What is "TMPIN2" and why is it so hot?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts

ravenguard90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ravenguard90
Member since 2005 • 3064 Posts

Hm... Could be the Northbridge. How old is your motherboard?

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RobboElRobbo

Hm... Could be the Northbridge. How old is your motherboard?

ravenguard90

Less than a year old. Gigabyte GA-M474GM-S2 Micro ATX. I just read through this thread and the guy is having the same problem as me witht he same mobo. He touched his northbridge and didn't feel heat until like 3 seconds. http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=761667

DJ419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DJ419
Member since 2005 • 1016 Posts

It's a faulty sensor inherent in Gigabyte motherboards when using that particular temperature reader. I know three people with Gigabyte motherboards and all three of them have TMPIN2 readings above 80 degrees celsius. Nothing to worry about.

Rhamsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Rhamsus
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts

without doing a whole mess of googling, those are temp sensors on your mobo. depending on where they are, they can be slightly hotter or cooler due to a number of factors. there isn't much to worry about.

edit: if that doesnt sate your curiousity break out your mobo manual, and do some reading. there should be mention of them.

It's a faulty sensor inherent in Gigabyte motherboards when using that particular temperature reader. I know three people with Gigabyte motherboards and all three of them have TMPIN2 readings above 80 degrees celsius. Nothing to worry about.

DJ419

Happens on Speedfan, and Coretemp too. Its not really a faulty, so much as poor design and placement.

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RobboElRobbo

DJ419

That's good news

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

looking at mine, GIGABYTE mobo here, 47 degs ^c on the NB...not too sure what faulty talk is going on here...

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RobboElRobbo

looking at mine, GIGABYTE mobo here, 47 degs ^c on the NB...not too sure what faulty talk is going on here...

samuraiguns

I think it depends on the mobo, my second post has a thread where someone touches their northbridge and it isn't hot.

Rhamsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rhamsus
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts
[QUOTE="samuraiguns"]

RobboElRobbo

I think it depends on the mobo, my second post has a thread where someone touches their northbridge and it isn't hot.

Read my post. Its not NB.