Where do people get the OS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IamGrunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 IamGrunt
Member since 2006 • 239 Posts

Hey guys,

I've seen alot of pc building thread on several forums, and I always see people that ahve a budget for a brand new build and they never have the OS included. Its so rare to see someone have it in their list.

Where do people usually get it? are they just taking out the old HD and putting it in their new system or what? Will that work?

Can yo install the Reatail copy several times, whene people say they already have a copy?

*oh I dont want his to turn into an illegal talk, I know those ways already*

Eastdabest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Eastdabest
Member since 2006 • 652 Posts
lol Im just as curious as you are
filmography

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 filmography
Member since 2004 • 3202 Posts

As long as you have the original operating system disc you can reinstall it multiple times on a computer.

oh and Most people when making computer builds(such as myself) usually assume the person already has a copy of an OS lying around for use so thats why we dont include it in the budget, its the same reason why we dont include stuff like keyboard, speakers, monitors etc unless were asked too.

IamGrunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 IamGrunt
How come they just have it lying around? They buy it in advance or something?
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
How come they just have it lying around? They buy it in advance or something?IamGrunt

Maybe they've already got a computer, it just sucks. So they'd have a copy of Xp or vista, and they could install it on their new computer.
IamGrunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 IamGrunt

[QUOTE="IamGrunt"]How come they just have it lying around? They buy it in advance or something?Nibroc420

Maybe they've already got a computer, it just sucks. So they'd have a copy of Xp or vista, and they could install it on their new computer.

I agree, like making a new build and calling MS to tell them they changed some components to activate it again. At least thats how it is with the OEM as I recall.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="IamGrunt"]How come they just have it lying around? They buy it in advance or something?IamGrunt

I agree, like making a new build and calling MS to tell them they changed some components to activate it again. At least thats how it is with the OEM as I recall.

I've never had that problem with OEM software. But yes, i'm assuming thats where they get it..That or they "borrowed it from a friend"
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Have a copy already.
bungie93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bungie93
Member since 2008 • 2445 Posts
Can the same copy of Windows XP be installed on multiple computers? I still have the CDs from when I installed XP on my old computer and I'm wondering if I can use the same CDs to install XP on a new computer.
mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts
Im pretty sure that they cancelled the xp reactivation last month to push vista so to the TC, if its xp then you probaly need a new operating system.
IamGrunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 IamGrunt

I see, but after a little discussion over the other thread about reusing vista, I dont think a lot of people would throw away the old PC.

Anyway, Im just gonna buy it mabe cuz the Copy gives me free shipping for entire order, which is worth 56$, so I take it as a Vista OEM for 44$, which is not bad I guess.

gamerwiz09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 gamerwiz09
Member since 2006 • 820 Posts
Well I was reusing my old computer so I had to buy a new copy :(
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
You had to, but you didn't have to, it's a touchy subject.
gamerwiz09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 gamerwiz09
Member since 2006 • 820 Posts

You had to, but you didn't have to, it's a touchy subject.X360PS3AMD05

Well, like in the other topic I could have just gotten a new key...EXCEPT my other PC had XP and they stopped XP or whatever, plus I wanted Vista anyway...So yes I had too.

rob1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rob1101
Member since 2004 • 3435 Posts

like some have said, most people already have an OS from one of these soruces.

Retail Store - Pay too much

Online Store - Still pay too much

Bittorrent - Better option but make sure you know what your downloading

Get a legit copy and hack it yourself would be the best option, or just use your schools CD key

OR

GNU / Linux - which in pretty much all cases is free of charge

threepac81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 threepac81
Member since 2003 • 3459 Posts
I actually still have the Enterprise version of XP(infinate licence) that I got from my highschool back in 2002. I used to help out by installing XP on computers, so I burned a copy and wrote down the key. I have never had to activate my version of XP so I always had an OS laying around.
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts
We all as you can see we have just about done it illegally, Since your only allowed to have one copy of the OS on one system alone.
mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts
We all as you can see we have just about done it illegally, Since your only allowed to have one copy of the OS on one system alone.zaku101
Who cares ? I doubt anyone feels bad about screwing over a greedy multi billion dollar company over an overpriced operating system thats not really better than the one before
IamGrunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 IamGrunt

[QUOTE="zaku101"]We all as you can see we have just about done it illegally, Since your only allowed to have one copy of the OS on one system alone.mastershake575
Who cares ? I doubt anyone feels bad about screwing over a greedy multi billion dollar company over an overpriced operating system thats not really better than the one before

My teacher always use to say: " I would feel more bad stealing a bicycle from a 10y ears old then stealing a car from GM "

You remembered me that one.

rik666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 rik666
Member since 2005 • 488 Posts

Well, i think some people probably just get their operating system through... other... means. *cough*.

:P.

How subtle.

I am covert.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts

Hey guys,

I've seen alot of pc building thread on several forums, and I always see people that ahve a budget for a brand new build and they never have the OS included. Its so rare to see someone have it in their list.

Where do people usually get it? are they just taking out the old HD and putting it in their new system or what? Will that work?

Can yo install the Reatail copy several times, whene people say they already have a copy?

*oh I dont want his to turn into an illegal talk, I know those ways already*

IamGrunt

I have been using the same OEM xp for over 4 years. I got it at newegg long time ago. Still use it. I am unaware of any microshaft attempt to deactivate xp activations. For one it isnt legal.

ALL they did last month is stop shipments of XP. So once a store runs out, or a online warehouse, they got no more to sell. That is it.

ssta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 ssta
Member since 2005 • 218 Posts

[QUOTE="zaku101"]We all as you can see we have just about done it illegally, Since your only allowed to have one copy of the OS on one system alone.mastershake575

You're right. But that's the licence. If you want to have a free OS, get Linux, and forget gaming!

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
I order it as OEM when i get the components, it's not on the list cause there's little choice, if someone does put it on the list it's usually cause they're not sure about 32bit/64bit.
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

I agree lol.

PC_X360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PC_X360
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts
I have a copy of Vista Home Premium, it came with my dell but never activated it. I reinstall windows when it tells you to activate it
IamGrunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 IamGrunt

I have a copy of Vista Home Premium, it came with my dell but never activated it. I reinstall windows when it tells you to activate itPC_X360

OH so we can get away with the activation that way uh?

Maybe saving the imporatnat stuff on another HDD and always reinstalling it, but thats gotta be time consuming , reinstalling all the drivers , updates and stuff....