what are your thoughts on star wars the old republic?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RVD92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 RVD92
Member since 2011 • 166 Posts

as a big fan of the KOTR games and star wars in general i cant wait for this game. But I'm afraid this game will be a bust like DCUO so give me your thoughts :D

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 genius2365
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts

as a big fan of the KOTR games and star wars in general i cant wait for this game. But I'm afraid this game will be a bust like DCUO so give me your thoughts :D

RVD92

As someone who has actually played the game and KOTOR, don't worry. The story part of the game is just as good as KOTOR and you have 8 classes to choose from. The combat is fun and am actually looking forward to it

--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

I loved the kotor games, I would have preferred a non-online game. But, I will disregard all the hype and the doom-n-gloomers, and see what the game is like in January. Then I will decide to buy it or not.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I've been craving to get back into an MMO, although I don't know if it's the wisest choice. I'll lay arms for Guild Wars 2, but I don't know for certain for TOR. Nothing about it has me interested.
Hekynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hekynn
Member since 2003 • 2164 Posts
Its frelling EPIC from the latest videos they uploaded.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Thanks to the NDA, I can't tell you what I think.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
If you want more KOTOR, this is a decent substitute for that. If you want a great MMO, you might have to think about it a little harder.
Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

I'm a bit worried. The concept and ambition is great, but I'm still worried that it will be "Just another MMO".

Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Croag821
Member since 2009 • 2331 Posts
People are going to be disappointed by it when they find out it's just a well made cookie cutter MMO with high quality voice acting and an interesting story. The thousands of gamers burnt out by the traditional theme park MMO model will have a hard time sticking with it in my opinion.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Un-Interesting at the moment. It's so status quo, there's not much to be said about it, other than the oodles of potential in its singleplayer sided stuff, which I'm interested in.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58534 Posts

don't worry, it won't be a bust. Theyre going with a tried and true formula, but putting a lot of effort into it. That is all you can ask for from an MMO these days, is that they nail the basics and do it well. CHanges can come later.

Also, DCUO and Star Trek Online were cash-ins, I don't think they realized just how serious and challenging the MMO market is.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58534 Posts

People are going to be disappointed by it when they find out it's just a well made cookie cutter MMO with high quality voice acting and an interesting story. The thousands of gamers burnt out by the traditional theme park MMO model will have a hard time sticking with it in my opinion.Croag821

why would anyone be disappointed by a well-made game that blends story and plot with a large online community?

as I tend to say: there is nothing wrong with vanilla, especially if it the best damn vanilla you ever had.

I think it will get old kind of fast, however, for MMO veterans.

Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Croag821
Member since 2009 • 2331 Posts

why would anyone be disappointed by a well-made game that blends story and plot with a large online community?

as I tend to say: there is nothing wrong with vanilla, especially if it the best damn vanilla you ever had.

I think it will get old kind of fast, however, for MMO veterans.

mrbojangles25

I think people will be disappointed because a lot of the MMO crowd is just burnt out on the theme park MMO model: Go to X area and do X quests to get to level X so you can do the quest/raids in X area and repeat throughout the game.

I think a lot of people will expect it to feel new and renew there passion for MMO's but the only thing setting it apart is the voice acting and story, it really doesn't innovate at all in terms of gameplay.

I do agree those looking for a generic themepark MMO won't be disappointed at all, it will be extremely polished and populated, but those looking for something more will have to wait for a game like Guild Wars 2.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

I have hope that it will turn out well.

I'm paid in full and ready to play.

theafiguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 theafiguy
Member since 2006 • 962 Posts
The only reason I'm looking forward to it is because it's not the same setting. I've always loved the MMO model, but I've always hated the fantasy/medieval horse carp that is present in almost every single MMO.
mkaliaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mkaliaz
Member since 2004 • 1979 Posts

I'm getting it. I plan to play it as primarily a single player experience and get a few solid months of entertainment out of it. I dont expect to play this long term but it may end up having lasting value.

damann22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 damann22
Member since 2004 • 7655 Posts

Since this will be my first MMO im going in with an open mind. Ill tell you what I feel come January 20 if I want to keep up the monthly subscription

murekkep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#18 murekkep
Member since 2005 • 758 Posts
Probably it will turn into f2p in 6-9 months.
Technomancer82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Technomancer82
Member since 2011 • 215 Posts

There is no doubt that this game is a lot more than DCU.

This is the probably *the* most important game launch ever for EA.

A huge amount of money, time and prestige has been pumped into ToR and BioWare is going to do everything in their power to make it a success.

I think we can expect a very solid MMO, which moves the genre forward in terms of creating an interesting narrative in an MMO, but probably does not otherwise revolutionize the genre.

It seems pretty clear that BioWare is content to use "standard" MMO mechanics for much of the game, such as the classic DPS/Healer/Tank trinity and the talent tree structure popularized by WoW.

I have already preordered and am looking forward to trying out ToR in a couple of months time :)

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

My thought's so far? Just another MMORPG with static hotkey combat. Oh but wait..... they have fully voiced "fetch quests" this time! So revolutionary! *sarcasm*.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

Probably it will turn into f2p in 6-9 months.murekkep

I honestly hope the game fails and BioWare dies in fiery train derail. But the game already has 500,000+ pre-order's right? Oh well...

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Elann2008

[QUOTE="murekkep"]Probably it will turn into f2p in 6-9 months.Jebus213

I honestly hope the game fails and BioWare dies in fiery train derail. But the game already has 500,000+ pre-order's right? Oh well...

You'd be surprised how quickly subscriber numbers could change in a matter of weeks or a few months. MMO market is rough, and not as easy as Blizzard makes it out to be. We saw it with Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, and so many before it. It's a community that is hard to please, but also a market that can reap so many benefits (money-wise) for the developer and publisher.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#23 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
^^. Gotta agree with you. A MMORPG, in my opinion, is a risky move. Sure, if it is successful you will get a lot of money but if it fails hard you will be in a bad position. MMORPGs require servers to be up 24/7 and that cost quite some money, plus they need to do weekly maintenance (I'm assuming they do the same as Blizzard). Community is the key. If you please your community they will continue with the game but if they find the game boring then you can say goodbye. Dunno about other developers but I know that if I made a MMORPG the first thing I'll do is hear what the community wants.
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

My thought's so far? Just another MMORPG with static hotkey combat. Oh but wait..... they have fully voiced "fetch quests" this time! So revolutionary! *sarcasm*.

Jebus213

And let's make it even more of a single player MMO than WoW by making every single class in the game a "pet" class. Seriously. Every single class get's a "companion". Really?

gamerzdaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gamerzdaily
Member since 2011 • 33 Posts

[QUOTE="RVD92"]

genius2365

As someone who has actually played the game and KOTOR, don't worry. The story part of the game is just as good as KOTOR and you have 8 classes to choose from. The combat is fun and am actually looking forward to it

Can you elaborate on the combat?
RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

According to the NDA, all I can say is that I am in the beta.

That being said, I am really looking forward to launch and glad I preorderedv my CE an hour after they went online. Take that as you will.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -wildflower-

According to the NDA, all I can say is that I am in the beta.

That being said, I am really looking forward to launch and glad I preorderedv my CE an hour after they went online. Take that as you will.

RossRichard

It seems we have had vastly different experiences with the beta (i.e. I won't be buying SWToR until I can pick it up for around $10). I really wish EA/Bioware would take a page from Blizzard and loosen its death-grip over the NDA so we could actually discuss the game, pros and cons. As it is, we have to be so vague when talking about the game that saying anything is next to useless.

lambalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 lambalot
Member since 2004 • 1798 Posts

Looks good but so did DCUO and look how that turned out.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RossRichard

It seems we have had vastly different experiences with the beta (i.e. I won't be buying SWToR until I can pick it up for around $10). I really wish EA/Bioware would take a page from Blizzard and loosen its death-grip over the NDA so we could actually discuss the game, pros and cons. As it is, we have to be so vague when talking about the game that saying anything is next to useless.

-wildflower-

It is important to remember that ToR isn't some magical game that everyone will love, no matter what. There will be people that like it for various reasons, and people that don't like it for various reasons. But yeah, they need to take down the NDA. Having the NDA still up a month before launch is a red flag to a lot of people.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#30 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
I will probably buy it at release and will play as single player game...play through each of the different classes stories. After that, unless they come out with new content right away, I'll probably quit. I have not interest in PvP or Raiding or any of that other MMO nonsense.
James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

I think it will be a fun game for people that like questing with heavy phasing. I don't think the PvE endgame will be all that great or PvP either, but the leveling should be fun. I'm not getting TOR myself but hope it's good for the people that do get it. I definitely think it could take 1-2million subscribers from WoW at least for the short term. Time will tell if the endgame can keep people playing it and not returning to WoW with the next expansion.

My opinions are from being an on and off WoW player. I don't see anything particularly great in TOR over WoW that I would want to drop all my WoW progress and start over in TOR. I'm not a hardcore player. It would take years for me to get to the same point in TOR. Full voice acting and better dialog systems are nice, but not enough for me to start over from scratch. Also, I don't have time for two subscription fee games. One game would get neglected, wasting the money I pay for an active account. If WoW ever goes free to play, I would definitely be trying out TOR (assuming it has progressed well).

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 -wildflower-

It is important to remember that ToR isn't some magical game that everyone will love, no matter what. There will be people that like it for various reasons, and people that don't like it for various reasons.RossRichard

I agree that nothing can appeal to everyone but...

I should fit squarely into their target demographic. I'm a MMORPG fan (although I am getting a bit tired of the same old song and dance after 15 years) and I am a Star Wars fan yet, for reasons I can't go into, I don't feel compelled to buy it at release. Even if I loved the game, I don't think I would buy it at release. I have some major concerns about how well this game will launch and I actually agree with their decision to limit launch copies. I really wish I could say more...

With all of that said, I did say I would buy it eventually (at a deeply discounted price, of course) so I obviously don't hate the game. It just seems kind of, meh...

Then again, for what it's worth, "meh" pretty much sums up my feelings about most of Bioware's recent games.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RossRichard

I should fit squarely into their target demographic. I'm a MMORPG fan (although I am getting a bit tired of the same old song and dance after 15 years) and I am a Star Wars fan yet, for reasons I can't go into, I don't feel compelled to buy it at release. Even if I loved the game, I don't think I would buy it at release. I have some major concerns about how well this game will launch and I actually agree with their decision to limit launch copies. I really wish I could say more...

With all of that said, I did say I would buy it eventually (at a deeply discounted price, of course) so I obviously don't hate the game. It just seems kind of, meh...

Then again, for what it's worth, "meh" pretty much sums up my feelings about most of Bioware's recent games.

-wildflower-

Well you are right, Bioware's quality has went down since the EA merger. Since you have been playing MMOs for so long, maybe you just have MMO burnout. All the signs were there that pointed to a 'WoW-like' MMO, maybe since I went into the beta with that mindset is the reason why I like it. It can be as simple as accepting what it is, for what it is. The MMO market has been getting stagnant since EQ, and it will likely stay that way for a very long time.

Heartagram_03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 Heartagram_03
Member since 2005 • 3697 Posts

Let me put it this way. I pre-ordered the standard edition, then I played the beta and quickly turned that standard to a collectors edition. The game surprised me that much. Many people complain that it's just WoW re-skinned as Star Wars. Luckily for me I never played WoW.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24000 Posts

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

RossRichard

Well you are right, Bioware's quality has went down since the EA merger. Since you have been playing MMOs for so long, maybe you just have MMO burnout. All the signs were there that pointed to a 'WoW-like' MMO, maybe since I went into the beta with that mindset is the reason why I like it. It can be as simple as accepting what it is, for what it is. The MMO market has been getting stagnant since EQ, and it will likely stay that way for a very long time.

Looking at various promising upcoming mmos. I dont know. Themepark mmos may see a revolution pretty soon. Furthermore, because of the following factors we may see the genre evolve/devolve soon soon.

1. Better internet connection: This means developers can do things they couldnt previously, because it would be too laggy to function properly. Looking at many upcoming mmos, we are seeing combat becoming more and more dynamic some even go for Action based combat.
  2. Better Tech and hardware: This can mean a lot more than just better graphics and sound. Physics can be implemented much better, this can also allow the games to handle much more things going on at once. Some changes (especially within physics) can be implemented in game mechancis. Furthermore, this may allow for better AI as well resuting in what could hopefully become better enemy AI and the likes.
  3. Changes in SP RPGs: RPGs have for the better or worse, changed. The mmorpg genre might adapt to some changes happening in sp rpgs.
  4. Consoles: The online capabilities from consoles is improving quite quickly. This may mean console only devs may end up making new mmos. This change can be for both the better and worse.
  5. Decline of WoW in combination of upcoming mmos: As soon as WoW loses its throne, the mmo that succeeds it will claim the crown, and the genre will copy cat that game to oblivion. Of the upcoming mmos some look to be pretty fresh. Kind of like with Half Life, it set the new bar and the standards it set was quite different from those set by DOOM. All it takes is one game to change the genre.
  6. MMO stagnation: As to further strengthen point 5. I see a lot of people who are getting tired of the same old formula, people want fresh new mechanics.
  7. Asian MMOs catching up: While I wouldnt say the average asian mmo is as good as your average western mmo. I can however say they have improved and evolved at a much faster rate than western mmos have. Various improvements include the removal of trends such as restrictive gender systems where you had to play as a male character if you were male irl, beginner classes being used a lot less, level caps are much lower, ect. Increasing competition from eastern mmos, may encourage western mmo devs to step up their game.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

don't worry, it won't be a bust. Theyre going with a tried and true formula, but putting a lot of effort into it. That is all you can ask for from an MMO these days, is that they nail the basics and do it well.

mrbojangles25

Has everyone here already accepted that a WoW clone is the only possibility for an MMO these days?

Guess I'll keep dreaming

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

don't worry, it won't be a bust. Theyre going with a tried and true formula, but putting a lot of effort into it. That is all you can ask for from an MMO these days, is that they nail the basics and do it well.

KHAndAnime

Has everyone here already accepted that a WoW clone is the only possibility for an MMO these days?

Guess I'll keep dreaming

I'm looking more forward to Guild Wars 2 myself. That game seems to have incredible amounts of variety. And it's not WoW so that's a plus.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11793 Posts

Hope it does well, I am interested in it. Its the only MMO I am really interested in anytime soon. All the other well known MMO's coming out in the near future, seem boring.

I love Star Wars. It looks nice, though I want to wait and see how it actually fairs once it launches and has been out a month or so.

If it does well within that time, I may have to get it. That is unless of course, Diablo III is just around the corner, then I will get TOR later, no sense in paying for TOR's Subscribtion (which I don't even know what it is) when most of my gaming time will go to Diablo III.

afflictatrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 afflictatrophy
Member since 2006 • 223 Posts

i loved kotor, and kotor2, i have a beta key for swtor, and i dont like it, i have let 2 other ppl use it, 1 person didn't like it either, and i don't know what the other thinks of it or if they still play it. the voice acting was cool at first for maybe the first 10 levels, but eventually i started to skip through most of it, because i didn't care about the npcs, they repeated things sometimes, and it just got boring to listen to them. It's story is not even close to as good as the original games, I got to the 30s and stopped, a lot of ppl in the Beta complained about the game starting to drag once they hit the 30s which i would agree with. and wait until you see what happens to...spoiler (every fourth letter) asdroiuejklvhytawdjn, it is lame, if you really want you can find out on google i'm sure. anyways, i've played mmos before and enjoyed them, didn't enjoy swtor, it didn't have anything to do with bugs, or balance, just didn't enjoy it, and for more reasons that i said. but I'm only one person, so maybe some of you will enjoy it.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Elann2008

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

KHAndAnime

Guess I'll keep dreaming

No need to dream that hard. Guild Wars 2 will be here soon. :)
BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

i loved kotor, and kotor2, i have a beta key for swtor, and i dont like it, i have let 2 other ppl use it, 1 person didn't like it either, and i don't know what the other thinks of it or if they still play it. the voice acting was cool at first for maybe the first 10 levels, but eventually i started to skip through most of it, because i didn't care about the npcs, they repeated things sometimes, and it just got boring to listen to them. It's story is not even close to as good as the original games, I got to the 30s and stopped, a lot of ppl in the Beta complained about the game starting to drag once they hit the 30s which i would agree with. and wait until you see what happens to...spoiler (every fourth letter) asdroiuejklvhytawdjn, it is lame, if you really want you can find out on google i'm sure. anyways, i've played mmos before and enjoyed them, didn't enjoy swtor, it didn't have anything to do with bugs, or balance, just didn't enjoy it, and for more reasons that i said. but I'm only one person, so maybe some of you will enjoy it.

afflictatrophy

Hmmm...I hope I like it.

MMOs always have slow spots here and there. As long as the "world/s" grab me then I'm sure I will find it fun.

I have been listening to the audio books to the game while I drive to work and back and they have me wanting to play it even more than before.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

If it is wow in starwars skins, I am not playing it. I couldnt be more burned out on the current mmo formula and for me to play another mmo, it would have to break that formula. I havent seen enough about it to make a solid judgement yet.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24000 Posts

If it is wow in starwars skins, I am not playing it. I couldnt be more burned out on the current mmo formula and for me to play another mmo, it would have to break that formula. I havent seen enough about it to make a solid judgement yet.

Advid-Gamer

Based on everything I have seen so far, it is very much a reskinned WoW. But with a story put in which should make the levelling experience more enjoyable. But outside of that, it doesnt really do much at all (if anything) to set itself apart from WoW.

• 2 Faction system
  • Three talent trees each with different roles.
  • Battlegrounds
  • Raids whose mechanics embrace the holy trinity. Coupled with overly scripted boss fights where you need to employ various "tactics".
  • Skills, no seriously. Several of the skills in SWTOR look awfully a lot like several skills in WoW. Examples include the Deathgrip spell and Power Word Shield spell.

The only things that really sets it apart from WoW is the companion system and the addition of a pot (which will only last for so long). Oh yeah, and there are 8 main "raids". Which is really small. Some games have 8 man parties.

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#44 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts

[QUOTE="murekkep"]Probably it will turn into f2p in 6-9 months.Jebus213

I dont see how a company like Bioware dying could possibly benefit gamers in any way at all.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Couldn't care less right now.. KOTOR1 was one of my favorite rpgs and games of all time.. Instead of getting a true sequel in singleplayer rpg's which are rare these days, we get a MMO, another genre that is over saturated.
Cataclism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Cataclism
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

KHAndAnime

Guess I'll keep dreaming

Hardly. If two games require a monthly subscription and one of them is clone of the other, most people will choose the original.

An MMO to be successful has to be different from WoW in at least a key aspect. Carbon copies of WoW will invariably "fail" imo.

ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#47 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts

I'm really, really excited for this game. Most anticipated game of 2011 for me, and I'll be first in line to get it in my store.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

I'm tired of this gameplay. Been doing it since Everquest. I'll be spending my time in Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

I'm tired of this gameplay. Been doing it since Everquest. I'll be spending my time in Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3.

sleepingzzz

Except that Everquest was far more challenging. ;)