Which Total War is your favorite and why?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for rosinmonkekyx17
rosinmonkekyx17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rosinmonkekyx17
Member since 2015 • 3019 Posts

Basically the title

Personally, I prefer Medieval 2 Total War. Its pretty cinematic battles and long sieges make it an excellent game.

Plus the large amount of conversion mods such as Third Age or Elder Scrolls add to the game's replayability

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

@rosinmonkekyx17: empire total war. prefer the Napoleonic era, found it more entertaining than shogun. those are the only 2 i have played so far.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58308 Posts

The original Shogun. It was so groundbreaking at the time and blew my mind, made the biggest impression.

I think there are other Total Wars (and I haven't tried Warhammer, which looks like it could be my fav) that I had more fun with, but yeah...Shogun was my favorite.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

The only one I've played so far ;-): Total War: Warhammer. As a big Warhammer fan it's just the ticket

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Original Rome is the best IMO

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Warhammer. I'm a huge history nut, but the fantasy setting making each army play entirely different and looking unique is important. Historical armies play more or less as reskins of each other.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58308 Posts

sounds like I need to buy Warhammer :D

I'm hesitant, though, I really really did not like Attila...

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Total War Warhammer

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I only played Shogun. I was around 12 at the time. I remember thinking it was awesome, but I sucked at it.

TheManofPears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheManofPears
Member since 2016 • 284 Posts

Medieval 2 would be mine. The grand campagin is fantastic, factions are interesting. Bit biased as I love that period of history. Original Rome would be my second.

rosinmonkekyx17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rosinmonkekyx17

Original Rome was amazing

I can't play because I have direct x12 and no 9 lmao

I have Shogun 2 and I can say it's amazing, the battle animations are awesome but I dislike the new feature where troops automatically replenish in friendly regions

If you guys ever get Medieval 2, you gotta try the Third Age mod :P

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Shogun 2. Not as much variety between armies but the difficulty is on point and i love the presentation and style. Fall of the Samurai is also a kickass expansion. Attila is a close second and easily the most underrated.

I actually think Warhammer is one of the weakest entries especially if you aren't a big fan of that universe. The campaign mode got old fast and lacks depth, and I fucking hate how 95% of battles take place out in the open. I'm fine with CA tackling fantasy but not if the end result feels as watered down as Warhammer.

rosinmonkekyx17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rosinmonkekyx17

@with_teeth26: FotS has got to be one of the best expansions CA have ever come up with . The avatar mode was a interesting and fun feature that they should've repeated in newer games.

Still, Medieval is my pick, grand battles and amazing mods :P

I agree Atilla was underrated, but it did have some stupid features such as exploding arrow towers (Why?) and machine gun arrow towers

IMO, Warhammer is ok, the gameplay, factions, magic, is amazing, but siege battles now require little to no strategy and the battles are less enjoyable and shorter

Still, I think Rome 2 is around the weakest with its terrible release and bugs

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

@rosinmonkekyx17: Total War Shogun 2 was my favorite because I really liked the Japanese theme.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

medival 2: total war

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

Total War: Medieval. It was my first entry into the series, the entry I spend the most time on. I also liked that the old games tended to keep your soldiers in formation. It felt like you were fighting with formations of soldiers where the new games often feels like you're fighting with vaguely coherent mobs of soldiers.

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

Rome 1

Attila

Rome 2

Medieval 2

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#20 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Medieval 2: Total War because I like that time period and game's atmosphere. Siege battles were also epic and breathtaking.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

somewhat OT, but looks like the new Total War: Warhammer patch does a ton of rebalancing and tweaking, including to sieges. Will be very excited to try it out with these changes

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

I liked Rome 1 then Attila.

Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#23  Edited By Mickeyminime
Member since 2008 • 1581 Posts

Medieval 2 for me, Rome will forever have that special place, but Medieval 2 was simply beautiful, i simply loved it and enjoyed it.

Empire onwards killed the total war franchise for me. I'll still play Empire from time to time, but i simply do not like the new make over. I tend to find that the moment you deploy your soldiers from Empire onwards, the moment you start the battle and move the troops out, they all move back to the original poision again. In Rome and Medieval 2, they stayed in position even when they march, but Empire, Rome 2, they just go all over the place. Also Empire onwards wasn't as enjoyable

rosinmonkekyx17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rosinmonkekyx17

@Mickeyminime: I loved Medieval as well, the vanilla, DLC, and the mods were amazing.

Sadly, I can't play Rome 1 anymore without having to reinstall Directx as I need Directx9 to play it :/

Empire Total War was an abomination, just filled with bugs and terrible features

I recently got Napoleon from the Steam sale and it is everything Empire wasn't, very good addition to an already legendary series

Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#25 Mickeyminime
Member since 2008 • 1581 Posts

@rosinmonkekyx17: I play Rome from time to time, but not as much as i used too in the early days. I've got about 30hours gameplay on Steam, but for the CD, it must be over 200hours between W7 and XP. I noticed that Rome on CD didn't play well on W7 unlike it did with XP. I have/had 3 Romes, 2 on CD, 1 on steam.

My first Rome (CD) worked fine on XP, but on W7, it kept crashing after a while. I tried it on other computers and it was always the same problem when it ran on W7. Sadly, my brothers friend accidently damaged my disc when he wanted to borrow it and he had to get me another one. It was the anthollogy so it came with the Barbarian and Alexandria pack. But that game also had problems with W7. Then last year, i got the game for sale on steam and so far, after 30hours of game play, i've had no issues with it, so it must be the CD version of the game that refused to work correctly on W7.

Medieval 2, i have only got a few hours on steam, but for the CD, i must have yet again, a tone of hours on it. I didn't really like M2 at first, but after a while, i began to love it. I feel like it has more to it than Rome did.
The only thing i didn't like about M2 was those Papel State assassins who kill family members, agents and so on. At one point, they kept killing everyone i had and i was like "seriously, stop killing them!"

It got so bad, i had to "cheat" to get rid of them by placing units around the guy to get rid of them or send assassins to kill them and hope for the best.

Then we come to Empire, i like it to a point because i love playing the British and creating the British Empire. I don't really play any other faction, just the British. But i feel that they removed everything from the previous games like regions, small movies when a spy sneaks in to a castle. Hell, they even removed cities and gave us cheesy forts etc. I wasn't over keen on the naval combat and i seriously didn't like the deployment change. I used to spend time deploying my army, march them in to battle and they wouldn't move from the position i put them in. But Empire onwards, the moment you deploy them or march them after spending time to move them about where you want them to be, the moment they march, they go back to the original formation. Now i just wait for the enemy to come to me. It was the same with Rome 2, i had a couple legions behind one another. The moment i marched them to battle, they changed back to the original formation they where in the moment you have the opertunity to change the position everyone is in.

I've not played Rome 2 much, same with Shogun 2, the only thing i liked about it was that you can have bigger armies, but everything else, i just didn't like and i feel the total war series died after Medieval 2

rosinmonkekyx17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By rosinmonkekyx17

@Mickeyminime: Rome for me, I only ever had the Steam version and I'm pretty sure I logged at least 10 hours on it

Medieval 2 on the other hand...heh heh...almost 200 hours

I agree how it's pretty stupid for them to remove cities and replace it with forts. You lose the grand cities and instead, you get a small fort that replaces it. I mean... one of the most memorable things in Medieval 2 is fighting battles in these cities, and now we have these tiny forts that replaces them. Where are the houses? The people? It just isn't as immersive :/

But they've added cities back to Attila.

As for the assassins, I think that was just you. The Pope loved me, some what...Well actually, I just kept spamming assassinations to up my assassin's skill and eventually I kept killing the new one :P

The mods for M2 are amazing though...I've played with a mod that introduces 30 factions including a faction based on gunpowder. And, the Third Age mod lives on M2

I also don't like the new replenishment feature, where as long as your men are in one of your regions, they automatically replenish

I wouldn't say the series died after Medieval, Shogun and Napoleon are excellent games. I hope they return to old ways though

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@xantufrog said:

The only one I've played so far ;-): Total War: Warhammer. As a big Warhammer fan it's just the ticket

Well you didn't jump on board with a bad one as that's my favorite as well and I've played all of em, tho I'm a big Warhammer fan in general so that helps a bit.

Warhammer-Medieval 2- Shogun 2 the top ones for me