Will Borderlands be fun after Borderlands 2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Hi,

Friends got me interested in Borderlands 2 (they never shut up about it!), and I was wondering, since I didn't play the first one, would it still be fun after BL2, or should I play them in the order in which they were released?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
I haven't played either but I'll go off what my friends say (and people on this forum) - You don't need to play BL1 to enjoy part 2 - BL2 does everything better than BL1, so maybe you won't enjoy it as much if you start with 2
8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts
Sure it will. Will it be as good? No, Borderlands 2 is a very good improvement on BL1.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
Are your friends willing to play with you? Borderlands 1 is pretty mediocre unless you have someone to play co-op with.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
I didn't like the first Borderlands. It's acceptable when playing online, but it just felt empty and lifeless to me, everything from the characters to the environments. Borderlands 2 is a massive improvement and is what the first Borderlands should've been like, I'd personally skip BL1 and go straight to 2, it has everything the original had plus a lot more.
Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
The only reason I can think of to return to borderlands 2 would be to play the crazy broken Siren class. Or to experience a much better tanking class as Brick than Salv can use.
Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts
If you have any desire to play Borderlands, you should probably do it before playing Borderlands 2. Considering the sequel didn't so much change things as just improve them, once you get used to the way things are in Borderlands 2, you'll almost certainly be disappointed by the lack of those tweaks and features in the original. Which isn't to say you might not still enjoy the game, but you'll find it a little frustrating at times. Have you played Diablo and Diablo II? If so, it's a lot like that. The original is still fun, because the core game is still pretty great, but it's a little disappointing and frustrating that all the new features they added to the sequel - which seem like such simple, obvious things to have - are missing. And, like others have said, unless you have friends who are going to play the original with you, you might find it bland, boring, and even tedious at times - especially if you play the original solo after playing Borderlands 2 with your friends.
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
Borderlands 2 does everything Borderlands 1 does but better. So if you want to play BL1 definitely play it first (only if you have someone to co-op with). Otherwise skip straight to 2 as you won't really miss much.
Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Well if the first game is not worth it if you play solo then I guess I'll just skip it and join the party with Borderlands 2 :D.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

I didn't like the first Borderlands. It's acceptable when playing online, but it just felt empty and lifeless to me, everything from the characters to the environments. Borderlands 2 is a massive improvement and is what the first Borderlands should've been like, I'd personally skip BL1 and go straight to 2, it has everything the original had plus a lot more.PernicioEnigma

That's what Pandora is about, it IS an hazardous enviroment where not only bandits, but every plant the next corner you wander around wants to kill you. Given, there are no plants in BL1 basic game, but just replace that with Skags.

streetridaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 streetridaz
Member since 2003 • 3276 Posts
Sure it will. Will it be as good? No, Borderlands 2 is a very good improvement on BL1.8-Bitterness
I'll co-sign that statement
Hsk_Dark_Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hsk_Dark_Link
Member since 2006 • 55 Posts

If you want to enjoy BL1, I'd play it first before touching BL2. However, if you have limited time on your hands, just jump to BL2 because it's a different game that doesn't really need much back story from the first one. Plus, everything is better than the first imo

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
Just jump into number 2. The games are pretty unrelated in terms of story. So its not like you'll miss anything if you don't play the first one. BL2 is a massive improvement on BL1 in every way. Which is saying a lot since BL1 wasn't half bad. BL2 story is better, missions are better, loot is better, characters are better, the PC version is better (optimisation, options, etc)....
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
Borderlands 2 is better than the first game in almost every way. Also, while I think you can just jump right in without too much issue story wise, I think the idea that the second's story is pretty unrelated to the first isn't really true. The majority of the characters in the game are all from the first, and a lot of the plot lines are direct continuations of this. I don't think you need to play the first though, you could probably just read a wiki on it. If you don't know who these folks are though, you are going to miss some of the context, and consequentially some of the humor too.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bonafidetk
[QUOTE="Renevent42"]Borderlands 2 is better than the first game in almost every way. Also, while I think you can just jump right in without too much issue story wise, I think the idea that the second's story is pretty unrelated to the first isn't really true. The majority of the characters in the game are all from the first, and a lot of the plot lines are direct continuations of this. I don't think you need to play the first though, you could probably just read a wiki on it. If you don't know who these folks are though, you are going to miss some of the context, and consequentially some of the humor too.

Its nice for BL1 players to see Dr Zed, Markus, and Lillith etc, but it doesnt mean anything really. Its like fan service. New players wont be missing out on anything.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bonafidetk
I think its obvious a lot of people in this thread wont have played the game in its entirety and its kinda out of line to write extreme spoilers like that, even to prove a point.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Renevent42

I suppose that's why I put them in between big huge all caps spoilers. But you are right, it certainly does prove the point lol :P

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 General_X
This is why the GS gods have invented the SPOILER tag Just type [*SPOILER*]Spoiler goes here.[*/SPOILER*] Without the asterisks ofcourse [spoiler] It's that easy [/spoiler]
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Renevent42

Or if you see spoiler and you don't want something to be spoiled, don't read it. It too, is that easy.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 General_X

Or if you see spoiler and you don't want something to be spoiled, don't read it. It too, is that easy.

Renevent42
I'm not mad as I've already passed that part in the game, but all I'm saying is that typing 1 extra character to put something in spoiler tags seems a little better than just putting "SPOILER" and "END SPOILER" and trusting people's eyes to not wander in between them.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Renevent42

I think people are responsible enough to decide what to read and what not to read.

Anyways it doesn't really matter, not here to debate spoiler tags. The reality is there is quite a lot of carry-over and lore/characters/ect from the first game. It's not essential that anyone plays the first to enjoy the second game IMO, but the stories are definetly related and playing the first game will give you a lot of context/humor/ect for BL2's story as well.

If anyone wants to go on about their preferred spoiler tags be my guest lol.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
it wasn't fun to begin with >.>
SharkheadHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SharkheadHD
Member since 2012 • 227 Posts

Hi,

Friends got me interested in Borderlands 2 (they never shut up about it!), and I was wondering, since I didn't play the first one, would it still be fun after BL2, or should I play them in the order in which they were released?

PfizersaurusRex
You can do either one! I personally enjoy B2's story much more, and I like how they incorporated many of the characters from the first game - It feels like a family reunion almost : D So yeah there isn't any harm in playing the first one, there are many people who still do!