What Upcoming Game will Flop?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

What game in say the next six months will flop?

My pick is Mass Effect. I just don't see it living up to the hype and I think people are going to find out that is just an updated version of KOTOR. I love Bioware and they can do some amazing things but I think they've gotten in over their heads on this one.

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Colonel_Cool
Member since 2006 • 1335 Posts
I haven't been following the game much, but an updated version of kotor seems reason enough to buy it.
niko44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 niko44
Member since 2004 • 2281 Posts
Crysis...Just kidding let's not start a flame war :)...Honestly I think spore is gonna be a great game but will be a flop in lasting appeal/value.
The_PC_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The_PC_Gamer
Member since 2003 • 2910 Posts
NHL08....again
Citan76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Citan76
Member since 2003 • 1178 Posts

If you watch gameplay videos of Mass Effect the gameplay looks a lot different. Honestly though even it was in the KOTOR style I would still love it. I loved the KOTOR games.

Edit: Forget to add, halo 3.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts
Flame war or not I still say Crysis will not live up to the expectations.
linmukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#7 linmukai
Member since 2003 • 600 Posts
I'm not sure its coming within six months but I think the Star Trek MMO in development is doomed. I just don't think that is gonna fly unless they do the unexpected and improve the genre while using the license. If its just another MMO grind on the Enterprise don't even bother beaming me on board. I'll pass.
Avatar image for elemental_drago
elemental_drago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 elemental_drago
Member since 2004 • 1816 Posts

Crysis...Just kidding let's not start a flame war :)...Honestly I think spore is gonna be a great game but will be a flop in lasting appeal/value.niko44

Heh, I was thinking Spore too. Not because it's an inherently flawed design, just that they've got a tall order to fill now. The scope he's infering will be in the game is rather large and no easy task to accomplish. I think that due to how much hype the game has accumulated(and the number of delays tugging at the publics patience)people will be hard pressed not to be disappointed.:(

D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 D9-THC
Member since 2007 • 3081 Posts

I've never even heard of Mass Effect...how can it flop if there's no hype?

I'd have to guess that if any upcoming games will flop it will be Gears of War. PC Gamers have way too much on their plate this season to squeeze in a unoriginal console port.

Citan76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Citan76
Member since 2003 • 1178 Posts

I'd have to guess that if any upcoming games will flop it will be Gears of War. PC Gamers have way too much on their plate this season to squeeze in a unoriginal console port.

D9-THC

lol what hole have you been in?

arangadillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 arangadillo
Member since 2005 • 702 Posts
I hate to say it but I think Assassins creed is gonna flop either on 360, PS3, or PC. One of the 3 (if we are lucky 2 of the 3) is going to be awesome. But I know one of the systems is gonna fail.
thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts
Right now I'm thinking Warhammer Online will flop, it's just a gut feeling that I get about it.
lokstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 lokstah
Member since 2005 • 1213 Posts
[QUOTE="D9-THC"]

Citan76

Lol nothing. I've heard of it, but it's nowhere near an example of the hype machine that powers some titles around here. Whether it's obscure or just a darkhorse, D9-THC makes a good point: for a release to flop, it's got to defy big expectations (in particular, expectations that it will sell a zillion copies).

ArcticSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ArcticSnake
Member since 2003 • 942 Posts
[QUOTE="Citan76"][QUOTE="D9-THC"]

lokstah

Lol nothing. I've heard of it, but it's nowhere near an example of the hype machine that powers some titles around here. Whether it's obscure or just a darkhorse, D9-THC makes a good point: for a release to flop, it's got to defy big expectations (in particular, expectations that it will sell a zillion copies).

Everybody on System wars is going gaga over the game. Hyped to be GOTY 110%. A lot of E3 awards also went to the game. Plus, KOTOR team = auto-hype.

gamerchick_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gamerchick_89
Member since 2007 • 52 Posts

my vote is the agency, insecticide, and probably geometry wars (that is on the wii and ds though)

maybe i just say these will flop cuz they aren't my style

Billabong81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Billabong81
Member since 2004 • 188 Posts

Although I am not 100% against the subscription model being used in Hellgate: London, a lot of people seem to be making it a really big deal of it. This could lead to decreased sales.

Gameplay-wise, I think Age of Conan could be a flop. I'm not completely convinced by the new combat model being used. I wasn't a big fan of Oblivion's combat and this looks to be similar.

StephenHu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 StephenHu
Member since 2003 • 2852 Posts

hellgate london

arangadillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 arangadillo

Although I am not 100% against the subscription model being used in Hellgate: London, a lot of people seem to be making it a really big deal of it. This could lead to decreased sales.

Gameplay-wise, I think Age of Conan could be a flop. I'm not completely convinced by the new combat model being used. I wasn't a big fan of Oblivion's combat and this looks to be similar.

Billabong81
i totaly forgot about that game. that game was destened to be a flop ever since it was announced for the 360. its gonna run like a fighting game from 1999/2000. that game had sooooo much potential. it began on focusing on player cities, p to p interaction, and then it ended up all about some crappy fighting system.
Billabong81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Billabong81
Member since 2004 • 188 Posts
[QUOTE="Billabong81"]

arangadillo

i totaly forgot about that game. that game was destened to be a flop ever since it was announced for the 360. its gonna run like a fighting game from 1999/2000. that game had sooooo much potential. it began on focusing on player cities, p to p interaction, and then it ended up all about some crappy fighting system.

Good point, I completely forgot that it is being co-developed for the 360. I'm sorry, I just don't see how you can make a deep and worthwhile MMO that runs on a console. The macros and everything else would just make it too confusing on a gamepad.

crimson_axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 crimson_axe
Member since 2004 • 250 Posts

Oh man, almost any of these games could really flop. However, we really have to look at this in a different way. Which games AREN'T going to flop?

Well, for starters, Halo 3 won't flop - even if it's a crappy game. It's practically already sold as many copies as say... WoW, and it's not even out yet.

Assassin's Creed won't flop. Basically, it's Prince of Persia (superb and proven series) set int he Crusades. Plus it has one hell of a cool protagonist. This one is guaranteed not to suck. Plus that producer chick Jade Whatshername sold me on it. The way she smiles at the camera as if shes smiling right at me was... pretty much took my fifty bucks right there. Hey! You think they hired a hot producer on accident? Cool looking game+good graphics+awesome gameplay+award winning dev team+great and proven game director + hot sales rep x 3 gaming platforms = at least2 million copies sold.

Cryss won't flop. Even if it didn't live up to the hype - it won't flop. It literally is the best looking game to come out. You don't make a game with those kinds of graphics and then make crappy gameplay. Hell, it's not hard to make an FPS in the first place. There are only like three or four things you need to do right to guarantee it's at least decent. Far Cry was decent, at least the first half was. This one should make good on the formula.

Mass Effect won't flop. It's BioWare for one, and it's their flagship new franchise. The engine they used on it was basically proven effective with Jade Empire (RPG Stats + Collision Detection). Sure, that was a sub-standard game, but it wasn't crappy in the least. Just sub-standard for Bioware, which is like saying "I want a Ferrari but I guess I'll have to stick with a Porche."

I think Tabula Rasa may flop, and I pray to all that is holy that Age of Conan won't, but you never know about MMO's. All of them are released in piss poor condition, and the ones that aren't are basically just copies of older games.

arangadillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 arangadillo
[QUOTE="arangadillo"][QUOTE="Billabong81"]

Billabong81

Good point, I completely forgot that it is being co-developed for the 360. I'm sorry, I just don't see how you can make a deep and worthwhile MMO that runs on a console. The macros and everything else would just make it too confusing on a gamepad.

How come noone has really brought that up about the game pad + Macros...it doesn't work...
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gooeykat

Oh man, almost any of these games could really flop. However, we really have to look at this in a different way. Which games AREN'T going to flop?

Well, for starters, Halo 3 won't flop - even if it's a crappy game. It's practically already sold as many copies as say... WoW, and it's not even out yet.

Assassin's Creed won't flop. Basically, it's Prince of Persia (superb and proven series) set int he Crusades. Plus it has one hell of a cool protagonist. This one is guaranteed not to suck. Plus that producer chick Jade Whatshername sold me on it. The way she smiles at the camera as if shes smiling right at me was... pretty much took my fifty bucks right there. Hey! You think they hired a hot producer on accident? Cool looking game+good graphics+awesome gameplay+award winning dev team+great and proven game director + hot sales rep x 3 gaming platforms = at least2 million copies sold.

Cryss won't flop. Even if it didn't live up to the hype - it won't flop. It literally is the best looking game to come out. You don't make a game with those kinds of graphics and then make crappy gameplay. Hell, it's not hard to make an FPS in the first place. There are only like three or four things you need to do right to guarantee it's at least decent. Far Cry was decent, at least the first half was. This one should make good on the formula.

Mass Effect won't flop. It's BioWare for one, and it's their flagship new franchise. The engine they used on it was basically proven effective with Jade Empire (RPG Stats + Collision Detection). Sure, that was a sub-standard game, but it wasn't crappy in the least. Just sub-standard for Bioware, which is like saying "I want a Ferrari but I guess I'll have to stick with a Porche."

I think Tabula Rasa may flop, and I pray to all that is holy that Age of Conan won't, but you never know about MMO's. All of them are released in piss poor condition, and the ones that aren't are basically just copies of older games.

crimson_axe

Maybe saying Mass Effect willflop is a bit harsh, but the hype surrounding this game is just crazy and with Bioware reps going around saying that "players will have thousands of planets to explore" is not helping matters. I mean seriously, "thousands"! They should at least hedge their bets a little and say "hundreds."

SgtSilock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 SgtSilock
Member since 2005 • 3167 Posts
What a stupid, stupid question to ask... How the hell are we suppose to know?!
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gooeykat
Its called a prediction, dumb-ass.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

Tabula Rasa for sure. Everyone expects it to reinvent the MMO genre, and Garriot has said so many things about how amazing and unique the game will be it's just rediculous.

I am sure it will have a decent fan base though. It's not a bad game, I just don't think it is anywhere near living up to the hype surrounding it.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dnuggs40
[QUOTE="lokstah"][QUOTE="Citan76"][QUOTE="D9-THC"]

ArcticSnake

Everybody on System wars is going gaga over the game. Hyped to be GOTY 110%. A lot of E3 awards also went to the game. Plus, KOTOR team = auto-hype.

Ya. gotta agree here. Mass Effect is probably the most hyped game on the 360 right now. Though I don't think it will flop, the game looks great (from what I have read, and saw in videos).

D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 D9-THC
Member since 2007 • 3081 Posts

Meh...

Hyping a game on Xbox is like hyping a turd after fajita night.

It will drop and be flushed just like every other turd.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dnuggs40

Meh...

Hyping a game on Xbox is like hyping a turd after fajita night.

It will drop and be flushed just like every other turd.

D9-THC

C'mon man...is there no limits to your foolishness?

UberWarrior8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 UberWarrior8
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I agree with StephenHu i have been alpha testing the game on my friends account, and the gameplay is great for the first few hours then it becomes a total bore

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dnuggs40

I agree with StephenHu i have been alpha testing the game on my friends account, and the gameplay is great for the first few hours then it becomes a total bore

UberWarrior8

Wow...that's not good to hear :(

Couple questions though:

1) Are you a fan of hack and slash type games? (Diablo I & II, Sacred, Dungeon Siege, ect)

and

2) What in particular is a bore?

Not judging your opinion (heck, it could actually suck) just trying to determine if there might be any bias towards the game. And i only ask becuase the majority of other people who have posted their impressions had positive things to say.