Why doesnt everyone like mac?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bm1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 bm1212
Member since 2009 • 559 Posts

Me, being an owner of a macbook pro, have always wondered why people just opt for the windows pcs. The mac operating systems are far more simpler to use and arent as frustrating to use as a windows os. The only real factor that seems to matter to people is the price of what they are buying and the prices of the macs can triple a windows laptop with the same specs. And also there arent many apps that can be compatible with the macs but that isnt an issue because there is also the option of putting a windows os on a mac. Overall, the macs are just much more high quality and just gives more satisfaction than any other computers. Trust me on this, you really would be better off with a mac.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

Me, being an owner of a macbook pro, have always wondered why people just opt for the windows pcs. The mac operating systems are far more simpler to use and arent as frustrating to use as a windows os. The only real factor that seems to matter to people is the price of what they are buying and the prices of the macs can triple a windows laptop with the same specs. And also there arent many apps that can be compatible with the macs but that isnt an issue because there is also the option of putting a windows os on a mac. Overall, the macs are just much more high quality and just gives more satisfaction than any other computers. Trust me on this, you really would be better off with a mac.

bm1212
No, I'm really better off building my own PC for the fraction of the cost of a Mac. yeah, you can dual boot Windows on a mac, but if all of my apps and games are Windows apps and games, what's the point of using Mac OS? Apple has proprietary, overpriced hardware. Ease of use is a matter of opinion as well. I've been using Windows for years, and I don't even see what's so "hard" about it.
bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#3 bowlingotter
Member since 2005 • 6464 Posts

I love Macs. I just wish I could justify the price. And I like games.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts
Several reasons - Mac's cost a lot more for what you get. That is you get a lot more computer pr dollar with a windows based PC - Mac's lack games. There's very few games out there for Mac OS, and while you can run games through bootcamp, why would I want to by a Mac for a higher price just so I can boot it up in windows if I want to play games - I don't agree that Mac's are easier to use. It mainly comes down to what you're used to. I'e used windows for more than a decade and know how everything works, there is no real incentive for me to relearn this on a mac when mac doesn't offer anything I don't already have access to on a Windows based machine. So trust me on this, I would not be better off with a mac. In fact, I'm hard pressed to think of a single good reason why I would bother with a mac besides idle curiosity.
bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bowlingotter

And BTW I used Macs exclusively for about 10 years and watched the gaming pass me by. I missed Half-Life 1 and almost Half-Life 2. I still use a Mac in my recording studio. But I can't justify the price anymore, especially when it means that I have to basically stop playing games on computer if it's not made by Blizzard. So no, I don't trust you, and I would not be better off with a Mac.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

Macs are well built machines, but they're not for everyone and the costs can be prohibitive. If a person has the most barebones needs for a machine, there's no reason to buy a Mac.

Deadly_Fatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Deadly_Fatalis
Member since 2006 • 1756 Posts
I don't know what people see that's so hard about windows. I navigate around just fine, and my machine has better hardware for a lower price. Why would I go mac?
quijeros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 quijeros
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

bm1212

You answered your question for me.

'High quality and more satisfaction', as you put it, doesn't really justify the astronomical price for a brand name and proprietary hardware and software.

bm1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bm1212
Member since 2009 • 559 Posts

Some of you guys have said that windows computers arent that "hard" to use. Well obviously you can use it but the macs are just easier. Windows tend to slow down drastically over a short period of time whereas the macs take a lot more time to slow down and run very smoothly. The reason I say that windows can be hard to use is that they frequently freeze up and dont run as smoothly. Even high spec windows pcs can freeze up which is painstakingly annoying and the worst thing about this is that it cant be avoided. Look guys, just try a mac for yourselves, those of you who havent got one, for a while and see the difference. Honestly I have had my macbook pro for while now but I still feel just as excited to use it as the day I bought it, quality stuff.

the_mitch28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 the_mitch28
Member since 2005 • 4684 Posts

Because anyone who knows anything about PC's just can't justify handing over that amount of money.

The problem occurs when you walk into an apple store and look at an iMac and it's associated price tag and just think in your head "oh man I could build such a beast with that amount of money".

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

Some of you guys have said that windows computers arent that "hard" to use. Well obviously you can use it but the macs are just easier. Windows tend to slow down drastically over a short period of time whereas the macs take a lot more time to slow down and run very smoothly. The reason I say that windows can be hard to use is that they frequently freeze up and dont run as smoothly. Even high spec windows pcs can freeze up which is painstakingly annoying and the worst thing about this is that it cant be avoided.

bm1212

This would have been the case before Windows 7. And I don't buy that bit about "macs are just easier." I've had plenty of customers who couldn't figure out how to use their Macs, "I can't install my printer and Apples are supposed to just work!"

bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bowlingotter

Some of you guys have said that windows computers arent that "hard" to use. Well obviously you can use it but the macs are just easier. Windows tend to slow down drastically over a short period of time whereas the macs take a lot more time to slow down and run very smoothly. The reason I say that windows can be hard to use is that they frequently freeze up and dont run as smoothly. Even high spec windows pcs can freeze up which is painstakingly annoying and the worst thing about this is that it cant be avoided. Look guys, just try a mac for yourselves, those of you who havent got one, for a while and see the difference. Honestly I have had my macbook pro for while now but I still feel just as excited to use it as the day I bought it, quality stuff.

bm1212

Nope.

I got the first Mac model G4 with OS 9.0. Then I got 10.1 when it came out. Stuck with them through OS's, models, all the way up to my current studio Mac quad core intel kick ass crazy power dude, albeit it cost me almost $4,000.

At home I have my gaming PC which can run Crysis on high settings which ended up costing me less than $1,000. And guess what? I can't remember the last time my PC froze or stopped running smoothly. On the other hand, the latest release of Snow Leopard had a wonderful bug that could delete your entire primary user account and all data if you signed in as a guest. Wonderful Apple reliability there, eh?

I've been an Apple fan for a long time, and I still have a soft spot for them. But seriously, every argument you're attempting to make here is extremely flawed. Plus you're on a gaming site. Is there a worse place to go and preach about Macs?

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 zomglolcats

bm1212
I don't have a problem with my PC freezing up, and I am using Vista. Win 7 is supposed to be even better. If someone has problems with their PC crashing they either have faulty hardware or a PC full of spyware or viruses.
bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bowlingotter

I don't have a problem with my PC freezing up, and I am using Vista. Win 7 is supposed to be even better. If someone has problems with their PC crashing they either have faulty hardware or a PC full of spyware or viruses.zomglolcats

Nail on the head.

The single thing Apple has over PC is the lack of viruses and spyware. The fact is, if the amount of Apples in the world was comparable at all to the amount of Windows PCs, the problem would be just as bad on the other side. Truth is, I read a recent survey that showed that while the amount of households with Appls is growing, on average, for every Apple in a household, there was at least one PC.

By that argument, if the solution is viruses, spyware, or "ease of use," then Apples are for irresponsible computer owners who aren't familiar with their systems. Or people who like the OS a great deal, have the money to spend, and don't worry about gaming on computers.

But spare me the "Apples are better than Windows PCs" argument. That's for commercials and fanboys.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

Because of "Games for Windows" :)

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Ehh, games?
Drazule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Drazule
Member since 2007 • 8693 Posts

bm1212

That my friend, is a personal opinion that not everybody shares.

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#18 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

Because MAC has no gaems.

the_mitch28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 the_mitch28
Member since 2005 • 4684 Posts

With mac you get less for more.

felixiration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 felixiration
Member since 2009 • 433 Posts

The people who need the term mod defined for them are the same people who use macs.

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

Macs are dramatically overpriced, have like 1/50 of PC game library (and games that work on them generally run worse), are too semplified for people with no clue about computer science, therefore limiting your freedom and Apple managers think their elitism makes them smart.

Stability? Hadn't had a single crash on Vista, maybe one on XP, haven't tried W7 yet.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

bm1212

Listen, I'm glad that you like your mac, that's great that you got a computer that you're enjoying. But you're argument for using a mac over a PC is a little silly.

Both machines can get slowdowns, both can have technical issues, both can crash, both can get viruses, both can get choked down in spy ware, add-ware and general junk. Both machines needs occasional maintenance and you need to use both machines in a sensible fashion or it will eventually start affecting the machines performance.

Mac is nice. There's nothing wrong with them. But at the end of the day they are not that different from a windows based PC. If you like macs, great, but don't try to argue that it's better by some measurable standard, I think it's an argument you're going to have a hard time backing up with facts :)

FloydianBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FloydianBrad
Member since 2006 • 243 Posts

For me, Linux > Windows > Mac. If games were designed for Linux, it'd be my main OS, but they aren't so I stick with Windows.

Macs aren't necessarily bad, but you are paying a large portion of the price for the name (or customer service, as they'll have you believe). The OS isn't great, the price is ridiculous, and the software selection is very limited.

TruedUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TruedUp
Member since 2002 • 691 Posts
[QUOTE="Mograine"]

Macs are dramatically overpriced, have like 1/50 of PC game library (and games that work on them generally run worse), are too semplified for people with no clue about computer science, therefore limiting your freedom and Apple managers think their elitism makes them smart.

Stability? Hadn't had a single crash on Vista, maybe one on XP, haven't tried W7 yet.

Thats about it right there. Good on ya.
FrankTheFrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 FrankTheFrank
Member since 2006 • 101 Posts

Why would I buy a system that requires me to boot into another operating system, when I could buy one which comes with an operating system that can do anything?

fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 fudgeblood
Member since 2008 • 3165 Posts

you are paying a large portion of the price for the name

FloydianBrad
This, alot of the people I've seen think they're "hip" or "cool" for owning a Mac, I just tell them to GTFO.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
a windows pc with similar specs costs MUCH less than a Mac. while having more options for software and hardware. to get pass the software problem you say put windows on it. well that just adds more to the cost of the Mac solution doesn't it?
TruedUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TruedUp
Member since 2002 • 691 Posts
[QUOTE="fudgeblood"][QUOTE="FloydianBrad"]

you are paying a large portion of the price for the name

This, alot of the people I've seen think they're "hip" or "cool" for owning a Mac, I just tell them to GTFO.

Lol, dude, they wont listen. They will be too busy exchanging written work and living the iLife while drinking a 5 dollar cappucino from star bucks.
anolecrabcf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 anolecrabcf
Member since 2005 • 658 Posts
I have OSX installed on a virtual machine because there's no Iphone SDK in Windows (for obvious reasons), and I can safely say I would never switch to a Mac. I mean no resizing windows and no games, not even a minesweeper clone or something, just one lame chess game.
Avatar image for CorpseCandleTNT
CorpseCandleTNT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CorpseCandleTNT
Member since 2007 • 47 Posts

Mac's just cant come even close to PC's for gaming. They are good for certain things but not games.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
I have OSX installed on a virtual machine because there's no Iphone SDK in Windows (for obvious reasons), and I can safely say I would never switch to a Mac. I mean no resizing windows and no games, not even a minesweeper clone or something, just one lame chess game. anolecrabcf
you can resize windows in osx. it's just not as easy as in windows.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 zomglolcats

Mac's just cant come even close to PC's for gaming. They are good for certain things but not games.

CorpseCandleTNT
Exactly. This has to have been the worst forum he could have picked for trying to convince people to use a Mac... a gaming forum of all places.
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

bm1212

I refuse to buy Macs for the following reasons:

1. I build my own computer so when I buy parts there aren't always drivers for Mac OS's

2. They cost more than they are worth

3. I own 245 games and a great dela of them don't have support for Macs

4. The software support is better on Windows

5. Some software that does have a Mac version cost more than the Windows versions

6. Most Mac users I encounter are so arrogant about Macs being superior I just want to punch them right then and there

Now as to your comment about being able to put Windows on a Mac: if you have to put Windows on a Mac to get all the features you may want then Macs fail right there. I don't feel the need to dual boot Mac Os's on my PC because of some missing feature.

OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 OgreB
Member since 2004 • 2523 Posts

bm1212
Ahhh...no games for Mac ( or very few ) This is Gamespot...people play games...PC or console... If I'm going to be an accountant or writer or CAD programmer...I would get a Mac. But I'm a gamer...so Windows it is.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
I just don't like Mac period.
daginsergent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 daginsergent
Member since 2006 • 44 Posts

To put it bluntly, macs can't do what PC's do best: Game. I'm a proud PC owner and I would never dream of buying an overpriced piece of hardware that is only capable of doing a fraction of what my pc already does, but less efficiently.

Angry_Mushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Angry_Mushroom
Member since 2009 • 708 Posts
I don't know what people see that's so hard about windows. I navigate around just fine, and my machine has better hardware for a lower price. Why would I go mac?Deadly_Fatalis
Why indeed. I've never had clutter issues with a windows os.
sammysalsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sammysalsa
Member since 2004 • 1832 Posts

bm1212

So many things wrong with this.

Yes, OSX is simpler to use and as a result you have far less control over your computer, less options and less customization.

Quality is a moot point - for equal amounts spent on a mac and an equivalent "PC" the PC will always be superior in terms of hardware and performance, the nice shiny case a mac comes in is not indicative of it's performance nor it's generic hardware components.

Also, this is a gaming forum, Windows based machines are ideal for gaming for many, many reasons whereas the same cannot be said about a mac.

sammysalsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 sammysalsa
Member since 2004 • 1832 Posts

[QUOTE="bm1212"]

OgreB

Ahhh...no games for Mac ( or very few ) This is Gamespot...people play games...PC or console... If I'm going to be an accountant or writer or CAD programmer...I would get a Mac. But I'm a gamer...so Windows it is.

CAD programs are not available on mac specifically because of the limited hardware.

Maybe you mean graphic design or web design...

dmb34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#40 dmb34
Member since 2004 • 1102 Posts
I like building my own pc, it becomes more personal when you put it together and watch it come to life. Pc are everywhere too and I dont want to learn the in-outs of mac when i have invested years on a pc.
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
Most games don't work. Price is WAY too expensive. I don't want to pay $2000 for a good mac. my $500 PC plays all of the latest games on high and does everything I want it to. and I am not stupid enough to get a virus.
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

The mac operating systems are far more simpler to use and arent as frustrating to use as a windows os. The only real factor that seems to matter to people is the price of what they are buying and the prices of the macs can triple a windows laptop with the same specs. And also there arent many apps that can be compatible with the macs but that isnt an issue because there is also the option of putting a windows os on a mac. Overall, the macs are just much more high quality and just gives more satisfaction than any other computers. Trust me on this, you really would be better off with a mac.bm1212

I don't hate Macs.

I hate Mac fanboys. Well, I hate fanboys in general..but Mac fanboys in particular get on my nerves.

Your post is a nice example. Just because Windows isn't right for you doesn't mean it isn't right for anyone else. Get over yourself.

ironman388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ironman388
Member since 2006 • 1454 Posts

[QUOTE="bm1212"]

OgreB

because it's so hard to do spreadsheets on excel and use microsoft word :rollseyes:

simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts

I don't feel like reading all the crap above my post because I've seen the same responses everywhere

bm1212

Why have I opted for a windows PC?

I'm a programming student. I work with VB, C++, C#, Java, HTML/CSS and a few more languages. We use Visual Studio as our compiler as it is very reliable and has a nice interface. Visual Studio is not available on Mac OSes.

I like to play games a lot, Mac just doesn't have very good game compatability.

Simpler OS? I don't want a SIMPLER OS. If you have a hard time with Windows, I fear for the future of our youth. I grew up on DOS and Windows 3.1 and I have never complained about the difficulty of using it. Now everything has nice GUIs with point and click abilities.

Why would you buy a Mac just to put Windows on it anyways... Macs are not "Higher Quality" than windows PCs... wanna know why? YOU GUYS USE THE SAME HARDWARE AS US NOW!!! Macs use the same parts as PC machines, but markup the price a rediculous amount. Plus Windows 7 has a new feature (forgot the name) which allows you to pop in an OSX retail disc and install it. So if you REALLY need the Mac OSX, then build a PC and dual boot it.

One last thing, I run quite a few servers on my PC. Those servers do NOT exist on OSX so I wouldn't be able to use them.

Sorry, One more thing: NO RIGHT-CLICK!?!?!? RIGHT-CLICKING IS MY LIFE! HAhahaha

Bedizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Bedizen
Member since 2009 • 2576 Posts

I'm not going to pay more to get less.

MrWednesday14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MrWednesday14
Member since 2009 • 386 Posts

This perfectly sums up my feelings on the topic.

StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

bm1212

I've used both Macs and pcs at work for ten years...windows do not "frequently freeze up". It's the exception, more than the rule. PCs are not any harder to use than Macs...it's a matter of familiarity with the OS. PCs are way easier for the average user to customize. Most video games are optimized for pc, not Mac. PCs cost much less than Macs.

Why would I pay at least twice as much for something that my pc can do just as well?

weblegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 weblegend
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I m here to looking for reason, but non of those answer would make me to buy mac. I perfer common and easy
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

This perfectly sums up my feelings on the topic.

MrWednesday14

HA! That's great. :D