Why Do Few Games Properly Support Crossfire & SLI?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d57daafadc93
deactivated-5d57daafadc93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d57daafadc93
Member since 2009 • 29 Posts

Im really curious about this, i meen.. we're in 2011 for god's sake, it's not like its a brand new technology and most games these days dont work well with crossfire and SLI. Only a few months after the release of the game do they patch it for proper support... WHY!!?? Are they really that lazy? Or dont they have enough time? Or is it really THAT hard to do??
By now it should be a standard in games to fully support crossfire and SLI.

Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts
You can download SLI profiles for new games. I used evga's profiles personally, but you can make your own profiles in the nVidia control panel as well...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5d57daafadc93

I know that, but that doesnt allways help. Like in Shift 2..

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Not a big enough market/interest to make more devs take advantage of 2 video cards me thinks

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Not a big enough market/interest to make more devs take advantage of 2 video cards me thinks

ChubbyGuy40
This. Except for a handful of enthusiasts, there isn't that much of a market for it. My question is: Is it that hard to support sli/crossfire in games? Just curious. Unlike past generations, sli/crossfire is very affordable nowadays. 2xGTX 460's around the $350 mark is a good example. A lot of people have gone that route. It still doesn't mean they should neglect sli/crossfire because there are people out there that have that kind of setup. Aside from a few issues I had with GTX 460's sli, they performed remarkably well. I able to max out all my games, most of them running 60fps consistently except for a few games (we know them by name. ;P ). But the Crysis 2 flickering was pretty nasty for sli/crossfire users. That kind of stuff could discourage many people.
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -GeordiLaForge-
My question is: Is it that hard to support sli/crossfire in games? Just curious.Elann2008
Nope.. All that you need to do is either use evga's SLI profile update, or make an SLI profile yourself.. Making one yourself only takes about 2 minutes ;) And I have no experience with crossfire, but I know that it's not the devs responsibility to make SLI profiles...
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]My question is: Is it that hard to support sli/crossfire in games? Just curious.-GeordiLaForge-
Nope.. All that you need to do is either use evga's SLI profile update, or make an SLI profile yourself.. Making one yourself only takes about 2 minutes ;) And I have no experience with crossfire, but I know that it's not the devs responsibility to make SLI profiles...

Wouldn't the engine have to be coded to be able to take advantage, or even USE 2-4 GPUs though? And I'm pretty sure SLI/Crossfire render in different ways so it'd be tough getting it to work for both technologies.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="-GeordiLaForge-"][QUOTE="Elann2008"]My question is: Is it that hard to support sli/crossfire in games? Just curious.ChubbyGuy40

Wouldn't the engine have to be coded to be able to take advantage, or even USE 2-4 GPUs though? And I'm pretty sure SLI/Crossfire render in different ways so it'd be tough getting it to work for both technologies.

This was what I meant to say in my original post. I'm well aware of the sli profiles you could create and all that jazz. Evga's sli profile I've used for recent games like Crysis 2. Bulletstorm's lack of sli/crossfire support for 1200p resolution clearly proves this point. Runs fine at 1080p, 60fps without a hitch, but at 1200p, it dips into the 40's and the frame rate is all over the place. So this does mean that the developer has to code it in order for it to even work properly in the first place.

A single GPU's getting more FPS over the superior sli/crossfire setup is a clear indication that a game doesn't support sli. And making your own profile doesn't always fix it.

-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -GeordiLaForge-

[QUOTE="-GeordiLaForge-"][QUOTE="Elann2008"]My question is: Is it that hard to support sli/crossfire in games? Just curious.ChubbyGuy40

Nope, the drivers are coded to take advantage of multiple GPU's. All that you have to do is choose the program in the nVidia control panel and force alternate frame rendering (SLI)... And I've never used crossfire, but it's supposed to be just as easy to enable it in the ATI Catalyst control panel. There are supposedly driver issues with some games though...
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="-GeordiLaForge-"]Nope.. All that you need to do is either use evga's SLI profile update, or make an SLI profile yourself.. Making one yourself only takes about 2 minutes ;) And I have no experience with crossfire, but I know that it's not the devs responsibility to make SLI profiles...-GeordiLaForge-

Nope, the drivers are coded to take advantage of multiple GPU's. All that you have to do is choose the program in the nVidia control panel and force alternate frame rendering (SLI)... And I've never used crossfire, but it's supposed to be just as easy to enable it in the ATI Catalyst control panel. There are supposedly driver issues with some games though...

But what if the game isn't coded to use alternate frame rendering?

It should be both drivers and engine. Only way to explain why some games like WoW and as Elann said, Bulletstorm, perform better with a single video card instead of 2 forced. Also explains why some games like BC2 have problems with 3 monitors (With Nvidia SLI) at extreme resolutions. Could be an engine limitation or SLI profile from the sounds of it, as not even Nvidia knows why. Yet it works perfectly fine with Crossfire.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d57daafadc93

sigh.. why cant nvidia and amd/ati just merge and make it easier for eveyone=P i cant see the wrong in that, they would either earn the same or more then they do now..

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

sigh.. why cant nvidia and amd/ati just merge and make it easier for eveyone=P i cant see the wrong in that, they would either earn the same or more then they do now..

Zedrake

Because thats stupid, lets see you pay $1500 for a mid-range GPU, I want another GPU manufacturer like Intel or someone, more competition is always the best for the consumer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d57daafadc93

true i guess=\ forgot that companies only care about money..

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#14 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

This is making me scared to get another GTX 460.D=

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
If one guy somehow got 5 cards running together would you expect games to fully support him? SLI/Crossfire is a very limited market as not a lot of computer owners are gamers and even less of them have SLI so it's a tiny market to cater to and even though they are starting to cater by replying to demand of "We want SLI support" on their forums it's just not common enough for developers to spend time and money on it especially when only one card is enough for most if not all games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d57daafadc93

even when sli dont work well in a game u CAN disable one of the cards in the driver menu and itll run fine. but yeah.. sometimes u have to wait a while to playa game with both gpu's... i have a 5970 card and absolutely love it. mostly i run all games on the highest with 60 fps, but every oncein a while a game is released that have problems with crossfire/sli. but they do get fixed sooner or later.

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts

I want another GPU manufacturer like Intel or someone, more competition is always the best for the consumer.

GTR12
Yes, Intel into the discreate market would be great. IBM and VIA could also join in, but today AMD and Nvidia have a big advantage because they basicly own the whole discrete market apart for less than a single % for VIA and matrox. Intel is perhaps the biggest GPU maker today, they have continiued to make low end GPU's for basic use, today they are getting more and more power but the jump to enthusiast graphic is still giant.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

mitu123

Na dont worry about , Ive been running SLI since 2008 , I have only ran into one major problem with SLI and one game and that was The Witcher, which was an easy fix by disabling SLI before going into the game.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

04dcarraher

Na dont worry about , Ive been running SLI since 2008 , I have only ran into one major problem with SLI and one game and that was The Witcher, which was an easy fix by disabling SLI before going into the game.

Hmm, fair enough, though I know The Witcher seems to have problems.
SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts
Sli sucks, might aswell spend a little more and get a dual gpu card.
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

[QUOTE="GTR12"]

I want another GPU manufacturer like Intel or someone, more competition is always the best for the consumer.

swehunt

Yes, Intel into the discreate market would be great. IBM and VIA could also join in, but today AMD and Nvidia have a big advantage because they basicly own the whole discrete market apart for less than a single % for VIA and matrox. Intel is perhaps the biggest GPU maker today, they have continiued to make low end GPU's for basic use, today they are getting more and more power but the jump to enthusiast graphic is still giant.

Hopefully Intel will more, now that they H chipset for SB, and it has on-board graphics, maybe just maybe they will do something awesome for IB, and that will kickstart them, also wouldn't mind another CPU manufacturer, maybe Nvidia with Tegra3 will be good for ULV machines. They are pretty good in the mobile market already (mobile phones).

-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -GeordiLaForge-
Sli sucks, might aswell spend a little more and get a dual gpu card.SPBoss
Eh? If you've got a decent CPU, SLI provides an amazing jump in performance...
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 04dcarraher
[QUOTE="SPBoss"]Sli sucks, might aswell spend a little more and get a dual gpu card.-GeordiLaForge-

Ya, I nearly doubled my performance in most games when I went SLI.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mitu123
[QUOTE="SPBoss"]Sli sucks, might aswell spend a little more and get a dual gpu card.-GeordiLaForge-

What's good enough ghz to achieve that? Doesn't it depend on what kind of cpu it is?
bostonfan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bostonfan05
Member since 2008 • 154 Posts

true i guess=\ forgot that companies only care about money..

Zedrake

If a company did not care about money they would quickly be put out of business by a company that did. Man, this is America where capitalism and innovation are the engines of prosperity...just saying. Obviously AMD-Nvidia would jack up prices if their was no competitor; they would be foolish not to. Additionally, advances in technology would slow significantly.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 04dcarraher
[QUOTE="-GeordiLaForge-"][QUOTE="SPBoss"]Sli sucks, might aswell spend a little more and get a dual gpu card.mitu123

What's good enough ghz to achieve that? Doesn't it depend on what kind of cpu it is?

Id say any up todate 3 GHz+ Dual core CPU. Or 2.6 ghz+ quad core. Before you see any real cpu limiting factors
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"][QUOTE="-GeordiLaForge-"]Eh? If you've got a decent CPU, SLI provides an amazing jump in performance...04dcarraher

Id say any up todate 3 GHz+ Dual core CPU. Or 2.6 ghz+ quad core. Before you see any real cpu limiting factors

Ok, thanks, I'll see what I can do in the future, I have a Athlon X4 645 as well though I'm doing a new build but reusing parts.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="mitu123"] What's good enough ghz to achieve that? Doesn't it depend on what kind of cpu it is?mitu123

Ok, thanks, I'll see what I can do in the future, I have a Athlon X4 645 as well though I'm doing a new build but reusing parts.

The Athlon X4 is a fast little cpu, my father and one of my buddies has one. My father has a 635 and its only like 10% slower in encoding video vs my Phenom 2.

AdamK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AdamK47
Member since 2003 • 1127 Posts

I've been pretty good at creating my own SLI profiles. This is with a combination of the nVidia control panel, nVidia Inspector, and the GeForce SLI Profile tool. Most new games will have an SLI profile when using updated drivers anyway.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Sli has it issues but in the months i have had it. I have only had a few issues. And most of those were caused by poor ports, or could be fixed quickly.

It is nice i have the power of a 580 for a 350 dollars. Plus if you can't fix it, evga has been semi good on putting out profiles

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] Id say any up todate 3 GHz+ Dual core CPU. Or 2.6 ghz+ quad core. Before you see any real cpu limiting factors04dcarraher

The Athlon X4 is a fast little cpu, my father and one of my buddies has one. My father has a 635 and its only like 10% slower in encoding video vs my Phenom 2.

That's true and it's done well for gaming for me, but I'm upgrading to either a Bulldozer or i5-2400-2500k within a few months while I give this one to my brothers who don't game on PC.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"] Ok, thanks, I'll see what I can do in the future, I have a Athlon X4 645 as well though I'm doing a new build but reusing parts.

mitu123

That's true and it's done well for gaming for me, but I'm upgrading to either a Bulldozer or i5-2400-2500k within a few months while I give this one to my brothers who don't game on PC.

If it was me I would hang on to that Athlon X4 and pick up an AM3+ motherboard and upgrade to a bulldozer when you need too.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

04dcarraher

If it was me I would hang on to that Athlon X4 and pick up an AM3+ motherboard and upgrade to a bulldozer when you need too.

Yeah, next month will be interesting, I need like aASUS M5A99X EVO since it does AM3+ and SLI.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
probably because not many people run dual cards so they focus on making the game work well on single cards. Dual cards are a waste until you get resolutions over 1080p if you ask me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5d57daafadc93

its not a waste. unless ur a person that likes to play games below 60 fps...