight. The 70+ zones are obviously more populated but most of them still feel dead. If you want to do lots of instances don't even think about signing up as DPS only etc... Once you get to 80 it will a bit more alive though.

xWoW_Rougex

You wont find groups because you dont need a group to do most of the quests. Also you can find instance groups with the dungeon finding tool. And no you dont need a tank. You only need a dps with a weapon / shield and a dps throwing heals :P

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

[QUOTE="xWoW_Rougex"]

KalDurenik

You wont find groups because you dont need a group to do most of the quests. Also you can find instance groups with the dungeon finding tool. And no you dont need a tank. You only need a dps with a weapon / shield and a dps throwing heals :P

Actually the reason for not finding groups is because there are so few people. For example there are lots of non soloable group quests in Nagrand and very few people there. When I was there a week ago the amount of players in the zone was like 7 at most.

grafficsak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 grafficsak
Member since 2009 • 304 Posts

I quit WoW over a year ago, then I joined the Navy, only to find that alot of sailors are playing WoW....

Don't get hooked, find yourself a different game and live a normal life imo :)

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

After reading the recent Ghostcrawler statements about mount and achievement rewards WoW can potentially be a vurnerable mmorpg if these changes go through for Cataclysm:

"This is all tentative and could change, but we don't really have a problem with protodrake farming. What we will probably do with really unusual mounts like Mimiron's Head and Invincible is make them a rare drop. The 100% drop rate won't make sense when you can overpower the content.

If you want to overpower the content for a drake though, go for it. Players who did it "legit" had the benefit of having the achievement and mount earlier than anyone else. The most prestigious mounts will change in Cataclysm."

"In general, we are going to go bend over backwards to not remove existing achievements."

Essentially, raiding and achievement rewards will be meaningless to do throughout an existent expansion/current patch with the proposed level of difficulty (time and effort). Thinking logically, the smart players will wait until the next level of tiers or an expansion to capitalize on the rewards while still experiencing the lore. While this intended change is fantastic for generally the playerbase, still, for me personally, if I'm paying consisently monthly payments then I'm just going to have to outhink the developers to be efficient with my time and money elsewhere.

I believe these changes are synthetically a poor settlement for the players who goes out to earn their rewards, personally.

Cloud567kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Cloud567kar
Member since 2007 • 2656 Posts

Lol... Are you joking? Theres still 12 million people subbed.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58500 Posts

WoW is great, it is imo the best MMO for countless reasons:

1. Casual friendly
2. Cool universe and lore
3. Excellent and large community
4. Neat art design
5. Awesome PvE
6. Above-average PvP
7. Constantly updated
8. and much, much more

But honestly I'd wait until Cataclysm (the expansion) comes out. As of right now, everyone is too busy with their higher level characters and therefore it would be quite boring for a low level player.

When Cataclysm comes out, it will give everyone incentive to make new characters. I cannot wait for it!

grafficsak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 grafficsak

1. Casual friendly
4. Neat art design
5. Awesome PvE
6. Above-average PvP
7. Constantly updated
8. and much, much more

But honestly I'd wait until Cataclysm (the expansion) comes out. As of right now, everyone is too busy with their higher level characters and therefore it would be quite boring for a low level player.

When Cataclysm comes out, it will give everyone incentive to make new characters. I cannot wait for it!

mrbojangles25

I don't kno why you'd say "Above-Average PvP". WoW's PVP mechanics are unrivaled. There is not one MMORPG that can successfully outwit and outplay WoW's PvP system, it was nearly flawless if you ever we're into hardcore endgame Arenas or oldschool Openworld PvP. The PvP in WoW always tempts me to want to go back, but I caaaaaant..... :(

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

1. Casual friendly
4. Neat art design
5. Awesome PvE
6. Above-average PvP
7. Constantly updated
8. and much, much more

mrbojangles25

Agreed. Blizzard recently shared the new clas$ and Mastery System by the way. The immediate impression I got from it was leveling is going to be far more entertaining in how talents are acquired to play as the intended tree at the lower levels. It admixes effectively with the approach of Cataclysm revamping the vanilla leveling zones leading players into the current relevant content.

My concern though of the side effect of this new system is less variation at the level cap compared to WoW currently. The new system probably won't be damaging for PvE raiding or Arena PvP, but for Battleground PvP or World PvP it would render both to be less interesting. Players will all be cookie cuttered build to maximize, while other players who has any desire to opt different builds in both settings would be forcefully incapable to execute. The different dyanmics was a great factor for making them refreshing and fun to participate. Moving to a more predetermine experience is not exciting at all.

Mythomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mythomniac
Member since 2009 • 1695 Posts
Yea, with almost 12 million players, it is definately still populaed.
Avatar image for Roland123_basic
Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Roland123_basic
Member since 2002 • 3841 Posts
nobody play WOW anymore. at all. please stay away.
Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Roland123_basic

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

1. Casual friendly
4. Neat art design
5. Awesome PvE
6. Above-average PvP
7. Constantly updated
8. and much, much more

grafficsak

I don't kno why you'd say "Above-Average PvP". WoW's PVP mechanics are unrivaled. There is not one MMORPG that can successfully outwit and outplay WoW's PvP system, it was nearly flawless if you ever we're into hardcore endgame Arenas or oldschool Openworld PvP. The PvP in WoW always tempts me to want to go back, but I caaaaaant..... :(

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?!?!? WOW PVP is widely considered to be the WORST pvp to ever exist in an MMO..... please tell me you are being sarcastic.

FadeToBlack90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FadeToBlack90
Member since 2008 • 498 Posts

[QUOTE="grafficsak"]

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

1. Casual friendly
4. Neat art design
5. Awesome PvE
6. Above-average PvP
7. Constantly updated
8. and much, much more

Roland123_basic

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?!?!? WOW PVP is widely considered to be the WORST pvp to ever exist in an MMO..... please tell me you are being sarcastic.

Worst pvp ever...man your facts are so indisputable...oh wait, no your opinion, because to be honest your the first person I have ever heard say its the worst pvp ever. I've heard people say they like others better, but not the worst. As a matter of fact, I have a couple of friends who play strictly for the pvp. I really enjoyed it when I played.

Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Roland123_basic

[QUOTE="Roland123_basic"]

[QUOTE="grafficsak"] I don't kno why you'd say "Above-Average PvP". WoW's PVP mechanics are unrivaled. There is not one MMORPG that can successfully outwit and outplay WoW's PvP system, it was nearly flawless if you ever we're into hardcore endgame Arenas or oldschool Openworld PvP. The PvP in WoW always tempts me to want to go back, but I caaaaaant..... :(

FadeToBlack90

Worst pvp ever...man your facts are so indisputable...oh wait, no your opinion, because to be honest your the first person I have ever heard say its the worst pvp ever. I've heard people say they like others better, but not the worst. As a matter of fact, I have a couple of friends who play strictly for the pvp. I really enjoyed it when I played.

ha... then those friends of yours have never played an MMO build strictly around PVP. WOWs pvp is an absolute joke, and i KNOW you are lying that im the first you have heard bash on WOWs pvp..... go to any gaming forum.... any at all, and ask. the overwhelming majority of players will tell you that WOWs pvp is about the worst in the industry.
Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

1. Casual friendly
4. Neat art design
5. Awesome PvE
6. Above-average PvP
7. Constantly updated
8. and much, much more

grafficsak

Best pvp? Don't make me laugh. DaoC pvp was much more fun / hardcore and in all ways better. And please don't reply with a "what do you know" post. I was one of the first Grand Marshals on Us servers. I pvp'd back when the PVP was actually DESCENT in WoW until it got destroyed by **** battlegrounds and the "arena" system witch was boring and easy as hell.

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 StopThePresses
Member since 2010 • 2767 Posts

"Users" is such a fitting term for WoW players. :lol:

(I half expected that to be the meaning of the title.)

SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SLUSHiNaToR
Member since 2009 • 1366 Posts
[QUOTE="FadeToBlack90"]

[QUOTE="Roland123_basic"] WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?!?!? WOW PVP is widely considered to be the WORST pvp to ever exist in an MMO..... please tell me you are being sarcastic.

Roland123_basic

ha... then those friends of yours have never played an MMO build strictly around PVP. WOWs pvp is an absolute joke, and i KNOW you are lying that im the first you have heard bash on WOWs pvp..... go to any gaming forum.... any at all, and ask. the overwhelming majority of players will tell you that WOWs pvp is about the worst in the industry.

Its his opinion that wow has the best pvp so stfu and stop blowing up in his face over his opinion.. who cares if people on other forums think its bad too.. Im sure there are tons of forums that say its really good as well. If it does have the worst, then why are so many people pvping in it? Anyway, Id say if you do start playing wow, wait till cataclysm hits. Just because they are changing pretty much the whole game. Its going to be confusing having to relearn everything.
Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
Go ahead. I'm still playing it and I can say there are still a lot of players.
sillaris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 sillaris
Member since 2008 • 1083 Posts

Anthony01355
if you want to die for oil i guess lol @ productive
grafficsak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 grafficsak

WoW PvP in the old days was really fun to be honest. Then Arena's came, and PvP became a second job. I spent almost every night doing Arena's because it was just too much fun, even if it did feel like a grind. There IS NO other MMORPG out there with balanced PvP that requires skill and tactics.

Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Roland123_basic

WoW PvP in the old days was really fun to be honest. Then Arena's came, and PvP became a second job. I spent almost every night doing Arena's because it was just too much fun, even if it did feel like a grind. There IS NO other MMORPG out there with balanced PvP that requires skill and tactics.

grafficsak
wow.... there is just too much fanboy in this guy. Dark Age of Camelot puts WOWs pvp to ultimate shame. there is NO skill and tactics involved in WOW pvp at all, it is simply who has the best resilience and can faceroll their skills. DAOC actually requires skill to be sucessful. try actually playing other MMOs before you go around saying WOW is the best game ever.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="grafficsak"]

Roland123_basic

wow.... there is just too much fanboy in this guy. Dark Age of Camelot puts WOWs pvp to ultimate shame. there is NO skill and tactics involved in WOW pvp at all, it is simply who has the best resilience and can faceroll their skills. DAOC actually requires skill to be sucessful. try actually playing other MMOs before you go around saying WOW is the best game ever.

I acknowledge WoW doesnt have the best PvP mechanics, but frankly for a game that is PvE-centric, the PvP of WoW is solid. Amazing? Innovative?No, not really, but its a lot of fun, cool, and works wel enough to provide a distraction if you just do not feel like questing or going into a dungeon.

Frankly, I never really understood the appeal of PvP in MMOs; to me theyre about cooperating with your fellow player and killing enemies and collecting loot and developing as a character.

Empirefrtw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Empirefrtw
Member since 2006 • 1324 Posts

Exactly cooperative with your fellow faction to kill the other faction or pvp.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mrbojangles25

Exactly cooperative with your fellow faction to kill the other faction or pvp.

Empirefrtw

lol ok, I guess the millions of scourge and other enemies, dozens of instanced dungeons and raids, and expansive and interesting environments are just filler for the battlegrounds.

Empirefrtw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Empirefrtw
Member since 2006 • 1324 Posts

Well I never said that pvp was the whole point of the game.

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 StopThePresses
Member since 2010 • 2767 Posts

lol ok, I guess the millions of scourge and other enemies, dozens of instanced dungeons and raids, and expansive and interesting environments are just filler for the battlegrounds.

mrbojangles25
They are. Sure, the battlegrounds weren't even in the game when it was released, but how is that relevant? :P
Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Roland123_basic

[QUOTE="Roland123_basic"][QUOTE="grafficsak"]

mrbojangles25

I acknowledge WoW doesnt have the best PvP mechanics, but frankly for a game that is PvE-centric, the PvP of WoW is solid. Amazing? Innovative?No, not really, but its a lot of fun, cool, and works wel enough to provide a distraction if you just do not feel like questing or going into a dungeon.

Frankly, I never really understood the appeal of PvP in MMOs; to me theyre about cooperating with your fellow player and killing enemies and collecting loot and developing as a character.

i dont see how getting roflstomped by someone that has ground out the best resilience gear in the game and thus doesnt even have to do much to kill and survive in PVP is fun or cool.... most pvp focused MMOs place emphasis on gear second, and player skill first.... WOW is COMPLETELY the opposite.