What is your opinion on the Free-To-Play Model?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

123Dan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 123Dan123
Member since 2003 • 14078 Posts

I think that there are games that have done it the right way and some have done it way wrong.

F2P games that make you pay for stuff that should already be in the game or that affects gameplay like; this user can't play with this person because he doesn't have this or that. I think that is the wrong approach.

What do you guys think? What would you like to see changed with this F2P model?

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

As long as the store items are purley cosmetic I have no objection, the SWTOR model looks great.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

It's improving, that's for sure. Years ago it woud've been P2W, but now it really is transfering to F2P. I wouldn't mind in-game advertising in exchange for cheaper prices though. It seems like some store items would quickly add up to 50-60 bucks, what the game could've cost and all that could've been free.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
i rike it because you can get anyone to just jump in. Tribes ascend does it rite. Quake live i would say did it well till they basically ruined the game last week by gimping free users so hard, and it affects premium users as well if they join a non prem server. So they basically split the game up.Can't vote maps, you are limited to like 2 maps, and they broke duel for premium users and free. (ID rox)
tribes ascend actually does it right
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
It's complicated to forecast the success of these business models before they are implemented and tested with the public. There are a few things that need to be avoided. You can't introduce items that are overpowering, there needs to be some sort of balance. And you can't alienate the people who can't buy items for whatever reason, so you need to have a way for them to earn credit the more they play. If it is done right, it can work really well. What makes it so brilliant is that free to play and instant accessibility means you'll get a lot of players, many of them paying customers. Convincing people to part with some cash for a good gaming experience is the goal. That requires a brilliant marketing team.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#6 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Tribes Ascend is about the only game I think they did a decent job with the model. So in my view most F2P games are a failure in terms of monetization and game design. They are improving mostly because the market is flooded with the model. I don't think the model will sustain itself, it's doing well mostly now because not a lot are free to play
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

that is going to ruin gaming now that companies like EA found that they can squeeze more their userbase with it

very, VERY few companies do it right.

timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

I dislike F2P personally...
I find F2P generally splits communities and the pricing on items is unreal.

LoL - $5 to $20 for a skin
Age of Empires Online - $20 for a single civilization (I think it went down however)
Generic Shooter - $5 + for a single gun
Etc. Etc.

Subscription games feel like another expense to pay and I'd much rather pay my cell phone bill then give it away for a video game.

Having said that I play LoL religiously and have never spent money on it, a quality game will get me to play it over it being free to try.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Krelian-co
I agree with this. The F2P model isn't the Devil, if done right it's actually pretty cool. Take for example LOTRO or the new upcoming SWTOR Models. You play as much as you want for FREE, with heaps of content. When you want to go further, you pay for expansions, new areas/dungeons etc. As long as it's not PAY2WIN, the F2P model is fine. I used to hate it, but now with these newer models I am liking it more because it does 2 things: 1) allows me to play more than one MMO (I can't afford 2 x Subs) 2) doesn't make me feel like I NEED to play the MMO to justify the price
123Dan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 123Dan123
I think it's pretty divided, though I don't dislike the F2P model if it's done right. League of Legends & Tribes for example.
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

More times it done horribly done and its nothing more than pay for power/win.

TF2, LOL, Tribes do it fairly well. Weapons should be bought with in game cash, skins, costumes w/e can be done how every they want as it doesn't effect the game.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 James161324

Age of Empires Online - $20 for a single civilization (I think it went down however)
Etc. Etc.

Subscription games feel like another expense to pay and I'd much rather pay my cell phone bill then give it away for a video game.

Having said that I play LoL religiously and have never spent money on it, a quality game will get me to play it over it being free to try.

timma25

Aoe online is 10 dollars a civ, and since each campaign last 20+ hrs its quite a good deal

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
If handled correctly it can provide developers a constant flow of income and speed up development like we've seen with the frequent updates for Tribes: Ascend or the big updates on LOTRO or the two graphical overhauls we've already seen for Blacklight: Retribution which hasn't even been out for that long. It makes sense if non-blockbuster and niche titles that focus on multiplayer to stick to the free to play model because it gets them a much larger player base than they would have otherwise and it also gives them much greater longevity that they wouldn't have otherwise due to blockbuster titles taking all the spotlight. Look at Team Fortress 2 for instance, it was released in 2007 and is still going strong with frequent updates in 2012, the multiplayer community for just about any other game from 2007 is effectively dead right now and we even have decent games released this year whose multiplayer communities are already dead and yet TF2 continues with its relentless unending spree of updates.
timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

[QUOTE="timma25"]

Etc. Etc.

James161324

Aoe online is 10 dollars a civ, and since each campaign last 20+ hrs its quite a good deal

Ah I played in the beta up to release for a bit and it was $20 before
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Krelian-co

[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

FelipeInside

I agree with this. The F2P model isn't the Devil, if done right it's actually pretty cool. Take for example LOTRO or the new upcoming SWTOR Models. You play as much as you want for FREE, with heaps of content. When you want to go further, you pay for expansions, new areas/dungeons etc. As long as it's not PAY2WIN, the F2P model is fine. I used to hate it, but now with these newer models I am liking it more because it does 2 things: 1) allows me to play more than one MMO (I can't afford 2 x Subs) 2) doesn't make me feel like I NEED to play the MMO to justify the price

actually i disagree, have you looked at the SWTOR f2p model? how is blocking so much cointent the "right way" to make a f2p? and we all know what "limited access" means to EA. Basically you still have to pay unless you want a heavily gimped experience.

original.png

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FelipeInside
^^ Lets you play the whole story content for free, including side quests. That's like what? 200+ hours PER CLASS.??? It also lets you play some flashpoints, some operations and some space battles. Basically 90% of the game except Raids. That's a lot of content in my books. The sub model is still there anyway...it's not like F2P is forced upon you with microstransactions. They just added the F2P model alongside the Sub Model.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#17 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

As long as its not pay to win, I'm happy. Team Fortress 2 is stuffed with free content and the best stuff can be found, unlocked or crafted, so its more for cosmetic purposes but still lets you get stuff earlier without causing a massive imbalance or destroying the progression system or whatever a bad F2P game tends to do.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i think F2P is fine as long as the lack of payment doesn't get in the way of the game. there are a ton of so called "free to play" games where the "free to play" is more a demo than anything else.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Tribes Ascend is about the only game I think they did a decent job with the model. So in my view most F2P games are a failure in terms of monetization and game design. They are improving mostly because the market is flooded with the model. I don't think the model will sustain itself, it's doing well mostly now because not a lot are free to playnutcrackr
Tribes Ascend has one of the worst F2P models. It's a really good game, but the weapons are very expensive. I would rather just pay the new release price of $50-80 and get all the content.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
[QUOTE="nutcrackr"]Tribes Ascend is about the only game I think they did a decent job with the model. So in my view most F2P games are a failure in terms of monetization and game design. They are improving mostly because the market is flooded with the model. I don't think the model will sustain itself, it's doing well mostly now because not a lot are free to playC_Rule
Tribes Ascend has one of the worst F2P models. It's a really good game, but the weapons are very expensive. I would rather just pay the new release price of $50-80 and get all the content.

you dont need to buy any of the weps stock sentinel is amazing stock pathfinder with normal sg is fine AR on soldier is the bestest thing ever. Eagle pistol is worth unlocking though.
jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

name a f2p game that is good.

o wait you can't because there aren't any.

f2p mmo = failed to profit.

f2p game = not a good game so they attach a premium service to try to make money.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 James161324

[QUOTE="C_Rule"][QUOTE="nutcrackr"]Tribes Ascend is about the only game I think they did a decent job with the model. So in my view most F2P games are a failure in terms of monetization and game design. They are improving mostly because the market is flooded with the model. I don't think the model will sustain itself, it's doing well mostly now because not a lot are free to playJigglyWiggly_

you dont need to buy any of the weps stock sentinel is amazing stock pathfinder with normal sg is fine AR on soldier is the bestest thing ever. Eagle pistol is worth unlocking though.

Thay may be somewhat true but no weapon so cost more then a few dollars

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 James161324

f2p game = not a good game so they attach a premium service to try to make money.

jakes456

TF2, League of Leagues, AOE Online, Tribes, are all great games

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FelipeInside

jakes456

Name a post of yours that is good.

Oh wait you can't because there aren't any.

Anyway:

LOTRO says hi...

LOL says hi...

TF2 says hi...

Tribes says hi...

AOE says hi...

and the list goes on...

Kane04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Kane04
Member since 2006 • 2115 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

Krelian-co

actually i disagree, have you looked at the SWTOR f2p model? how is blocking so much cointent the "right way" to make a f2p? and we all know what "limited access" means to EA. Basically you still have to pay unless you want a heavily gimped experience.

original.png

Yikes I haven't looked at this before (thanks for posting). I like it and I don't, if in one hand apparently it's not gonna be P2W (thank the Jebus) on the other is extremely limited. I mean limited travel options? REALLY? Like it wasn't boring enough seeing the taxi give you a tour of the planet instead of going where you wanted... I hope at least they just take away the fleet pass. Speaking of travel how about you do something about ships EA? Never felt like I owned one, it's just a gimik to go around and waste time on the loading screens. Just hope this model doesn't bring the entire kindergarten population that drops out of PvP at the slightest sign of trouble.
123Dan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 123Dan123
I think a F2P model with having everything you'd expect and not having to buy stuff that should already be in the game and have a $ system where users can earn their own by playing the game, winning or doing certain things.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BrunoBRS

Krelian-co

original.png

this is what i meant when i said some F2P games are glorified demos.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Krelian-co

[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] I agree with this. The F2P model isn't the Devil, if done right it's actually pretty cool. Take for example LOTRO or the new upcoming SWTOR Models. You play as much as you want for FREE, with heaps of content. When you want to go further, you pay for expansions, new areas/dungeons etc. As long as it's not PAY2WIN, the F2P model is fine. I used to hate it, but now with these newer models I am liking it more because it does 2 things: 1) allows me to play more than one MMO (I can't afford 2 x Subs) 2) doesn't make me feel like I NEED to play the MMO to justify the priceBrunoBRS

original.png

pretty much what i was saying, some f2p like SWTOR just let you "go in" but if you actually want to play the game you still have to pay, at least i wouldn't play a game with this model unless i was paying, and with EA in charge is a matter of months before microtransactions go out of hand, just look at the model they are going to use in Ultima online, total pay 2 win where they sell almost everything.

EA = the cancer of gaming

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
As long as it only lets you pay for minor advantages and not sets of armour that are better than end game stuff then I'm fine with it. Cosmetics especially, just owning something that looks good and makes you say "I want that" is the way to go, WoW could easily survive on that alone, I've seen so many items in WoW that people pay good money for even when they are paying for the subscription, it's just plain milkage to me and WoW fanboys are too happy to pay it. GW2 and TOR have a good system for F2P as in not for advantageous means, just a little help here and there with some cosmetics thrown in.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

original.png

Krelian-co

pretty much what i was saying, some f2p like SWTOR just let you "go in" but if you actually want to play the game you still have to pay, at least i wouldn't play a game with this model unless i was paying, and with EA in charge is a matter of months before microtransactions go out of hand, just look at the model they are going to use in Ultima online, total pay 2 win where they sell almost everything.

But we don't know what "limited" means yet? No one has played the F2P model...?
SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
I think free to play is a wonderful idea and some games do it very well and they deserve the success they get. Though i think theres a huge difference between f2p + Pay to win. Pay too Win Means i will not play the game no matter what.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I love it. The more games that do it, the more will do it right. Eventually there will be some really good standards that F2P games follow.

However, the traditional retail model will always exist. I just can't wait to see the prices for retail games drop because of the F2P alternative.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] this is what i meant when i said some F2P games are glorified demos.FelipeInside

it's written right there. there's a weekly quota to a bunch of mission types, and F2P players have to go on queue (which usually means wait for hours to get in). not to mention you can't choose your species as a F2P player.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FelipeInside

BrunoBRS

it's written right there. there's a weekly quota to a bunch of mission types, and F2P players have to go on queue (which usually means wait for hours to get in). not to mention you can't choose your species as a F2P player.

Limited selection of species..... weekly quota of missions.... full story..... that's still like 200+ hours x class.... so I reckon that's a lot of free gameplay.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] But we don't know what "limited" means yet? No one has played the F2P model...?

Limited selection of species..... weekly quota of missions.... full story..... that's still like 200+ hours x class.... so I reckon that's a lot of free gameplay.

that's still a lot of limitations. and you underestimate the power of queues. when you have to queue for a game first thing in the morning because you plan on playing it in the afternoon, chances are you just won't play the game anymore. i'm not saying i have evidence that it'll happen with TOR, but MMO queues with premium players skipping through it take hours to move on all the other so-called "free" MMOs.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] it's written right there. there's a weekly quota to a bunch of mission types, and F2P players have to go on queue (which usually means wait for hours to get in). not to mention you can't choose your species as a F2P player.

that's still a lot of limitations. and you underestimate the power of queues. when you have to queue for a game first thing in the morning because you plan on playing it in the afternoon, chances are you just won't play the game anymore. i'm not saying i have evidence that it'll happen with TOR, but MMO queues with premium players skipping through it take hours to move on all the other so-called "free" MMOs.

So ur saying Free Players should have the same rights as Premium Players? Of course not. SWTOR isn't going F2P, they are just adding the Free Model for people that don't want to sub monthly. With that comes limitations and annoyances, simple. You can choose to put up with some things and play for Free, or pay.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Limited selection of species..... weekly quota of missions.... full story..... that's still like 200+ hours x class.... so I reckon that's a lot of free gameplay.

So ur saying Free Players should have the same rights as Premium Players? Of course not. SWTOR isn't going F2P, they are just adding the Free Model for people that don't want to sub monthly. With that comes limitations and annoyances, simple. You can choose to put up with some things and play for Free, or pay.

no, i'm just saying that "freemium" kinda defeats the purpose of having a free option in the first place, because it gimps the free experience to the point it's borderline unplayable. look at battlefield heroes. unless you pay for the other weapons, you're limited to the extremely crappy, extremely underpowered guns.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] that's still a lot of limitations. and you underestimate the power of queues. when you have to queue for a game first thing in the morning because you plan on playing it in the afternoon, chances are you just won't play the game anymore. i'm not saying i have evidence that it'll happen with TOR, but MMO queues with premium players skipping through it take hours to move on all the other so-called "free" MMOs.

no, i'm just saying that "freemium" kinda defeats the purpose of having a free option in the first place, because it gimps the free experience to the point it's borderline unplayable. look at battlefield heroes. unless you pay for the other weapons, you're limited to the extremely crappy, extremely underpowered guns.

Of course, but it depends on the game. Like you say BF Heroes is the wrong way to do it. With SWTOR you get 200+ hours on each class for free, you just have to put up with minor things, like limited travel (so u have to run there instead of travelling), weekly quotas of flashpoints (so maybe you only get to do 10 instead unlimited) etc etc. It still lets you play, develop ur characters..... countless hours of free gameplay. I really don't see why people complain, and if so, you have the paid model.
r4v3gl0ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#40 r4v3gl0ry
Member since 2006 • 1285 Posts

It's getting better. Team Fortress 2 and Tribes Ascend haven't converted themselves into P2W games, and I'd argue that even MMORPGs like Vindictus have adapted well to the model. With that said, the majority of games that subscribe to this model are not like the aforementioned titles and are certainly not like other subscription-based games-turned-f2p: they feature shops that sell more than just cosmetic items. And this is the main reason why many players are turned off by the f2p model.

I don't think f2p-pay-to-win games are bad, nor do I think their developers are greedy or wrong. If you're approaching f2p games with the mindset that you deserve the best service and quality, you're in for a stressful crisis. You'll be looking left and right for the perfect f2p game, and that seldom ever succeeds. Just learn from the experience and move on.

r4v3gl0ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#41 r4v3gl0ry
Member since 2006 • 1285 Posts

I love it. The more games that do it, the more will do it right. Eventually there will be some really good standards that F2P games follow.

However, the traditional retail model will always exist. I just can't wait to see the prices for retail games drop because of the F2P alternative.

Wasdie

I agree with this. The only way to refine the current f2p standards and to actually solidify them is to wait for more f2p games that hold themselves to high standards.

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

In general, I don't like free-to-play. It can be done right, but it is too easy for game companies to exploit gamers for money, and mess up the competitive balance between players.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
It's interesting but ultimately effects every game for the worse. Having a currency model for every game and then grinding for additional stuff gets old after awhile.
Kane04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Kane04
Member since 2006 • 2115 Posts

In general, I don't like free-to-play. It can be done right, but it is too easy for game companies to exploit gamers for money, and mess up the competitive balance between players.

Falconoffury
I really really really hope it doesn't end like that. But like someone said, the game is not going F2P, they are just adding a free option for people that don't feel like paying. For the ones that already have a subscription nothing will chance, so fingers crossed to keep a 2nd real money currency away. I'd just like if someone at EA locked the suits in the broom closet and put on the To Do List things fans are asking for that would genuinely make the game better and more fun to play, because in the long run that's all that matters to have a healthy growing community IMO, if people don't have fun, they don't stick around.
123Dan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 123Dan123
I think it's a great model for indie developers, but then I see bigger companies coming in, taking over and giving the model a bad name, I hope not though. But with seeing companies like Crytek coming planning for the F2P model, it's going to become a lot more competitive for the indie devs.
Kell_the_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Kell_the_Gamer
Member since 2012 • 885 Posts
I hate it, i hate it with a passion. If the game sucks people will go 'you can't hate on it, it's free." If it punishes for being a free player they will say "Hey, unless you can earn the items for free, you'll just to pay hundreds of more hours to get it is all." If you get dominated by a person using cash shop power up items they will say "I'm supporting the game, you're not, so this is fair." I would rather have a flat monthly fee with everyone on even grounds. I got **** at WoW when they offered items you had to pay extra for, but at least they're purely just fun items for now. The only FTP game I'd like is TF2 because Valve still allows mods and private servers, I don't know any other FTP shooter that does that. I don't like RPG elements in action games however, and with FTP games it's pretty much a requirement so people can feel a need to progress so you can sell items that help in progression be it faster level, better chance of upgrading a weapon or etc.
xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

I don't like free to play games. I like to pay once for a game, and then spend the rest of my time playing it without anybody asking me for money for anything else at any point after I made the initial purchase. I guess I'm old school like that.

Kell_the_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Kell_the_Gamer
Member since 2012 • 885 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]^^ Lets you play the whole story content for free, including side quests. That's like what? 200+ hours PER CLASS.??? It also lets you play some flashpoints, some operations and some space battles. Basically 90% of the game except Raids. That's a lot of content in my books. The sub model is still there anyway...it's not like F2P is forced upon you with microstransactions. They just added the F2P model alongside the Sub Model.

Now THAT I like. I wouldn't mind free to play if they offered a flat monthly fee for full access on content and MAYBE some extras you still have to buy if they were useless and you only had to buy once. Instead I have found games where items 'expire' and you have to buy them again. Paying for all power ups in some MMOs I used to play cost $50 per character per month. Fans of the games justify it saying since it is so expensive people only do it to own in special events and what not, what about me that can't do it at all? Others justify that it is a time vs money thing, players with more time are balanced out by people who have jobs so can't play as much so they can buy to 'catch up', Not only is this argument completely stupid because the games clearly favor people with money but I don't have time nor money and some people have both. The best model for FPS is a special deal to have all power up and advantages (which there has to be because no game survives on only truly optional items) for $20 a month, including the better drop rates, faster leveling, safe upgrading, etc. While still have tons of useless stuff to buy such as armor dyes, fancy clothes, novelty items and what not that you KEEP instead of having them expire and rebuy them again.