Witcher 3 to be open world RPG

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dracolich55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 dracolich55
Member since 2010 • 2343 Posts
[QUOTE="dracolich55"][QUOTE="mitu123"] 30+ hours is short?guynamedbilly
I takes me about 30 hours for me to beat the game, finish most sidequests except maybe 1 or 2, acquire the best armour (Vran) and best swords (the silver sword that starts will a Z and Camella). Compare that to The Witcher 1 in which it took me 54 hours to beat, and I think I missed more sidequests than in The Witcher 1.

The first had way more "fetch" quests and time sinks though. I'd much rather have quality than quantity.

Half the side quests in each act in the Witcher 2 consisted of a quest for the boardgames, a quest for arm wrestling and a couple contracts. And then their were like only 2-5 actual side "quests" depending on the act.
SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 SystemsGO
Member since 2011 • 1285 Posts

CD Project RED has released Cyberpunk 2077 teaser. As probably most people arleady know there is a hidden message in it. The relevant fragment:

[quote="gamespot"] "We are about to reveal our other project which is much closer to being completed and yes, it will also be a fully open-world game with an intense story. You can probably guess the game we're talking about. On the 5th of February it will all be clear." innominatus2

I must say i am really disapointed. I always prefered story centered RPG over open world ones. Must every RPG be the same? I really like the fact Skyrim and Witcher go different paths, and i admittedly prefer the twisted and extremly branching storyline of W2. This is the approach i like, and whats more, i like the have the choice what kind of RPG i play. I like endless debates on forums which approach (linear story or open world) is better and makes "truer" RPG.

The experience shows, that open world cames at a price of the depth of the presented world and the story. Simply, it is neccesary to create a lot of content, that is essentially irrelevant to the plot, driving away time and resources from main story.

In the end i feels like CD ProjectRED is a greedy corporation just like everybody else. Skyrim outselled Witcher 2, we make a game like Skyrim. As if Witcher 2 was an inferior game. It definetaly isn't, it is merely different. I could understand people behind Dragon Age 2 following Skyrim example, as Dragon Age 2 was generally a disapointment, But W2 was triple A game, that won a lot of praise ( and money), and on few sites IRC it even won best RPG awards over Skyrim.

[/QUOTE

I don't think that because it's open world you should condemn the game, and be disappointed already. No one specifically even hinted at there being no story. Besides, while the game may have been heavily story driven, it's no where near the best I've seen(The Witcher 2), and I'm willing to bet something identical can be implemented into a fully open world game. To me, this is exciting. It will no longer be the same boring game, with boundaries. Now, it's all at your fingertips where you want to go, and what you want to do exactly.

Guess this means I need to finish Witcher 2 at some point. I never got around to doing that, unfortunately I'll have to start from the very beginning now as I've tinkered with different OS's, hard drives, etc. Either way, I'm excited and hope to see what this holds for the franchise in general.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#53 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Yes, as long as they don't f*ck it up and try to make it like a Bethesda game. Luckily they would REALLY have to f*ck it up to do that much damage.

ChubbyGuy40
This lol. As long as CDPR stays true to themselves. I love their games. The Witcher series is totally unique compared to many games that are out and I can't wait to return to The Witcher Universe. It's one of those games that I can't seem to put it down when I start playing.
Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#54 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
Witcher 2 was probably my game of the year, and one of my favorite games of all time. They can do whatever they want with the game just keep it with the Witcher lore, and make it fun, with a great story and im in.
Nighteg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#55 Nighteg
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts
[QUOTE="Nighteg"]I just hope it won't be as short as W2.mitu123
30+ hours is short?

Compared to W1 or DA? Yes, it's short.
Moloch121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Moloch121
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"][QUOTE="Nighteg"] 30+ hours is short?dracolich55
I takes me about 30 hours for me to beat the game, finish most sidequests except maybe 1 or 2, acquire the best armour (Vran) and best swords (the silver sword that starts will a Z and Camella). Compare that to The Witcher 1 in which it took me 54 hours to beat, and I think I missed more sidequests than in The Witcher 1.

Witcher 1 also has a bunch of sidequests that are nothing more than fetch quests. Witcher 2 doesn't have any except the feather quest. I'd much rather have 30+ hours in a much more detailed game with better written sidequests than a bunch of extra crap thrown in.

[QUOTE="innominatus2"]

CD Project RED has released Cyberpunk 2077 teaser. As probably most people arleady know there is a hidden message in it. The relevant fragment:

[quote="gamespot"] "We are about to reveal our other project which is much closer to being completed and yes, it will also be a fully open-world game with an intense story. You can probably guess the game we're talking about. On the 5th of February it will all be clear." SystemsGO

I must say i am really disapointed. I always prefered story centered RPG over open world ones. Must every RPG be the same? I really like the fact Skyrim and Witcher go different paths

I swear its like games like Wasteland, Morrowind, Fallout 1,2 and New Vegas never existed. Story does exist in sandbox/open world games its just told differently. Why does any game going open world automatically mean it has to be as dumb and casual as Skyrim?

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

I don't see why having an open world should detract from the potential of a good story, just means you need to fill the world with side quests along with the main story. Open world could mean anything too: Rage and Borderlands were kind of advertised as open worlds but they lack that feeling of freedom because of the way they're structured and might as well be linear for all I care - not that it deters from the quality of those games.

Will47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 Will47
Member since 2007 • 6824 Posts
I see to many people worrying about it becoming Skyrim. I think after two Witcher games, both with top level story telling, people would put a little more trust in them and not lose faith at the mere mention of "open world". Open world in and of itself doesn't tell us much of anything, let alone mean its a Skyrim clone.
innominatus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 innominatus2
Member since 2011 • 52 Posts

fas

[QUOTE="SystemsGO"]

[QUOTE="innominatus2"]

[quote="gamespot"] "We are about to reveal our other project which is much closer to being completed and yes, it will also be a fully open-world game with an intense story. You can probably guess the game we're talking about. On the 5th of February it will all be clear." Moloch121

I must say i am really disapointed. I always prefered story centered RPG over open world ones. Must every RPG be the same? I really like the fact Skyrim and Witcher go different paths

I swear its like games like Wasteland, Morrowind, Fallout 1,2 and New Vegas never existed. Story does exist in sandbox/open world games its just told differently. Why does any game going open world automatically mean it has to be as dumb and casual as Skyrim?

The problem is, that freedom, and a very good story are mutually exlusive. As an pen&paper Game Master i can assure you of that. You best, meticolously planned and polidhed for hours scenario will be ruined, if your players decide to join a ship crew and sail away. Sure this kind of freedom is cool from time to time, but everybody involved should expect that.

How do you imagine Witcher 2 story to look like if a player decided, That rather than going to Aedirn ( 2 act) after Triss and the Kingslayer, it would be much coolerto check out how your fellow witchers are faring in Kaer Morhen, or just pay a visit to the northernmost kingdom of Kovir. It would destroy whole story, for, wars, political events, etc. can't wait in real world. It would make the story unbelivable. Or the game would need a story, that can wait for the player to finaly get to round to it. Or the story, that specifically involves exploration. ( you play an explorer ). This inevitably makes the game much less story driven.

As a GM i know that really good stories need to be planned. In them you must leave as little of actual freedom, while carefully mantaining illusion of it. One of methods of doing so is by preparing many branches of the scenario. I don't want wicher to give up this filosofy.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
Skyrim isn't the only open world game out there. So I don't know where this disappointment comes from. Gamers and their melodramatic reactions. lol.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#61 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

Yes, as long as they don't f*ck it up and try to make it like a Bethesda game. Luckily they would REALLY have to f*ck it up to do that much damage.

ChubbyGuy40
Correct, as long as the game is nothing like a Bethesda game we should be good and I don't see CD Project ******* up as badly as Bethesda does.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Skyrim isn't the only open world game out there. So I don't know where this disappointment comes from. Gamers and their melodramatic reactions. lol.mirgamer

Because plenty of those open world games suffer from the same flaws. One of my biggest gripes are repeatitive quests like what FC3/Skyrim have where they just tell you to go kill this random faction dude. Also quests serving very little story purpose or being very poorly written/thought out. I don't mind playing the UPS man or mindless assassin every once in a while, but at least make it interesting or give me some kind of purpose behind doing it.

Assimilat0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#63 Assimilat0r
Member since 2011 • 767 Posts

Witcher 3 will have option to chose over Dinastys so you will have to fight for 1 kingdom and duke over another Dukes and oncomming treath from dark legions from south.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#64 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
My days of playing RPGs in general is just about over, I just don't enjoy them as much as a I used to. Normally I'd say open world means bad things for an RPG (takes resources away from developing other things that really matter) but Obsidian did a good job with New Vegas...so I suppose it can be done and CD Projekt are probably one of the few that could do it.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#65 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
you know, my dream witcher game is a game that ditches the whole political drama (or leaves it to the background), and instead focuses on geralt himself, and all the little tales and stories he's been through. kinda like the CGI from the first game. just a compilation of short, interesting stories scattered, and you, as a wither, do all the witcher stuff. so an open world game might be just what i need to achieve this. i love the witcher games, but CDPR spends way too much time talking about the scoia'tael (and painting them as the fantasy equivalent of the rebels from star wars), politics and geralt's amnesia, and too little on what geralt actually does: be a witcher. travel the world getting his coin by solving problems (preferrably monster-related).
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#66 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

you know, my dream witcher game is a game that ditches the whole political drama (or leaves it to the background), and instead focuses on geralt himself, and all the little tales and stories he's been through. kinda like the CGI from the first game. just a compilation of short, interesting stories scattered, and you, as a wither, do all the witcher stuff. so an open world game might be just what i need to achieve this. i love the witcher games, but CDPR spends way too much time talking about the scoia'tael (and painting them as the fantasy equivalent of the rebels from star wars), politics and geralt's amnesia, and too little on what geralt actually does: be a witcher. travel the world getting his coin by solving problems (preferrably monster-related).BrunoBRS
I couldn't agree more. It's almost like the books. The Last Wish was more like TW1, and Blood of Elves more like TW2. I prefer TW1 style. More tales, small stories, intertwined, and focus more on the hero. Screw the politics. I don't care about boring video game story politics. I think the same could be said about Dragon Age 2's story, which just felt very flat. A non-political story will give the game the kind of atmosphere a Witcher game needs. Like TW1, but better.

tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#67 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts

My days of playing RPGs in general is just about over, I just don't enjoy them as much as a I used to. Normally I'd say open world means bad things for an RPG (takes resources away from developing other things that really matter) but Obsidian did a good job with New Vegas...so I suppose it can be done and CD Projekt are probably one of the few that could do it.Gooeykat

i thought same until i played dark souls. if you havent you should give it a try

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#68 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

There is nothing impossible about having both a story as good and detailed as in the first Witcher and an open world.

Sutava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Sutava
Member since 2005 • 27 Posts

I thought Witcher 2 was complete consolised garbage compared to the first Witcher.