Who is the best FPS developer???

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gogators4life
Member since 2006 • 4654 Posts
Now we all know that Relic is the king of RTS developer(Homeworld, DOW, COH says enough). Who is the best FPS developer?
-Socrates-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 -Socrates-
Member since 2008 • 290 Posts

there is no best and there will never be a best but a great company is Id software they revoultionized the FPS industry

error11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 error11
Member since 2006 • 7163 Posts
Valve, by far.
gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gogators4life
A very poor opinion??? :(
-Socrates-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -Socrates-
oh my bad ill edit it wrong post :P
harrisi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 harrisi17
Member since 2004 • 4010 Posts

The half life games have adventure tied into them, and a good story, which makes them best.

Next is crytek because of their passion to make the greatest looking games while keeping them fun.

Third is Infinity Ward for making war combat really intense and fun, even if they rehash old stuff here and there.

vash47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 vash47
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts

Monolith by far.

And instead of putting Condemned in the poll, you should put the NOLF games, pure awesomeness that can't be beaten even today.

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Colonel_Cool
Member since 2006 • 1335 Posts

who says relic is the best thats an opinion a very poor opinion but still an opinion

there is no best and there will never be a best but a great is Id software they revoultionized the FPS industry

-Socrates-
I would have to agree that Relic is hands-down the best rts developer today. Anyway, id is a really great fps developer, but they haven't come out with anything truly outstanding in a long time. While Doom 3 was a great game, I'm sure everyone could agree that it is in no way an example of the best fps games in recent years. Their upcoming game Rage though does look great. Monolith has always made some really awesome fps's. FEAR had some of the most amazing fps firefights in a game as well as incredible ai, but the only downfall is that the fighting was repetetive. Crytek has a pretty good track record, with Far Cry in 04 and the recent Crysis which is a really cutting edge game that was a lot of fun too. These are my three top FPS developers.
Fayt445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Fayt445
Member since 2005 • 693 Posts
Valve no contest.
Siofen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Siofen
Member since 2008 • 987 Posts

I'd say overall, bungie has been my favorite developer for FPS.

Btw, with the crappy multiplayer that Relic is always happy to provide, I'd say they're far from being the best RTS developer.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#11 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Valve: No contest.
error11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 error11

A very poor opinion??? :(gogators4life

What's that suppose to mean?

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts

where's epic? epic deserves it over iw, imo. and where's id software?!!!!

and monolith should be more noted for nolf and fear, not condemned.

but i vote valve. monolith is a close second, with id a distant third and epic an even further distant fourth and crytek a distant fifth (crysis was great, but i didn't like far cry as much; plus, they only made 2 games).

gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gogators4life

[QUOTE="gogators4life"]A very poor opinion??? :(error11

Socrates said that, me saying Relic is the best developer is a very poor opinion, he edited it, so you didn't see that.

error11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 error11
[QUOTE="error11"]

[QUOTE="gogators4life"]A very poor opinion??? :(gogators4life

Socrates said that, me saying Relic is the best developer is a very poor opinion, he edited it, so you didn't see that.

oh. sorry for the misunderstanding! :P

-Socrates-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -Socrates-
[QUOTE="error11"]

[QUOTE="gogators4life"]A very poor opinion??? :(gogators4life

no man im not flaming it was the wrong post

thing is i have like multiple tabs opened in firefox and iv been doing other stuff on gamepsot.com my bad if it sounded wrong

gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gogators4life

I didn't take offense, so don't worry. :D

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
All-time: id Software or VALVe
Right now: GSC Game World and Crytek
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts
This a joke or something. Any veteran of FPS will tell you that ID software is the best follow by Epic Games when it comes to making a fps.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 biggest_loser

All-time: id Software or VALVe
foxhound_fox

Crytek? After one major game.

Interesting. I'm not saying its wrong certainly but its a big statement.

-Socrates-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -Socrates-

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]All-time: id Software or VALVe
biggest_loser

very true

i think valve is a great company but its more dedicated to storyline although a couple ofgood fps is RO, CS, and DOD: S

but i stick to my post when i say ID software really made an impact on the FPS genre but revoultionized competitive gaming and multiplayer gaming

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fireandcloud

biggest_loser

sorry if it seems like i'm arguing with you only (but i only do it cuz i like talking with you ;)), but he did write 'recent', so i'd have to agree with his statement - i'd personally put crytek with valve as best recent developers.

but watch out for id software - i have a feeling rage is going to kick ***. but then again, i have the same feeling for project origin and episode 3, so id has some stiff competition.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 biggest_loser
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

-Socrates-

very true

i think valve is a great company but its more dedicated to storyline although a couple ofgood fps is RO, CS, and DOD: S

but i stick to my post when i say ID software really made an impact on the FPS genre but revoultionized competitive gaming and multiplayer gaming

Sure ID have had a huge impact with Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake and that can never be replaced or overshadowed.

But where is ID now? Quake 4?

And surely Half-Life 1 has had the most profound impact on the FPS genre in terms of immersion, story telling, cinematics, AI, level design.

And in talking about competitive multiplayer: Counter Strike - love it or hate it its one of the most famous and popular MP games of all time.

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fireandcloud
quake 4 was by raven, actually, so that doesn't even count as part of id software arsenal. id's last game was doom 3, which pales in comparison to quake 4. the game before that was quake 3 arena, which paled in comparison to unreal tournament. so yeah, id is slipping a bit, but i have a feeling that they're coming back big time with rage.
-Socrates-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -Socrates-
[QUOTE="-Socrates-"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

biggest_loser

very true

Sure ID have had a huge impact with Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake and that can never be replaced or overshadowed.

But where is ID now? Quake 4?

And surely Half-Life 1 has had the most profound impact on the FPS genre in terms of immersion, story telling, cinematics, AI, level design.

And in talking about competitive multiplayer: Counter Strike - love it or hate it its one of the most famous and popular MP games of all time.

sure is i cant deny that valve is great i love them

im just saying that IMO Id was the company that started it all though more ppl pay more attention to Valve since they are doing alot more then Id

Id had the long spotlight it was great game after game after game (wolfenstein 3d doom doom 1 quake 1 quake 2 quake 3 doom 3 and meh quake 4 is alright)

and valve impressed us all with half life but i think its great success was in the storyline and here and there with the gameplay but when half life 2 came out the story was good but the gameplay caught up i mean wow those physics were amazing.

i have to say its a tough choice to choose from teh two (at least for me) i will say this tho half life - story 9.8 quake story - 3.5 (doom deserves about an 8.)

but IMO no doubt iu would givefor multiplayer quake 9.6 and half life about 8

-Socrates-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -Socrates-

quake 4 was by raven, actually, so that doesn't even count as part of id software arsenal. id's last game was doom 3, which pales in comparison to quake 4. the game before that was quake 3 arena, which paled in comparison to unreal tournament. so yeah, id is slipping a bit, but i have a feeling that they're coming back big time with rage.fireandcloud

Doom3 and quake 4 were also made by raven software but they still belong to Ids *arsenal* if you will since they are the brains behind it.

Ps2stony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 Ps2stony
Member since 2006 • 1888 Posts
I think Infinity Ward is the best, and that they make the best games which you should buy several copies of. Trust me, I know, I work for Activision.
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 fireandcloud

[QUOTE="fireandcloud"]quake 4 was by raven, actually, so that doesn't even count as part of id software arsenal. id's last game was doom 3, which pales in comparison to quake 4. the game before that was quake 3 arena, which paled in comparison to unreal tournament. so yeah, id is slipping a bit, but i have a feeling that they're coming back big time with rage.-Socrates-

Doom3 and quake 4 were also made by raven software but they still belong to Ids *arsenal* if you will since they are the brains behind it.

no, doom 3 was developed by id.

including quake 4 in id's aresenal would be like saying crysis is by ea. that's just plain wrong, in more ways than one.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 biggest_loser
I thought Id and Raven worked together on Quake 4...maybe not then?
Ps2stony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ps2stony

quake 4 was by raven, actually, so that doesn't even count as part of id software arsenal. id's last game was doom 3, which pales in comparison to quake 4. the game before that was quake 3 arena, which paled in comparison to unreal tournament. so yeah, id is slipping a bit, but i have a feeling that they're coming back big time with rage.fireandcloud
I've noticed that whatever fireandcloud says is the best opinion around.

The best opinion around if I wasn't here! Trust me, I taught fireandcloud everything he knows. fireandcloud, hit 'em with one of my many very famous and very funny punch lines. Use the one I taught you yesterday.

-Socrates-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 -Socrates-
[QUOTE="-Socrates-"]

[QUOTE="fireandcloud"]quake 4 was by raven, actually, so that doesn't even count as part of id software arsenal. id's last game was doom 3, which pales in comparison to quake 4. the game before that was quake 3 arena, which paled in comparison to unreal tournament. so yeah, id is slipping a bit, but i have a feeling that they're coming back big time with rage.fireandcloud

oh my bad i guess its just that im back to playing quake 4 and it reminds me oh so much of doom 3

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 fireandcloud

[QUOTE="fireandcloud"]quake 4 was by raven, actually, so that doesn't even count as part of id software arsenal. id's last game was doom 3, which pales in comparison to quake 4. the game before that was quake 3 arena, which paled in comparison to unreal tournament. so yeah, id is slipping a bit, but i have a feeling that they're coming back big time with rage.Ps2stony

The best opinion around if I wasn't here! Trust me, I taught fireandcloud everything he knows. fireandcloud, hit 'em with one of my many very famous and very funny punch lines. Use the one I taught you yesterday.

thanks stony. i wish i remembered everything you taught me, but i'm afraid i forget easily.

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 fireandcloud

I thought Id and Raven worked together on Quake 4...maybe not then? biggest_loser

id sort of oversaw the whole project (and i'm sure gave their input as well), but raven clearly was the lead developer for the game.

-Socrates-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -Socrates-
[QUOTE="-Socrates-"]

[QUOTE="fireandcloud"]quake 4 was by raven, actually, so that doesn't even count as part of id software arsenal. id's last game was doom 3, which pales in comparison to quake 4. the game before that was quake 3 arena, which paled in comparison to unreal tournament. so yeah, id is slipping a bit, but i have a feeling that they're coming back big time with rage.fireandcloud

including quake 4 in id's aresenal would be like saying crysis is by ea. that's just plain wrong, in more ways than one.

how can you say that

quake belongs to Id software and quake 4 is no different they used the same gameplay as quake 3 with some changeds here and there (crouch sliding, heavy feeling to it) but Id worked on it to its not like raven could of made quake 4 without ther being a quake 1 2 and 3 (gamelplay wise)

just imagine if Id never existed hypotethically i doubt raven could have come ou with such good quake stuff on ther own

Ps2stony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ps2stony
[QUOTE="Ps2stony"]

thanks stony. i wish i remembered everything you taught me, but i'm afraid i forget easily.

Remember what you have to do when you forget something? Pretend that you're anti-stony and flame me over and over again, then get banned like a certain anti-stony flamer mfsa. And I still can't believe BigL made a blog post about mfsa. He's lucky he's Australian, or else I don't know if I could keep talking to him on xFire...
-Socrates-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -Socrates-

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]I thought Id and Raven worked together on Quake 4...maybe not then? fireandcloud

id sort of oversaw the whole project (and i'm sure gave their input as well), but raven clearly was the lead developer for the game.

you have it all wrong Id is the brains behind it they created the gameplay and the way it was meant to be played and Raven made whatever Id told them to make

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 fireandcloud
[QUOTE="fireandcloud"]

-Socrates-

how can you say that

quake belongs to Id software and quake 4 is no different they used the same gameplay as quake 3 with some changeds here and there (crouch sliding, heavy feeling to it) but Id worked on it to its not like raven could of made quake 4 without ther being a quake 1 2 and 3 (gamelplay wise)

just imagine if Id never existed hypotethically i doubt raven could have come ou with such good quake stuff on ther own

no, it's the same reason why you wouldn't put hl: opposing forces and hl: blue shift as part of valve's arsenal. they didn't develop the expansions. sure, the gameplay is the same, but those were clearly inferior to half-life (though opposing forces was pretty good), and it'd be a mistake to say they're true valve games.

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 fireandcloud
[QUOTE="fireandcloud"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]I thought Id and Raven worked together on Quake 4...maybe not then? -Socrates-

you have it all wrong Id is the brains behind it they created the gameplay and the way it was meant to be played and Raven made whatever Id told them to make

i personally think it's important to separate developers and publishers (or whoever holds the ip for a franchise). it'd be like saying all the mods that are created for quake are part of id software and all the mods for hl2 are part of valve. raven got the go ahead to develop quake 4, and i'm sure they couldn't do anything significantly different to alter the overall lore of the quake universe, but they're given a certain amount of freedom to implement things and develop the game they have a vision for. id has the veto power to strike down any ideas, i'm sure, but i would imagine id gives them the freedom to truly make their game (as long as it doesn't disagree with id's own vision).

-Socrates-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 -Socrates-
[QUOTE="-Socrates-"][QUOTE="fireandcloud"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]I thought Id and Raven worked together on Quake 4...maybe not then? fireandcloud

i personally think it's important to separate developers and publishers (or whoever holds the ip for a franchise). it'd be like saying all the mods that are created for quake are part of id software and all the mods for hl2 are part of valve. raven got the go ahead to develop quake 4, and i'm sure they couldn't do anything significantly different to alter the overall lore of the quake universe, but they're given a certain amount of freedom to implement things and develop the game they have a vision for. id has the veto power to strike down any ideas, i'm sure, but i would imagine id gives them the freedom to truly make their game (as long as it doesn't disagree with id's own vision).

exactly raven works for Id and ID is in charge

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 fireandcloud
[QUOTE="fireandcloud"][QUOTE="-Socrates-"][QUOTE="fireandcloud"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]I thought Id and Raven worked together on Quake 4...maybe not then? -Socrates-

no, raven does not work for id. raven is an independent game developer. id does not own them in any way. they just have a good working relationship for many years now.

Avatar image for PotatoSandWitch
PotatoSandWitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 PotatoSandWitch
Member since 2007 • 843 Posts

The half life games have adventure tied into them, and a good story, which makes them best.

harrisi17

I listen to rap. It has lyrics and beats, which makes it best.

No such thing as a "better" game.

-Socrates-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 -Socrates-
[QUOTE="-Socrates-"][QUOTE="fireandcloud"][QUOTE="-Socrates-"][QUOTE="fireandcloud"]

no, raven does not work for id. raven is an independent game developer. id does not own them in any way. they just have a good working relationship for many years now.

i meant that raven worked with Id for Quake 4 silly :P

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 fireandcloud

i meant that raven worked with Id for Quake 4

-Socrates-

let's put it this way: they both signed a contract with certain terms clearly established (like don't mess up the quake universe, use certain names, make certain references, etc.). raven adheres to the terms stipulated in the contract, but they develop the game by themselves. that's most likely what happens in these situations.

drnick7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 drnick7
Member since 2004 • 995 Posts
Probably Valve, although Monolith is pretty awesome too.
1q3er5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 1q3er5
Member since 2003 • 759 Posts
All these infinity ward lovers why?? COD 4 is slower than CS for crying out loud. No jumping, and you get tired after 5 seconds of running. LAME.
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 fireandcloud

All these infinity ward lovers why?? COD 4 is slower than CS for crying out loud. No jumping, and you get tired after 5 seconds of running. LAME.1q3er5

sounds more appealing to me, actually. i never liked the jumping consecutively to move faster thing that a lot of fps feature. just seems more realistic - i mean, who jumps when, say, playing paintball? and getting tired after running for 5 seconds - hey, that sounds like me. :)

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 biggest_loser

All these infinity ward lovers why?? COD 4 is slower than CS for crying out loud. No jumping, and you get tired after 5 seconds of running. LAME.1q3er5

No its not lame.

The single player campaign is exciting and very well scripted.

The multiplayer is also fun since there is plenty to unlock as incentive. It is not slow at all.

gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 gogators4life
COD 4 is one of the best FPS games ever made.
aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts

COD 4 is one of the best FPS games ever made. gogators4life

:|

No. No.

Even CoD1 (2003 game) was far better than CoD4.

CoD4 is easily one of the better shooters of this gen, though.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts

biggest_loser

Far Cry...