Who here owns a nas server for home media streaming?

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

I am thinking of getting one down the line as I have been digitizing my blu ray collection for the past month. For those who have done so, did you bought a nas serve, built your on nas server, or bought a cheap pc?

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

I just use my gaming pc for the task. I've considered it too, but I just have plex running and it's no big deal.

TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheShadowLord07
@demi0227_basic said:

I just use my gaming pc for the task. I've considered it too, but I just have plex running and it's no big deal.

do you have computer own when you want to stream to your tv?

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

I just use a spare pc with a g4560 running plex. Works pretty great along with stablebit drivepool, don't see a need for a NAS unless you are very limited on space.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts
@TheShadowLord07 said:
@demi0227_basic said:

do you have computer own when you want to stream to your tv?

My computer is on most of the time. And if I turn it off, I'm not watching any movies anyways.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@TheShadowLord07:

I have QNAP branded NAS media file server and home's network backbone is 10 GBit/s.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

No NAS, but I do have a media server I cobbled together from spare parts to run Plex. I had to pick up a CPU and hard drives, but I had everything else.....aside from a case, I had to get that, too.

Runs an i5-4460, 8GB DDR3, 2x 4TB WD Red HDDs and a 980Ti (built it to function as a second gaming computer should the need arise or if I just want the kids to get the hell off my computer). I had the system setup to be RAID1, but a Windows 10 Update broke the hell out of the OS and I couldn't recover/repair the OS on either drive. I wiped one drive, installed Win10 again, fully updated it, copied all the videos from the second drive over and wiped the second drive. I now let Acronis backup a couple times a week to the second drive and I disabled Windows 10 updates.

Between all my DVDs, Blu-Rays and TV series I've got around 1.25TB copied to it and I'm about 2/3 of the way through my collection.

You don't need anything fancy or high-end if you're planning on running Plex. NAS system certainly isn't required. I guess it all just depends on your needs.

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

I have a Franken-computer made of spare parts (old Pentium CPU, 8GB DDR3 RAM and 2 old mechanical drives plus 2 I bought) that houses my digital movies, music, and a periodic backup copy of my main computer's important documents. It has 4TB of storage, though only 2 is used right now. It runs on FreeNas, which, while kinda overly complicated in my opinion, gets the job done once set up.

The thing I like about it is that my data stays on my network only, but can still be accessed by any computer that has been granted access without accounts or passwords to remember or hassle me (though you can set up password protection). The downside is, once I leave my network, I can't get to it. Though I guess I could sign up for something like Plex for that, but I don't feel the need.

The thing just sits in the corner of my room, on 24/7. It's pretty much silent as it only has 1 200mm case fan and a passive CPU cooler. The only maintenance it needs is the front dust filter being cleaned off every now and then.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Are there no restrictions when it comes to copying blu-ray over to computers? Any simple blu-ray drive will work?

TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheShadowLord07
@horgen said:

Are there no restrictions when it comes to copying blu-ray over to computers? Any simple blu-ray drive will work?

Yes any drive should work. I use makemkv to rip the blu ray discs. So far, I have filled up 50% of 8tb external hdd. Mostly because of tv seasons

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@TheShadowLord07 said:
@horgen said:

Yes any drive should work. I use makemkv to rip the blu ray discs. So far, I have filled up 50% of 8tb external hdd. Mostly because of tv seasons

I'll have to look into getting one. I got a simple NAS, however using it as a iSCSI disc at moment. Planning on switching to either to a DIY version of it or getting a 6-bay or bigger NAS and use as a iSCSI.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 neatfeatguy

@TheShadowLord07 said:

You just leave your files in .mkv or do you covert them to mp4?

I use MakeMKV and pull movies from my DVDs/Blu-Rays and then I use Handbrake to covert the files to .mp4.

TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheShadowLord07

@neatfeatguy said:
@TheShadowLord07 said:

I use MakeMKV and pull movies from my DVDs/Blu-Rays and then I use Handbrake to covert the files to .mp4.

I leave them as mkv. Converting mkv to mp4 just too much time when I'm already converting my blu ray collection into my digital library. Converting movies to mp4 from mkv is okay, but doing it for tv series is just too time-consuming

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 neatfeatguy

@TheShadowLord07 said:
@neatfeatguy said:
@TheShadowLord07 said:

I leave them as mkv. Converting mkv to mp4 just too much time when I'm already converting my blu ray collection into my digital library. Converting movies to mp4 from mkv is okay, but doing it for tv series is just too time-consuming

I don't find it too bad, plus I can save so much space, unless space isn't a concern for you.

Pulling a blu-ray from disk in .mkv I found the movies to be 25GB+. Having around 4 dozen blu-ray movies, that's 1,200GB of space just for them alone. Converting them to .mp4 does take a bit of time on my i5-4670k, but I find it worth it. The settings I use, converting a blu-ray .mkv file to .mp4 can be 2.5-3 hours. The end result means a video file goes from 25+GB to 2.5-6GB. So, what was roughly 1,200GB is now more along the lines of maybe 200GB.

Plus, it's easier for a couple of people that utilize Plex outside of my house to stream smaller video files considering the limited upload speed available from my home ISP (6mbps) the smaller file sizes are a blessing. Max upload I could obtain from my ISP is 10mbps, but that comes at over double the cost of my current plan and so not worth it. I find it worth the time to covert them to .mp4.

I don't find it too bad converting TV series. Psych, for example, I copied over all the episodes to my computer. I then took about 20-30 minutes to queue up every episode through Handbreak to covert them to .mp4 and let it run overnight. It only actually took about 4-5 hours, but in the morning all episodes were copied to my Plex server. I currently have around 1,700 video files (between my movies and TV series) copied over and they only take up around 1.15TB of space.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts
@TheShadowLord07 said:

I am thinking of getting one down the line as I have been digitizing my blu ray collection for the past month. For those who have done so, did you bought a nas serve, built your on nas server, or bought a cheap pc?

i built my own but it was pretty much based off a build i found online.

its a 5TB system running freenas.

the server is mostly used for photo and video backup but i do have plex running for streaming to my tivo / phone. i'm in the process of uploading my dvd collection but it's slow going :)