Why don't PC games support Dolby Digital?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

I was wondering as a new pc gamer...why don't pc games support Dolby Digital? My computer has a Coaxial Digital output which I run through my home theater reciever, but when I'm playing Gears/Crysis/etc, none of them send a DD signal to the reciever. I know that the computer does indeed send a DD signal when I play DVD movies though.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated please. I played through Gears on 360 and the sound was much, much better than PC. Now I'm playing with much better graphics, but worse sound! lol.

Thanks again for any info guys.

BTW: I have "Realtek High Definition Audio" that is integrated on my MB if that helps at all. I just don't understand why it plays through movies just fine, but not my games. Thanks!

Vilot_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Vilot_Hero
Member since 2008 • 4522 Posts
Im guessing that onboard sound cards don't do well with PC games(Im just guessing here). I would look it up on google.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts

Many games have dolby digital but you must use the analog connections on the sound card. It wouldn't work through coax. Connecting a coax cable is useless when it comes to PC games. All you will get is stereo sound. I don't know why they don't support it.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
I'm guessing it's because of the assumption that PC gamers will have their surround sound speakers connected with 3.5mm analog cables carrying two channels each, rather than a single digital audio cable. With analog audio, the best way to handle each sound channel is in an uncompressed PCM format. However, S/PDIF digital connections can only handle two PCM channels at any given time. Dolby Digital and DTS are compressed formats that fit within the bandwidth limitations. To get around this, you can get a sound card with Dolby Digital Live! or DTS Connect if your onboard sound codec does not offer the capability already. What those features do is encode any and all sound output from your PC into a Dolby Digital or DTS stream on-the-fly, which would preserve surround sound capability in PC games. Some good ones to choose from are Auzentech's X-Fi Prelude and all those C-Media-based cards everyone else is offering (most notably Asus and their Xonar line). IIRC, some of Creative's X-Fi cards also have DDL and maybe DTS Connect, but I'm not exactly sure here.
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts

Many games have dolby digital but you must use the analog connections on the sound card. It wouldn't work through coax. Connecting a coax cable is useless when it comes to PC games. All you will get is stereo sound. I don't know why they don't support it.

Deihmos

Digital coax will carry a 5.1 Dolby Digital Signal.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
[QUOTE="Deihmos"]

TheCrazed420

What are you saying? PC games don't have a 5.1 signal for coax connections. There isn't a single game that has it.
PunishedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 PunishedOne
Member since 2003 • 6045 Posts

Because Dolby Digital is a home theater format first and formost. In addition, it's an outdated audio codec, in-game engines are providing their own 5.1 surround that is becoming superior to DD.

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
[QUOTE="TheCrazed420"][QUOTE="Deihmos"]

Deihmos

What are you saying? PC games don't have a 5.1 signal for coax connections. There isn't a single game that has it.

All I was saying is digital coax can carry a Dolby Digital signal. Most television stations run all of their audio that way. :)

Any PC game that would output a DD5.1 signal going to a audio card/receiver that has a Digital coax in could potentially work that way. It doesnt have to encoded by the devs any differently, its just another type of cable, like a fiberoptic one.

As to why no games support it, I would predict its somewhat like any peripheral that only a select few of your target audience has(like the power glove :P), theres not enough demand for it to qualify spending the extra money and resources to put it out. Purely theory though...

Juzam_Djinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Juzam_Djinn
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

try redocnexk for coaxial output with creative cards

i played COD5 and FEAR2 in Dolby Digital with Audigy 2 ZS on vista x64