What's so great about Diablo?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 chesterocks7
Member since 2005 • 1572 Posts
I'm thinking about getting another older game and I've heard a lot about how much people love Diablo. What is it about Diablo that makes it so good? I just read the reviews on Diablo, Diablo II + expansion, and it really just seems like a watered down version of Baldur's Gate. Now, I've never played them so I'm not judging them, I just want to know what makes them worth playing when it seems like there are better options from around that time, Baldur's Gate is what really comes to mind. So why do you guys think its a great game?
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
It's probably one of the most addicting games out there. It's an unbelievable amount of fun and has great multiplayer. I played Diablo 1 - Diablo 2 : LOD anticipating each release and none of them have let me down. It's not even comparable to Baldurs Gate.
chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 chesterocks7

It's probably one of the most addicting games out there. It's an unbelievable amount of fun and has great multiplayer. I played Diablo 1 - Diablo 2 : LOD anticipating each release and none of them have let me down. It's not even comparable to Baldurs Gate.GodLovesDead

Why though. From what I've heard in Diablo you run through hordes of creatures to kill a boss. In Baldur's Gate you do the same thing but with a fleshed out story, dialogue choices, fully controlled party, and far more options to kill things in one playthrough. Diablo sounds a bit bland, almost an RPG-like version of Doom.

promajo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 promajo
Member since 2007 • 174 Posts
sounds bland? why don't you try it out before judging?
PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts

[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]It's probably one of the most addicting games out there. It's an unbelievable amount of fun and has great multiplayer. I played Diablo 1 - Diablo 2 : LOD anticipating each release and none of them have let me down. It's not even comparable to Baldurs Gate.chesterocks7

Why though. From what I've heard in Diablo you run through hordes of creatures to kill a boss. In Baldur's Gate you do the same thing but with a fleshed out story, dialogue choices, fully controlled party, and far more options to kill things in one playthrough. Diablo sounds a bit bland, almost an RPG-like version of Doom.

Diablo is an action RPG, a dungeon crawler, a loot whores game, with some incredible itemization depth and class skills, despite the very simplistic gameplay.

Baldur's gate is like comparing apples to oranges, completely different, the only similarity is the view point.

If you want an immersive deep story instead of baddass CGI scenes now and then, then Diablo isnt for you. But its an amazingly fun game.

omenodebander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 omenodebander
Member since 2004 • 1401 Posts
diablo is an actionrpg, click and click on hordes of enemies. No epic story to go with it, just your character must destroy the prime evils. A great action game, don't get me wrong, just not a great role playing game . Baldur's gate series are true role playing games where there is more story and character development with memorable npc (minsc, edwin, sarevok, and so on)
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

It's an ACTION-rpg...that's the point. It's not Baldur's Gate, nor does it need to be. If running around killing hordes of demons all the while leveling up and collecting items/equipment doesn't sound appealing to you, then Diablo simply isn't your style.

Get a real story focused RPG and move on...asking "why doesn't this game in a genre I don't like appeal to me?" is silly...

chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 chesterocks7

Well I obviously stepped on someones balls somewhere in there. I was not judging the game, just based off the reviews I read it didn't seem like anything special. They must not have gone into enough detail because it just sounded like a weak RPG. I've never played an action RPG before, so I obviously don't know what it's like. There's no need to get so defensive, I was merely asking why this game is so great.

jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts

In Diablo, combat is actually fun. That's the difference. Combat is a chore in Baldur's gate.

Baldur's Gate is like reading a really slow and boring book. If I want to experience a great story, I read a good novel. If you want to play a fun game, play Diablo II.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

Well I obviously stepped on someones balls somewhere in there. I was not judging the game, just based off the reviews I read it didn't seem like anything special. They must not have gone into enough detail because it just sounded like a weak RPG. I've never played an action RPG before, so I obviously don't know what it's like. There's no need to get so defensive, I was merely asking why this game is so great.

chesterocks7

Pretty sure you can download a demo. That's the only way you'll ever know if you like it or not.

chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chesterocks7
[QUOTE="chesterocks7"]

zomglolcats

Pretty sure you can download a demo. That's the only way you'll ever know if you like it or not.

Ok, I was at work when I started this thread so I couldn't download it, but I will definitely do that. Thanks to everyone who actually helped.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
[QUOTE="zomglolcats"][QUOTE="chesterocks7"]

chesterocks7

Ok, I was at work when I started this thread so I couldn't download it, but I will definitely do that. Thanks to everyone who actually helped.

Also, just play Diablo 2. You can read up on D1's story if you really want to know what all happened, but Diablo 1 is pretty bland by today's standards. Diablo 2 is a lot better. D1 was awesome at the time, but well, things have changed a lot since then.

Jakeh1322

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jakeh1322
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I would def get my hands on Diablo i think it sets the story up totally for Diablo 2. Although Diablo 2 is a lot better gameplay, graphics, different levels. Diablo you just go deeper and deeper into the church. I remember playing diablo for like 12 hours straight when it first came out. In fact i just installed Diablo 2 just the other day and started playing a different character. Also Diablo pretty much set the standard for RPG's as we know it today.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]It's probably one of the most addicting games out there. It's an unbelievable amount of fun and has great multiplayer. I played Diablo 1 - Diablo 2 : LOD anticipating each release and none of them have let me down. It's not even comparable to Baldurs Gate.chesterocks7

Being a tremendous fan of both.. Both are great.. Diablo 2 has superior multiplayer, with a better stat based character development system, addictive action, and a way more indepth loot system..

Baldur's Gate 2 has better enviroment, interactions, dialogue, story, etc etc..

rageraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rageraiden
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

It's true the item system in diablo is great, you're always going through the same dungeons over & over again just for the same item with different mods ^^.

Magebane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Magebane
Member since 2003 • 362 Posts
By the way, anyone playing D2 again/still? I just started up again on USWest having an absolute blast, didn't think five+ years ago I would be playing this game and still diggin' it.
Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#18 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts
Its like the best MP game for me, still playing it. The Game is just polished like nothing else out there.
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jedinat
For a simple game I am impressed at how it still held my attention. I consider it a casual game and in that cateogry it is pretty amazing but outside of that category not so muchSEANMCAD
I'm amazed at the BS some people can so blissfully produce. Let us all who enjoyed D2 a little more than this person now acknowledge that we are so fortunate in the fact that such a simple game--one that tickled our little minds for so many hours--was able to hold this higher being's (the much-lauded "hardcore" gamer perhaps?) attention for a span.
Adrianstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Adrianstalker
Member since 2008 • 1467 Posts

Diablo is a GREAT game....When you are 12 years old

Really, its was fun back in the days.

Adrianstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Adrianstalker
Member since 2008 • 1467 Posts
Oh and yeah, Baldurs Gate is much better indeed. And requires patience
teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

zomglolcats

definitely try it first. Diablo is the ultimate solo leveling up machine. all other RPG elements aside, if you enjoy BG's complex party combat, Diablo's isn't necessarily fun to you. We certainly see people liking both, but others, like me, easily get bored with Diablo's combat.

also, to OP, if you're interested in this game, just ask opinions, don't do it in a challenging manner: throwing in another brand of RPG to question a game you haven't played.

Diablo is overall more popular than BG, and since they're so different, you don't need to prove one great by putting the other down (of the sort of "A is boring, B is fun").

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Diablo is a Hack-n-slash game with roleplay elements.

You basically just run around killing stuff, picking up things that will help you kill more stuff until you meet Mr. Diablo himself and try to kill him. Easy story, senseless violence but very entertaining.

It's just a matter of taste.

Rawtheory333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Rawtheory333
Member since 2005 • 474 Posts
After playing Diablo 2 for two weeks I realized it was mindless and complete waste of my time. Maybe if I'd played it online I would've felt different.
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jedinat
After playing Diablo 2 for two weeks I realized it was mindless and complete waste of my time. Maybe if I'd played it online I would've felt different.Rawtheory333
After playing online with friends, playing offline does feel kind of pointless. Even if you play by yourself, you should make and play with online characters. You experience the game exactly the same as if you're playing offline, and you reserve the ability to take your characters online if you choose. (I can't really imagine playing single player for two weeks straight--I hope you didn't spend many hours each day on it--I'm sure that would feel rather like you've wasted your time.)
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts

Character development. That's pretty much what the Diablo games are all about.

You start out with a naked little level 1 who can barely kill a zombie, then you play a little and you're wearing leather armour and your sword is pretty cool. Suddenly, you're hacking apart swarms. Then you drop a few more nameds, and you're wearing chain, and you've got two swords and a few cool abilities. Now, you're taking down some seriously mean mothers.

You play a little more, you're suddenly level 50 and you're wearing named armour, you've got socketed weapons with magical effects and you have developed your stats and skills into a personalised character. Play a little more and you're collecting elite item sets, you're pumping up your ATK rating and you're farming the prime evils for every delicious piece of loot they have. Play a little more and you're collecting the finest named weapons and armour, you have all kinds of crazy ass abilities and you're going after the uber nameds.

Have you ever learned a difficult subject (maybe a language or musical instrument), lost weight, increased your fitness significantly or developed your muscle or other physical abilities? You know how generally, it's not very fun to actually do those things, but the sense of satisfaction at having done them is extreme. That's Diablo. It's a clickfest, and it's not very fun, but it's incredibly satisfying to develop a character. Incredibly satisfying.

People who see Diablo's gameplay mechanics as an end in itself are the people who don't like it, or don't get it. People who see Diablo's gameplay mechanics as a means to an end, that end being strong character development, love the game.

If you think you might enjoy developing a character for the sake of developing a character (this isn't Fallout or Deus Ex - it essentially plays the same no matter your cIass or skills), then Diablo 2 is the only place to be.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58453 Posts

Diablo, on its own, is nothing innovative or special. Its a clickfest, and action-RPG played from an isometric point of view.

But it is as close to perfection as a clickfest can get.

Then you factor in battle net and that close-to-perfect game gets a lot closer to perfect.

Its a fun game, pure and simple, which is why we play games to begin with. Innovation and purdy visuals are nice, but a game needs to be fun first and foremost.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
It's very addicting.
chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 chesterocks7
[QUOTE="zomglolcats"]

teardropmina

definitely try it first. Diablo is the ultimate solo leveling up machine. all other RPG elements aside, if you enjoy BG's complex party combat, Diablo's isn't necessarily fun to you. We certainly see people liking both, but others, like me, easily get bored with Diablo's combat.

also, to OP, if you're interested in this game, just ask opinions, don't do it in a challenging manner: throwing in another brand of RPG to question a game you haven't played.

Diablo is overall more popular than BG, and since they're so different, you don't need to prove one great by putting the other down (of the sort of "A is boring, B is fun").

I didn't mean to do that at all, I was asking if it was different than my initial impressions of it, because I wasn't too impressed by what I read.

I'm currently downloading the demo to give it a shot.

chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 chesterocks7
Alright well I got the demo and played it for about 10 mins. I wasn't too impressed by it, but I know I need to dedicate more time before deciding whether I'll buy it or not, and I plan on playing it a lot longer tonight. I've heard a lot about how good the multiplayer is, so I want to know how active the multiplayer still is, and how does it work? Someone said it's just like the single-player except with a group, but that doesn't sound like anything special. I also heard that your characters can give you longevity in the multiplayer, and I'm eager to know how, because that could be the deciding factor for me. I appreciate all the help you guys give.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dnuggs40

Dude, the game is obviously not for you...why do you persist?

I swear, this is a rediculous thread...

Wierd guy: "I keep hearing hamburgers are great, but honestly I don't really like ground beef. I actually prefer hotdogs. Can anybody tell me why I should like hamburgers?"

*bunch of people chime in and tell him the merits of a burger, and inform him to try one for himself*

Wierd guy: "Ok...just tried out a hamburger...didn't like it. I only ate two bites so I know I should give it more time, but I just am not impressed with it. I hear cheeseburgers are good, but honestly it sounds like just a hamburger with a slice of cheese...nothing special. Does anybody have anymore information on why I should like hamburgers?"

chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 chesterocks7

Dude, the game is obviously not for you...why do you persist?

I swear, this is a rediculous thread...

Wierd guy: "I keep hearing hamburgers are great, but honestly I don't really like ground beef. I actually prefer hotdogs. Can anybody tell me why I should like hamburgers?"

*bunch of people chime in and tell him the merits of a burger, and inform him to try one for himself*

Wierd guy: "Ok...just tried out a hamburger...didn't like it. I only ate two bites so I know I should give it more time, but I just am not impressed with it. I hear cheeseburgers are good, but honestly it sounds like just a hamburger with a slice of cheese...nothing special. Does anybody have anymore information on why I should like hamburgers?"

dnuggs40

Apparently my first answer wasn't nice enough for the mods so let me try again.

Do you judge games after playing them for 10 mins? Also realize I played the demo for the game. In the demo you can only play as one character class, you can only use one skill from their entire skill tree, and you can only play singleplayer. So to put it in your language, I got to try a hamburger without the bun, ketchup, or pickles. So obviously I'm not going to know what a hamburger really tastes like, and will want to know why other people like them before spending money on them. Hopefully by now you've realized how ridiculous that analogy was. And I never said I don't like action RPGs (your ground beef) I said I've never played them and want to know why people enjoy them. The demo was severely limiting so I could play it for hours and still not understand what's so great about the game, because all the elements people say are great are left out.

So please, don't bother posting if you have nothing helpful to say.

p1st0la

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 p1st0la
Member since 2006 • 35 Posts

What's not to love about gratuitous amounts of killing?

HMM? Its just fun, games can be just that, fun. Its really that simple.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dnuggs40

"So please, don't bother posting if you have nothing helpful to say."

I did post something helpfull, I said you obviously do not like the game.

You read the reviews...were unimpressed.

You thought the game looked "bland" and was nothing more the a watered down BGII.

You read what players on this site had to say...still unimpressed.

YOU PLAYED THE DEMO AND STILL DIDN'T LIKE IT LOL!!!

What more do you need? One of those police hostage negotiator guys to talk you into liking the game or something?

chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 chesterocks7

I did post something helpfull, I said you obviously do not like the game.dnuggs40

I haven't played the game, and if I did not like the game I wouldn't need someone else to try and convince me of that.

You read the reviews...were unimpressed.dnuggs40

The reviews basically said you kill lots of creatures and get cool items. That sounded a bit shallow to me so I assumed there was more to it than that, which is why I asked.

You thought the game looked "bland" and was nothing more the a watered down BGII.dnuggs40

I thought it "LOOKED" like a watered down BG2 which is why I was asking how it is different, because the reviews didn't indicate much of a distinction. At no point did I make a claim as to what the game was.

You read what players on this site had to say...still unimpressed.dnuggs40

I have not read what players on the site said except for this specific topic, and I have repeatedly thanked those who have helped explain and have proven helpful. Some people actually do help others here.

YOU PLAYED THE DEMO AND STILL DIDN'T LIKE IT LOL!!!dnuggs40

I already explained the only thing the demo let you experience was the combat. Nothing else. So if the only thing you do is play with one class, with one skill, and click, click, click with absolutely nothing else, than I think it's safe say I would hate the game, but the demo obviously isn't a good measure of the game.

What more do you need? One of those police hostage negotiator guys to talk you into liking the game or something?dnuggs40

That would probably be more useful than the posts you have made.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dnuggs40

I can see what you are doing...so I'll leave ya to it ;)

Oh...and just wanted to LOL at:

"but the demo obviously isn't a good measure of the game."

No...a demo sure isn't a good measure of a game lol :rollseyes:

chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 chesterocks7

Oh...adn just wanted to LOL at:

No...a demo sure isn't lol :rollseyes:

dnuggs40

Play the demo and then tell me otherwise kid.

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

Oh...adn just wanted to LOL at:

No...a demo sure isn't lol :rollseyes:

chesterocks7

Play the demo and then tell me otherwise kid.

You spend the entire game killing... thats all you do, and its awesome, especially online with the competitive ladders/PvP/trading.

Hell the other night there was 72000 people playing... a 10 year old game, I would like to see Baldurs Gate II getting that kind of following.

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

Because Baulder's Gate is like an RPG while Diablo is a pure hack/slash action game.

If your looking for an RPG then don't get Diablo, but if you want one hell of a fun game that has a ton of action then Diablo is the way to go.

Avatar image for deactivated-61d84d87dcc8a
deactivated-61d84d87dcc8a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-61d84d87dcc8a
Member since 2004 • 402 Posts

What is it about Diablo that makes it so good? chesterocks7

It's incredibly easy to get into. There's a lot of loot, and the character development is surprisingly deep. You dont have to think as much, you just click click click away gleefully and collect all the awesome loot. It's not meant to be "better" than Baldur's gate, it's almost a different genre.

chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 chesterocks7

[QUOTE="chesterocks7"]What is it about Diablo that makes it so good? om3ga_storm

It's incredibly easy to get into. There's a lot of loot, and the character development is surprisingly deep. You dont have to think as much, you just click click click away gleefully and collect all the awesome loot. It's not meant to be "better" than Baldur's gate, it's almost a different genre.

Are there any other more modern games like this? I've never played anything quite like it before.

jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jedinat
Are there any other more modern games like this? I've never played anything quite like it before.chesterocks7
People go on about Titan Quest, and I really tried to get into it. I'd stick with D2. Titan Quest was really bland in comparison.
chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 chesterocks7
Ok thanks again to everyone who helped.
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts

Oh...and just wanted to LOL at:

No...a demo sure isn't a good measure of a game lol :rollseyes:

dnuggs40

He's right - the demo isn't a good measure of the game. You can judge the core gameplay mechanics, but you can't really judge the character development - and the character development is really what makes the game what it is, not the actual physical gameplay mechanics.

And starting with a naked level 1 who can barely kill things, it can be fairly difficult to appreciate the direction the game goes, because by level 20 your character feels completely different - but you don't get to see that in the demo. That's the problem.

You've got no items, no weapons, no stats, no abilities... it's buildingthose up that makes Diablo 2 what it is, and you don't really get a taste of that in the demo. Diablo 2's physical gameplay mechanics are really a means to an end, not an end in themselves as with most other games.

That being said, I agree with your hamburger post.

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

Hell the other night there was 72000 people playing... a 10 year old game, I would like to see Baldurs Gate II getting that kind of following.

PC360Wii

I know it's OP who started it, but I think it's really unnecessary to drag BG into this discussion, especially the forced ones. BGs are about single-player experience start to end, there'll never be battlenet stuff for BG players; BG will never win any populartiy contest over Diablo as Diablo always sold better than BGs, then and now.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

Ok thanks again to everyone who helped.chesterocks7

Buy the game.

panpet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 panpet
Member since 2008 • 3197 Posts
Diablo II is the best game for pc ever!!! Diablo II is GREAT!!!
ninjabeaver1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ninjabeaver1
Member since 2005 • 926 Posts

I'm thinking about getting another older game and I've heard a lot about how much people love Diablo. What is it about Diablo that makes it so good? I just read the reviews on Diablo, Diablo II + expansion, and it really just seems like a watered down version of Baldur's Gate. Now, I've never played them so I'm not judging them, I just want to know what makes them worth playing when it seems like there are better options from around that time, Baldur's Gate is what really comes to mind. So why do you guys think its a great game?chesterocks7

Watered down version of Baldurs Gate? Wow , that's what I actually think. I couldn't really get into it.

But I certainly see the appeal in why my friend's like it. Battle.net multiplayer (well a private server multiplayer session to be honest) , more action orientated. Fast & easy action to get into. Not overly complicated. One direct route. One may find it's loot system to be addicting. I on the other hand hate randomly generated content.