windows 10 keeps waking up from sleep

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hydrolex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Hydrolex
Member since 2007 • 1648 Posts

What is the problem ? I have set maintenance and update time to different times but PC just keeps waking up randomly

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Hydrolex said:

What is the problem ? I have set maintenance and update time to different times but PC just keeps waking up randomly

Check the following things in Device Manager and turn them off (Power Management > Allow this device to wake up computer)

- Keyboard

- Mouse

- Network Adapter

Hydrolex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Hydrolex

@FelipeInside said:
@Hydrolex said:

Check the following things in Device Manager and turn them off (Power Management > Allow this device to wake up computer)

- Keyboard

- Mouse

- Network Adapter

Okay thanks, gave this a try. Will let you know

One question tho, I used to wake PC up using the keyboard, now how do I wake it up ? The power button on PC case?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Hydrolex said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Hydrolex said:

- Keyboard

- Mouse

- Network Adapter

Okay thanks, gave this a try. Will let you know

One question tho, I used to wake PC up using the keyboard, now how do I wake it up ? The power button on PC case?

Yep, that's how I do it.

You can try just leaving the keyboard to allow wake and see how you go. I had it at first like that but for some reason the keyboard would still randomly wake up the PC.

I wish Windows would get the sleep feature right like Macs have for once.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Can also always go to the run prompt, type "cmd", and within the command prompt type powercfg lastwake to see what was the device that specifically causes the issue.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Can also always go to the run prompt, type "cmd", and within the command prompt type powercfg lastwake to see what was the device that specifically causes the issue.

oooo...that's a handy command. thanks for the tip.

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

Go to "control panel" -> "system and security"-> "power options". Then under your power plan select "change plan settings" in blue on the right side of the screen. Then click on "change advanced power settings", which is in blue on the lower half of the screen. Scroll down to the "sleep" option in the little window that opens, click the "+" to open a drop menu and do the same for "allow wake timers". Change all wake timer options to "DISABLED", and your computer won't randomly wake from sleep to do updates/maintenance and crap. Just let it do that stuff when it's already fully on.

I used to have the same problem with my PC waking up from hybrid shutdown in the middle of the night.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Was going to post this because I had the same problem last week. It was my AV.

Hydrolex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hydrolex

I have done everything. keeps waking up

lastwake in cmd says nothing, wake source count - 0

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

theres two things that always caused this for me. First thing was my wireless mouse, ended up being best to physically turn the mouse off before i put pc into sleep mode because if i didn't the mouse would wake it up.

Secondly, the network card. Theres power management settings you must turn off which say 'allow device to wake computer'.

And also, make sure you turn off things like wake on magic packet, wake on pattern match, wake on link settings in the advanced settings for your network adapter. But most importantly the first thing there about allowing it to wake computer, if theres a setting for that. My realtek network adapter has that setting yet my intel network adapter doesn't, but i have to turn off the wake on packet settings.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#11 BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

I think it keeps waking up because it has slept enough. It can only sleep so much you know. It wants to get up and do something. ;)

AzNaLaN15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 AzNaLaN15
Member since 2003 • 73 Posts

Do you have a controller plugged in? That was the problem for me.

seanivo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By seanivo
Member since 2016 • 6 Posts

One thing that may help is WinSleep by MollieSoft - it shows a timeline of when the computer was awake or asleep, which may help you figure out the root cause. www.molliesoft.com/winsleep