what do you think about this gaming lap top ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1 kingcrimson24
Member since 2012 • 824 Posts

ok , I'm going to university in another City by the end of summer . and I can't bring a Desktop PC or Xbox One everywhere with myself so i thought I can get gaming lap top ... so searching around , i found this for 1500 dollars :

Toshiba Qosmio X70 , with Coreâ„¢ i7-4700MQ Processor , 16 GB of ram aaand 3GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GTX 770 .

here is the link : http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/qosmio/X70/X70-AST3GX3

sounds really powerful but since it is a lap top i don't know if it is as good as a desktop with the same spec . but I really like to have my games with me when I'm away from home . since I'm not a pro in PC gaming , i came here to ask .

can it run games like Witcher 3 , Watch dogs and Batman Arkham night at High settings ? is it worth the Price ?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Lenovo Y510P dual 755m

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kingcrimson24

@PredatorRules: that didn't really answer my questions tho ...

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@kingcrimson24 said:

@PredatorRules: that didn't really answer my questions tho ...

I've recommended you a better gaming laptop for cheaper price; Getting 770m will be downgrade for about 10-20%

You can play Assassins Creed 4 on ultra on 30fps, CoD Ghosts on 30fps on ultra, BF4 on ultra on 30fps, Crysis 3 and Metro LL are a bit heavier games so on ultra it's 20fps.

I can't say anything about Watch Dogs it's going to be a bad port - how much will it affect - that I can't answer, Witcher 3 is another heavy game so don't expect it on ultra, about Batman probably ultra with 40+ fps

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kingcrimson24

@PredatorRules: thanks ! at the first look i thought GT 755M is weaker than 770 but then i noticed it is a dual gpu .

but i'm a bit concerned about that 8 Gb ram . can it be upgraded to 16 Gb ?

I don't mind playing at high settings instead ultra thought . good frame rate is more important for me .

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@kingcrimson24 said:

@PredatorRules: thanks ! at the first look i thought GT 755M is weaker than 770 but then i noticed it is a dual gpu .

but i'm a bit concerned about that 8 Gb ram . can it be upgraded to 16 Gb ?

Yes and for the probably next 3 years you won't need more than 8Gb of RAM

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kingcrimson24

good , thanks again ;)

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Do not go for the Lenovo with duel 755m's. You can get a laptop with an 860m with 16gb of ram, it's the same performance + 8gb of ram and it's usually in the same price range. You'll run into many a problem with that duel GPU setup and have only 3 hours of battery life to keep it running. I went through this in another thread and then did some reading up on it and there is no reason to burden yourself with that duel GPU settup and lose the batter life as well, when their are single card setups worth the same price that are just as powerful and better on battery life.

The laptop you linked is way overpriced. By a long shot. You can find ones with the 860m and same specs or close too it that equal the 770m for under $1,200. Do some searching around newegg, amazan and the likes and I'm sure you'll find one worth the asking price that meets your needs. Hell if your willing to spend $1,400 you could get one with an 870m I bet.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GeryGo  Moderator

@ribstaylor1 said:

Do not go for the Lenovo with duel 755m's. You can get a laptop with an 860m with 16gb of ram, it's the same performance + 8gb of ram and it's usually in the same price range. You'll run into many a problem with that duel GPU setup and have only 3 hours of battery life to keep it running. I went through this in another thread and then did some reading up on it and there is no reason to burden yourself with that duel GPU settup and lose the batter life as well, when their are single card setups worth the same price that are just as powerful and better on battery life.

The laptop you linked is way overpriced. By a long shot. You can find ones with the 860m and same specs or close too it that equal the 770m for under $1,200. Do some searching around newegg, amazan and the likes and I'm sure you'll find one worth the asking price that meets your needs. Hell if your willing to spend $1,400 you could get one with an 870m I bet.

The 860 is even worse than the 770 and the Dual 755 is better than the 770

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-860M-vs-GeForce-GTX-770M

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Your wrong. That link proves my point. Do not go with the ideapad with duel GPU's. It will cause you massive headaches and problems in the end you wouldn't have with a single card setup. Also the 3hr batter life is pathetic when compared to computer that are using the super efficient 860m's, and it outputs far less heat increasing the lifespan of the laptop. If I was in the market for a laptop I wouldn't be willing to buy anything besides the new 800 series as they output far less heat and use far less power then the previous generations. The only thing a 770m has going for it is the extra gigabyte of memory, and a better ability at being overclocked. Besides that it currently shows almost no real advantage over an 860m in games, so if your not overclocking it loses most of it's advantage over the 860m.

PoisonBagels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PoisonBagels
Member since 2002 • 7825 Posts

When I went to college I imagined I would still be playing a lot of games. I really didn't. I still made a little time to compete with my team in UT2k4, but the scene was dying down. I forgot about most of the new stuff coming out and got a lot more involved socially. If I were you I'd wait until you get there for a couple months and see if you still want it or need to spend that much money. That is a lot to drop on something that you might not use that much and money that could be better spent on things you will actually need. When I graduated I dumped a bunch in a really nice desktop now that I actually have time to play. I have it spit so 2 users can have their own desktop and I can invite friends over without them having to bring anything, it's pretty cool. However, if I spent as much time in college playing games as I do now (or I did in high-school) I wouldn't have as many met people in my life that mean as much today. I still probably would be nervous/awkward around new people.

In any case, I'd wait a couple months to see how your lifestyle is. The worst that happens is you play your xbox or whatever while the price of your hardware drops and new stuff comes out, which is never a bad idea. You probably don't need it now even though it feels like you do.

Oh, if you do get it, make sure you get a nice monitor, maybe one you can turn vertical. When you have to write papers it's pretty awesome to be able to put your source on one screen and your essay on the other.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Something to consider with regard to selecting SLI/Crossfire or single GPU solutions:

The SLI GPU is undoubtly quite capable gamingwise. But, you're stuck with a power-hungry GPU even when you're not gaming, resulting in shorter battery life during non-gaming use.

With a single GPU solution, the graphics setup is usually a dedicated GPU plus power-sipping Intel graphics. When gaming (usually plugged to AC power) the laptop uses the dedicated GPU. When not gaming or on battery, the laptop defaults to the Intel graphics, resulting in longer battery life.

I'm not sure if there is a setup with a dedicated SLI GPU and Intel graphics together.

Whichever solution you choose, you'll spend most of your time gaming only while the laptop is plugged in.

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kingcrimson24

thanks everyone , one of the things that i didn't pay attention to was the battery life . but i'm sure if I'm gonna play with lap top it will be mostly plugged in .

@PoisonBagels: I don't really play more than 4 - 5 hours every week . my main idea was having a few games around with myself to fill my free times just like now . but you're right , i think it is best to wait longer . I might even get my own house in that city which in that case I can bring my Xbox with myself .

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

None of those games you mentioned are out yet. So, everyone will be guessing on how good those games will run. But notebookcheck.net's review of the GTX 770m may give you a clue as to how good later and demanding games would run.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-770M.88995.0.html

The laptop you chose has a native res of 1080p. The GTX 770m is equivalent to a desktop GTX 570 (and the GTX 860m). I'd say, it's dated if you stick to 1080p. If you use lower resolutions (900p or even 768p) and scale it to the 17" LCD screen, then I think you're fine.