Witcher 3 is a masterpiece

This topic is locked from further discussion.

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts

I'm the kind of gamer that plays things late and generally ignores trailers and reviews so that my opinions and experiences are not altered.

I played the first few hours of Witcher 3 on my high end PC and oh my god.... this is seriously the game of the generation. I played 5 or 6 random sidequests and they were better than most campaigns in AAA games. Seriously wow.

I heard the controls suck and after Witcher 2s god awful controls I was worried. Going through the menus I found the alternate movement controls and all that was solved. My sister that hates games sat there and watched in amazement, commenting on that I should go try to save the girl instead of fucking around trying to exorcise a haunted well.

10/10, perfect game imo and I'm just at the start. I've had more fun with this than any RPG since.... KOTOR. The environments are hand crafted and incredible. I saw this fortress that was hard to get to and after finally finding the well hidden path there was a random quest I found that I followed despite being way under levelled. This is up there with KOTOR and Baldurs Gate 2. I could see myself playing this 20 years from now, brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

Dragon Age Inquisition has random stuff too but it feels like an offline mmo the entire time. No real secrets most of the time and the rewards all come from grinding out different game mechanics. Witcher 3 is 100% the opposite, the world feels real and it truly feels like I am Geralt searching for his girl. Game of the gen and I've hardly began. On the surface it looks a lot like many other games but it's just not at all. I just wish they'd waited one generation until Geralts bestiary would be a book you see him looking through and you watch him craft and create things. That would have made it the best game ever.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Nothing is perfect but yes, The Witcher 3 is a masterpiece of a game.

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

Yeah Witcher 3 is probably the best open world rpg in the past few years without a doubt. I really can't think or any major flaw in the game. This is coming from someone who quit Witcher 2 less than an hour into the game

Wit that said, dragon age inquisition sucked balls and should not be compared with Witcher 3

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FelipeInside

@Berserker1_5 said:

. I really can't think or any major flaw in the game.

Probably not major but the leveling was a bit out of balance.

By the time I started the last chapter I was so powerful that every quest (even the main one) was easy. Didn't mind it that much but the issue was once I finished the whole game there was no point going back to it because all the other missions were too low leveled.

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

@FelipeInside:

Yeah, definitely. This is especially true if like most people, you put off doing the main quest line. I personally did get to Skellige till about 100 hrs into the game.

It does help putting the game at death march because even being slightly higher lvl than required can't be quite a challange. In the exp where I am at the moment, I'm finding it difficult despite being lvl 40 in certain place. Could be that I'm just rusty

But yea that was an issue. Another I can think of was the camera angle

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts

@Berserker1_5: I disagree. DAI is a great great contrast as it shows exactly what makes an open world RPG bad. I quit that one after the third zone with hundreds of stupid grinding mechanics. The only flaw in Witcher 3 is that the menus and inventory break the immersion, when the only gripe is the menus you know it's an amazing game.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside

@Berserker1_5 said:

@FelipeInside:

Yeah, definitely. This is especially true if like most people, you put off doing the main quest line. I personally did get to Skellige till about 100 hrs into the game.

It does help putting the game at death march because even being slightly higher lvl than required can't be quite a challange. In the exp where I am at the moment, I'm finding it difficult despite being lvl 40 in certain place. Could be that I'm just rusty

But yea that was an issue. Another I can think of was the camera angle

They added the "Game +" mode on one of the updates but by then I had already moved on. Shame cause the game should have launched with a leveling system where you can always go back after finishing it and still provide a challenge.

The first expansion though was great. Looking forward to Blood and Wine.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Decent game but IMO a masterpiece would have more accessible (or exciting) combat. The way the combat works puts me to sleep. I have a hard time playing it...really lacks charm.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Decent game but IMO a masterpiece would have more accessible (or exciting) combat. The way the combat works puts me to sleep. I have a hard time playing it...really lacks charm.

My thoughts too, but i wouldn't use the word accessible here. It does lack charm, and should feel more hands-on, or precise, like the Souls series imo. It would be near-perfect concept then.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

@robokill: are you out of the tutorial area yet?

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

with blood and wine dlc game is gonna be even more awesome

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#13  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

its not a masterpiece... its way too buggy to be called that... or has been for me anyways. But i agree, the quality of all the quests is above anything in most other games. Even just regular witcher contracts you get have detailed objectives sometimes that lead into even more side missions at times. And the quality of voice acting and writing is beyond anything i can remember. Combat is not bad but still not as good as it could be. And the inventory system and crafting system is shit.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I must be expecting too much from games.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside

@skipper847 said:

I must be expecting too much from games.

It's not about expecting too much, it's about enjoying the good things a game offers.

In the case of Witcher3, it offers a LOT more good things than bad.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@groowagon said:
@KHAndAnime said:

My thoughts too, but i wouldn't use the word accessible here. It does lack charm, and should feel more hands-on, or precise, like the Souls series imo. It would be near-perfect concept then.

If Witcher 3 had combat like Souls or Bloodborne it'd probably be one of the best games of all time. But it it doesn't so Bloodborne gets my GOTY pick. Witcher 3 is close second though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

I recently went back to finish the W3, the combat is just plain bad and annoying.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Combat with TW3 seems fine with mouse and keyboard. I still prefer FC4 during the post-SP campaign, though.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

The combat is great. I just don't get the hate for it. Controls so much better than TW2, despite it clearly being an evolution of the same.

Amazing game all around

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@Berserker1_5 said:

By the time I started the last chapter I was so powerful that every quest (even the main one) was easy. Didn't mind it that much but the issue was once I finished the whole game there was no point going back to it because all the other missions were too low leveled.

Yeap imo that is the biggest problem of the game. Once you reach level 26-27 ( usually just before starting the last chapter) you are so powerful that even on deathmarch difficulty the rest of the game becomes progressively easier. It also doesnt help that there isnt that much content and stuff to do for players with 30+ level.

Other than that i absolutely loved the game.

JamesGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JamesGoblin
Member since 2015 • 114 Posts

I'd say that FO4 is better, but Witcher is not bad at all. Thou I'm still hesitant to call even FO4 a masterpiece.

TotalGandu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TotalGandu
Member since 2014 • 34 Posts

@robokill: I think it's a great game and particularly the storyline engaging. However I didn't find myself falling in love and addicted with it like games like Oblivion or Skyrim. Maybe because i'm desensitized now and just need a higher dose to be impressed. So I felt it was one of the better games for last year. But doesn't stand in my top list.

___ Like Cute little Ninjas? Check out the "Ninjaking : Samurai Maze" game for Iphone and Android on Itunes and the Google Play store - http://bit.ly/1WKPrgn

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Yup it's a fantastic game, one of the best single player games I've ever played.

I also like how it woke up a lot of people to realize just how crap Bethesda games are.

tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts

great game. combat is a bit clumsy (compared to souls series) but you get used to it. much better than skyrim (which was a snorefest for me). plot is awesome. comparing witcher to da:i is an insult. da:i was one of the most boring games I ever played. definitely top 3 with bloodborne and mgs . I didn't play fallout 4 so cant say much but I did not like fallout 3.

slateman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 slateman_basic
Member since 2002 • 4142 Posts

Completely agree. I'm on my second play through. I'm giving serious contemplation to stopping and waiting until I buy a new monitor and video card, and then picking back up when the next expansion drops.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

Yep, Witcher 3 is definitely a masterpiece.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Man this forum is dead, this has been on the first page for weeks.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#29  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

The first few hours of the game are great but after those hours it lost all of this initial excitement. The controls were mediocre and at times downright terrible. World exploration is useless because you get no real XP from monster encounters and the equipment you stumble upon is way beyond your level. The game forces it's story onto you to the point there you spend too much time watching than playing. I enjoyed the first moments of the game where the newness shines but once that wore off my experience with the game changed dramatically. With that said, the game looks great and the world is nicely done with a great level of detail. Some of the sidequests are very interesting; significantly less so with the later and the overall atmosphere is well executed.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#30  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

It's not about expecting too much, it's about enjoying the good things a game offers.

In the case of Witcher3, it offers a LOT more good things than bad.

That is a matter of opinion sir.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts

Its pretty good, yeah.

jj-josh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jj-josh
Member since 2014 • 266 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@Berserker1_5 said:

yea i agree after beating the game im a level 36. Some of "?" located in the world seem useless to me now

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

I think the word "masterpiece" gets thrown around way too casually.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

I finially finished the game, once you get past the horrible dandelion 2nd part it really takes off. The fact that 1/3 of the game sucks makes it no master piece. Shocked at anyone who loved it. It brought the game to a fkn halt.