Where are my Steam save files?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Comic_Capers
Member since 2008 • 1701 Posts

I recently had to have my computer reset to factory settings in order to reinstall Windows. Luckily, about two days before it crashed I managed to perform a successful back-up using Windows Backup and Restore Centre. After restoring the old data, I have found the files for Dawn of War II (a disc-based game) but I cannot find the save files for Stacking or Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (two games I downloaded off Steam).

Do you have any idea where I might find them so I can transfer them back onto my main hard disk and carry on playing where I left off?

Thanks.

KABCOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 KABCOOL
Member since 2009 • 1147 Posts

They should be hereC:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games. Thats where all my steam saves are.

Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Comic_Capers

That folder only seems to contain the folder for Dawn of War 2 which I haven't even reinstalled yet.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Which games are you specifically asking about? As already mentioned, they're usually found in the user folder.

Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Comic_Capers

"Stacking" and "Indy and the Fate of Atlantis"

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts
Fate of atlantis might keep them in the install folder, considering how old it is. I would have expected Stacking to keep them somewhere under /user/mlauthedaft/documents. There's a hidden folder called appdata, which you may want to look at. I'm on my phone at the moment so can't help with specifics.
Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Comic_Capers

Where can I find those files?

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

You have to go into the control panel and turn on "show hidden files/folders."

Before you are able to see the Appdata folder, which should still be under your user's folder.

Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Comic_Capers

I've found the App data folder. Oddly, when I performed the restore, none of My Documents, Music or Pictures were restored and I have had to retrieve them form the D: drive instead. As it so happens, the Lucasarts folder under "Roaming" is empty. I can't find the one for Stacking anywhere.

Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Comic_Capers

Well I just tried playing Stacking and my save progress is still there (phew I was 62% through it) but I still can't find my old Indy save. It isn't a big deal if I can't retrieve it as I wasn't very far into it and it would only take about half-an-hour at the most to get back to where I was.

WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

Try Program Files(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common. A few of my games have saves there.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

I am bumping an old topic because I was wondering the same thing... then I found the save files. They are located in the C\User\games....etc. for several games.

This is odd because my 'C' system drive is my smaller SSD... while I have my main steam drive on my 1TB HDD 'G' drive. All steam files including most game data files are located on the G drive. However I noticed a few games, Fallout 3: GOTY and Dishonored for example, are saving files to the C drive. I am concerned because this is my smaller drive and I am a save nut.

So my questions are:

1) Is the storage location for save states independant to each game and not controlled by Steam?

2) Is there a way I can force games I play through Steam to save onto my storage 'G' drive and not my system 'C' drive?

Thank you!

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Probably depends on each separate game, but generally googling the game name+save file location will tell you

no1alboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 no1alboogie
Member since 2003 • 1360 Posts

They are probably gone .... depending on what game it is; some save in the "my games" folder, some make folders of their own( either in your document folder or in "program files"), and some have their save files in the Steam folder ( they're not all the same) ... anyway , Windows usually only backs up your: Documents, Music and Pictures unless you specifically tell it to back up anything else .....

.... so, the one game got backed up that was in your Documents, the rest ( unless the WHOLE drive was backed up ) are gone.

.... if any of the games were on the "Steam Cloud", you should be alright; just load them again and all your settings and saves should show up like you left them ...... good luck

no1alboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 no1alboogie
Member since 2003 • 1360 Posts

I am bumping an old topic because I was wondering the same thing... then I found the save files. They are located in the C\User\games....etc. for several games.

This is odd because my 'C' system drive is my smaller SSD... while I have my main steam drive on my 1TB HDD 'G' drive. All steam files including most game data files are located on the G drive. However I noticed a few games, Fallout 3: GOTY and Dishonored for example, are saving files to the C drive. I am concerned because this is my smaller drive and I am a save nut.

So my questions are:

1) Is the storage location for save states independant to each game and not controlled by Steam?

2) Is there a way I can force games I play through Steam to save onto my storage 'G' drive and not my system 'C' drive?

Thank you!

enzyme36

...... 1) yes

2) no

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 enzyme36

[QUOTE="enzyme36"]

So my questions are:

Thank you!

no1alboogie

...... 1) yes

2) no

Appreciate the reply, was afraid no one would notice my post because I bumped an old topic rather than creating a new one.

So I guess I have no control where games save on my computer, so I have to curb my create new save addiction. Bummer... seems like I should be able to tell them where to store.

The work-around seems to be copying the folder structure to my storage drive and then moving them back when I want to play. Seems clunky... anyone else do this here? Not worried yet... 39.5 GB free on C

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="no1alboogie"]

[QUOTE="enzyme36"]

So my questions are:

Thank you!

enzyme36

...... 1) yes

2) no

Appreciate the reply, was afraid no one would notice my post because I bumped an old topic rather than creating a new one.

So I guess I have no control where games save on my computer, so I have to curb my create new save addiction. Bummer... seems like I should be able to tell them where to store.

The work-around seems to be copying the folder structure to my storage drive and then moving them back when I want to play. Seems clunky... anyone else do this here? Not worried yet... 39.5 GB free on C

I'd say just keep an eye on where you're installing your games. Save files are tiny, and shouldn't make any storage issues, even if there's hundreds of them. And yeah, different games put them in different places, but they'll all be on your main drive. Except in the few cases where the saves are actually in the game install folder, in which case, obviously, that's just wherever you installed the game. Also, if you're worried about losing them, it's a good idea to activate Steam Cloud for any/every game that allows it. Some games actually have Steam Cloud features that aren't necessarily advertised. I was trying to figure out if I could swap back and forth between my laptop and my roommate's desktop when playing Dark Souls, and have my save game transfer with the cloud, and I googled all over the place, and the answer seemed to be a resounding "no" everywhere I found. Went ahead and tried it anyway, and it works perfectly.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 enzyme36

[QUOTE="enzyme36"]

[QUOTE="no1alboogie"]

...... 1) yes

2) no

the_bi99man

I'd say just keep an eye on where you're installing your games. Save files are tiny, and shouldn't make any storage issues, even if there's hundreds of them. And yeah, different games put them in different places, but they'll all be on your main drive. Except in the few cases where the saves are actually in the game install folder, in which case, obviously, that's just wherever you installed the game. Also, if you're worried about losing them, it's a good idea to activate Steam Cloud for any/every game that allows it. Some games actually have Steam Cloud features that aren't necessarily advertised. I was trying to figure out if I could swap back and forth between my laptop and my roommate's desktop when playing Dark Souls, and have my save game transfer with the cloud, and I googled all over the place, and the answer seemed to be a resounding "no" everywhere I found. Went ahead and tried it anyway, and it works perfectly.

Well I know for a fact that Dishonored has Steam Cloud... dont think Fallout3 GOTY has the option. I will check when I get home... maybe delete a few of these save states right from the folder while Im at it.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#19 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Everywhere. Steam games place their save games depending on where the developer wants to put them. Sometimes it's in the Root folder of my docs. Sometimes it's in a My Games folder. Sometimes it's in a publisher folder (No joke I have an EA Games folder, an Electronic Arts Folder and an EA folder), Sometimes it's in the game folder, sometimes it's in the very bowels of Windows and sometimes it's in the Steam folder. I do think there should be some push to standardize save game locations. Because this has really been bugging me for years now.