woke up this morning and my steam account was compromised

This topic is locked from further discussion.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

by someone in china?!?!?! wtf how does this happen. i dont have any spyware or any crap on my computer. how the hell does someone from china get my account info. i was not phished or anything im not a noob to the web.

so how the heck does this crap happen and why didnt steam guard save me from this happening?

so wtf do i do? no support number to call thru steam??!?!?!

i wish we could go back to old reliable CDS instead of this DRM CRAP!!!!

So mad all my money wasted and stolen

steam saying it sent a conformation email to MY EXACT EMAIL to change password but I NEVER GET ONE!!!!

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

You could take it up with your bank if your card was stolen or get to steam through here.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Sorry to hear that man.... It really sucks when this stuff happens I haven't had the issue with Steam, but WoW on many occasions.

The only thing I can think of is submit a ticket.

https://support.steampowered.com/newticket.php

Also if your card was attached to that account I would put a hold on that as soon as possible.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 _SKatEDiRt_

how does this happen? the only thing i can think of is a keylogger. how the

and why isnt steam sending me a reset email? could it have been rerouted?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Sorry to hear that bro, I've had some attempts to my Facebook account and my gmail/youtube/chrome as well.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Arthas045

Yeah Steam should send you an email for the verification code for someone else to log in. Unless your email was hacked as well.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 _SKatEDiRt_

@Arthas045 said:

Yeah Steam should send you an email for the verification code for someone else to log in. Unless your email was hacked as well.

my email might have been hacked idk how to tell but i am not recieveing any conformation codes even though steam saying it send it to my email which they have the right address

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Arthas045

@PredatorRules said:

Sorry to hear that bro, I've had some attempts to my Facebook account and my gmail/youtube/chrome as well.

That guy never gets old to laugh at.... When I seen him I think it was on South Park I didn't think it was serious at first.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#9 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

Very politically incorrect.....but oh so true lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@vfibsux said:

@PredatorRules said:

Very politically incorrect.....but oh so true lol.

Mmm...

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I once had an adware toolbar(magically installed itself without my consent) that hijacked my browser and stole my hotmail account and rekt a site I was an admin on and stole like $50. Funny thing, my Gmail was never compromised, nor was my paypal account.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

@Arthas045 said:

my email might have been hacked idk how to tell but i am not recieveing any conformation codes even though steam saying it send it to my email which they have the right address

If you have gmail you can check which IP addresses have accessed your account. Bottom right of the inbox. Change all your important passwords asap.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Hm. Interesting. I was playing CSGO last night, and it was lagging like crazy, for everyone, not just for me, and people were talking about Steam/Valve getting attacked by hackers lately. Probably has something to do with it. I'm safe so far, but I'm taking precautions. Changed my password to something completely random and ridiculous and removed my saved credit card info.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Use/make another email address and make steam send reset stuff to that one?

A year or so ago someone in china made a paypal account using my email address. They hadn't hacked me or got my password or anything, they just made an account with my address and the details went to me. I told paypal and they stopped it but now I can't make a paypal account with that email address.

Steamguard wouldn't be any help in your case because they have access to your email address.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 _SKatEDiRt_

Steam deleted my TICKET and just sent me a email confirmation. never responded at all

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

SKatEdiRt, hope you can get your account back.

To everyone else - make sure you have different passwords for your e-mail and Steam!

Tyson8earzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Tyson8earzz
Member since 2004 • 885 Posts

First thing to do if Steam or bank or anything regarding that deals with monetary transactions, is to call your bank and have them either close it or decline the purchases. Dont know why Steam is not being more helpful in this process of recovery. Sorry to hear that

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 _SKatEDiRt_

@Cwagmire21 said:

To everyone else - make sure you have different passwords for your e-mail and Steam!

I do have my account back now as i see nothing was done to it but who knows what info they got from me or how in the heck they got it!!!!

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

@Cwagmire21 said:

I do have my account back now as i see nothing was done to it but who knows what info they got from me or how in the heck they got it!!!!

Well, I'd do a full system scan of your PC and I'd change your passwords (may want do via different PC if there is some keylogger or something that the scans don't get for whatever reason.

May want to entertain the idea of a system wipe.

Obviously, monitor your bank, credit card, or any other financial statements and report any weird looking info immediately so bank doesn't try to pull a fast one.

Good luck! Glad you got your account back at least :)

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 _SKatEDiRt_

@Cwagmire21 said:

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

@Cwagmire21 said:

Well, I'd do a full system scan of your PC and I'd change your passwords (may want do via different PC if there is some keylogger or something that the scans don't get for whatever reason.

May want to entertain the idea of a system wipe.

Obviously, monitor your bank, credit card, or any other financial statements and report any weird looking info immediately so bank doesn't try to pull a fast one.

Good luck! Glad you got your account back at least :)

thank you very much i will be taking your advice.

Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Travis_Odell
Member since 2008 • 1775 Posts

Yeah you looked at something and got spyware installed let it key-log you and here you are.... You probably got done beating off and by the time you got done he already had your account in hand, laughing as he hacked your built in laptops webcam.