When and how much are these GTX 970 8gb going to be?

Avatar image for awax187187
awax187187

277

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 awax187187
Member since 2005 • 277 Posts

When and how much are these GTX 970 8gb going to be?

Avatar image for GTR12
GTR12

13490

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@awax187187:

I'm gonna bet $480-500 USD, it has to be cheaper than the 980, but more expensive than the 970 4GB and those are selling like hot cakes.

Avatar image for awax187187
awax187187

277

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 awax187187
Member since 2005 • 277 Posts

@GTR12: Nice cant wait, im holding off for the 8gb then sli down the track

Avatar image for GTR12
GTR12

13490

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@awax187187 said:

@GTR12: Nice cant wait, im holding off for the 8gb then sli down the track

Hope your playing at 4k minimum...

Otherwise those cards will be sleeping and napping 95% of the time.

Avatar image for awax187187
awax187187

277

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6 awax187187
Member since 2005 • 277 Posts

@GTR12: that's the plan

Avatar image for gerygo
GeryGo

12803

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#7 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@awax187187 said:

When and how much are these GTX 970 8gb going to be?

I hope you're getting SLI or it's waste of money

Avatar image for Grey_Eyed_Elf
Grey_Eyed_Elf

7970

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I wouldn't bother.

I would wait for the rumoured 980 Ti 348Bit 6GB Goliath that's just around the corner.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

46231

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46231 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

I wouldn't bother.

I would wait for the rumoured 980 Ti 348Bit 6GB Goliath that's just around the corner.

Sounds good. Releasing somewhere in the first half of 2015 ?

Avatar image for Grey_Eyed_Elf
Grey_Eyed_Elf

7970

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

I wouldn't bother.

I would wait for the rumoured 980 Ti 348Bit 6GB Goliath that's just around the corner.

Sounds good. Releasing somewhere in the first half of 2015 ?

Q1-Q2 is the latest rumour... Along with a Dual GPU maxwell so maybe a 990 8GB.

Remember when AMD changed there naming from 5870 being top tier at 5770 being mid level to 6970 being top tier and 6870 being mid level?... Well that's how I see the current maxwells the 970 is more like a 760 and the 980 is more like a 770 in terms of launch price, meaning we are missing a actual 780 and 780 Ti.

With the huge price drop of the Titan Z its clear there will be a 990 and with the 980 barely beating the 780 Ti its very clear the current maxwell's are cash crab's mid tier chips, the true enthusiast maxwell is yet to be released. So anyone spending £500 on a after market 980 is going to regret it.

There same thing that happened to early adopters of the 8800 series... the 8800GTS 320/640 got destroyed two months after launch by the cheaper 8800GT.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

46231

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#11 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46231 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Sounds good. Releasing somewhere in the first half of 2015 ?

Q1-Q2 is the latest rumour... Along with a Dual GPU maxwell so maybe a 990 8GB.

Remember when AMD changed there naming from 5870 being top tier at 5770 being mid level to 6970 being top tier and 6870 being mid level?... Well that's how I see the current maxwells the 970 is more like a 760 and the 980 is more like a 770 in terms of launch price, meaning we are missing a actual 780 and 780 Ti.

With the huge price drop of the Titan Z its clear there will be a 990 and with the 980 barely beating the 780 Ti its very clear the current maxwell's are cash crab's mid tier chips, the true enthusiast maxwell is yet to be released. So anyone spending £500 on a after market 980 is going to regret it.

There same thing that happened to early adopters of the 8800 series... the 8800GTS 320/640 got destroyed two months after launch by the cheaper 8800GT.

Well, I wouldn't call them cash grabs. They have some very efficient chips reducing heat and thus noise level. And the energy they require is also very low for the perfomance.

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely holding out on a purchase and I'm also interested to see what AMD can come up with.

But if there is a 980 TI or 990 with the efficiency of the current 970 or 980 that would be awesome and I would likely switch to Nvidia.

Avatar image for Grey_Eyed_Elf
Grey_Eyed_Elf

7970

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#12 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Sounds good. Releasing somewhere in the first half of 2015 ?

Q1-Q2 is the latest rumour... Along with a Dual GPU maxwell so maybe a 990 8GB.

Remember when AMD changed there naming from 5870 being top tier at 5770 being mid level to 6970 being top tier and 6870 being mid level?... Well that's how I see the current maxwells the 970 is more like a 760 and the 980 is more like a 770 in terms of launch price, meaning we are missing a actual 780 and 780 Ti.

With the huge price drop of the Titan Z its clear there will be a 990 and with the 980 barely beating the 780 Ti its very clear the current maxwell's are cash crab's mid tier chips, the true enthusiast maxwell is yet to be released. So anyone spending £500 on a after market 980 is going to regret it.

There same thing that happened to early adopters of the 8800 series... the 8800GTS 320/640 got destroyed two months after launch by the cheaper 8800GT.

Well, I wouldn't call them cash grabs. They have some very efficient chips reducing heat and thus noise level. And the energy they require is also very low for the perfomance.

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely holding out on a purchase and I'm also interested to see what AMD can come up with.

But if there is a 980 TI or 990 with the efficiency of the current 970 or 980 that would be awesome and I would likely switch to Nvidia.

True... Well I've been burnt several times and I have learnt my lesson, I held out on the 7 series.

I'll probably cave in and just get a 980 in November once FarCry 4 comes out... :(.

Avatar image for Lach0121
Lach0121

11782

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11782 Posts

@GTR12: I am betting not much more than $399 actually for the 8gb versions. Anymore is too much, and will force too many to just go with the 4gb versions. As there wouldn't be many games to take use of the VRAM unless at really high resolutions. So that will limit who will be purchasing them if they are that expensive. For instance there are far more people buying the GTX 970, than the GTX 980 for that exact reason.

Anything more than a $50-$70 premium for VRAM on the same exact card is ridiculous.

Avatar image for Cwagmire21
Cwagmire21

5896

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#14 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

@GTR12 said:

@awax187187:

I'm gonna bet $480-500 USD, it has to be cheaper than the 980, but more expensive than the 970 4GB and those are selling like hot cakes.

Only $500 for a 8GB card!? :O

I'm gonna feel real stupid knowing I could have waited a 6 months for double the power at around the same price. :(

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

3676

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#15 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

Game devs are going stupid with their requirements honestly. As soon as DX12 comes out and maybe if Mantle actually delivers, we wont have to worry about all these high requirements. Asking for more than 4GBs of VRAM with many computers rocking 8GBs of DDR3 is really annoying. I hope to build a new rig in the next few months but with all these devs asking for 6GBs or 8GBs to max, we might have problems. I was hoping to just build a new rig with a GTX 970 4GB but noooo, the dicks at Ubisoft want GTX 680s and 2GBs of VRAM as a minimum. Its like devs dont care and want to alienate the PC crowd any way they can.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

3676

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#16 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

Game devs are going stupid with their requirements honestly. As soon as DX12 comes out and maybe if Mantle actually delivers, we wont have to worry about all these high requirements. Asking for more than 4GBs of VRAM with many computers rocking 8GBs of DDR3 is really annoying. I hope to build a new rig in the next few months but with all these devs asking for 6GBs or 8GBs to max, we might have problems. I was hoping to just build a new rig with a GTX 970 4GB but noooo, the dicks at Ubisoft want GTX 680s and 2GBs of VRAM as a minimum. Its like devs dont care and want to alienate the PC crowd any way they can.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

7797

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#17 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

@Cwagmire21 said:

@GTR12 said:

@awax187187:

I'm gonna bet $480-500 USD, it has to be cheaper than the 980, but more expensive than the 970 4GB and those are selling like hot cakes.

Only $500 for a 8GB card!? :O

I'm gonna feel real stupid knowing I could have waited a 6 months for double the power at around the same price. :(

LOL what? 4GB more of VRAM does NOT mean double the power. You don't even need 8GB of VRAM unless you have a 4K monitor.

Avatar image for GTR12
GTR12

13490

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Lach0121 said:

@GTR12: I am betting not much more than $399 actually for the 8gb versions. Anymore is too much, and will force too many to just go with the 4gb versions. As there wouldn't be many games to take use of the VRAM unless at really high resolutions. So that will limit who will be purchasing them if they are that expensive. For instance there are far more people buying the GTX 970, than the GTX 980 for that exact reason.

Anything more than a $50-$70 premium for VRAM on the same exact card is ridiculous.

$20 premium? dream on.

@Cwagmire21 said:

Only $500 for a 8GB card!? :O

I'm gonna feel real stupid knowing I could have waited a 6 months for double the power at around the same price. :(

I hope your trolling or your just really stupid...

Doubling the VRAM doesn't give you double the power.

Avatar image for Lach0121
Lach0121

11782

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#19 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11782 Posts

@GTR12: who said $20 premium?

I said paying anything more than $50 (ideally) to $70 more... (so that would be a $70 maximum premium)

Avatar image for GTR12
GTR12

13490

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#20 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Lach0121 said:

@GTR12: who said $20 premium?

I said paying anything more than $50 (ideally) to $70 more... (so that would be a $70 maximum premium)

Well the GTX970 EVGA ACX2 as an example retails for $330 at Amazon (the cheapest option), and $50 more is $370 only... and these cards are selling out everywhere.

Nvidia would shoot themselves if the GTX 970 8GB vs the GTX 980 4GB did more than 5% better at 4k. From a business perspective, its suicide, the GTX 980 4GB would essentially be dead.

That's why I speculated $480 to $500 USD assuming they don't lower the price of the 980 4GB (again going by Amazon and the cheapest 980, the EVGA 980 ACX2, it retails for $570), a $200 dollar difference between the 970 8GB and 980 4GB is very unusual, it leaves AMD to put a card right between those price ranges and get a lot of marketshare.

Avatar image for Lach0121
Lach0121

11782

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11782 Posts

@GTR12: Yes that all makes sense, however what doesn't make sense is that as you stated you can get a GTX970 for $330. So paying $150, to $170 more to ($499) just for a higher VRAM variant of the same card is completely outrageous.

Especially considering the price for the GTX 9 series (especially the gtx970) were hiked due to supply not meeting demand. Once that irons out the price should inevitably drop. This is of course my speculation.

If the cards are closer to $500 for the 8gb (or higher Vram versions), I will just go with the 4gb GTX970 to hold me over, and get faster card with Higher Vram later.

Avatar image for GTR12
GTR12

13490

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#22 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Lach0121 said:

@GTR12: Yes that all makes sense, however what doesn't make sense is that as you stated you can get a GTX970 for $330. So paying $150, to $170 more to ($499) just for a higher VRAM variant of the same card is completely outrageous.

Especially considering the price for the GTX 9 series (especially the gtx970) were hiked due to supply not meeting demand. Once that irons out the price should inevitably drop. This is of course my speculation.

If the cards are closer to $500 for the 8gb (or higher Vram versions), I will just go with the 4gb GTX970 to hold me over, and get faster card with Higher Vram later.

Well speaking from experience and from another thread here on GS (its the front page somewhere), a person assumes that double the VRAM = double the performance, when that's simply not true. Its those people that Nvidia targets "oh it has double this, so its twice as fast, woot"

My only other speculation is that there is a 975 with 6GB VRAM or something in the middle, because a $200 difference is different markets of people.

Avatar image for Lach0121
Lach0121

11782

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#23 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11782 Posts

@GTR12: Valid point about the marketing demographic.

Hmm, this GTX 975 theory you have is quite interesting indeed, and does kind of account for a more reasonable answer on both ends of the points you, and I were making. I am assuming you mean this to be a single gpu card that has 6GB VRAM with a performance of between a 970, and 980. (as well as medium price around $400-$500) It would be most attractive, as long as it comes with variants like the STRIX, and G1.

Looking at it from a slightly different angle let me chunk another reasonable theory at ya... Maybe the higher Vram GTX970 isn't 8GB, but is 6GB, and the higher VRAM GTX980 is the 8GB card? I mean the VRAM doesn't have to double. I remember my GTX570, which is the 1.25GB version, had a higher VRAM variant that was only 2GB which isn't quite double.

Avatar image for GTR12
GTR12

13490

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#24 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Lach0121 said:

@GTR12: Valid point about the marketing demographic.

Hmm, this GTX 975 theory you have is quite interesting indeed, and does kind of account for a more reasonable answer on both ends of the points you, and I were making. I am assuming you mean this to be a single gpu card that has 6GB VRAM with a performance of between a 970, and 980. (as well as medium price around $400-$500) It would be most attractive, as long as it comes with variants like the STRIX, and G1.

Looking at it from a slightly different angle let me chunk another reasonable theory at ya... Maybe the higher Vram GTX970 isn't 8GB, but is 6GB, and the higher VRAM GTX980 is the 8GB card? I mean the VRAM doesn't have to double. I remember my GTX570, which is the 1.25GB version, had a higher VRAM variant that was only 2GB which isn't quite double.

Completely agree, it doesn't have to be double, it could be 6GB, all I am certain of is, it CANNOT be faster than the 980 4GB or it pisses off a lot of people.

I've had that 975 idea for some time, but I thought I was thinking too much, but we had that GTX 465 which slotted in between the 460/470, and I only mentioned 6GB because its between 4 and 8, I could be completely wrong but that $200 price gap had me thinking.

Avatar image for DJ_Headshot
DJ_Headshot

6427

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#25  Edited By DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

I wouldn't bother.

I would wait for the rumoured 980 Ti 348Bit 6GB Goliath that's just around the corner.

Sounds good. Releasing somewhere in the first half of 2015 ?

Q1-Q2 is the latest rumour... Along with a Dual GPU maxwell so maybe a 990 8GB.

Remember when AMD changed there naming from 5870 being top tier at 5770 being mid level to 6970 being top tier and 6870 being mid level?... Well that's how I see the current maxwells the 970 is more like a 760 and the 980 is more like a 770 in terms of launch price, meaning we are missing a actual 780 and 780 Ti.

With the huge price drop of the Titan Z its clear there will be a 990 and with the 980 barely beating the 780 Ti its very clear the current maxwell's are cash crab's mid tier chips, the true enthusiast maxwell is yet to be released. So anyone spending £500 on a after market 980 is going to regret it.

There same thing that happened to early adopters of the 8800 series... the 8800GTS 320/640 got destroyed two months after launch by the cheaper 8800GT.

The fact that where gonna see even stronger nvida gpu soon is nice I wonder if these will have the 20nm manufacturing or if we have to wait for 2015 for that hell they might just skip 20nm and go for 16nm at this point. As for me I'm sitting pretty with 2 overclocked 7950 which are no longer top dog in the gpu world but there no slouch still especially not with 2 of them! So in no hurry to upgrade and for most games even just one of my 7950's is enough but a select few games do make good use of the power like Crysis 3 and Metro Last Light and where going to see alot more games coming out soon that will use up all that power and more if you have it.