what do you guys think of free to play mmos

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ironfist66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ironfist66
Member since 2006 • 93 Posts

i was just thinking of getting into free to play mmorpg they look fun and most importantly cheap i mean let's just face it world of warcraft is just too expensive

so what do you guys think oh and maybe put ur faveorite down

The_Broken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 The_Broken
Member since 2004 • 232 Posts

Theyre watered down and crappy versions of a mmo with a monthly fee.

fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 fudgeblood
Member since 2008 • 3165 Posts
Free games are often terrible, MMO's in general are often terrible, do the math. However, try Runes of Magic, it's supposed to be alright (and a shameless copy of WoW).
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#4 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Free games are often terrible, MMO's in general are often terrible, do the math. However, try Runes of Magic, it's supposed to be alright (and a shameless copy of WoW).fudgeblood

I was about to say the same.

Try runes indeed,in many ways it´s even better than WOW.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#5 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
The only one I've played that I can in good conscience call 'fun' is Perfect World. Graphics are surprisingly decent for a free MMORPG (especially characters) and it doesn't get too grindy until you hit higher levels.
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
Pay for a real one, that's what I have to say.
Ironfist66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ironfist66
Member since 2006 • 93 Posts

you guys don't like free stuff huh

vertex68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 vertex68
Member since 2008 • 206 Posts

Most are good for what they are. (I don't think many of them try to pass themselves off as being deep or hard-core).

Im not interested in playing most of them though.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Don't care for them overly. The only one I am looking forward to is the one that Runic Games is developing.

MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MadCat46
Member since 2004 • 1494 Posts
As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I'll have to say Guildwars as being the best when it comes to no monthly fees but you need to buy it like you would with any other game. There's also a sequel coming up which will also have no monthly fees. And Perfect World as the one that's completely free to download and play.
Gamerz1569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gamerz1569
Member since 2008 • 2087 Posts

Rakion, free MMO although it runs through micro transactions. Its actually quite fun you won't notice the grinding until quite higher levels. And there are events which give a ton load of xp which is enough to level from 1-21.

johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts
just don't like mmo's there fun at first when u gain levels quickly but then become a grind and become boring to me.
walleteater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 walleteater
Member since 2005 • 224 Posts

I like to go around and try the mmo's despite how bad most are. Mabinogi was definantly unique. Probably my personal favourite out of F2P. ummm... shadowbane as low requirements cuz it old, but its pretty deep in character building and such. its now completely free, i used to play back when it was 15$ a month, and u also get botht he expansions free aswell. You could always play a private server of a p2p, but the communities are bleak to say the least. Face of mankind was definantly cool, but it might not be free anymore. good luck

StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

The only one I've played that I can in good conscience call 'fun' is Perfect World. Graphics are surprisingly decent for a free MMORPG (especially characters) and it doesn't get too grindy until you hit higher levels.DJ_Lae

Yeah, Perfect World wasn't too bad.

tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tony2077ca
Member since 2005 • 5242 Posts

there are good ones like prefect world rappelz even dragonica online is good

eurasia1011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 eurasia1011
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I've been jumping from one to another over the past few months but I decided to settle on Luminary for the moment. It's interesting sans the cute graphics. There's a pretty in-depth economic and political system. It's not everyone's cup of tea but it gives me my fix. As for F2P MMO's in general, I think a lot of them tend to have a set lifespan. Lots of players can get into the game because it's free but usually due to some support issues of item mall imbalance, a lot also quit after a while. In contrast to subscription MMOs, they have a smaller influx of players since not everyone is willing to pay monthly but those that do tend to invest a good amount of time and money into it.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

Don't care for them overly. The only one I am looking forward to is the one that Runic Games is developing.

Whiteblade999
Yeah the Torchlight MMO could be really good.
Lucifericus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lucifericus
Member since 2009 • 363 Posts
I find them to be an incredible waste of time, even more so than pay to play mmo. Then again, I don't like mmo's in general.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

i was just thinking of getting into free to play mmorpg they look fun and most importantly cheap i mean let's just face it world of warcraft is just too expensive

Ironfist66
- Buggy as hell - Full of spammers - Full of cheaters - Some are dangerous (virus wise)
blueflame8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blueflame8
Member since 2007 • 107 Posts

Ironfist66
Free MMORPGs can still be pretty good, I used to play Shaiya which I thought was amazing, although it does get slightly grindy right towards the end. There's a lot of people playing that game and pvp is a blast (well it was before I stopped). I then moved to Guild wars and although it was great, the community in high end PvP was almost non existant, as well as too many people that had already completed it - which sort of ruined it for me. I would recommend Shaiya, feel free to ask any questions about it if you want^^
GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

This is the one I'm waiting for:

I'm hoping its going to be good, and I'm pretty sure I won't be let down.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

GPAddict

Do you know if it will be a full blown MMO, or like GW1 where they are all instances...?

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
generally bad but there are a few good ones. D&DO is free now and i know it was fun when i played it in beta.
GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GPAddict

[QUOTE="GPAddict"]

FelipeInside

Do you know if it will be a full blown MMO, or like GW1 where they are all instances...?

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/faq/#six

Will Guild Wars 2 be an MMO?

Yes. Guild Wars 2 provides a massive, online persistent world.

How is Guild Wars 2 different from other MMOs?

While Guild Wars 2 adds a persistent-world experience, it retains the unique characteristics of the original game, including strong narrative, extensive instanced gameplay, anti-grind design philosophy, and strong support for competitive play.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

They marketed the first Guild Wars as an MMO, then changed it to whatever it is they labled it now when everyone had played it and realized it wasn't an MMO at all. Wonder if it's going to be the same again.

I'll believe it when I see it.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -Unreal-

I'll have to say Guildwars as being the best when it comes to no monthly fees but you need to buy it like you would with any other game. There's also a sequel coming up which will also have no monthly fees. And Perfect World as the one that's completely free to download and play.Treflis

Refer to my above comment.

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GPAddict

They marketed the first Guild Wars as an MMO, then changed it to whatever it is they labled it now when everyone had played it and realized it wasn't an MMO at all. Wonder if it's going to be the same again.

-Unreal-

They never marketed it as an MMO, they have always referred to Guild Wars as a Competitive Online Role Playing Game.

T-Baggimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 T-Baggimus
Member since 2009 • 96 Posts

Ironfist66

Ugh no offense but I think people that say "WoW is too expensive OMG" are too young to even play them game. If you had a job, $15/month is chump change. Do yourself a favor, get a job, pony up the $10-15/month for the REAL MMOs, and enjoy.

tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tony2077ca
Member since 2005 • 5242 Posts

[QUOTE="Ironfist66"]

T-Baggimus

Ugh no offense but I think people that say "WoW is too expensive OMG" are too young to even play them game. If you had a job, $15/month is chump change. Do yourself a favor, get a job, pony up the $10-15/month for the REAL MMOs, and enjoy.

they are real mmo's and do yourself a favor and go away and the same for the rest of the nay sayers
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

the best thing about WoW is that little kids usually cant play it because of the monthly fee.

Now if only TF2 had a monthly fee.. that would be great. (jk)

Avatar image for ZiggyStardust66
ZiggyStardust66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 ZiggyStardust66
Member since 2009 • 28 Posts

Free to Play MMO's suck slightly more than Pay to Play ones, but hey, they're free.

I'll put in a vote for Guild Wars, or Guild Wars 2 if you can be bothered waiting for that. Just as good as a Pay to Play game imo, but without the monthly fees. You just buy the game for $30, or however much it is now, then that's it. Bit different from the Wow style games as well, which is nice.

Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts
[QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]

zomglolcats
Yeah the Torchlight MMO could be really good.

Yeah, I'm totally looking forward to the Torchlight MMO. Too bad it's still so far away :(
T-Baggimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 T-Baggimus
Member since 2009 • 96 Posts

[QUOTE="T-Baggimus"]

[QUOTE="Ironfist66"]

tony2077ca

they are real mmo's and do yourself a favor and go away and the same for the rest of the nay sayers

Name me one free mmo out there that still keeps you hooked after level 10-20. All mmo's are in fact grind fests but these "free" ones just take it to a whole new level. And with things like micro-transactions, things just aren't that fun anymore.

SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SinfulPotato
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts
I find paying a monthly fee for a game stupid. This is coming from a guy who has over 200 days /played on ONE out of many characters (4 level 80s) in WoW.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
I find paying a monthly fee for a game stupid. This is coming from a guy who has over 200 days /played on ONE out of many characters (4 level 80s) in WoW.SinfulPotato
youre calling yourself stupid?
SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SinfulPotato
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts
[QUOTE="SinfulPotato"]I find paying a monthly fee for a game stupid. This is coming from a guy who has over 200 days /played on ONE out of many characters (4 level 80s) in WoW.bonafidetk
youre calling yourself stupid?

For playing WoW? Yes, I realized that I was wasting my time on something that wasn't even fun, running circle in a major city all day, constantly grinding for a better piece of gear. No one played anything for fun anymore, it is a big game of "I'm better then you" and going for the next upgrade. I miss the days on entering a instance or BG expecting nothing in return but a little excitement.
Kennedy3x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Kennedy3x
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Dragonica have bad graphics, but the mechanic of the game is fun. I like it. Anyway, you guys should to check about the new ones coming. There are a few exciting titles.
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

The only decent free MMO I've played is DDO and it's not really an MMO as it is heavily instanced.

k0r3aN_pR1d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 k0r3aN_pR1d3
Member since 2005 • 2148 Posts
I tend to get hooked to free MMO's and go on a rampage, then abruptly quit. It drives chaos sometimes since I integrate myself so much in the game. Sort of like the equivalent of the massive banks in the US failing.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 -Unreal-

[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

GPAddict

They never marketed it as an MMO, they have always referred to Guild Wars as a Competitive Online Role Playing Game.

When it was in beta, I remember them comparing it to MMOs, explaining how, unlike MMOs it is free to play. Even saying that it's a free to play online RPG doesn't mean anything. Online RPGs have been free to play for years, they had to turn that around though in order to promote their game.

Here's an interview you can hear one of them calling it an MMO:

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/guildwars/video/6111232/guild-wars-developer-interview-2?tag=videos;title;5

Also, in an interview, the interviewer continually refers to Guild Wars as an MMORPG, to which the developer doesn't correct and in fact brings up a point that it's a free game after the interviewer asks about why a customer should pick Guild Wars if they are looking to play an MMORPG.

http://www.rpgfan.com/features/Guild_Wars_4th_Anniversary/index.html

They just generally referred to it as an MMO or create direct competition with games of the MMO genre, constantly bringing up how it is, unlike the other games, free to play.I can find loads of times people working on the game or marketing it put it into direct competition with MMO games.

stoutlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 stoutlad
Member since 2005 • 717 Posts
Free to play MMOs are free for a reason. The subscription fee from "real" MMOs does serve a purpose.
GsrShane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GsrShane
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts

Wow, now weve got Shaiya, Guild Wars, Perfect World and DDO..those are all better than any other free MMOs and I think DDO is the first one to be considered. Coz its a famousone at leastplus the graphic is not bad, just wondering about its story.. anyway ask some friends toplay together willbe gr8 fun:D

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Most of them are terrible. Even the "good" ones like Runes of Magic are very weak compared to the p2p mmos. D&D online and Chricnicles of Spellborn are pretty much the only free mmos I would recommend but thats becouse they used to be p2p so they are well made.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 -Unreal-

Wow, now weve got Shaiya, Guild Wars, Perfect World and DDO..those are all better than any other free MMOs and I think DDO is the first one to be considered. Coz its a famousone at leastplus the graphic is not bad, just wondering about its story.. anyway ask some friends toplay together willbe gr8 fun:D

GsrShane
Guild Wars is not an MMORPG. Didn't you reading any of the posts in the thread? Or do you just think it is an MMORPG?
theafiguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#47 theafiguy
Member since 2006 • 962 Posts

Honestly, the only section of F2P gaming that has anything going for it is the FPS genre because they are catching up to pay to play games. I mean, yea, the typical F2P shooting game is horrible at best, but some have garnered some serious attention and one currently out (Alliance of Valiant Arms) is actually of high quality for an F2P game. If it was pay to play, it would have been great back in 2007. It's still a freakishly good game though.

821dan128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 821dan128
Member since 2007 • 678 Posts

i prefer paying