Witcher 3 - 16 FREE DLC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

All companies should follow this example.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-will-include-16-free-dlc-releases/

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

ya for that i preorder the game , got my PC upgraded cant waaaaaaaaaaaait !

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

slightly off topic, but....

Are the Witcher games story connected to one another, or are they separated stories? Basically can I just jump into The Witcher 3 without ever really playing 1, or 2? Or would I be missing out on something story wise that is paramount?

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I need this game now... But Inquisition will hold me over but I am not too optimistic about it.

dangamit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 dangamit
Member since 2010 • 664 Posts
@Lach0121 said:

Are the Witcher games story connected to one another, or are they separated stories? Basically can I just jump into The Witcher 3 without ever really playing 1, or 2? Or would I be missing out on something story wise that is paramount?

They're somewhat connected, but you don't need to play the first two in order to enjoy the third. That said, playing the first two will make your experience better in the third. And if you want to fully appreciate the story in TW3, you should probably read the books, because major characters like Ciri and Yennefer in TW3 are also major characters in the books. In fact, Ciri can be considered the main character in the Witcher saga (last 4 books) as everything that takes place in the books revolves around her, while Geralt was just caught in the sh*t storm by accident.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Lach0121 said:

They are connected. Best thing is to watch a summary of Witcher 1 and 2 before playing 3. Even read the wiki so you know what's going on.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lach0121

@FelipeInside: That makes sense. I might give that a shot.

I just don't have the time to play Witcher 1 & 2. So many games that interest, my gaming time is basically all reserved for the next coming year lol.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

It's not free, it's $60. Also cutting out stuff and calling it "free DLC" is dumb. Marketers obviously fooled some people so mission accomplished.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

Seem's like Yennefer could be playable in the game. She has an alternative costume in the dlc pack.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

@saintsatan said:

It's not free, it's $60. Also cutting out stuff and calling it "free DLC" is dumb. Marketers obviously fooled some people so mission accomplished.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but who was the last developer that sold a game for $60 with more than 10 free DLCs? Let alone, 5. I thought so.

Actually, calling it free DLC is technically correct. To make DLC costs money. The idea that all developers practice shady business by cutting out content from the original game to sell as DLC isn't always true, and often times unproven. Even if it were true, you cannot prove it. Otherwise, it is just a conspiracy theory.

I think you do not have a strong understanding of video game development. It costs money to do anything in game development. For example, to create a single character model to add to an already released game as a DLC takes resources = time, money, man-power. Nothing is free.

Artists have to sketch, draw, said character. Designers have to create character model(s). Animators have to create animations for it. Computer programmers have to code for it. Then they need to balance the new character with everything else in the game, especially if it's a multiplayer game.

No wonder forums are flooded with gamers who complain, whine, and point the blame without doing a bit of research. That's why we can't have nice things. All it takes is one for person to ruin it for the rest of us. We are not short of gamers who cannot critical think. Just walk into a game forum or a comments section.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lach0121

@Elann2008 said:

@saintsatan said:

That's why we can't have nice things.

While I will say that un-informed gamers are among the least of the problems that lead to the problem I have bolded in your statement. I will point out that it (as with most of our woes) is far more a systemic problem of current the socio-econimical structure. (Unless of course you mean just in the gaming world, and even then what I stated is probably still accurate)

Other than that I agree with you. People should educate themselves more on the processes, and how things are done (and can potentially be done) especially in the fields that interest them. Seems more are worried rather about that verification stamp that says they have educated themselves on it. Gamers are in no way isolated from this, just as I feel those that enjoy music should understand how it is made a little better. Maybe then we won't have such ridiculous things like the gratification of Justin Beiber, or a college course on Beyonce'. (which in no way deserves it)

Not saying that music lovers should know how to make music, or each little process, but the more they learn about it (even if just a little) I think would be better off in the long run. Just as if gamers were to inform themselves more on how games are made, and introduced to the market, then the devs/publishers would have a harder time doing sneaky things that screw over the gamer just for the sake of profit. As well as less gamers whining over something that is really a non-issue.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Don't care if this is a public stunt or not they are really going all out to get on our good side. They are talking AND walking. Physical OST, and guide for standard edition of games? Completely DRM free online distribution service via gog? Free DLC? The Witcher 2 free upgrade was pretty massive. Damn.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#13 Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

This is the only game I have preordered (and not kickstarted) this year. They had already earned my business, and now I find out about this...awesome! Well done CDProjekt, you have made almost every other developer out there look like douchebags.

Would buy again.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#14 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

They have all my love

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

While giving DLC for free is very nice, I hate it when DLC consists of overpowered items dumped into your inventory at the start. Like those ridiculous DLC pants for Witcher 2: they blew all other trousers out of the water until maybe near the endg, so you had an entire equipment slot that you never had a reason to change for pratically the entire game.

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts

CD Projekt situation is unique though, that's a different country the operate out of, with different economic structures. Other developers have to keep making payroll and probably charge for DLC since they need it to survive. Some DLC is free some is not. Epic Games did it really good.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

Sounds like a win/win I hope the dlc is worth it.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
@saintsatan said:

Without knowing the details of the games development you can't be sure of that. Besides - if the stand alone game isn't lacking in content, and all the DLC is FREE, what's the issue exactly?

Star_Skywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Star_Skywalker
Member since 2007 • 4025 Posts

Not having a season pass shoved down our throats before day one is a win in itself. No retailer exclusive bonus to boot or DLC at all before day one.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

@Lach0121 said:

@Elann2008 said:

@saintsatan said:

That's why we can't have nice things.

That is really a non-issue.

Well said, as I highlight and elaborate a bit on this last bolded statement, I concur. This is really a non-issue. Even if they dump all the DLC in-game items into your inventory, you do not need to use it. I am sure you can sell it to the vendor or simply drop the item like in The Witcher 2.

Without dragging this on any further, I will say that I am very much looking forward to The Witcher 3. I pre-ordered because I wanted the Collector's Edition with the limited edition statue. I hope it turns out to be a stellar piece of work.

@FelipeInside Agreed.