What do you want in a perfect strategy game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Eadara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Eadara
Member since 2006 • 2163 Posts

complexity or simplicity?

Micromanagement or Macromanagement?

Huge Armies or small tactical squads?

What is in your dream RTS?

DDX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 DDX2
Member since 2004 • 6316 Posts

i think Dawn of War sums up my dream RTS.

Compelling story (nothing beats the 40k universe)

intense combat

small unit tactics

uber units to die for

Its pefect

Jiggly_Wiggly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jiggly_Wiggly
Member since 2006 • 1912 Posts
I like age of mytholigy but it has no micro. So i cant press f1 and E, like command and conquer. I want intense combat Medium sized, more on the large side I don't want the sufer ffectiveness crazy like command and conquer, In age of mytholigy if you had the wrong unit you wouldn't suffer that much
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

Eadara
One where you dont have to play the game since the its release to be good.
Eadara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Eadara
Member since 2006 • 2163 Posts
[QUOTE="Eadara"]

Swiftstrike5
One where you dont have to play the game since the its release to be good.

so you just expect someone who's played for a day to be better than someone who's played for a year?
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
[QUOTE="Eadara"][QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"] One where you dont have to play the game since the its release to be good.

so you just expect someone who's played for a day to be better than someone who's played for a year?

I didnt say that... people who play 24/7 in RTS ALWAYS win against someone who is a casual player (Unless they throw the game). In FPS you have a small, but decent chance at killing someone even if they've played every second of every day since it was released. In RTS you dont have that.
visceron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#7 visceron
Member since 2005 • 2160 Posts
Something like Company of Heroes, it needs the right click scroll like the C&C games, heroes from BFME: 2, more command point abilities, super weapons, a really far zoom out like Supreme Commander, maybe a picture in picture like Earth 2160, tons of upgrades for units, tons of different units, useful infantry, and a resource management system something similar to Empire Earth 2. No eras like Age of Empires, Rise of Nations, Empire Earth, etc I cant stand those. Its also got to use the same basic interface I'm used to like the Relic games but with a fast scroll like the C&C games. I don't want the crappy Total Annihilation's interface or Ground Patrol interface. Also gathering no more than 3 resources and capturing points for resources combined would be nice. Games with 10 different resources is a hassle. One other cool feature, from a game I can't remember, was the ability to go into first person mode with the hero.
pigman239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pigman239
Member since 2004 • 608 Posts
being a really casual RTS fan, i like traditional and simple ones like warcraft 3....being a wow fan i love the warcraft universe, and i think that game had a great balance of scale and complexity, yet it was simple enough to be accessible to someone like me.
Blade8Aus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Blade8Aus
Member since 2006 • 1819 Posts

i only really play EE when it comes to RTS

id like them to make the units fight like fps bots now that would be cool

ravingrabbid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 ravingrabbid
Member since 2006 • 214 Posts
simple and intense like Starcraft
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58310 Posts

I want unit customization options like in Earth 2150 and Earth 2160, with all types of options such as missiles, heavy missiles, cannons, lasers, etc (depends on era of the RTS).

I want a decent zoom, with the option to go into "sensor mode" like in Homeworld.

I want squads, like in Company of Heroes, that act realistically and automatically search for cover. 

I want vehicles to look realistic and cool...I DONT want them to look like prototype plastic-fantastic cars with smooth corners.  I want bulky, sharp cornered, ugly vehicles.  Except planes, planes can look sleek and purdy.

I want simultaneous space and land/air/sea combat.  None of the Star Wars "space battle first, land battle second" stuff but I mean at the same time!  I want to set up a base on the planet while I battle for an orbital position so I can provide "space artillery" support to my ground troops.  This depends on the era of the game as well, however.

Lord_Tigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#12 Lord_Tigger
Member since 2002 • 228 Posts

The Total War series has the RTS/TBS combination I've been in love with since I played Lord of the Realms III.  However, I would like a much stronger power in economy and politics.  A real challenge should be to win the game through means other than force (although force is fun, don't get me wrong).  Micromangement shouldn't be any more detailed than the general tax rate and construction settings in the TW series.  The aesthetics of where to place a building or happy little gardens, a la Sims and Sim City, gets old quick and has little bearing on a real game.

Oh...must have realistic naval combat as well, where wind current and cannon ammo makes a difference.

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts
so much stuff in Earth 2160 was done correctly - the grouped unit creations, the ability to manufacture your own units, and the PIP- problem is; 2160 was too hard and too slow for anyone to actually play it. If someone could put those features with the intensity of 40k DoW and CoH, they would have the best RTS of all time. 
edgeofforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 edgeofforever
Member since 2004 • 349 Posts
Starcraft is my dream RTS, it's perfect, it's everything that it can be.
brain20035

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#15 brain20035
Member since 2004 • 2042 Posts
A dream strategy games definitely needs astonishing graphics, but its not all just about it!
the gameplay should have the specifications below:
1.detailed charachters
2.engaging story
3.it should be as hard as possible but simoltaneously playable! I mean it shouldn't be so easy that you get bored of it, or it shouldn't be that hard that you lose your hopes of finnishing it! a good example of  a pretty easy strategy game, in my opinion, is the rise of legends. with the same strategy I finished every level and didn't even lose once! but a game like warcraft III, just WOW!! the game has you on the edge of your seat in some levels!(what a long specification!!!)
4.resources should be balanced well! there shouldn't be too much of them or vice versa
and some other specifications I couldn't remind of now!!
visceron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#16 visceron
Member since 2005 • 2160 Posts
so much stuff in Earth 2160 was done correctly - the grouped unit creations, the ability to manufacture your own units, and the PIP- problem is; 2160 was too hard and too slow for anyone to actually play it. If someone could put those features with the intensity of 40k DoW and CoH, they would have the best RTS of all time. krazyorange
The one thing I really wished Earth 2160 had was customizable presets for the way you wanted to build certain units.
someone6669

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 someone6669
Member since 2006 • 252 Posts

My dream RTS hasn't been built yet (or it was, but I haven't found it :P)

I hate micromanagement. My dream RTS would be ALL macromanagement. I can't even imagine how it will look like, but it is out there

broomtree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 broomtree
Member since 2004 • 28 Posts
Well I'm unusually picky about my perfect RTS.

-Time period should be set in the medieval times!(As long as it's medieval, I don't care where the setting is whether it be Europe, Asia, Africa, Middle East, Americas)

-Battles on an huge maps and many choices open for strategy (However AOE series are an exception since they rock anyways)

-A wide variety of units, cool looking infantry/cavalry units etc. (eg. knights!)

-Lastly, lots and lots of civilizations/factions as possible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 105506
Member since 2004 • 5285 Posts
black and white 2 is perfect for me
monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#20 monco59
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts
Relic. As long as it's made by Relic, you are guaranteed a perfect strategy game.
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts
kinda modern with great gameplay - i can say C&C: Generals and C&C 3: Tiberium Wars are perfect examples of perfect RTS for me
Sushbag88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sushbag88
Member since 2005 • 403 Posts

Races that are distinct and not perfectly symetrical.

A reasonable unit cap so you can focus on actual battles and not constant production.

A reasonable number of units per race so that you can actually use everything at least once per game.

Balance such that there is always a counter for a given strategy.