Which will dominate? Guild Wars 2 vs. World of Warcraft Cataclysm

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

punch56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 punch56
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

So. Alot has been said about both Guild Wars 2 and World of Warcraft Cataclysm.

But- So much has been said about Guild Wars 2, and I personally feel that it is going to end the reign of World of Warcraft as the top MMO

What are your thoughts?

kyle_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kyle_360
Member since 2009 • 530 Posts

Alright well, i know theres alot of people out there who want there to be a wow killer....i mean so do i (star wars the old republic) but i dont think it will happen....between gw2 and cata...think about this.......wow has so many players and so many followers....obvesily by now people have gotten bored with it,after all it is a 6 year old game....but cata is giving new races new class/race choices new zones and raids 1000's of quests not to mention it's COMPLETLY changing the world and setting with the whole post apacalyptic setting....and a new story...it will bring SO MANY new players back to playing it....and i personally played guild wars and thought it was good....but i never ever ever liked mmo's i used to make fun of people who played them ....that is of course until i jumped into the world of warcraft.....its almost as if it has a cult following, making people ruin there lives over it playing endless hours on it...so i dont think gw2 has a chance...but this is also just my opinion lol

ninjabeaver1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ninjabeaver1
Member since 2005 • 926 Posts

Nope. 2nd most populated MMO in the world? Perhaps. It will be the first real MMO I'll invest into since the R.O.S.E online days on highschool. From what I've read, GW2 might be the last game I'll buy until I experience all the content and lore in the game.

coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

Maybe not a wow killer, but I'd go for ToR simply because I'm excited for it and I love starwars and bioware :P

kyle_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kyle_360
Member since 2009 • 530 Posts
not to mention how amazing warcraft is...the whole vibe and world blizzard created is just incredible
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

I dont get this thread...Where does GW2 come in when at the same time you talk about Cataclysm? Cataclysm is most likely a Fall release, while GW2 is an unspecified 2011 release. Before GW2 comes out there is FF14, DCU, Vindictus, as far as I know Tera, ToR...

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

But- So much has been said about Guild Wars 2, and I personally feel that it is going to end the reign of World of Warcraft as the top MMO

What are your thoughts?

punch56

The first guild wars was boring, I haven't heard anything that makes me think that the 2nd one will be any better.

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

and I personally feel that it is going to end the reign of World of Warcraft as the top MMO

What are your thoughts?

punch56

*facepalm*

No...it will not do anything to WoW. Period.

the_mitch28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 the_mitch28
Member since 2005 • 4684 Posts

I played the WoW trial and had no idea why people liked it so much, then I played Guild Wars. Now I get it.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I dont get this thread...Where does GW2 come in when at the same time you talk about Cataclysm? Cataclysm is most likely a Fall release, while GW2 is an unspecified 2011 release. Before GW2 comes out there is FF14, DCU, Vindictus, as far as I know Tera, ToR...

rzepak

Thats what i was thinking. Cataclysm will be out this year. GW2 will be out probably mid-late next year. By the time GW2 comes out people will have already been tired and done with Cataclysm.

Deadly_Fatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Deadly_Fatalis
Member since 2006 • 1756 Posts
From all the news I've read about GW2, and due to have been a fanatic of the first game, I would love for GW2 to dethrone WoW. However, I think the fanbase is too strong, regardless, I will probably be playing GW2, I already burned out on WoW.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

well its obvious that people arent just going to leave wow. However, guild wars 2 has a good shot at nunber 2!

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TerrorRizzing

[QUOTE="rzepak"]

XaosII

Thats what i was thinking. Cataclysm will be out this year. GW2 will be out probably mid-late next year. By the time GW2 comes out people will have already been tired and done with Cataclysm.

ya a bunch of people, however mst people wont just switch. Expect guild wars 2 to have a big community, but not even close to a wow killer.
tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

WoW will demolish GW2. I havent read much on GW2, but i hated how soloing was pretty much impossible in the first one although I loved the fre-ness

HawX_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HawX_
Member since 2009 • 98 Posts

Nothing will stop WoW, Too many people that play it don't know about GW2 (or any other mmos).

blueflame8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blueflame8
Member since 2007 • 107 Posts

Guild Wars 2 will demolish WOW easily, it's the people that haven't read up about Guild Wars 2 that don't realise how amazing it's going to be, it shall revolutionize the genre.

coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 coreybg

We won't know until they are all released.

With Cataclysm, wow will either become awesome or an epic fail.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58503 Posts

What are your thoughts?

punch56

so sorry, but nothing will topple WoW except for two things:

1. WoW 2
2. Another MMO made by Blizzard

With that said, I am looking forward to GW2 very very much, as it looks really cool and sounds innovative based on what Ive read. At first I was like "Whaaaa? No healing ****!?!!" then I was like "Oh, that sounds cool I guess"

Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Farkeman
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
guild wars 2 killing wow , lol keep dreaming kidos ... i think the mmo that will dethrone wow will be made by Blizzard itself . SWor will bite some wow subscribers tho and guild wars 2 ? doubt that arenanet could succeed making a game suitable for the world outside asia , asian mmos should just stay in asia ! just sayin ... i have wow cataclysm beta , and by far its the best expansion ever made :)
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

Well GW2 will kill wow... When it snow in hell AND you get struck by lightning AND when you look out the window and see a purple pig with bird wings fly by.

Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Farkeman

Well GW2 will kill wow... When it snow in hell AND you get struck by lightning AND when you look out the window and see a purple pig with bird wings fly by.

KalDurenik
lol this ^
cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

Cataclysm will, WoW itself has god knows how many years of polish and fine tuning behind it, it's too far ahead for a new MMO to compete.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mrbojangles25

Guild Wars 2 will demolish WOW easily, it's the people that haven't read up about Guild Wars 2 that don't realise how amazing it's going to be, it shall revolutionize the genre.

blueflame8

I understand where you are coming from, but do you realize just how many MMOs have claimed to "revolutionize" the genre and are unsuccessful, even complete failures?

Pretty much all of them. Ironically, WoW was one of the few MMOs that did not try to revolutionize the genre.

The MMO genre is still undefined; the fundamentals are hardly established (one of the reasons for WoW's success is that it nails the fundmentals) and developers are already trying to mess with it.

MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 MrLions
Member since 2007 • 9833 Posts

WoW is just too simple to play and run that it can be played by anyone. Guild War 2 requires somewhat of a gaming PC and since majority of the human population don't know how to work a screwdriver and purchase HP PC's and laptops WoW is always going to win. I'm only assuming that the game requires more than an 8800 btw :P But who knows the first was well optimized and I was running it on low with a 5200 back in the day.

anprionsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 anprionsa
Member since 2004 • 382 Posts

What are your thoughts?

punch56
Neither, SWTOR will reign. :) Fanboyism aside, I still think Guild Wars 2 will not compete for the top spot... it's good, but not that good.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TerrorRizzing

guild wars 2 killing wow , lol keep dreaming kidos ... i think the mmo that will dethrone wow will be made by Blizzard itself . SWor will bite some wow subscribers tho and guild wars 2 ? doubt that arenanet could succeed making a game suitable for the world outside asia , asian mmos should just stay in asia ! just sayin ... i have wow cataclysm beta , and by far its the best expansion ever made :)Farkeman
well hey now, alot will play the game and like it. Doesnt have to be a wow killer to be a success.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
WIll be good but wont kill WoW. Will probably down all the others out there though like LOTRO and D&D and WAR and EVE and such.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#28 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Of course the overrated WOW will be more popular and make more money, but my bet is on Guildwars2 being more fun.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
doubt that arenanet could succeed making a game suitable for the world outside asia , asian mmos should just stay in asia ! just sayin ...Farkeman
what? guildwars is an asian mmo? are you saying the first did not succeed in being suitable for non-asian regions? what are you talking about? as far the dethronement. i dont know and i dont care. i will play whatever is more fun
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="Farkeman"]guild wars 2 killing wow , lol keep dreaming kidos ... i think the mmo that will dethrone wow will be made by Blizzard itself . SWor will bite some wow subscribers tho and guild wars 2 ? doubt that arenanet could succeed making a game suitable for the world outside asia , asian mmos should just stay in asia ! just sayin ... i have wow cataclysm beta , and by far its the best expansion ever made :)TerrorRizzing

well hey now, alot will play the game and like it. Doesnt have to be a wow killer to be a success.

aye, I agree

but try telling that to the devs and publishers. Most games that intend on being "wow killers" fail in my eyes; they need to be happy with a few hundred thousand subscribers inititially (if even that many).

Honestly...if their business model points to failure with less than 300k subscribers, they shouldnt even be making the game to begin with

Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Farkeman

WoW is just too simple to play and run that it can be played by anyone. Guild War 2 requires somewhat of a gaming PC and since majority of the human population don't know how to work a screwdriver and purchase HP PC's and laptops WoW is always going to win. I'm only assuming that the game requires more than an 8800 btw :P But who knows the first was well optimized and I was running it on low with a 5200 back in the day.

MrLions
lol , so ur saying guild wars 2 is better game because of graphics ? dude wake up , graphics are the least important thing in mmo ! its the least important thing in games in general :)
coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 coreybg

One thing that's going to be good about ToR is.Since it's based on story, you have to understand english and think a bit more.Which means there won't be as much retards as in WoW who say "gold plz,party,gole me," etc. And that makes me happy :D

On topic:

If cataclysm turns about to be good, ToR will get some of the wow players.

If it turns out to be bad, ToR will get most of them.

I'm not mentioning any other games because I don't know anything about them.

blueflame8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 blueflame8
Member since 2007 • 107 Posts

MrLions
Guild wars 2 is unlikely to require a gaming pc, they said they want to ensure it is accessible on most PCs
Linkbest23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Linkbest23
Member since 2008 • 590 Posts

WoW for sure

i havent heard of GW before right now so thatas how you know WoW is better

people that dont game knows about WoW

Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Farkeman
all Blizzard games are on top of the "food chain" , learn that !
MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MrLions
[QUOTE="Farkeman"] lol , so ur saying guild wars 2 is better game because of graphics ? dude wake up , graphics are the least important thing in mmo ! its the least important thing in games in general :)

When did I say that GW was only better because graphics?(hell....GW kinda sucked imo cause all it was basically is a PvP fest and if you don't invest in expensive expansions then you basically lose. The raiding sucked and you could beat the game which was like....:|) Some people like to purchase pretty games you know...:| And thats all it matters to them is making money so if someone wants to buy GW2 just because it looks amazing why is that bad? I mean ever since I was introduced to PC gaming if it dosnt look pretty or decent then I aint buying it it's 2010 folks :P I personally believe if you don't like what you see then you won't enjoy it. It's like if you were to play Dragon Age with stick people on the screen would you honestly enjoy it?
MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MrLions
[QUOTE="MrLions"]

blueflame8
Guild wars 2 is unlikely to require a gaming pc, they said they want to ensure it is accessible on most PCs

From the screenshots then that game will be hella optimized :o
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

WoW for sure

i havent heard of GW before right now so thatas how you know WoW is better

people that dont game knows about WoW

Linkbest23

Well, there you go. Solid, logical reasoning if ever there was. :roll:

Ultimately, who cares which is bigger? My god, what is it with people these days? Quibbling over game ratings, population and all kinds of other nonsense that is essentially meaningless. Are people really that insecure? Play what you like and who cares about the other stuff. Why does everything have to become a virtual version of, "whose is bigger?"

Kids these days...

ABRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ABRed
Member since 2009 • 298 Posts

I played both: WoW to Wrath of the Lich King and GW to Nightfall. WoW was certainly the best MMO (and still is). There's no doubt Cataclysm will have a huge success, but some people will probably give GW a try. (BTW, AION is my favorite MMORPG atm) Also, even more people will try Guild Wars 2 if it's going to be Free-to-play (is it going to be Free-to-play?!).

But Cataclysm will dominate GW 2. Although, between the 2, my favorite one will be GW 2 for many reasons. WoW became boring and I won't go back, no matter what. But the best MMO will be SW:TOR XD!

Thessassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Thessassin
Member since 2007 • 1819 Posts

[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"]

[QUOTE="Farkeman"]guild wars 2 killing wow , lol keep dreaming kidos ... i think the mmo that will dethrone wow will be made by Blizzard itself . SWor will bite some wow subscribers tho and guild wars 2 ? doubt that arenanet could succeed making a game suitable for the world outside asia , asian mmos should just stay in asia ! just sayin ... i have wow cataclysm beta , and by far its the best expansion ever made :)mrbojangles25

aye, I agree

but try telling that to the devs and publishers. Most games that intend on being "wow killers" fail in my eyes; they need to be happy with a few hundred thousand subscribers inititially (if even that many).

Honestly...if their business model points to failure with less than 300k subscribers, they shouldnt even be making the game to begin with

im not sure where you guys are pulling these low numbers from when GWs business model has been succesful enough to warrant a sequel, the first game sold 6 millioncopies as of april 09 and i have high hopes for the sequel which will probably take a bigger bite out of the WoW fanbase.

masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts
I vote GW2 Even if I will play gw only when bored of FFXIX or TSW or TERA. I want to see these new amazing graphics and storyline.
Esoteric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Esoteric
Member since 2003 • 720 Posts

GW2 won't dethrone WoW by any means. Too many people too invested in their characters and guilds. However, GW2 is the only current MMORPG that I'm looking forward to. SW:TOR looks generic, I hate the graphics, I don't like the setting (though I do like the original movies), and from the videos/descriptions I've seen, it looks to be the same old same old.

Read the GW2 developer diaries here: http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/

The developers just sound like they "get it." They know what's good about current MMOs, and they know what's bad, and they discuss their ideas and give reasons for what they're doing without all the PR speak. Don't get me wrong, I think Bioware is a quality company, but everything I've read about GW2 sounds so much better/interesting than SWTOR.

ekultus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ekultus
Member since 2010 • 1013 Posts

The only thing that will kill WoW is when president obama hits the internet kill switch right after some false flag cyber attack. I hope it happens soon.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
[QUOTE="punch56"]

What are your thoughts?

12M subs constantly paying 15$ each for the last 2.5 years around. Now not only i think GW2 wont make it to 12M , but even if it will cant compete with a Sub game , would be unfair for WoW. Also the last 4-5 years ive heard too many times "" this will be wow killer "" - "" This will surpass WoW ""... Games like Warhammer Online , LOTR , Conan , AION , SW:TOR, now Guild wars 2.... and more.... 1) WoW got its own fanatical and hardcore gamers that already put alot of time and effort in game to just drop it . PERIOD... So thats a strong reason ,imho , among others ofc that wow WONT die the next 2-3 years at least. And to clarify what "die" means is when a serious decline of active gamers occurs, like WArhammer online . WoW not only give billions of revenues and profits to Blizz each year but active gamer base is getting bigger each year as well...!!!!! Die is not if someone else surpass you at active base gamers. You think WoW will die if one day another game make it to 20M subs? Not really. There isnt any killer as of yet at least that will take all subs from wow ( only one that had a chance is nearly dead ---> WARonline). 2) The only game i see to have a chance is to compete head to head and in a way starting WoW's decline would be no other than .... New BLizz MMORPG , that remains a mystery. Blizzard atm making so many $$ that if they actually want to make an AAA new , breakthrough and polished like no other new MMORPG,,, they can do it , just like that. Imho. And thats another strong reason why i think will be top notch. They got the developing talents , and now they got as many resources as they want.!! What more to ask?...
Dandoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Dandoku
Member since 2010 • 70 Posts
The only reason I believe WoW can never loose its dominance on the web is because of its current fan base.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TerrorRizzing

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"] well hey now, alot will play the game and like it. Doesnt have to be a wow killer to be a success.

Thessassin

aye, I agree

im not sure where you guys are pulling these low numbers from when GWs business model has been succesful enough to warrant a sequel, the first game sold 6 millioncopies as of april 09 and i have high hopes for the sequel which will probably take a bigger bite out of the WoW fanbase.

On the interwebs, if youire not first your last. I ve seen so many arguments that say pc gaming is dead because modern warfare 2 sold better on 360, does that really make sense?
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
The only MMO I'm interested in is The Old Republic. There was FFXIV but I dropped as soon as the monthly fees were announced.
Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

the only thing to kill wow is diablo world of starcraft or is it war of diablo starcraft? bascially a mmo of the combination of warcraft, starcraft, and diablo

or maybe pokemon mmo....

ghegpatatas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ghegpatatas
Member since 2010 • 611 Posts
wow all the way..:)
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

The only MMO I'm interested in is The Old Republic. There was FFXIV but I dropped as soon as the monthly fees were announced.Eikichi-Onizuka

Looks like you're gonna be losing interest in TOR too.