Why does my PC smell like burning plastic?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Tauruslink
Member since 2005 • 6586 Posts

:|

I think it's the power supply because the smell is strongest from there. Any idea what's causing it? And what should I do about it?

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts

:|

I think it's the power supply because the smell is strongest from there. Any idea what's causing it? And what should I do about it?

Tauruslink
Check the power cable coming from the back of your PC. If its hot it just might be the PSU.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Take ur pc, open it up, lay it out on a table, the components themselves without the case. Will be much easier to find the culprit that way. If you can smell it coming from the PSU, pop it open if you have no warranty and look for popped caps and see if you can find a replacement to solder in.
Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Tauruslink

Ok so I think it is the power supply and I think it just died because my computer shut down. I just hope it didn't take any of my other components down with it. :?

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
My guess is it's burning insulation in the PSU.
Jetset314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Jetset314
Member since 2011 • 234 Posts

Ok so I think it is the power supply and I think it just died because my computer shut down. I just hope it didn't take any of my other components down with it. :?

Tauruslink

Thankfully most PSUs have fail safes included in them to keep them from blowing other components. It will still happen from time to time so hope for the best :)

Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Tauruslink

[QUOTE="Tauruslink"]

Jetset314

Thankfully most PSUs have fail safes included in them to keep them from blowing other components. It will still happen from time to time so hope for the best :)

That's good to hear. I guess I have to buy a new one now. Haha just when I didn't want to spend any more money on my PC. :P

Jetset314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Jetset314
Member since 2011 • 234 Posts

[QUOTE="Jetset314"]

[QUOTE="Tauruslink"]

Tauruslink

That's good to hear. I guess I have to buy a new one now. Haha just when I didn't want to spend any more money on my PC. :P

I bid you a fond welcome to the world of building PCs :P

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="Jetset314"]

[QUOTE="Tauruslink"]

Tauruslink

I don't get it... you can take use of your warranty or attempt a repair yourself, why spend $$?

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

the exact same thing happened to me about a year and a half ago, it took my gpu with it

i was basically sitting there working on music and * sniff sniff * hmmmm whys it smell like burning plastic?....
it wasthen thatmy pc just died.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
May I ask what brand name was your PSU?
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Take ur pc, open it up, lay it out on a table, the components themselves without the case. Will be much easier to find the culprit that way. If you can smell it coming from the PSU, pop it open if you have no warranty and look for popped caps and see if you can find a replacement to solder in.JigglyWiggly_
I don't think its a good idea to tell him to open up his psu even unplugged those carry alot of stored electricity.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

get a new one with your warranty. I was going to say that new computers smell a little like that at first, but having your computer crash on you is not a good sign. Take the psu back to the store.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Take ur pc, open it up, lay it out on a table, the components themselves without the case. Will be much easier to find the culprit that way. If you can smell it coming from the PSU, pop it open if you have no warranty and look for popped caps and see if you can find a replacement to solder in.DJ_Headshot

I don't think its a good idea to tell him to open up his psu even unplugged those carry alot of stored electricity.

They are safe to open. Just hit the 0 switch, hit your power button on the case to discharge all the remaining electricity.
swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts

Filled with dust?

Dust makes your componets very hot, that is common sence.

PSU does ansamble lot of dust, particular is the fan is facing upwards.