Which RPG to buy - Neverwinter Nights 2 or Risen

This topic is locked from further discussion.

simo98088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 simo98088
Member since 2003 • 927 Posts

Looking at gettin a new one before Dragon Age..

NWN 2 rated higher then Risen.. but Risen clips look pretty dam good..

any recomendations?

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Neverwinter Nights 2 is insanely good and will last you a looong time. Risen, I don't know how long it'll last, but the gameplay is fun. I'd suggest Neverwinter Nights 2 Gold over Risen anyday.

jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts
I'd get Risen.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

NWN2 has probably changed since its release... if the performance of the game is good and you no longer have to babysit your party because of the terrible, terrible pathing AI then NWN 2 is probably the best choice. Risen, however, is pretty great in its own right. If you're a fan of RPG's I'd recommend playing both either way, so the question is probably.. which should you play first? :D

In which case I'd recommend Risen. Dragon Age looks like it'll have a lot of NWN2-style combat to it and you don't want to burn yourself out prior to its release. Best to play something with a different style of gameplay.

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

Neverwinter Nights 2 is filled with content I hear.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#6 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

This is a misleading title.

Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts

-Unreal-
What?
G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts
I never really got into Neverwinter Nights 2, I played through about half of the game before I stopped playing (for now at least). That was simply because the random difficulty spikes kept annoying me (or at least they were difficulty spikes to me :P)
elfbait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 elfbait
Member since 2009 • 38 Posts
Having just finished Risen... it has it's flaws, but it looks good, did not crash on me, although I had to restart it a few times because I occasionally glitched into scenery and there was no way to toggle collision off or anything to rescue it. Fortunately I saved regularly, since I was getting regularly beat up by various critters. But it was an enjoyable game - I wish I had waited until the price dropped tho. NWN2, on the other hand, kind of bored me really quickly. I played maybe 4 hours in, and it simply did not catch my interest strongly. I got that pretty cheaply though, and it is a pretty game. I heard the expansion (Mask of the Betrayer, I think) was really excellent. So, my lukewarm endorsement goes to Risen, but honestly, I would wait until the price drops. (I will have to retry NWN2 again tho - sometimes I put games away for a month or even a year and then try them again and end up enjoying them.)
TJamesA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 TJamesA
Member since 2007 • 570 Posts

I'd go with Risen before Dragon Age, and then play NWN2 after you've played DA, supposing you are interested in playing both at one point or another,just an opinion.

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

i've said this to alot of people and i'll said it again - i believe a platinum edition for NWN2 will be released sometime in the future, and i suggest you to wait for that. Risen is a great game - though it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Avatar image for BloodEagles1717
BloodEagles1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 BloodEagles1717
Member since 2004 • 245 Posts
NWN2, definitely. Combat in both games was kinda dull, imo, but NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer oozes with creativity, while Risen is really generic. The NWN2 OC is also pretty generic, though, and if you don't know DnD very well, building a lvl 18 character to start Mask of the Betrayer can be tricky.
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

Looking at gettin a new one before Dragon Age..

NWN 2 rated higher then Risen.. but Risen clips look pretty dam good..

any recomendations?

simo98088

I would go with NWN 2 myself simply because I liked the amount of choice and customization available in the first Neverwinter Nights. Risen is a good RPG none the less though.

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

it really depends on your preference and experience with "RPG" (an abused term in gaming).

NWN2 is a true to the bone DnD CRPG, and a big chunk of experienced RPG gamers just hate DnD, and many this and next gen gamers don't know what DnD is exactly. so might just fall in love with it or simply hate it. whether you will be into NWN2 depends on which kind of gamer you are...

Risen is a decent solo RPG, one of the few solo RPGs I actually enjoy playing. vivid game world and an interesting, though a bit simplistic, leveling + cIass system. if you're into solo RPG but not really to the extreme of hack n' slash, this game might be a good fit for you.

I myself like NWN2+MotB (expansion) much more than Risen...but of course I'm biased, just like everyone has his/her preference.

AlphaHumana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AlphaHumana
Member since 2006 • 618 Posts

I haven't had a chance to play Risen yet, but I've played through NWN2 and it's expansions too many times to count - it's amazing, I'd say it's even better than the original NWN. Like one poster said you could wait for the platinum edition, I have no idea when it's coming out though. "Mask of the Betrayer" (the first expansion) is really the only one worth playing though (it is truly excellent), so the platinum edition with all three expansions may not be of interest to you (Storm of Zehir was so boring I can't believe I actually played through it three times!)

I'd go ahead and buy NWN2, because you can get it dirt cheap (iirc I paid $29.99 and that was years ago), and Risen is brand new and still full price (I'd imagine.)

MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MadCat46
Member since 2004 • 1494 Posts
Meh, hold out a few weeks for Dragon Age. Haven't played yet Risen but from what I've heard it's mediocre at the moment, some good things to it but overall nothing special and as tradition with PB it's got quite a few bugs. NWN 2 is a good game and I love it but it's not for everyone. Combat is slow paced and tactical, it's D&D based and that's a turnoff for a lot of people, it's still got some technical issues, and the story while at times shines most of it just feels like it's just dragging on, (Mask of the Betrayer however is amazing). It's also really starting to shot it's age in my opinion. Dragon Age: Origion looks like a typical Bioware release, nothing groundbreaking or amazing with the game but a solid experience overall with few in any technical issues.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#17 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts
[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

Captain__Tripps
What?

I thought you were going to tell us which RPG to buy out of the two.
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts
I decided not to buy Risen, but I can definitely tell you to pick up NWN2, it's great. The expansion packs make the game even better. Be warned though, if you get into NWN2, that will last you a long time, and DA is coming out soon which will require just as much if not more.
depend3ncy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 depend3ncy
Member since 2009 • 623 Posts

Aside from the worst combat system ever made, NN has awful, kindergarden dialogue. The art is fine, but art hardly makes an

interesting game. Its always been the problem for me with Bioware, the worlds they made were fine and i tried to get into it, but the game mechanics

itself always suck hard.

Risen is one of my favorite titles, so i suggest that.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

Risen have a huge problem. The first half of the game is okey 8.5 of 10 in score. After that its so rushed that i would give the 2nd half a score of 6 of 10. The ending is at the same level as Might and Magic DM (one of the worst endings ever?).

Edit: Go for NWN 2 ;)

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Im in agreement with them..Own both, neverwinter nights 2 has more options for you..With that said go with dragon age origins in two weeks..Cant go wrong with bioware rpgs..Also they said they will have content for it over two year peroid..Great if you ask me..

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#22 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Not to mention you can get NWN2 right now for next to nothing compared to full new release price for Risen. You will be able to pick it up for $19.99 in a few months (after you finish DA).

NWN2 hands down.