Who still uses windows XP (poll)

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#1 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts
Ok, now that vista has been around for a while, i'm curious to see what is the primary OS of pc gamers. for a while, xp has been the undisputed king of gaming, but vista is getting better, and unlocks DX10. what do you use?
naskott212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 naskott212
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
LOL. If want games have XP.Vista is only for work NO GAMES on Vista.
Pinkyimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 Pinkyimp
Member since 2006 • 3623 Posts
IF BF3 is vista only...then i will upgrade to vista..but other than that no i still use XP and have no plans to change..
oldskooler79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 oldskooler79
Member since 2004 • 1632 Posts

IF BF3 is vista only...then i will upgrade to vista..but other than that no i still use XP and have no plans to change..Pinkyimp

I'm sure folks are saying the same thing regarding Alan Wake. But you know there's gonna be away around this. I suspect it'll become playable on xp within the week of release.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17882 Posts

XP and happy. it ticking along nicely, everythign is working and games are running fine. vista just doesent offer any major reason to upgrade for me. yea it has aero...but id end up turning that off after a while to be honest. DX10 hasnt really done anything interesting itself and devs are very reluctant to support it. after that......i just dont see a reason to upgrade.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

LOL. If want games have XP.Vista is only for work NO GAMES on Vista.naskott212

This is worse than saying that Vista is crap compared to XP. How the F would you use Vista for work when most people complain that it needs a lot of resources? and those people usually have computers that are at least 5 times more powerful than your average PC used for working. And next time try to make a valid point, not "Vista is only for work NO Games on Vista", I know what you meant but it really doesn't make any sense :|(what you wrote). All games work on Vista except a few like Kotor 1 and 2.

I'm happily using Vista. I'd actually want to see some people that say BS about Vista, not things like the post above at least the BS about Vista makes sense, kinda,

gun65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 gun65
Member since 2004 • 3312 Posts
I still use XP as I have heard very bad things about vista.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
XP and im happy with.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 with_teeth26
Well, so far i looks like most pc gamers still use xp unsuprisingly. i have xp on my gaming desktop and vista on my laptop. i don't mind vista, i just don't have a very powerful desktop and i don't think vista would run very well on it. also, most performance tests show that games generally run better on xp (better fps with the same hardware). the only vist exclusive right now is halo 2, which isn't a very good game, not good enough to upgrade for at any rate. vista has some cool features, but xp just seems more solid and reliable a OS. just my opinion.
Rickylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rickylee
Member since 2002 • 1342 Posts
I have 2 computers with XP and one with Vista HPx64. They all work great except one with XP and I'm gonna do a reinstall. I've never had a problem with an OS on a new install. Only when I've tried to upgrade.
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

I will use XP until 7 comes out... and beyond if 7 turns out to be as big a suck as Vista.

BTW, My laptop has Vista, so I know how truly bad it is.....

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts
i have vista at home and although i have it setup to look like windows xp (i like the structure of xp better) it runs all my games fine. obviously the people who talk smack about vista gaming don't game on vista and just want to think they're better than those of us who do maybe?
--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts
I use both.
artiedeadat40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 artiedeadat40
Member since 2007 • 1695 Posts
I have been using Vista for a while now with no issues. Most people are just afraid of change. I have seen no proof that xp runs most games any better than vista (recently).If you have a decent rig vista runs great. It seems like it uses alot of ram because it allways uses around 34% of your ram just for apps that you use alot so they load up faster. It does not use this ram in game. If you want a 64bit os vista accually has more support than xp.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="oldskooler79"]

[QUOTE="Pinkyimp"]IF BF3 is vista only...then i will upgrade to vista..but other than that no i still use XP and have no plans to change..SEANMCAD

I'm sure folks are saying the same thing regarding Alan Wake. But you know there's gonna be away around this. I suspect it'll become playable on xp within the week of release.

hacking a game that is designed for Vista (most likely meaning DirectX 10.1) so it will work on XP thinking that the end result will be a better gaming experience is....whats the word?...reatarded.

no i mean technically retarded

bf3 won't be vista only, regardless. internet rumors. EA doesn't even use vista themselves, as far as i know.
artiedeadat40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 artiedeadat40
Member since 2007 • 1695 Posts

I will use XP until 7 comes out... and beyond if 7 turns out to be as big a suck as Vista.

Johnny_Rock

Install sp1 and disable aero and it will run fine.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts
[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

artiedeadat40

Install sp1 and disable aero and it will run fine.

My major issue is how it runs older games. I know that you are going to run into that as games age on any OS, but it's just really bad on Vista, IMO. And as I have over 300 PC games, a majority of which being made for Windows 98 and before, this becomes an issue. But having most of them work, with a little elbow grease, on XP, I have no reason to go to XP on my tower.... DirectX 10 isn't that big of a draw for me.

P.S. Artie Lang forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dark_being

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#21 dark_being
Member since 2004 • 3804 Posts
When Vista'll get more games, and improves it's functions (and when Alan Wake will finally come out), than I'll switch ot vista. right now there is no reason to do so...
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

It depends how zealous Vista fanboys are at chipping away at my common sense, I've been convinced to use Vista numerous times only to run back to XP after it struck the last nerve.

Right now I am on a fresh install of XP recovering from my last Vista experience.

When Vista'll get more games, and improves it's functions (and when Alan Wake will finally come out), than I'll switch ot vista. right now there is no reason to do so...dark_being

There is absolutely no reason for Alan Wake to not work on XP, it is only Vista exclusive because Microsoft became the publisher. It is really sad they have to go to such lengths, to actively 'force' adoption, if Vista was so good they wouldn't have to.

dark_being

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#23 dark_being
Member since 2004 • 3804 Posts
True... but what can you do...
Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#24 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts
Happy with XP, my Experience with vista was terrible.
rb2610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 rb2610
Member since 2007 • 3325 Posts
There is no other :( I use Ubuntu (yes for games) although I do still have XP for the games that don't work on Ubuntu, Crysis, UT3. But I'm happy playing Oblivion and DoW on Ubuntu for now :P
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
I still use XP.
Paulioiscool1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Paulioiscool1
Member since 2003 • 30 Posts
Dual-booting both. But I find myself on XP more often.
xInfinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xInfinity
Member since 2003 • 48 Posts

I still use XP and have no intention of upgrading in the immediate future.

Since DirectX 11 has been announced, I'll wait to see if the improvements are worth it before I decide to upgrade.

Though I may wait even longer, since it seems like PC's are more readily moving towards 64-bit architecture. Going to see how that pans out through the end of the year.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
I have both XP and Vista and I regret buying Vista. I use Vista to occasionally check out DX10 demos. If I could have my money back, I'd take it.
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

I'm happily using XP. I've had Vista since it was released, but haven't installed it.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11792 Posts
for games vista all the way vista 64bit for my gamming pc, and for composing music, and recording, im currently using windows xp, but once more of the production base software becomes compatible with vista i will upgrade.
Avatar image for elemental_drago
elemental_drago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 elemental_drago
Member since 2004 • 1816 Posts

[QUOTE="naskott212"]LOL. If want games have XP.Vista is only for work NO GAMES on Vista.DanielDust

This is worse than saying that Vista is crap compared to XP. How the F would you use Vista for work when most people complain that it needs a lot of resources? and those people usually have computers that are at least 5 times more powerful than your average PC used for working. And next time try to make a valid point, not "Vista is only for work NO Games on Vista", I know what you meant but it really doesn't make any sense :|(what you wrote). All games work on Vista except a few like Kotor 1 and 2.

I'm happily using Vista. I'd actually want to see some people that say BS about Vista, not things like the post above at least the BS about Vista makes sense, kinda,

Thank you. I see so many people bashing Vista, but the truth of it all is Vista is the superior operating system. I saw many, many complaints that Vista required better hardware when it first arrived. Well no s*** people! It's a better OS. You can't expect the rest of the world to advance while you sit high and mighty with the same crap. Short and sweet? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

"Oh but where are the drivers? MS really dropped the ball there!" No, MS did their part (by making the new OS) and the rest of the world dragged their feet. Any tech in the industry worth his pocket protector knew the difference and was angered by this. We want the more stable OS with better security features, but we can't afford to buy all new computers (ranging between hundred and a few thousand computers, depending where you work. So no, it is not built for corporate environments. It's not cost effective, no matter how much we want it.)

The only reason I'm not running Vista is b/c I don't feel like installing a new OS (done that enough times at work to get my fill and then some). I've spent a good amount of time with Vista, though, and researched it a good amount, and it really and truly is better. MS learned from previous entries and took notes from what they learned. Every complaint I see has a valid purpose for being there. Take for example the complaint regarding Vista asking users about every install. Maybe it was taken a bit far, but so many people complained about XPs vulnerabilities and software being installed w/o the users knowledge, this was the logical next step. I work in IT and see this a lot. Users just don't understand safe internet practices like we (who visist PC forums) do. They don't understand what happens. Now, with Vista, they know when a site is installing something, and if nothing else, it's their own darn fault when they accept it.

ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts

true man. i had vista...found out only like 6 out 13 PC games of mine dont work on vista....so i quickly installed XP back

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

[QUOTE="naskott212"]LOL. If want games have XP.Vista is only for work NO GAMES on Vista.elemental_drago

Thank you. I see so many people bashing Vista, but the truth of it all is Vista is the superior operating system.

Superior at what? Being a resource hog? Being useless? A waste of money? I agree completely.

ForsbergFan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ForsbergFan21
Member since 2003 • 2908 Posts
I use Vista and I have no problems here. I was dual booting at one point but after using Vista for a while, it was so hard to go back WinXP. As for game performance, the difference is pretty minimal except for the rare game like ArmA but the mainstream games like Bioshock, Call of Duty 4, World In Conflict and Crysis etc run exactly the same as if they were on WinXP from my experience.
nightwraith40k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nightwraith40k
Member since 2008 • 475 Posts
Getting a new computer might as well get Vista. There is nothing wrong with it just don't try to run it with 512 mb RAM. min 2 gb RAM is what I'm getting
Big_Bad_Vlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Big_Bad_Vlad
Member since 2004 • 33 Posts
I guess looking at the results it should be more something along the lines of : "Who's sucker enough to game on Vista ?" no ?
Avatar image for elemental_drago
elemental_drago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 elemental_drago
Member since 2004 • 1816 Posts
[QUOTE="elemental_drago"][QUOTE="DanielDust"]

[QUOTE="naskott212"]LOL. If want games have XP.Vista is only for work NO GAMES on Vista.GodLovesDead

Thank you. I see so many people bashing Vista, but the truth of it all is Vista is the superior operating system.

Superior at what? Being a resource hog? Being useless? A waste of money? I agree completely.

You know, there was considerably more to my post than what you qouted, is it safe to assume that you didn't read the rest?

Seriously, do a little research, read the recent article, etc, etc, etc and you will see too that it is better. And as for it being a "resource hog" well, it brings more to the table. It has a more advanced UI, DX10, etc, so yeah, it's going to require more resources. Once again, you can't have your cake and eat it too. We all wanted more, we got it, and now we need to pay for it. Simple common sense. If you want something more advanced, you gotta be prepared to pay for it. Such is the way of electronics. Not every advancement is going to run on the same old hardware. To take it to an extreme, do you think the same hardware that was "top of the line" back in the days of true-blue-DOS would run XP and Crysis on top of it?

-AK47-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 -AK47-
Member since 2007 • 3277 Posts
Xp user here.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 with_teeth26

[QUOTE="with_teeth26"]Well, so far i looks like most pc gamers still use xp unsuprisingly. i have xp on my gaming desktop and vista on my laptop. i don't mind vista, i just don't have a very powerful desktop and i don't think vista would run very well on it. also, most performance tests show that games generally run better on xp (better fps with the same hardware). the only vist exclusive right now is halo 2, which isn't a very good game, not good enough to upgrade for at any rate. vista has some cool features, but xp just seems more solid and reliable a OS. just my opinion. SEANMCAD

Quick question. Although this wasnt the case when Vista tests first started but lets consider this example for the near future.

Game tested on Vista and XP both with the same hardware. Only vista is running the game with Directx 11 and the other on DirectX 9.0c. XP performs better.

Which setup is truely better? The new version of DirectX will most likely demand more processor but will most likely look better. So which is better? XP or Vista.

Devil is in the details

depends what you find more important. performance or visual quality. also, you have to figure out if you can afford the hardware that will make the next version of dx work properly. if you hold performance above all else, stay with xp. right now, the difference between dx9.0c and dx10 is negligable (minimal, trying to sound fancy), and right now i think most pc gamers find that the performance hit is not worth the minor visual upgrades. if the next version of dx is a big step forwards, i think many more gamers will be willing to upgrade, as long as the performance hit is not too great. if you have the hardware, of course you will go with the more advanced operating system. but if you are on a budget, xp just makes more sense.

KudoS17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KudoS17
Member since 2008 • 1050 Posts
using vista
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DanielDust

Thank you. I see so many people bashing Vista, but the truth of it all is Vista is the superior operating system. I saw many, many complaints that Vista required better hardware when it first arrived. Well no s*** people! It's a better OS. You can't expect the rest of the world to advance while you sit high and mighty with the same crap. Short and sweet? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

"Oh but where are the drivers? MS really dropped the ball there!" No, MS did their part (by making the new OS) and the rest of the world dragged their feet. Any tech in the industry worth his pocket protector knew the difference and was angered by this. We want the more stable OS with better security features, but we can't afford to buy all new computers (ranging between hundred and a few thousand computers, depending where you work. So no, it is not built for corporate environments. It's not cost effective, no matter how much we want it.)

The only reason I'm not running Vista is b/c I don't feel like installing a new OS (done that enough times at work to get my fill and then some). I've spent a good amount of time with Vista, though, and researched it a good amount, and it really and truly is better. MS learned from previous entries and took notes from what they learned. Every complaint I see has a valid purpose for being there. Take for example the complaint regarding Vista asking users about every install. Maybe it was taken a bit far, but so many people complained about XPs vulnerabilities and software being installed w/o the users knowledge, this was the logical next step. I work in IT and see this a lot. Users just don't understand safe internet practices like we (who visist PC forums) do. They don't understand what happens. Now, with Vista, they know when a site is installing something, and if nothing else, it's their own darn fault when they accept it.

elemental_drago

I for one agree with everything you said. From my personal experience Vista is more stable and more secure (not because there aren't viruses for it like some people say, few that say that, but there are more than enough to not notice). Vista works faster for me and that's in desktop not to mention applications like Photoshop, older games work just fine, games from 94-98, new games work just as good as they would on XP (except Crysis that one has bad performance on the same settings, on high, not very high compared to very high tweak, just high Vista vs high XP).

I've used Vista for 8 months and I only had one virus, one that would infect the svchost system files and that is something that on XP you can't get rid of unless you reinstall your OS and if you don't some programs will have problems running or they won't work at all (I don't remember the name of the error, because I didn't use XP for a long time, but it was something like Win32.dll error, for an OS that has a virus or trojan in the svchost system files and it's programs that don't work + the themes won't work after a while and because of the svchost files infection, internet and networking won't work) and in max 3 months you will need to reinstall the OS and over time XP starts to run slower and slower, in 8 months I would have installed XP 2 times (I dual boot now so I've been "using" XP for 8 months technically speaking, but nope, I booted on XP only once, when I checked if it works after I installed it, so I used it for only 1 day.

About Vista asking for every install if you accept or decline, I agree it helps especially in that example that you gave, XP would happily install malware, addware, etc (without an antivirus) and I truly believe that these questions save a lot of people from difficult situations, sometimes maybe you do something that you shouldn't and if it would complete, you would make a terrible mistake, sometimes something bad would happen because you have no experience and that feature might save .

modai119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 modai119
Member since 2007 • 531 Posts

Using vista x64. XP 64bit has lots of issues. Also I'm surprised I can run Fallout 1 & 2 with vista w/o admin and compatibility mode!!

Gonna break down how this XP vs Vista works...

Computer illiterates = Vista good

Computer illiterates who uses comp just to play games = Vista bad

I built my PC late last year and installed x64 Vista and didn't have BSOD frenzy like what I had with XP. I have both xp and vista and for this particular comp I use Vista x64 is a lot more stable than XP.

Vista is not bad. People complain about it because its expensive to upgrade. Same thing with Windows XP/98/ME/95 etc.

rob1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 rob1101
Member since 2004 • 3435 Posts
I am using both now. Honestly the only thing that is even keeping me on vista is the 64 bit support. Other than that really there is no point.
Kolossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Kolossi
Member since 2007 • 789 Posts

I wont stop using XP until Microsoft doesnt support it anymore, or there starts to be too many Vista/Windows 7-or-whatever only games.

Qf1gh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Qf1gh
Member since 2007 • 54 Posts

All games work on Vista except a few like Kotor 1 and 2.

DanielDust

FAIL

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DanielDust
[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

All games work on Vista except a few like Kotor 1 and 2.

Qf1gh

FAIL

Give me some examples or I will say the same thing to you, failure :|

Justrinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Justrinx
Member since 2007 • 53 Posts
I am very happy with XP, but I would like to try Vista even thou some people say its very bad.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
I don't mind Vista. It just goes crappy some days
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#50 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

....says the guy who has never even seen it personally.

Vista's troubles are long gone and reports that it sucks are mere propaganda spread by a bunch of people based on what they heard from the next guy. The reports that is has mass problems are bogus. That is not to say you won't find a person here and there who has problems with it but you can say the same of XP. Vista is extemely stable and most people having problems have crap systems and/or are trying to play Windows 98 era games on it.

Saying that, is it worth the upgrade? That is debateable and a personal choice, for me I am happy I did it. I had the money and the time so why not? If you are hard pressed for money/time/hassle of installing a new OS it is probably not worth it to you.