Will an i7 make much of a difference over an i5 for gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shufu7-11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 shufu7-11
Member since 2006 • 943 Posts

My i5 has served me very well, especially since most current-gen console ports aren't optimized to use multiple cores. However it appears that will be changing with the PS4 having 8 cores and the next Xbox likely following suit. As such, I'm considering upgrading to an i7 3770k in preparation for the next generation of games (namely for hyperthreading). I know that hyperthreading doesn't make much of a difference for current-gen games, but do you guys think it might help when the next-gen ports start arriving on PC? I know it's difficult to know for sure until they day actually arrives, but I though it'd be helpful to get some other opinions on the matter. :)

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Simply no. You're fine where you are. No offense, but any PC gamer should know by now that next-gen "console talk" isn't going to change the game. Don't worry!
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
You won't notice that much of a difference in GAMING from an i5 to an i7. BUT, it also depends on the game. Some games (like Guild Wars 2 for example) require a lot of CPU Processing Power, so you might see a performance jump with an i7. It also depends what hardware you have around it though.
shufu7-11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 shufu7-11
Simply no. You're fine where you are. No offense, but any PC gamer should know by now that next-gen "console talk" isn't going to change the game. Don't worry!Elann2008
Yeah, I'm pretty new to PC gaming. Been a console gamer my whole life up until August of last year when I finally built my rig, so I don't have any first-hand experience with the effects (or lack thereof) of a new console generation on PC gaming.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="Elann2008"]Simply no. You're fine where you are. No offense, but any PC gamer should know by now that next-gen "console talk" isn't going to change the game. Don't worry!shufu7-11
Yeah, I'm pretty new to PC gaming. Been a console gamer my whole life up until August of last year when I finally built my rig, so I don't have any first-hand experience with the effects (or lack thereof) of a new console generation on PC gaming.

If ur new to PC gaming I'll give a few tips after looking at ur configuration: - Don't use WD Caviar Green. They are low speed environmental drives meant for normal desktops, not gaming. - You don't really need to OC ur CPU at this moment.
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

No.  Your current CPU is very strong for all tasks, especially gaming.  No need to even think about upgrading.  I doubt the next gen of console hardware will do much to the PC hardware scene.  Hyperthreading does jack squat for gaming performance.  

shufu7-11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 shufu7-11
[QUOTE="shufu7-11"][QUOTE="Elann2008"]Simply no. You're fine where you are. No offense, but any PC gamer should know by now that next-gen "console talk" isn't going to change the game. Don't worry!FelipeInside

If ur new to PC gaming I'll give a few tips after looking at ur configuration: - Don't use WD Caviar Green. They are low speed environmental drives meant for normal desktops, not gaming. - You don't really need to OC ur CPU at this moment.

I initially went with a Black, but the noise drove me nuts. I was willing to sacrifice performance for peace and quiet. :)
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="shufu7-11"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="shufu7-11"] Yeah, I'm pretty new to PC gaming. Been a console gamer my whole life up until August of last year when I finally built my rig, so I don't have any first-hand experience with the effects (or lack thereof) of a new console generation on PC gaming.

I initially went with a Black, but the noise drove me nuts. I was willing to sacrifice performance for peace and quiet. :)

Noise? Really? U sure it wasn't faulty or something? I've used many Blacks and they sound fine. Greens are less noisy cause they actually turn off (power down to slowest speed) when not in use.
shufu7-11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shufu7-11
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="shufu7-11"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] If ur new to PC gaming I'll give a few tips after looking at ur configuration: - Don't use WD Caviar Green. They are low speed environmental drives meant for normal desktops, not gaming. - You don't really need to OC ur CPU at this moment.

Noise? Really? U sure it wasn't faulty or something? I've used many Blacks and they sound fine. Greens are less noisy cause they actually turn off (power down to slowest speed) when not in use.

It may have been faulty; I can't say for sure since it's been so long. All I can remember is that it was loud enough to bug me. Ideally I'd have an SSD, but I'm just a poor college student lol. XD
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="shufu7-11"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="shufu7-11"] I initially went with a Black, but the noise drove me nuts. I was willing to sacrifice performance for peace and quiet. :)

It may have been faulty; I can't say for sure since it's been so long. All I can remember is that it was loud enough to bug me. Ideally I'd have an SSD, but I'm just a poor college student lol. XD

I just built a new rig (arrived today :)). I got an SSD (240GB) just cause it was a new rig, but they are still too expensive.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

TC dont worry about next-gen consoles the ps4's jaguar is basically a glorified pair of intel atom cpu's XD

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts
Depends on which i7 and what GPU you already got. Changing to a i7 Sandy Bridge E will at least mean an increase in minimum FPS But only in games where the i5 will at times come short or in games that are heavily dependent on the CPU.
Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="shufu7-11"] I initially went with a Black, but the noise drove me nuts. I was willing to sacrifice performance for peace and quiet. :)shufu7-11

IMO an SSD would get you a better preformance increase then a new CPU at the moment, you should be good for another year or two before having to change anything. That green HDD is the only weak link I can see.Â