What difficulty do you usually play on?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts

I know if varies from game to game, but I usually play on normal modes, sometimes trending toward easy for shooters... It's not so much that I can't beat things on harder levels, but sometimes I like to kick back and enjoy the game without having to worry about being killed or w/e a bunch of times.... I really don't like to repeat levels, that's a pet peeve of mine...

What do you guys generally game at?

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Normal.
Fr0st3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Fr0st3d
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts
I play mostly on hard I dont know why I get almost not satisfaction when playing on easy or normal. But theres some game that are way to hard on hard setting
Chairman-Yin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Chairman-Yin
Member since 2006 • 286 Posts
normally i play through the whole campaign in easy or normal just to see the plot, then i beat it again on the hardest difficulty. (i try to anyway lol)
lim_ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lim_ak
Member since 2003 • 1545 Posts
I usully play a game through on normal first, just to get through it quickly. But after that if I really enjoyed playing it I'll try and do the hardest difficulty available. Some of the time I just skip that middle step and just go straight to getting my butt wooped online.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
First playthrough and normal and most of the time I don't touch the game again.
Rylsadar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Rylsadar
Member since 2007 • 541 Posts
Well i voted for "Zomg Insane Difficulty".If im not wrong,this should mean something like "Very Hard".
Buffalo_Soulja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Buffalo_Soulja
Member since 2004 • 13151 Posts

Whatever is the default, then work my way through it progressively on harder difficulties (if I actually liked it the first time through).

The only exception is the AD&D games. Always on the hardore rules difficulty, first time.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts

Well i voted for "Zomg Insane Difficulty".If im not wrong,this should mean something like "Very Hard".Rylsadar

I guess such an interpretation is acceptable :) I was thinking more along the lines of "hardest" or "insane" or "extreme." You know, things of that nature. It seemed a bit more interesting to name it z.i.d., though :D

BlackBart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 BlackBart2
Member since 2007 • 133 Posts
It depends on what kind of save system the game has. If I can save where ever I want I will play on higher difficulties. If the game has save points, I'll play on normal. I don't like having to go back through an entire section of a level if I die.
Xelioth1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Xelioth1
Member since 2006 • 286 Posts
pretty much always do hard these days. easy is stupidly easy to the point of not even being entertaining. normal is normally an enjoyable experience, but a bit too easy for me after playing so many games over the years that I can kinda predict the problems I'd run in to on normal (which I imagine is the same for most of the people here). hard is generally a good spot between stupid hard and boring, so I pick that one typically. Very Hard is generally not meant for people who are playing through their first time, and seeing as I'm not masochistic, I avoid this difficulty :p
DaRockWilder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaRockWilder
Member since 2002 • 5451 Posts
Hard...everything else is boring for me.
FrankZappa17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FrankZappa17
Member since 2007 • 239 Posts
normal\hard depends what game i play
NitroXXXCore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NitroXXXCore
Member since 2006 • 60 Posts
I play normal on all games. Then if I feel like playing it again I'll move on to the next level.
bmaisey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bmaisey
Member since 2004 • 324 Posts

At least hard, often Hardest, on my first play through. I normally find normal is just not challenging enough to be satisfying, although its still fun to go back to a particularly good level and run through slaughtering everyone :P.

Of course, sometimes it backfires... I would have played through CoD 4 for the first time on Hardened if i had realised what a b&*ch Veteran is, particularly with a terrible checkpoint system and no saving...lol. Hardened is super fun by comparison.

D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 D9-THC
Member since 2007 • 3081 Posts
I always play on the hardest difficulty available.
extra-life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 extra-life
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I usually play on normal modes, sometimes trending toward easy for shooters... It's not so much that I can't beat things on harder levels, but sometimes I like to kick back and enjoy the game without having to worry about being killed or w/e a bunch of times...Staryoshi87

I'd agree with that... I play games for the enjoyment of it, not to prove something to anyone. I put the 'casual' in casual gaming, I guess.

I always start out on normal level. I like a challenge, but if I'm not making progress, what's the fun in playing?

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts
If I want to relax and have fun, instead of throwing the mouse out the window, I play on easy/normal. I go to school and work some on the side, my kind of profession can be a little stressful, so the last thing I'm looking for after a crazy day is even more stressful games that piss me off. If the game actually gets better, more tense with higher difficulty settings and I've had a good, calm day, I go for one of the insane difficulties.
PS360Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#19 PS360Fanboy
Member since 2007 • 2096 Posts
Normal
IMP_ACT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 IMP_ACT
Member since 2005 • 221 Posts

I always used to play on normal but since FEAR (which I didn't find too difficult on V Hard) I've started selecting the next one up (Hard). Also I've been playing fps & CS for years now.

RTS depends though. I would play on hard if the damn cpus didn't rush at the first 5 mins in every game. Why do they all do that? Rush you & be a pain in the a*s for 20 mins then sit there & let you wipe them out? Even C&C3 was the same! I'd have thought they would've resolved this AI habit by now.

G-unit08_80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 G-unit08_80
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
i think normal is the standard one.hard is too hard and u get annoyed and spoils your mood.easy is juz boring.
karmageddon2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 karmageddon2k4
Member since 2004 • 919 Posts
I typically start playing on the hardest difficulty available from the start. I like a challenge.
fhoeiuwhdousah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fhoeiuwhdousah
Member since 2005 • 783 Posts
I play on whatever suits me, usually normal but if thats too hard ill play it on easy. If normal is too easy ill put it on hard. I rarely play easy though except i am playing far cry on easy atmbecause i havnt played a lot of PC games and find it really difficult even on easy lol. Also playing tiberium wars on normal and finding that tough. Getting FEAR soon so will wait and see what difficulty i play it on.
JJHw00t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JJHw00t
It really does vary from game to game, but i think that to get the best experience and the feeling of real completion, you need to use the hardest setting there is.
Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4551 Posts
Hard.
acidBURN1942

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 acidBURN1942
Member since 2002 • 4816 Posts
I always begin on Hard now a days. More of a challenge = longer gameplay time.
dayaccus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dayaccus007
Member since 2007 • 4349 Posts
I always play at normal and the games are fun at this difficulty, not too easy, not too hard
Zilor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#28 Zilor
Member since 2002 • 4355 Posts

Varies greatly, but usually either hard or whatever is hardest. I realized with CoD2 that I enjoyed every screaming second of that hellish nightmare more than I had an FPS in a while. Now if a game does hard badly, then i'll just do normal, there are games that's difficulty makes no sense and isn't balanced, it's hard just to put the option there, the game isn't tuned to function well on hard making it unfun.

Then there are some games which on max difficulty are just beyond me... like Guitar Hero... sigh... I can't move past medium through any of the three sequels, just occassional jaunts into hard, then getting my ass beat everytime by expert.

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

If there are three difficulty settings, I choose difficulty 2 (medium). If there are four, I choose difficulty 3 (medium/hard).

I usually prefer for games to be about the experience more than the challenge. There is certainly satisfaction in playing through a hard game, but I value fun over satisfaction, usually.

Phaedrus_Galt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Phaedrus_Galt
Member since 2007 • 63 Posts

If there are three difficulty settings, I choose difficulty 2 (medium). If there are four, I choose difficulty 3 (medium/hard).mfsa

Coward :)

Srinivassa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 Srinivassa
Member since 2003 • 671 Posts
I try to play on whatever amounts to "normal." It's easy to get screwed by difficulty settings though because different games do it differently. I played a TBS on "normal" and kept getting my ass kicked. I finally read a FAQ or the manual or something, and there were like 5 levels of difficulty below "normal." And it was actually said that "normal" would be almost impossible for any novice. Why did they call it "normal" then? And then there's normal on Ninja Gaiden, which kicks your ass, but originally, they didn't even have anything below normal. Other games, "normal" is so easy its pathetic (like KOTOR, but they made up for it in so many other areas).
teirdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 teirdome
Member since 2003 • 483 Posts

Like many others, I've been playing games on hard, but not quite the hardest recently. Started with Bioshock just because I didn't want the game to be over too quickly (and I didn't use the cheap respawn chamber) and has carried over since.

Gears of War on Hardcore was tough for the first little bit, just took some time to get used to really. Basically, I don't mind having a grossly accelerated learning curve and dying 3-4 times before I get it right, makes it more fun. Though to be honest, I got pretty frustrated in CoD4 when you're waiting for the dang chopper to get to you, died probably 10 times before I got it right.

BobZany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 BobZany
Member since 2004 • 1407 Posts

It depends on how the difficulty scales with the game, but generally I play my first time through on normal. A few years back, it used to be on easy, but I ended up blowing through games too quickly. With easier games, like Bioshock, I'll quickly switch to the hard mode. Otherwise, I save it for the next playthrough if I enjoy the game a bit and want more of a challenge.

I haven't played through too many games on the hardest modes. Call of Duty 2 is probably the last one, and it got too aggravating towards the end of the Russian campaign.

Kolossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Kolossi
Member since 2007 • 789 Posts

I first go on easy to see what im up against. Then I steadily make the difficulty higher.

doomsdaydave11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35 doomsdaydave11
Member since 2006 • 1159 Posts
Generally I try to beat it on hard. Easy is just a waste of time, and the game passes too fast in my opinion. Normal is good too, but I like hard because it usually makes the game last much longer.
makingmerich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 makingmerich

I always play the hardest setting because it's just a cake walk otherwise.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts
I usually play on Hard on FPS and normal on RTS/TBS
LahiruD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LahiruD
Member since 2006 • 2164 Posts
I play in Normal difficulty
iwokojance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 iwokojance
Member since 2005 • 1040 Posts
Normal.
banedonoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 banedonoes
Member since 2007 • 701 Posts
normal
osleyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 osleyee
Member since 2007 • 58 Posts

i always play normal every gamethat i play is really rare that ever play hard mode is not that i can not beat the game in the hard mode but is that i want to play others games but know that i read this interested topic i may start playing in hard mod only the games that i find most enjoble and addicted.

D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 D9-THC
Member since 2007 • 3081 Posts

I always begin on Hard now a days. More of a challenge = longer gameplay time.acidBURN1942

Exactly why I play on the hardest difficulty.

I have some sort of obsession with pushing games to their tactical limits to see what the devs true intentions were...and more specifically if their intentions are carried out properly.

Ever since seeing Mario speed runs I came to the realization that this "secret game" exists that offers more challenge than anything thought to be possible. It's more fun than anything imaginable to find a "secret challenge" and master it.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

It depends on the game type. I generally like the harder settings for the simple reason that I like the game to last longer. However, on some games the hardest setting is just stupid ridiculous (Civ IV *cough*). On RTS games, I'll generally play normal if there even is a difficulty setting for the campaign. FPS: usually hard. I don't even play those types of games much these days, but those seem to be the kinds that actually have difficulty settings more often. I never set the difficulty below normal, unless it's a strategy game with quite a learning curve, and that's just until I have some idea what I'm doing (Civ IV again).

I really can't stand it when games feel like a pushover, unless the game really isn't designed around the idea of player skill anyway, such as a RPG. Of course, I grew up on games that most people would consider generally more difficult than most of today's offerings, so maybe my perception is skewed in that direction in that regard. It might not even be that today's games are easier per se, but just that when you die, you usually aren't set back very much; the Jak and Daxter series is a perfect example of this.

ElectricNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ElectricNZ
Member since 2007 • 2457 Posts
Hardest.
Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#45 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Easy to Normal in some games. I like to play a game on easy just to learn about the game and its movements, then play it on a harder difficulty once Ive beaten it.
Galzakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 Galzakian
Member since 2004 • 5160 Posts
Normal. Or if there's another mode higher than Hard, Hard.
ninjadxt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47 ninjadxt
Member since 2007 • 227 Posts
depends on game genre, or how is game hard , but usually normal
Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points